• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

well ya know

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
WOW is shiny and new and lots of people and stuff to do but its so not UO and i tried that avatar game and it was well buy this buy that disappointing.... I play WOW just until boredom sets in... i don't do a lot in UO I do Bard stuff and a lot of mining not a tamer don't do the roof/doom insert Leet loot drop flavor of the day. not rich not poor but UO still home I can mine for hours or just explore and kill every goat i find ( i used to have this weird bug with my sound card where cows mooing in Fel would freeze me i hate cows to this day...)

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We ALL love UO, which is why we all complain so much.
None of us every want to see it die.
Current management seem intent on just running it into the ground and milk it for all they can whilst doing so.
No real long term game plan, just caretakers until it finally breaks.

Which is also why we complain SOOO much, as we can all clearly see it happening. ;)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
bards will be really useful for the roof once the bug preventing pets to cause sidespawn will be fixed.
Nope the players like him wont bother with the hours it takes to do the floors. I dont complain about the roof for me and you. The casual players will try it once and when they cant do it they will go back to mining and killing Greater Dragons. Since you are from Seige you probably see few new players. Well there the OP is one and why dont you invite him along with his bard now since they are useful and you can compare when the "bug" is fixed. I actually do see new players and see how quickly they get discouraged and dont log back on. Making things annoying does not make people play longer or more often.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
wherein lies the problem. Instead of learning how to do it with the changes implemented, they just give up?
I can only show new players what they can do. I can not control whether they return or not. Took one to get whetstones the other day. 5M item that will help them get some gold to start. I would have invited you but you may have killed me instead. :)

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can only show new players what they can do. I can not control whether they return or not. Took one to get whetstones the other day. 5M item that will help them get some gold to start. I would have invited you but you may have killed me instead. :)
Let me know next time and I can help...yeah, help.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nope the players like him wont bother with the hours it takes to do the floors. I dont complain about the roof for me and you. The casual players will try it once and when they cant do it they will go back to mining and killing Greater Dragons. Since you are from Seige you probably see few new players. Well there the OP is one and why dont you invite him along with his bard now since they are useful and you can compare when the "bug" is fixed. I actually do see new players and see how quickly they get discouraged and dont log back on. Making things annoying does not make people play longer or more often.
hours to do the floors (assuming you mean the rooms)?!? the rooms take about 30 minutes with a team of 2 people. less than 2 is a pain when doing the fountain. even if it takes you longer than that it shouldn't take more than 45-60 minutes to get to the roof.
the roof itself is also 30-45 minutes with tamers. bring a sampire (best teammate for bards anyways because both benefit from one another) and it'll be a lot faster. so we're talking around 1.5 hours for the entire thing. keep in mind you don't have to do it all in one run.

I do help out new and returning players quite a lot and with the right advice they don't get discouraged.
the much bigger problem for returning players is to adapt to modern day UO. I am talking about players who quit before imbuing or sometimes even insurance came in etc. Many of those quit again, frustrated because they were wishing to play the game the way it was back then...and that simply doesn't work anymore.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Huh? WoW is 14 years old. It's older than 90% of MMOs running today.
WoW gets a graphical refresh every few years to stay current, plus massive infusions of content.

The UO Luddites would have died of repeated aneurysms long ago if graphic updates were forced on them thusly.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The UO Luddites would have died of repeated aneurysms long ago if graphic updates were forced on them thusly.
You have a point. And I am not even sure what would have the worse reaction - if they upgraded CC graphics or EC.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You have a point. And I am not even sure what would have the worse reaction - if they upgraded CC graphics or EC.
The CC.

EC users would probably accept them fine if they were an improvement, especially with some of the mobs (hiryu, ki-rin, etc) Or things like the godawful male paperdoll or any of place-holder-art wearables.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
wherein lies the problem. Instead of learning how to do it with the changes implemented, they just give up?
I don't think it's an issue of knowing how, it's the grind that sucks.

Being a casual player I have no intention of eating a couple hours doing roof.

I certainly don't blame any of them for not wanting to.

It actually pissed me off I did roof once and got all the way to the end and for some reason couldn't kill the last minax boss. Virtuebane maybe?

Damn thing sat redlined for at least a solid hour.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You need to complain to Kyronix about the grind. The concept that casual players are the backbone of UO is still debatable with him :lick:

Do it on the official forums, not here.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The CC.

