• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO Assist

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
so...to get this back on track...has anyone heard anything back from tugsoft?

I haven't...

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
*cough* It's not Tug, it's Windows *cough*

Specifically a Windows upgrade is now likely to break a lot of old **** that used to work fine, and Microsoft doesn't care about most of the "old" stuff enough to fix the new stuff.

Philly

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Ok so TugSoft.Com has posted a fix. Check it out to get your UOAssist back.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I personally found it bizarre that it was being flagged as a FOUR-YEAR-OLD trojan.

Then again, the classic client itself was flagged about 10-12 years ago, out of nowhere, as being spam adware from Nexon (a game company completely unrelated to UO).

Morgana of Monglow

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I'm not sure if posting a older version is a "fix" . And both Google and Firefox told me that the TugSoft website has been reported as a malicious website - so - i had to tell the browser to "go straight and shut up (lol) " . I've downloaded the older version and BOOM, my IoBit deleted it even if it's on the white list, trusted etc etc as same as the TugSoft webpage and it's mirrors . Isn't "just" my securety program but, as i said, it's also Firefox and google - wich is absolutely weird because if I scan the executable it's 100% clean! Nothing hard to fix , it only need to "revert from quarantine" . Weird, still .

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Chrome says when going to UOAssist download and install :
*edit* most subpages on that website are flagged as malicious too

The site ahead contains harmful programs
Attackers on www.tugsoft.com might attempt to trick you into installing programs that harm your browsing experience (for example, by changing your homepage or showing extra ads on sites you visit). Learn more

The UOA Updater doesn't install the "fixed" version.

Last edited:

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So because you're too shortsighted with your love for EC, you're recommending someone who feels like they're having mini-seizures when using EC to use EC. Explain?
If a game gave me seizures of any kind, I think I would have quit playing it a long time ago, and anything else like it. EC gives me seizures but nothing else does...right.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If a game gave me seizures of any kind, I think I would have quit playing it a long time ago, and anything else like it. EC gives me seizures but nothing else does...right.
WOW He didn't say UO gave him seizures did he, no he did not. He stated that the EC gave him seizures. How do you know that any other game client doesn't do the same did you ask him, no you did not but please feel free to interject more of your BS insight.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Does anybody have any other way to get in touch with Tug because IMHO it is starting to look like the site itself may have been hacked/taken over. For those of you that are still using UOAssist please let us know if you have any problems with it.

Morgana of Monglow

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Maybe he don't know - still - that there ARE problems on the website/files . It happened to the ccleaner while the program was infected and the developper didn't realized it ....so 1000000000000000000000000 person downloaded it...and NO, the updater doesn't install the updated ( older! ) version and if I download it (manually) it get deleted. I 100% trust my IoBit BitDefender Total Securety . So "can't be me" .

Morgana of Monglow

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
"If your virus program is flagging UOAssist.exe as a suspected virus/trojan ... you can download UOAssist.exe from the Updates page which should help." lol ? the "new" older version is also infected ...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have played games since pong came out. Then moved to Atari.

The EC gives me a headache within seconds. It makes my eyes hurt like I have the wrong glasses on. I can't look at a screen shot of it for more than a few seconds.

No other game has done that to me.

Troll The T Hunter

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
newsflash maybe chrome, safari, edge and all the anti virus programs are warning you correctly. Why does it seem impossible to all these people that the files are malicious? Maybe tugsofts site got hacked. Is it really worth having UO assist to take that risk? Has the developer replied to any emails explaining whats going on?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"If your virus program is flagging UOAssist.exe as a suspected virus/trojan ... you can download UOAssist.exe from the Updates page which should help." lol ? the "new" older version is also infected ...
only if your browser allows you to go to that page.

