• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Steam...

Belmarduk

Adventurer
Hi

I heard from an unverified source that EA and Valve/Steam are currently discussing to place all EA Games on to Steam (DLC must still be downloaded via Origin)

This would mean that ..finally.. UO would also be on Steam (which in the long-run is the only way UO can survive - with BS otherwise being unable/unwilling to advertise)

Has anyone heard about this ?

Greets B.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not gonna happen, they had a very public falling-out over royalties if EA games were put on Steam.
The outcome was that EA pulled all their games from Steam and have decided to launch there own version within Origin.
Just google EA and Steam conflict ect.
Many reports and rumour but as we all know, EA never release the real reason they do anything. ;)

UO will never be on Steam.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hi

I heard from an unverified source that EA and Valve/Steam are currently discussing to place all EA Games on to Steam (DLC must still be downloaded via Origin)

This would mean that ..finally.. UO would also be on Steam (which in the long-run is the only way UO can survive - with BS otherwise being unable/unwilling to advertise)

Has anyone heard about this ?

Greets B.
Explain how a game that's been around 20 years "can only survive" with the help of Steam ?

Belmarduk

Adventurer
Explain how a game that's been around 20 years "can only survive" with the help of Steam ?
On steam it would get new players - after the first "hype" I do not think EJ will be enough - I think we all know how UO has been doing the last 10+ years... - how do you think the declining curve will look like in 2,3 years if everything is kept as current ?...

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On steam it would get new players - after the first "hype" I do not think EJ will be enough - I think we all know how UO has been doing the last 10+ years... - how do you think the declining curve will look like in 2,3 years if everything is kept as current ?...

Closed...………...

Belmarduk

Adventurer
Closed...………...
Yep... or with the greatest optimism 4,5 years

What UO urgently needs is more advertisment
To give BS some leeway I must say they are not doing bad regarding how small the team is - much better than the old bigger Mythic Team.....

IF further we had a client like eg "path of exile " I think UO would again be in a VERY different league in the MMO world... - wishful thinking..

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Although the intent of this topic is a good one, if it were posted on UO forums, it would unfortunately get the fastest time to lock of all. <sigh>

This game so dearly needs advertising and truly fresh blood. The advertising thing has been a bug-a-boo since about UO:Ren time, tho. That's when you stopped seeing UO on store shelves or even no more posters in game shops, etc.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sad fact is that no-one really knows anything, all we can do is guess.
Did EJ impact on revenue from their in game shop ?
How many subscribers does UO have ?
The list is actually very long, and EA doesn't share any info at all.

Syncros

Adventurer
Being on Steam could help UO some but EA won't allow it because they have their own Origin thing they use.

What would be nice is if EA actually acknowledged UO on it or just made it easier to see it in there.

Dorset

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This wont happen, it's EA's pie and they do not share.

Belmarduk

Adventurer
Although the intent of this topic is a good one, if it were posted on UO forums, it would unfortunately get the fastest time to lock of all. <sigh>

This game so dearly needs advertising and truly fresh blood. The advertising thing has been a bug-a-boo since about UO:Ren time, tho. That's when you stopped seeing UO on store shelves or even no more posters in game shops, etc.
There one sees again how stupid EA is - UO could have been the Top MMO up til now if they had avertised and given more attention to the game

Well anyway it seems as if this unfortunately was fake news - I have neither found anything in the www about this nor has anyone else heard about anything

Allegedly this was mentioned at the E3 by someone from EA, but seems to be fake Info

Greets

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like those comments on Steam: "If it was on Steam, I would play again.".

Obviously, they are very keen to get into UO again. Alomst that much, that they would go to a website and just download it. But only almost.

Those comments are day dreamers, gone as soon as they realize it's not the classic UO when they were 10 years younger.

I can't help it, but to me many comments just sound like these "classic server" people we see every other month. "I would totally play again if there was a classic server".

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
In my opinion, steam would only help as much as going “f2p” did. The game in its current state is awkward to say the least, and is only a weird looking disco relic of what it once was.

IF people come pooring in after a steam release, my guess is many will quickly be turned off and play something else. Another thread recently came up about the state of UO economy and this alone, i think, is a deterrent to new players... Starting off in the graveyard making 100 gold/kill and then realizing that a castle is like 10 billion on a populated shard... id be gone after a few days..

“That being said” (Seinfeld common...), this game going on steam after having been sold to an independent group of developers who actually know what they are doing would go a long way i think.

But we all have our opinions of what could happen to make UO a good game again, but the fact of the matter is nothing will change. UO will probably not go to steam, and the dev team probably wont change. And UO will only get weirder and less and less like the game we all fell in love with.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In my opinion, steam would only help as much as going “f2p” did. The game in its current state is awkward to say the least, and is only a weird looking disco relic of what it once was.

IF people come pooring in after a steam release, my guess is many will quickly be turned off and play something else. Another thread recently came up about the state of UO economy and this alone, i think, is a deterrent to new players... Starting off in the graveyard making 100 gold/kill and then realizing that a castle is like 10 billion on a populated shard... id be gone after a few days..

“That being said” (Seinfeld common...), this game going on steam after having been sold to an independent group of developers who actually know what they are doing would go a long way i think.

But we all have our opinions of what could happen to make UO a good game again, but the fact of the matter is nothing will change. UO will probably not go to steam, and the dev team probably wont change. And UO will only get weirder and less and less like the game we all fell in love with.
Yeah, I'm not even a new player and the economy is a massive turn off to me.