• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning Player - Which server to choose besides Atlantic?

lennh

Visitor
Hi all, I am a returning player after quite a few years away. Needless to say, I barely recognize this game now upon seeing so many changes.

However the first thing I noticed is the desolation of most shards. After doing some study, it appears that Atlantic is the only shard with true activity now(Europa also seems to have some population but I doubt I could play there with the latency), yet it appears that its economy has also inflated to an incredible scale, and there appears to be very little housing space left.

I therefore would prefer to stay in a less populated US server. I don't mind starting over again from zero and relearn the game. My UO noob days were very enjoyable, it would be nice to relive that life again. However what concerns me is that some server seems so depopulated that the economy appears to have broken down to the point where I could hardly find any player vendor. So I would like your opinion on which server should I play? I just need the server to have the basic level of player economy for me to be able to stock myself for daily operations, and some noob items like full runebook/spellbook...etc. I don't mind working for high end stuff myself, but I need to be able to get a foothold.I know some people would suggest me to join a guild, but I would prefer to do it myself for a while, then maybe look for a guild after I have settled down.

Thanks in advance for you time and opinion

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Chessy is a nice shard population/economy wise. Napa is as well. If you cant find something on vendor search ask in general chat. Most are willing to help. If you land on napa ask for Kronal or Ferrious. I can help with some things.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Europa still has a decent population if you can take the ping, we are very friendly and have a great community! If you want to try Europa please join us at the bank meeting, West Brit Bank every evening at 6pm UK time. Questions answered and free repairs!

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi all, I am a returning player after quite a few years away. Needless to say, I barely recognize this game now upon seeing so many changes.

However the first thing I noticed is the desolation of most shards. After doing some study, it appears that Atlantic is the only shard with true activity now(Europa also seems to have some population but I doubt I could play there with the latency), yet it appears that its economy has also inflated to an incredible scale, and there appears to be very little housing space left.

I therefore would prefer to stay in a less populated US server. I don't mind starting over again from zero and relearn the game. My UO noob days were very enjoyable, it would be nice to relive that life again. However what concerns me is that some server seems so depopulated that the economy appears to have broken down to the point where I could hardly find any player vendor. So I would like your opinion on which server should I play? I just need the server to have the basic level of player economy for me to be able to stock myself for daily operations, and some noob items like full runebook/spellbook...etc. I don't mind working for high end stuff myself, but I need to be able to get a foothold.I know some people would suggest me to join a guild, but I would prefer to do it myself for a while, then maybe look for a guild after I have settled down.

Thanks in advance for you time and opinion

Siege Perilous. :)

The economy is not broken, the prices are reasonable, there is a decent player-base (who you don't even know exist!), it is the proper ruleset, scripting and cheating have not been able to ruin the shard's economy due to the tougher ruleset, there are no shard transfers further inflating the economy, you can solo up in a really fun way, the vendors are stocked, crafters and gathering resources still have real meaning. All classes still have a purpose there. Sampire's have also not destroyed the shard, or 5 platinum suited scripting pvpers.

I'm not going to pretend it doesn't feel empty a fair bit of the time, much like the other desolate shards, but I'm working on that now. :cool:
It is by far the best shard, and deserves all the good serious players to be consolidated on it.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I moved to Legends from a larger shard several years ago. Never looked back. I can pretty much hunt where I want when I want. Chance of getting PKed is fairly low. The community is great and usually you can find anything you need by asking in chat. The people are great and really band together being a smaller shard than Atlantic. Reputation is everything cause once it goes south on Legends everyone knows it. Lot of lone wolf types and also people that like to do the bosses. You could place a keep today in a nice spot and probably even a castle. I noticed there were 2 very small Luna spots yesterday. I just love it there.

Syncros

Adventurer
Atlantic, Greatlakes, Asuka? in that order I guess as the rest is low populations. Most players in the guild I'm in come from other servers and say how dead it is. A few left behind castles/keeps and dropped/sold them in favour of staying on ATL. Just shows the state of the game is in currently. If there's spots open for Castles then that alone should tell how bad that server population is.

The servers should be merged somehow with having your East/West coast server and European/Asian servers. One thing is certain that Atlantic doesnt need to be merged.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm with Capt Lucky, Legends is home. You will hear stories of low pop shards not having anything for sale, but the secret is to ask in general chat, for what you are lookiing for, if we have it, half the time peeps give it to ya, the other half of the time its sold cheap cause it didnt sit on a vendor for a month.