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Okay. So I did a little testing of my own and here is what I found: I tried both UOAssist and Tugsoft.com on Jirel's computer. No errors, virus warnings or anything. I then tried on my computer aaaaannnnd Sweet Anteater of Santa Anita...It blew up like a Washington Capitals-Pittsburgh Penguins game. DANG! Jirel and I both run the latest Kaspersky Internet Security suite. (Please spare me the "Commie Antivirus" comments). I looked at both my configuration and Jirel's. I found one tiny difference :

So I check under the threats and exclusions :
KSettings1.jpg

What I found was that I had the option circled below checked and Jirel did not.
Ksettings2.jpg

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Okay spoke too quick LOL. I finally got the windows 10 update on my laptop. For those that don't know the new windows 10 1803 update wasn't compatible with Alienware laptops. So we Alienware owners had to wait for Microsucks to release a compatible version of the 1803. Which we got today. I updated and BOOM...Google safe browsing screams virus. It says that someone reported Tugsoft as a unsafe site and that UOAssist contains a virus. I have an email addy for Tugsoft I'll give him a shout.

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Got a reply from Tugsoft:

"
It is flagging pages that have the download link on it.
So I’ve changed them as well and that should clear up at some time in the future when google rescans and feels good about it.

"

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Got a reply from Tugsoft:

"
It is flagging pages that have the download link on it.
So I’ve changed them as well and that should clear up at some time in the future when google rescans and feels good about it.

"
Did you use another E-Mail other than his web site. Did he have an answer why Norton and other sites were still blocking it.

KimDeago

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
When you have multiple accounts and have paid Tugsoft for UO Assist for each of the accounts, it is frustrating to not have access to the PAID FOR program. I still can not download it after Norton deleted it. Any suggestions? Real helpful suggestions and not Troll fodder please.

Morgana of Monglow

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The biggest problem to me not having UOA is UOAuto map needs it for my T-Hunter/MIBs and a dress macro
Yeah, i'm on the same pond...i DO use the enhanced for the fishing stuff (with Pinco's UI) and i got used to it but...isn't the same like the Classic client, no. T-Hunting with EC is still bit tricky to me, both with the "in game" map or UoCartographer . And i have tons of lvl 6 maps to do, still :/

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
after tugsoft said they had fixed the file all I did was restore the exe that had been quaranteened and started it like always. It downloaded an update and it worked again without any trouble.

Morgana of Monglow

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
upd1.jpg upd2.jpg

This is what i get when I start it (since the new version) and, of course, it won't update . It was FINE before the "new version"...

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
after tugsoft said they had fixed the file all I did was restore the exe that had been quaranteened and started it like always. It downloaded an update and it worked again without any trouble.
So you took the file out of quarantine and told your virus program that it was ok.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
yes.
before tugsoft posted the update the file was quaranteened again immediately after I took it out of quaranteen, even when I told the program to make an exception.
now it seems alright.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Good luck Max but everything is still being blocked by Norton and all my browsers

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With all this new security stuff and Win10 you need to mark as safe your game files and UOA and Pinco and any other related game files.

Find in security areas in your antivirus firewall area called whitelists or exceptions and go thru and make every one of your game and game related files exceptions.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Did you use another E-Mail other than his web site. Did he have an answer why Norton and other sites were still blocking it.
Don't have to ask.

Because the whole process of "what's not safe" these days is "block at any hint, even if it's false", and "confirm the issue's been fixed 'whenever we get around to it'.". And too many of them base the judgement off each other.

I've seen several sites over the last 10 years get flagged (rightfully or not), and even though the issue got fixed within 24 hours, it took the security types up to a month or more to clear the fixed site as no longer being unsafe.

Currently, Google won't even allow download of the fixed files, that others have already downloaded, scanned, and found clean with other browsers.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
well maybe you need to email him again then * shrugs*
The only E-Mail I have is the web site in question and if it has been taken over then the person answering you would be the hacker not Tug or did that thought never cross your mind.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sorry but you are asking us to blindly take the word of some gamers and not the advice of professionals that deal with viruses all the time. Way to many virus programs are hitting this along with different web browsers and you say just tell our virus programs/browsers to ignore the threat, no thank you.