EC users would probably accept them fine if they were an improvement, especially with some of the mobs (hiryu, ki-rin, etc) Or things like the godawful male paperdoll or any of place-holder-art wearables.
Oh I know EC users will be fine. I am thinking of CC user's outrage if they upgraded EC graphics instead of trying to bring EC functionality to CC.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You need to complain to Kyronix about the grind. The concept that casual players are the backbone of UO is still debatable with him :lick:

That's probably a bit of a self serving belief. There are two major ways that UO Devs use to make sure users don't blow through what little new content is introduced same day it's pushed. One is grind, another is time locks. Both are unimaginative and both suck, but we have what we have. The really sad part is, when occasionally they stumble on a good way to extend the life of new content - emergent game play, they still shoot themselves in the foot. Prime example is the pet publish. Introduce a new mechanic that could occupy players for years through trying new pet and skill combinations. Then 1) keep stable slots limited, 2) do not adjust scroll supply to make up for increased demand which makes scroll prices unreachable for the bulk of the players. End result, people train a few pets, fill their stables/run out of scrolls and they are bored again.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WoW gets a graphical refresh every few years to stay current, plus massive infusions of content.

Actually thats not true.
We 'luddites' in the CC would love a Graphical update, what we don't want is a change of UI or game mechanics they force with it.
Now these new Artists are proving that once again Broadsword have lied to us for years saying "graphics cannot be updated on the old CC", just look at anything new thats being added. It's the same graphic in BOTH clients.
The plants have had an upgrade in the CC along with a few other items, so them saying it cannot be done is pure BS.
What they really want to say is "They dont want to spend ANY money on UO, just the bare minimum to keep it afloat".

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

Nah, I can accept that I am a casual player so I don't really expect them to change it for me.

I don't expect everything should be easy because it doesn't fit my schedule.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
3) introduced a way to increase a pet's mana and hp, then changed their minds, took away this game mechanic, and called all the pets that had had their mana and hp increased this way "exploits."

I can't imagine a programmer of Bleak's experience and skill introducing a bug of this magnitude accidentally, therefore
o Bleak put this in as a feature
OR
o The dev team is letting an unsupervised noob do some programming

... ... ... from the dev team that brought you "an harpsichord roll" and never fixed it.
... ... ... from the dev team that brought you player-written books that are pancaked for CC if someone edits one in EC.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually thats not true.
We 'luddites' in the CC would love a Graphical update, what we don't want is a change of UI or game mechanics they force with it.
Now these new Artists are proving that once again Broadsword have lied to us for years saying "graphics cannot be updated on the old CC", just look at anything new thats being added. It's the same graphic in BOTH clients.
The plants have had an upgrade in the CC along with a few other items, so them saying it cannot be done is pure BS.
What they really want to say is "They dont want to spend ANY money on UO, just the bare minimum to keep it afloat".
CC: The static world and static house things are fine. Most are the same in EC. The water in EC is very different. I love waterfalls in my houses but I just look at them a few times in EC and then back to CC. I would be fine with changes in plants or chairs etc if they match the other stuff. (Jewelry box matches nothing)

The mobs and paperdolls are where I do not like the EC. I like the beetles, effrets, elementals in EC. I do not like the Cus, Hiryus Dragons in EC.

I am sure there are many differing opinions on the art for each client.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
CC: The static world and static house things are fine. Most are the same in EC. The water in EC is very different. I love waterfalls in my houses but I just look at them a few times in EC and then back to CC. I would be fine with changes in plants or chairs etc if they match the other stuff. (Jewelry box matches nothing)

The mobs and paperdolls are where I do not like the EC. I like the beetles, effrets, elementals in EC. I do not like the Cus, Hiryus Dragons in EC.

I am sure there are many differing opinions on the art for each client.
Trust me from the early beta of the EC/KR whatever I complained about the Hiryu becoming a plucked turkey... I even brought it up to the new artist at the 20th anniversary and Misk even showed the thing to her. She said she was looking for some project and I told her that if she changed the art of that hideous creature to something more like it's CC counterpart she might just convince more people to switch to the EC... I also complained that my big beautiful dragon was miniaturized by the EC art. Not to mention you can't tell what color it is. As for the CuSidhe I prefer the EC look to that square that is the CC. Looks somewhat like a child's draw art...

I also complained quite a bit about the look of the male paperdoll in the EC... they "promised" to work on it ages ago. It's never ever happened... DEVs were lost and changed many times since then. We did thankfully get the female paperdoll looking slightly less masculine and more feminine but it's only a slight improvement she still looks somewhat manly. And no matter how much I've complained about my gargoyles being forced to wear burlap bags as a robe that has NEVER improved. It's sad when you look at the really lovely art they have in for a robe before you alter the gargoyle while in character creation and the minute you start making changes you get the burlap bag. Right from the character creation, it becomes hideously ugly as if that wouldn't deter any new player looking at UO... It's a good thing Gargoyles aren't that popular.