• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A different sort of character - Mystic Spellweaving Bard

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I came back to UO a few years ago (technically I never left, just didn't log in). Took a long time to get up to speed, including making the switch from CC to EC (which was a great change, btw). I maintained 3 accounts (added a 4th primarily because the house behind my main house fell, and I placed a keep there, so I have 3 homes right next to each other now.

I don't have a lot of free time to play, and don't let it interfere with RL, so I get 20 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes in the evening. Sometimes I'll get a few hours on the weekend, but not very often, maybe every 6 months or so. But with 4 accounts, I have 27 characters on a single shard to play with, and I've discovered playing somebody new every day keeps this game very fresh. In fact, when I get a few hours, I stick with the same character all day (except for things like repairs, moving secures, that sort of thing). And I've done my best to make sure every single character is different, with a different mix of skills. I have pure mages, bards, paladins, crafters, tamers, treasure hunters, miners and gatherers, you name it. It's fun to play somebody different every day.

I pick the character I want to play by day of the month - today is the 20th, so it's account #3, character #6's turn. (From the 28th-31st I usually treasure hunt, it's my favorite). Today's character's name is Ogmios, and he's been an interesting challenge to play. Here are his skills / goals -

Discord 35.3 (goal 120, mastery 3)
Focus 120 (goal 120)
Meditation 41.5 (goal 0)
Music 100 (goal 120)
Mysticism 117.4, goal 120
Peacemaking 88.0 (goal 0, but I have room to train for now before I put it on a soulstone)
Provoke 99.4 (goal 120, mastery 3)
Spellweaving 118.4 (goal 120, mastery 2)

The challenge trying to play him this morning is that, without either magery or weapon skill, there's no offensive capability except a Rising Colossus. No ability to invis except for pots.

Plenty of ways to heal, though not in the ways most of my character have. Trying to get used to that mysticism healing stone is a challenge. I was fighting some liches near my home for practice, and eventually used mass sleep on him instead of invising and get his target off of me.

Playing with his suit, not sure SDI is the best choice, though WoD would be aided a lot. I'm thinking a suit with a lot of defense chance increase would be better since I'll often be on foot without the ability to invis.

Anyway, not a typical template. I think once skills are up I'll be able to tackle Destard, provoking dragons onto greater dragons.

What do you think about this different sort of character? I couldn't figure out whether I should post this in the bard forum or spellcaster forum and decided here in UHall made more sense.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To where?
LOL. Ya because this forum is so busy. We cant handle these off topic things. And the Bard forum has a total of 27 replies to the top three threads.

To the bard forum....
He is asking about the build over all and wants info on healing and damage. He is wanting info on how to supplement the bard part.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
You know, just forget it. This forum has been mostly full of whining for years. No wonder old vets don't return and new players won't visit. Y'all cover everybody that visits with acid like y'all are a bunch of slimes in the Ice Dungeon.

A post like this one doesn't fit in the Bard forum (move this to the Spellcaster's forum!) or in the Spellcaster's forum (move this to the Bard forum!). And those sub-forums forums are practically dead, anyway. Those forums have stickied posts called "New Updated FAQ with 2012 gameplay changes needed!" at the top. Sounds like if I don't whine about something in Uhall, it's not welcome here.
UHall's forum description says, "This is the place for general discussion about Ultima Online gameplay, development issues, and related Ultima Online issues. Please keep posts on topic, and use the Stratics Off Topic forum for off-topic posts!"

Is posting a peculiar character template considered "gameplay?" One would think so, if one wasn't so busy acid splashing people with the same tired "eliminate Trammel!" or "Felucca only shard!" threads that have been essentially a single steady drone of people criticizing each other since 1999 when I first started playing. I thought I'd try something more positive and we can all see how well *that* worked out.

Pfft. I'm going back to Lake Superior and hang around Pawain. He makes the game fun.

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You know, just forget it. This forum has been mostly full of whining for years. No wonder old vets don't return and new players won't visit. Y'all cover everybody that visits with acid like y'all are a bunch of slimes in the Ice Dungeon.

A post like this one doesn't fit in the Bard forum (move this to the Spellcaster's forum!) or in the Spellcaster's forum (move this to the Bard forum!). And those sub-forums forums are practically dead, anyway. Those forums have stickied posts called "New Updated FAQ with 2012 gameplay changes needed!" at the top. Sounds like if I don't whine about something in Uhall, it's not welcome here.
UHall's forum description says, "This is the place for general discussion about Ultima Online gameplay, development issues, and related Ultima Online issues. Please keep posts on topic, and use the Stratics Off Topic forum for off-topic posts!"

Is posting a peculiar character template considered "gameplay?" One would think so, if one wasn't so busy acid splashing people with the same tired "eliminate Trammel!" or "Felucca only shard!" threads that have been essentially a single steady drone of people criticizing each other since 1999 when I first started playing. I thought I'd try something more positive and we can all see how well *that* worked out.

Pfft. I'm going back to Lake Superior and hang around Pawain. He makes the game fun.

Whoa whoa whoa. Slow down chief. Sheesh.

Your template looks pretty solid. I too am building a Mystic Bard. I have the 120 Disco, music, and provoke stoned. Working the Mystic now.

Also building a T-Hunter and Tamer. I always appreciate template ideas.

I was just simply answering your question "to where..."

Lets simmer down a bit and have fun!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Someone will probably answer your post here. It is summer and things are quiet. The Mods will decide where posts go.