Morgana of Monglow

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Sorry but you are asking us to blindly take the word of some gamers and not the advice of professionals that deal with viruses all the time. Way to many virus programs are hitting this along with different web browsers and you say just tell our virus programs/browsers to ignore the threat, no thank you.
Forget the post were basically we're told to open every tcp/ip port , disable the antivirus ( exceptions ) and put everything on the whitelist . This is NOT what we'll have to do. Now I can look "bit rude" but something HAS to be said : we paid for a program . We should have it perfect as it used to be. And, to those who trust everything over the internet please let me be more clear : there are persons who run accounts wich are upto TWENTY years old : yes, they can be a fortune if sold . What about if we get hacked ? Everything like rares etc will be sold in NO time . I don't think this is sort of a nightmare a veteran player will feel . Or, better, not me . So that's why we simply can't trust this thing (uoassist issue) .

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am not telling anyone here what to do. I simply told you what worked for me.

The reason I am not totally worried about being hacked though is that we had the very same issue a couple of times in the past. Just search this forum and you'll find at least one thread about it. Every time it was an issue with an update of UOA that got it flagged as malware.

Morgana of Monglow

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
There is a "fix" wich correctly download AND the Amazon splash screen works without any issue. That said, it try to download something and it tell (0) files successfull and then it won't start . Or better, it won't work for me :/

Morgana of Monglow

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
FIXED !! Finally i have it working without issues and it DOES looks clean . It was "locked" because it didn't download the uoassist.dll . I had it on a diff pc, saved "just because you'll never know " . So i only had to copy the .dll on the installation program and voila', problem solved. Now, nothing like my advanced system care nor IoBit internet securety tell bad news . YAY !

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am not telling anyone here what to do. I simply told you what worked for me.

The reason I am not totally worried about being hacked though is that we had the very same issue a couple of times in the past. Just search this forum and you'll find at least one thread about it. Every time it was an issue with an update of UOA that got it flagged as malware.
It never gotten flagged as malware it just would not work. I have been here for 20 years and this is the first time that UOA has done this.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I remember at least 1 other time it has done that within the last 15 years...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
BTW, tested.

Took the UOAssist files from an unaffected computer.
Replaced the affected files on another computer with them.
Removed the program from exclusion in AV

Ran UO Assist.
Patcher resolved normally, no Virus warning or Quarantine.

If tugsoft was hacked, and it was someone other than tug there leading us on, the patch would have resulted in a repeat infection. Instead, it's back to a reverted state, other than the ads added to the patcher. Just like Tug said he was doing in the emails.

The problem is that currently, the paranoia of browsers are keeping people from fixing the issue by means other than brute force (the above).

KimDeago

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
BTW, tested.

Took the UOAssist files from an unaffected computer.
Replaced the affected files on another computer with them.
Removed the program from exclusion in AV

Ran UO Assist.
Patcher resolved normally, no Virus warning or Quarantine.

If tugsoft was hacked, and it was someone other than tug there leading us on, the patch would have resulted in a repeat infection. Instead, it's back to a reverted state, other than the ads added to the patcher. Just like Tug said he was doing in the emails.

The problem is that currently, the paranoia of browsers are keeping people from fixing the issue by means other than brute force (the above).
Sorry to feel stupid but, could you write the steps to accomplish. I still can not get it to work. It downloads but does not update. Starts UO but does not start UO Assist. Any help would be appreciated.

Morgana of Monglow

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Sorry to feel stupid but, could you write the steps to accomplish. I still can not get it to work. It downloads but does not update. Starts UO but does not start UO Assist. Any help would be appreciated.
As i wroted on a previous post (and it was intended as a "tip&hints") you have to copy the uoassist.dll on the UoAssist installation folder. I had the same : it started without issues ( virus etc ARE fine ) but NOT downloading and then nothing else . So you have to find the .dll (eg) on a second computer etc etc .

KimDeago

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
As i wroted on a previous post (and it was intended as a "tip&hints") you have to copy the uoassist.dll on the UoAssist installation folder. I had the same : it started without issues ( virus etc ARE fine ) but NOT downloading and then nothing else . So you have to find the .dll (eg) on a second computer etc etc .
Did as you suggested. Works like a charm. Thank you.