• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO Assist

Philly

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I just tried logging on with UO Assist as my assistant =] and it had a patch and my computer has ID'd assist as a virus. Did this guy get hacked? Is this a real Patch? This has never ever never never ever happened before *gasp* *afraid to use it*

DrVenkman

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I just turned off my avast for a min started the client up with uo assist and turned avast back on no problems here.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just tried logging on with UO Assist as my assistant =] and it had a patch and my computer has ID'd assist as a virus. Did this guy get hacked? Is this a real Patch? This has never ever never never ever happened before *gasp* *afraid to use it*
You already used it by patching but if you need to run a virus scan to be on the safe side. I have 1 active and 2 passive virus programs and none of them got a hit.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried logging in last night to check on my ship I've left sitting at the Sea Market and got a virus warning from UOA. I had to log in straight to the CC to reach the game. Certainly something new.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You already used it by patching but if you need to run a virus scan to be on the safe side. I have 1 active and 2 passive virus programs and none of them got a hit.
I just relogged into UO using UOA and I no longer have UOA as Norton just deleted it as a virus LOL

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

could it be that tugsoft added an add to the splash screen??

I believe so!
I had those adds yesterday and did not have this problem so something else may have changed but in order to get UOA back I have to reload it from TUG because somehow NORTON didn't quarantine it it deleted UOA LOL

MedeaDF

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also got a Virus warning while updating (the file was then moved to quarantine):

Gen:Variant.Barys.57842 (B)
And this annoying amazon junk on the start page of UOA... please. o_O

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is what changed with UOA
UOAssist updates
UOAssist.exe 1.9.0 - Jun 17, 2018
  • Updated embedded UpdateAce.dll to better support ads.
  • Updater news page now is loaded from UOAssist updates
  • Changed server names from updateace.com to tugsoft.com to help with SSL issues on XP.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tugsoft just made itself vulnerable to malware in. advertisments? I'm done with UOA until this new brainfart feature is gone. Adware is way to prone to having malware in it.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Tugsoft just made itself vulnerable to malware in. advertisments? I'm done with UOA until this new brainfart feature is gone. Adware is way to prone to having malware in it.
Doesn't adware usually go with free apps, I remember paying Tug for UOA. Guess he wants to milk UOA again, maybe he should just take off the key and let it go for free or let someone that plays UO just have it.

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its no problems with the new update - its a false alert, so you could go and verify it in the AV program to be safe.

Fizzleton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
same problem here: symantec deleted all uoassist files, don't have assist anymore....

Grummelbart

Visitor
I have the same message with Emsisoft Antimalware. Since I trust my anti-malware more than a website that displays unsolicited Amazon ads, I won't use UOAssist until Tugsoft has released a clean update.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I had the very same problem (McAfee) quarantined it and I had to go in and tell it NOT to

Lady Sparkles

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I had the very same problem (McAfee) quarantined it and I had to go in and tell it NOT to

What version of Windows do you run? I have Windows 10 and a newer copy of McAfee and I can NOT get the stupid things to load UOA. It keeps deleting it no matter what I seem to do! LOL Any help would be appreciated. :)

Lady Sparkles of Napa Valley

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What version of Windows do you run? I have Windows 10 and a newer copy of McAfee and I can NOT get the stupid things to load UOA. It keeps deleting it no matter what I seem to do! LOL Any help would be appreciated. :)

Lady Sparkles of Napa Valley
run windows 7 :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
In the McAfee I use

1. Open McAfee
  2. Look for the link called "Navigation"; click it. It will open up a different list of commands.
  3. In the "Features" column of the Navigation Center, scroll down to "Quarantined items"; click it to open the Quarantine area.
  4. Open up the list of quarantined items, restore UOASSIST
  5. Go back to the Navigation Center; click "Real-Time Scanning"
  6. Click on "Excluded files" on real-time scanning, and add UOASSIST

Lady Sparkles

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
In the McAfee I use

1. Open McAfee
  2. Look for the link called "Navigation"; click it. It will open up a different list of commands.
  3. In the "Features" column of the Navigation Center, scroll down to "Quarantined items"; click it to open the Quarantine area.
Thank you so much! I just had to turn off McAfee for now. I can't seem to add UOAssist to the list for some reason, but I got it going! Thank you for your help!! It is greatly appreciated!! ;)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thank you so much! I just had to turn off McAfee for now. I can't seem to add UOAssist to the list for some reason, but I got it going! Thank you for your help!! It is greatly appreciated!! ;)
If you have real-time scanning off you might have to turn it on to exclude. You also have to make sure you restore it from quarantine, or it won't be there TO Exclude.