There are players who use magery and use spells and EVs for damage. The RC is not bad. Last year I used my Throwing Mystic in the Kotl city event and pretty much used just the RC.

Discording is fun, but you cant discord the lesser spawn onto the Boss because tamers kill all of them when they get close. It is hectic with tamers in Doom so you can discord that spawn onto the DF often.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Another player on LS is building a toon.

upload_2018-6-20_15-30-17.png

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Have a human char. Gives you 20% to hide.

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I actually might try this. I currently have an Archer Bard. Hes not very good though....that Mystic/Spellweaving sounds fun though.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
The challenge trying to play him this morning is that, without either magery or weapon skill, there's no offensive capability except a Rising Colossus.
This part I did not understand, Mysticism itself has plenty of offensive spells? Bombard, Hailstorm (will be nice on the Dragons with a slayer book!), Grav Hur, and also Spellweaving has the area spells of Essence of Wind and Thunderstorm?
Trying to get used to that mysticism healing stone is a challenge.
This is something I FULLY agree with! My mystic mage has had her healing stone in her bagpack for years! Never remember to use it until my health is full already through other means...

Interesting template, indeed will take some getting used to I can imagine! How do you get around without magery or chiv? The charges in the runebooks?

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I came back to UO a few years ago (technically I never left, just didn't log in). Took a long time to get up to speed, including making the switch from CC to EC (which was a great change, btw). I maintained 3 accounts (added a 4th primarily because the house behind my main house fell, and I placed a keep there, so I have 3 homes right next to each other now.

I don't have a lot of free time to play, and don't let it interfere with RL, so I get 20 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes in the evening. Sometimes I'll get a few hours on the weekend, but not very often, maybe every 6 months or so. But with 4 accounts, I have 27 characters on a single shard to play with, and I've discovered playing somebody new every day keeps this game very fresh. In fact, when I get a few hours, I stick with the same character all day (except for things like repairs, moving secures, that sort of thing). And I've done my best to make sure every single character is different, with a different mix of skills. I have pure mages, bards, paladins, crafters, tamers, treasure hunters, miners and gatherers, you name it. It's fun to play somebody different every day.

I pick the character I want to play by day of the month - today is the 20th, so it's account #3, character #6's turn. (From the 28th-31st I usually treasure hunt, it's my favorite). Today's character's name is Ogmios, and he's been an interesting challenge to play. Here are his skills / goals -

Discord 35.3 (goal 120, mastery 3)
Focus 120 (goal 120)
Meditation 41.5 (goal 0)
Music 100 (goal 120)
Mysticism 117.4, goal 120
Peacemaking 88.0 (goal 0, but I have room to train for now before I put it on a soulstone)
Provoke 99.4 (goal 120, mastery 3)
Spellweaving 118.4 (goal 120, mastery 2)

The challenge trying to play him this morning is that, without either magery or weapon skill, there's no offensive capability except a Rising Colossus. No ability to invis except for pots.

Plenty of ways to heal, though not in the ways most of my character have. Trying to get used to that mysticism healing stone is a challenge. I was fighting some liches near my home for practice, and eventually used mass sleep on him instead of invising and get his target off of me.

Playing with his suit, not sure SDI is the best choice, though WoD would be aided a lot. I'm thinking a suit with a lot of defense chance increase would be better since I'll often be on foot without the ability to invis.

Anyway, not a typical template. I think once skills are up I'll be able to tackle Destard, provoking dragons onto greater dragons.

What do you think about this different sort of character? I couldn't figure out whether I should post this in the bard forum or spellcaster forum and decided here in UHall made more sense.
This template is fun to play, you may peacemake the lich and bombard it.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I made one about 8 years ago. Its fun but has limited use
Mysticism offensive spells will not hit too hard without Focus or Imbuing? So you main mystic offense will be Rising Colossus whose strength will depend on mystic mastery and mysticism. But you will get all the mystic heals etc, plus youll get all the SW buffs, and youll get disco and provo rocking the place. You will use recall scrolled books to move around. You may need some potion buffing mods to help, and use pots to drop on mods. But this sounds like a ton of fun.
No this post is ok here. If one argues about it, where else should it go? Caster forum/Bard forum not so sure about it.
You are a brave soul to try this toon. It will take a while to build and fix. I would be interested to know how it goes, and what it can do..

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's still my opinion that as soon as a player casts Invis or hides, any summon should also hide (bonded) or disappear (summons). Being able to cast RC and then invising should have never been allowed. Players are always in an uproar over things that shouldn't be allowed in PvP, but some pretty ridiculous stuff is allowed for PvM.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I use runebooks with charges to get around. And yesterday, since I didn't have any invis pots with me, I used Mass Sleep which apparently only works on 1 lich at a time.

Today is the 21st, so I'm playing the last character on account #3. Being the last character, he ends up being walking Soulstone, but I still try to play him

Yes I have a spreadsheet. Don't judge. Every morning I have to refresh my memory on what skills are available.

upload_2018-6-21_10-22-56.png

Not a lot of possibility there. I'm trying to get the hang of casting mirror images and getting the mobs to chase them.

Tomorrow we move back up to the top, the more developed chars. Looks like Khyrian need to select a mastery.
upload_2018-6-21_10-26-12.png

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Mods are getting sloppy! It should go to the Spell Casters forum. The Devs nerfed most bards into being useless. Everything high end is pretty much bard proof! 120 Bard skills with slayer instruments have such a low chance to be effective anymore. Or the target is just bard proof period.