JohnnyO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've pretty much always played Great Lakes, doesn't have the population of Atlantic, but still pretty active. Chesapeake as well or Siege.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Come be a +1 with us on Siege. :)

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Atlantic, Greatlakes, Asuka? in that order I guess as the rest is low populations. Most players in the guild I'm in come from other servers and say how dead it is. A few left behind castles/keeps and dropped/sold them in favour of staying on ATL. Just shows the state of the game is in currently. If there's spots open for Castles then that alone should tell how bad that server population is.

The servers should be merged somehow with having your East/West coast server and European/Asian servers. One thing is certain that Atlantic doesnt need to be merged.
Well it is nice to have a castle over a shard where you'll *NEVER* have a castle :) I'd think it would be better to shut down Atlantic and let those people fill out the other shards. That way only one server is inconvenienced. Atlantic is like living in the heart of New York City while Legends is like living in the suburbs. They're entirely different situations that appeal to different types of players. I go to Atlantic from time to time to stock up on stuff and it's always I can't wait to get home. People don't call me names in chat. I don't hear racist and homophobic remarks or nothing on Legends. Legends is very relaxing :) Like Atlantic has one advantage and that's the readily available selection of over priced goods. But as I visit there lately I end up staying longer and longer cause the selection there isn't what it once was. So Legends is looking better to me all the time. Plus it's much easier to get the things you want on Legends cause there isn't the competition for them if you have the skills. But other than trading I don't really see much appeal for Atlantic.

Last edited:

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Siege :) As said above, it is harder but the economy is great for all classes. Has a much bigger population than people think, we are just more 'careful' in displaying our bodies. But General Chat is always a better indication of life, plus forums. Take a look at the current shard forums to get a real look at what is happening.

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ive always been on Legends as my main shard.

I did have a PvP character that floated to other shards for raids and PKing....did that for like two years before I took a break....back again and on Legends.

lennh

Visitor
Wow I did not expect so many replies. I will check around the server mentioned and make my decision, probably staying at a normal server for now since I need to relearn everything, and consider Siege later

Thanks everyone for your advise.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Have to second Chesapeake. It's got a decent population, very helpful people. If you try to talk to someone directly and they don't respond immediately, they are probably just afk. You can usually find what you are looking for by asking in general. You can find decent housing spots. And people are always off doing things, I'm always amazed at the people I have never seen beforehand off in random locations doing things.

Syncros

Adventurer
Well it is nice to have a castle over a shard where you'll *NEVER* have a castle :) I'd think it would be better to shut down Atlantic and let those people fill out the other shards. That way only one server is inconvenienced. Atlantic is like living in the heart of New York City while Legends is like living in the suburbs. They're entirely different situations that appeal to different types of players. I go to Atlantic from time to time to stock up on stuff and it's always I can't wait to get home. People don't call me names in chat. I don't hear racist and homophobic remarks or nothing on Legends. Legends is very relaxing :) Like Atlantic has one advantage and that's the readily available selection of over priced goods. But as I visit there lately I end up staying longer and longer cause the selection there isn't what it once was. So Legends is looking better to me all the time. Plus it's much easier to get the things you want on Legends cause there isn't the competition for them if you have the skills. But other than trading I don't really see much appeal for Atlantic.
I'd rather have friends and an active guild I can do things with rather then saying I have a castle on a dead shard where in order to get things I want I have to transfer servers to buy it then transfer back... lol. Which I wish they would remove those shard shields (among worse idea ever) and leave the paid server transfers in. Maybe the economy wouldnt be so crazy on ATL.

Custom houses is what helped make UO so fun for some as well. A castle/keep? Cant customize those the way you can with a plot.

Its funny that I get players saying how much better it is on ATL then their dead server they came from and how players are friendly, of course not everyone is but they dont run away when the first person calls then a name.

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I second asking in GC for things on low population shards. Vendor fees rack up too much on items that sit and rarely get sold.

I also second Legends having a nice community, It is one of the servers I play from time to time.

For me Catskills is home but Atlantic is where I spend most of my time. Its kind of like real life. I live in my house but most of my time is at the office. Atlantic is the office!

