• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Discord general questions

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I was thinking about putting discord on my Cu, but I've also been thinking about dropping provocation and picking up discord on my avatar. If my avatar has discord is there any point in having it on a pet too?

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was thinking about putting discord on my Cu, but I've also been thinking about dropping provocation and picking up discord on my avatar. If my avatar has discord is there any point in having it on a pet too?
No. This is my opinion, but I think this is wasteful to put Disco on pets. Many bosses are not susceptible to Disco, but pretty much everyone is susceptible to AI, EOO, and CW. You can swap Disco out for a more appropriate skill on your toon when needed. You are stuck with the skills on your pet.

Adrahil

Adventurer
No. This is my opinion, but I think this is wasteful to put Disco on pets. Many bosses are not susceptible to Disco, but pretty much everyone is susceptible to AI, EOO, and CW. You can swap Disco out for a more appropriate skill on your toon when needed. You are stuck with the skills on your pet.
I agree with railshot, my Discord Doggie does a good job, but once you get to the better Mobs the discord from pets fall short.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Thanks for the info guys. I will likely just go with the standard AI/Chiv then, and have to decide if I want to trade out provocation for disco on my character.

Your sentiments about disco on pets is how I feel about adding poison to pets. Seems like all the stronger mobs are either resistant or will cure it right away so why take it? Its a shame that there are not more viable options besides AI/Chiv on pets.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Thanks for the info guys. I will likely just go with the standard AI/Chiv then, and have to decide if I want to trade out provocation for disco on my character.

Your sentiments about disco on pets is how I feel about adding poison to pets. Seems like all the stronger mobs are either resistant or will cure it right away so why take it? Its a shame that there are not more viable options besides AI/Chiv on pets.
I mean there are a lot of "viable" options for pets. But if you want to maximize the dps output of your pet, you are going to use chiv/ai. A lot of people enjoy their discord/mysticism/Magery/etc animals and their pets still kill things. Also, there are times you don't want chiv/ai, but most times you will.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Poison is a little different, in that it is often available in addition, rather than instead of important ablilities, and it costs little. Poison's utility is not in damage but in preventing bosses from healing. Even if the boss cures it right away, when it's busy curing itself, it's not casting heals on itself or flamestrikes on you.
Also, currently poison is broken on pets where it does not do damage proportionate so skill. There is a small hope it will be fixed eventually...by the 30th anniversary for sure.
Of course, if you have to chose between poison and, say Bushido, it's a no brainer - forget about the poison.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree. I don't see the point in putting it on the pets as they can't discord the big stuff.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
All I know is when I've seen discord hit a mob it makes a big difference. A few days ago I was at crazed mage with 1 other guy and he told me he hit the training cap and asked if I'd mind if he killed it to spawn a new one. I told him "go ahead" not knowing what he was going to do. He discorded the mage and I watched our pet damage go way up and mage was dead very soon after. Not sure if pets using discord works the same way, but I was very impressed by the effect it had on the crazed mage.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Discord on a pet works like it does on a toon. It is always good to have a bard in a group at a mob that can be discorded.

I keep telling you to make a pet with each magic. Get those pets going and kill stuff!

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Im working on it! Dang pets take too long to bond.

I have pets with magery, chiv, necro, and mystic right now. Waiting for my lesser hiryu's to bond so I can try ninja and bush. My giant beetle should bond tomorrow so I can try out RC. Im hesitant to put disco on a pet because I think I'm going to skill it up on my avatar.

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Poison is a little different, in that it is often available in addition, rather than instead of important ablilities, and it costs little. Poison's utility is not in damage but in preventing bosses from healing. Even if the boss cures it right away, when it's busy curing itself, it's not casting heals on itself or flamestrikes on you.
Also, currently poison is broken on pets where it does not do damage proportionate so skill. There is a small hope it will be fixed eventually...by the 30th anniversary for sure.
Of course, if you have to chose between poison and, say Bushido, it's a no brainer - forget about the poison.
Chech tha latest publish notes :)

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Discord on a pet works like it does on a toon. It is always good to have a bard in a group at a mob that can be discorded.

I keep telling you to make a pet with each magic. Get those pets going and kill stuff!
Thing is though, that a pet will never have the success chance with Discord that a player will. A pet can go up to 120 Disco with PS, but they're still capped at GM Musicianship, and they don't get the benefits from Exceptional instruments (+5% success chance on everything) or Slayer instruments (+20% success chance on appropriate target). So a player will have far higher success chance with Discordance, not to mention you can use Discord at a higher frequency than most pets use it.

Discord is far more powerful than Provo for a Tamer. Discord lowers the opponents skills (therefore making them hit less often, deal less damage when they do hit, and they become easier to land hits on), it lowers their Resists (making them take more damage), and it also applies a SSI debuff to them (making them attack slower). It ends up being both an offense and defense buff for your pet.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thing is though, that a pet will never have the success chance with Discord that a player will. A pet can go up to 120 Disco with PS, but they're still capped at GM Musicianship, and they don't get the benefits from Exceptional instruments (+5% success chance on everything) or Slayer instruments (+20% success chance on appropriate target). So a player will have far higher success chance with Discordance, not to mention you can use Discord at a higher frequency than most pets use it.
Yup. That was the last magic I put on a pet. But, it does work on some mobs. The advantages and disadvantages are listed here. The pet builder can decide if they want it on a pet and what Mob it is suited for.

The problem with provo is when the boss is out, the tamers will kill the nearby spawn instead of letting you provoke them onto the boss. I would love to use it more but so many mobs are immune to it.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Well dang, maybe it is time to make a 120+ Poisoning Rune beetle into most powerful beetle in the world.
Plus, you will not need to ADD poison and magery to the Runie Beetle, since the have naturally, right? So youll have extra points to put elsewhere? Unless Im wrong?

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Plus, you will not need to ADD poison and magery to the Runie Beetle, since the have naturally, right? So youll have extra points to put elsewhere? Unless Im wrong?
From what I remember trying it a year ago, rune beetles had an unfortunate combination of not being able to add abilities because they already had a set, and at the same time they managed to be low on points. But if they fix the poisoning, I'll train another one to see if I can turn it into a specialty pet.