In the McAfee I use

1. Open McAfee

Last edited:

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
great same problem here and now I can't even move the UOA files back from quaranteen for some reason.

Does anyone have tugsoft's email adress?

MedeaDF

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have the same message with Emsisoft Antimalware. Since I trust my anti-malware more than a website that displays unsolicited Amazon ads, I won't use UOAssist until Tugsoft has released a clean update.

Exactly what I'm doing now (also using Emsisoft btw).

Not trusting UOA until its solved its adware/junk problems! o_O

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
the only email adress I was able to find is UOAssist at tugsoft.com

I sent a report there including a link to this thread - hope this helps. Might be a good idea if more than one person sends in a report though...

Also I seem to vaguely remember that someone had made contact with tugsoft via facebook or some other social media platform. Might be worth a try

Morgana of Monglow

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Yep same problem.....my IoBit Internet Secure quarantined it but it ALWAYS delete the new file . Let's see if the TugSoft guy realize that he HAS a problem..

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
(facepalm)

The point is, Lex, that he's resorting to ads to help fund keeping what little support he can provide for it, active.

One-time fees of $10 are great for something that's got a short lifespan.

But, there's few new UOA purchases, and most of us paid our $10 over a decade ago. 15+ years ago, for my accounts.

Now, maybe he could set up a Patreon to take donations to keep UOA up and running, with occasional updates, but the only other viable options are the click-through links.

I actually know several professionals that ask, for additional income, if someone's going to buy something from Amazon, to click through their links, then go from there to the actual item the buyer wants, because as long as the buyer comes in through the page, the page gets income, even if the item advertised on the page is a novel and the thing eventually bought is hardware.

Papang

Adventurer
for $ 10, it's more than honest.
But when the developer does not respond to any email, refuses to try to evolve his tools in the era of the game.
And when you look that the last update is :
'Updated embedded UpdateAce.dll to better support ads.'
' Replace pathfinding with follow cursor ' do we really need this ?

no no no please.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If he really went with the time, he would have put UOAssists on a monthly subscription model :cool:

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agrees Basara!

I love UOA and have it on a couple dozen accounts and I have emailed them before to see if I could send donations around the holidays as thanks but no luck.

I'd totally chip in if there was a way to do so.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
ok Now there another problem, first off UOA was removed by the PC from my task bar this morning, and the file is once more is gone from my download, then Chrome has blocked any downloads saying the file is dangerous. Microsoft Edge is also having problems with it as well as Fire Fox I cannot get UOA to come up at all, and I REFUSE to use the EC mainly to seizures I have when using the EC, email to report this is [email protected]

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Ok McAfee still had the file and I was able to retrieve it and run it once more

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Took only 40 posts, but here we are... :popcorn: Tell us why you hate the EC while we are waiting for the Adware to be removed from UOA. Seems legit..

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Took only 40 posts, but here we are... :popcorn: Tell us why you hate the EC while we are waiting for the Adware to be removed from UOA. Seems legit..
How about those that do use EC and set up vendors that CC cannot shop from as everything is stacked, yet there is a way in EC to fix that when they stock a vendor. Really hard to shop from those vendors especially when they deep in the woods with heavy spawn running around and the doors are not set for public uses.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How about those that do use EC and set up vendors that CC cannot shop from as everything is stacked, yet there is a way in EC to fix that when they stock a vendor. Really hard to shop from those vendors especially when they deep in the woods with heavy spawn running around and the doors are not set for public uses.
And that has what to do with this thread? :rolleyes:

I was merely pointing out that those snarky remarks are totally uncalled for, but hey, let the client wars begin (again..)