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'd rather have friends and an active guild I can do things with rather then saying I have a castle on a dead shard where in order to get things I want I have to transfer servers to buy it then transfer back... lol. Which I wish they would remove those shard shields (among worse idea ever) and leave the paid server transfers in. Maybe the economy wouldnt be so crazy on ATL.

Custom houses is what helped make UO so fun for some as well. A castle/keep?.
You know there are a lot of active guilds on non Atlantic shards and very active alliances. They are always off doing stuff... and if people want to buy stuff, they get it at nonatlantic prices most the time. And usually less peacocks.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Any shard except Atlantic, reasons being there is a huge LAG monster with all the people that are there, I only go there to shops. If you like the "good old days" maybe try Siege, BUT be warned you can only have one character per account so think wisely on that choice. I have to say Chessy, Pacific, Napa, Baja, Lake Superior, Great Lakes have a good crowd running around, all the rest are smaller once leave more room for housing, lots of Keeps areas on Sonoma still as I am sure the same with the others. But welcome back let us know where you plant your feet

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran

Custom houses is what helped make UO so fun for some as well. A castle/keep? Cant customize those the way you can with a plot.

Its funny that I get players saying how much better it is on ATL then their dead server they came from and how players are friendly, of course not everyone is but they dont run away when the first person calls then a name.
Well on Legends *everyone* is your friend :) Seriously. There are a few exceptions lol. I certainly respect your right to call people names (not) When I think server, I certainly want one the behaves like an 7th grade locker room :p The castle/keep thing is real. I have met many people on Legends that prefer custom houses over keeps and castles and that can help with castle availability. I have a castle and 2 custom houses and love them all. But it's not like you could place a castle in Luna :) Castles can be a problem on Legends but usually you can find one at a reasonable price if you dig around for awhile. But I love my castle on the Trinsic coast and wouldn't sell it for anything. Several trustworthy people do transfers for us on Legends so that really isn't a big deal if you don't want to buy tokens. I have the money for tokens so it isn't a big deal for me and I like shopping. I don't always shop Atlantic due to the prices and I'm just as likely to head to Great lakes or a Japanese shard. Not all that long ago I wanted some zombie statues.... don't ask lol. I just put it out in chat that if anyone could get me some zombie statues for under a certain price I'd buy them. I ended up with like 7 in under a week so sometimes it might be better to get very specific with specific people lol. But getting things isn't that difficult once you know your way around and who to ask and who does transfers. Legends might appear dead sometimes but it could be they're just not responding to *you* lol. But like I said before different shards appeal to different people but I would never play a shard like Atlantic for example. That's not my style.

hirikawa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think that Europa have a great balance nowadays. It's not to crowded and not to empty. There is everything here: PvM, PVP and RP and great community.

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well on Legends *everyone* is your friend :) Seriously. There are a few exceptions lol. I certainly respect your right to call people names (not) When I think server, I certainly want one the behaves like an 7th grade locker room :p The castle/keep thing is real. I have met many people on Legends that prefer custom houses over keeps and castles and that can help with castle availability. I have a castle and 2 custom houses and love them all. But it's not like you could place a castle in Luna :) Castles can be a problem on Legends but usually you can find one at a reasonable price if you dig around for awhile. But I love my castle on the Trinsic coast and wouldn't sell it for anything. Several trustworthy people do transfers for us on Legends so that really isn't a big deal if you don't want to buy tokens. I have the money for tokens so it isn't a big deal for me and I like shopping. I don't always shop Atlantic due to the prices and I'm just as likely to head to Great lakes or a Japanese shard. Not all that long ago I wanted some zombie statues.... don't ask lol. I just put it out in chat that if anyone could get me some zombie statues for under a certain price I'd buy them. I ended up with like 7 in under a week so sometimes it might be better to get very specific with specific people lol. But getting things isn't that difficult once you know your way around and who to ask and who does transfers. Legends might appear dead sometimes but it could be they're just not responding to *you* lol. But like I said before different shards appeal to different people but I would never play a shard like Atlantic for example. That's not my style.

I miss my Castle north of Minoc in Fel. It was removed from my account along with all its contents a few years ago. Never trust someone on your account. Billions up in smoke..

Me these days, I prefer a little 18x18.