• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

HP vs Mana - What is the best balance?

Leira of Asrai

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When spending the last few training points, I find that I am trying to balance the HP vs Mana.

I have enough points to maximize the pet's resists, Str, Dex and Stamina. Even have enough points for 30 Mana Regen, 5 Stam regen and 20 HP Regen. I even accounted for all my 120 scrolls.

What is a good balance for HP vs Mana... is there is a minimum a pet should have for each or even a point where too much is over kill? I'm looking for some advice for both a melee Chiv/AI pet and a Magery pet.

To keep within the cap limit, I see a range of options:

850 HP and 1350 Mana
1000 HP and 450 Mana

or somewhere in the middle like

950 HP and 750 Mana.

Assuming I have the points to spend, what are your recommendations?

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When spending the last few training points, I find that I am trying to balance the HP vs Mana.

I have enough points to maximize the pet's resists, Str, Dex and Stamina. Even have enough points for 30 Mana Regen, 5 Stam regen and 20 HP Regen. I even accounted for all my 120 scrolls.

What is a good balance for HP vs Mana... is there is a minimum a pet should have for each or even a point where too much is over kill? I'm looking for some advice for both a melee Chiv/AI pet and a Magery pet.

To keep within the cap limit, I see a range of options:

850 HP and 1350 Mana
1000 HP and 450 Mana

or somewhere in the middle like

950 HP and 750 Mana.

Assuming I have the points to spend, what are your recommendations?
In my opinion, the answer depends on what pet you are "finishing off". Some pets don't seem to use as much mana as others. My Dimitrisauruses (SP?) runs with around 700-800 mana, and never seem to run out. My Hiryus normally have about 1300-1400 and will EVENTUALLY run out, but it takes a good while (but, in my opinion they seem to have the highest "innate" MR. However, some pets, like my Reptalons, Frost Mites, and Platinim/Crimson Drakes seem to run out VERY quickly. Cu's seem to fall somewhere in the middle.

Then you have to look at the HP's. My HP's on pets will vary depending on what I am fighting. Single monster/champ, or a spawn. I tend to put a few more HP's on my spawning pets, as I normally won't run consume damage at that time, and they will take a bit more damage. Along with the fact I am not always close by to throw a greater heal on them. Not to even get into the fact that each player/tamer has a different "style".

I know that's probably not the answer you were looking for, but, in my opinion, each pet's needs with regard to HP vs. Mana, can and will vary drastically.

FYI, What you can try, is to leave those remaining points for now. Take your pet, with its current specs, and go fight whatever you think you will be using it for. I think you will get a pretty good indication of where to place the remaining points after a couple of fights.

Happy hunting!

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is a fairly simple way to look at this that applies to other games as well. There is no such thing as too much DPS. The more damage you do, the faster you kill. There is such thing as too much defense/HP, etc., however, because excessive HP are simply dead weight that are almost never used. As far as pets are concerned, mana is one of DPS components.
It's a matter of play style, but for general use pets I do not add HP above 600-700 until everything else (including mana) is maxed out.
There are exceptions to the rule. If the pet will be used in a manner where you will not be able to vet or heal it constantly (because of danger to the tamer), then, ofc, you want to bump HP as much as possible. In my case this applies to spawn pets and pets geared towards bosses that like to target tamers.
Also, if the pet will be used in very long fights (Boss with tons of HP), large mana pool is less useful because you know it will bottom out long before the fight is over regardless of it's size, and then it's pretty much up to mana regen to maintain DPS.

Leira of Asrai

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you both for your replies... Both have valid points that has got me thinking and I agree that it really comes down to how the pet performs and what will be my play style/use for the pet.

One thing I didn't know was different inherent mana regen on pets. I quickly found there is a difference in mana usage between a Naja and a Reptalon. Also, as a tamer I can directly affect HP regen through healing, but cannot affect mana regen as much. I am thinking that if all other specs are maxed out on my pet and I have the points, I will decide on a balance of about 850 hp / 1350 mana.

Thanks.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
One thing I didn't know was different inherent mana regen on pets.
There is no such thing. Mana regen is mana regen. The difference is what abilities a pet has and how often they use those abilities. There is no difference in mana regen. This has been thoroughly tested. If Int and Mana Regen are the same and abilities are the same they regen mana at the exact same rate.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is no such thing. Mana regen is mana regen. The difference is what abilities a pet has and how often they use those abilities. There is no difference in mana regen. This has been thoroughly tested. If Int and Mana Regen are the same and abilities are the same they regen mana at the exact same rate.
Good point. I didn't think about checking the different pet's intel to see if that might have an effect on the MR. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Then why does a Hiryu with the same setup as a Cu have different mana usage if it is not the natural regen?

Test a giant beetle and Hiryu vs a Unicorn and Cu. Tell me there is no difference.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They don't have the same setup, they have different innate abilities that use mana differently. That is not the same as different innate mana regen. Khyro has tested this very VERY thoroughly with numerous pets, trained, untrained. 60+ tests and counting. Every single pet has followed the same mana regen formula that was released by the Dev's several years ago. There has been no deviations.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They don't have the same setup, they have different innate abilities that use mana differently. That is not the same as different innate mana regen. Khyro has tested this very VERY thoroughly with numerous pets, trained, untrained. 60+ tests and counting. Every single pet has followed the same mana regen formula that was released by the Dev's several years ago. There has been no deviations.
Ok they use mana differently. Yall find anything else besides Hiryus and Beetles that use it the way those do?

Too bad they all don't use it differently.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Ok they use mana differently. Yall find anything else besides Hiryus and Beetles that use it the way those do?

Too bad they all don't use it differently.
There is nothing special about hiryus or beetles. If you can show tests that prove otherwise, I welcome you to post them.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
But I agree, nothing to see here. I am happy with the nothing special.
I think Mervyn gave you some good advice.

Different abilities have different mana costs. That has nothing to do with mana regen.

Given the same int and mana regen attribute, all pets regen mana at the same speed based upon one singular formula released by the Dev's. That is the truth.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
So the superior inherent mana regen of the Hiriu family has been nerfed? Nice job devs..lol

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So the superior inherent mana regen of the Hiriu family has been nerfed? Nice job devs..lol
Apparently it was our imaginations. (and still is)

I think Mervyn gave you some good advice.
Yup. I am here where he said I should be. And if you think anything he suggests is not just for his own purpose then, go ahead and believe that.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Make sure the pet's INT is at least 370 before pumping more Health or Mana. INT increases the rate at which it regens Mana. Max Mana only matters until the pet mana dumps (which is in most boss fights), then all that matters is how fast it can regen it back.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just did a little testing.

I have a lesser hiryu, with 30 MR 120 focus and med. when I stop fighting I look at the mana of the Hiryu to check his mana. As fast as I can lore it over and over, each time, while at rest, the mana replenishes itself by approx. 16-19 mana each lore. Depending on how fast I am with my curse.

The Hiryu's int is 304.

With the same set up, a "Dimeatap", as I call them replenishes at approx. 14-17 mana each lore.

The Dimetap's int is 370.

With the same set up, Crimson/Platinum drakes replenish approx. 13-15 mana each lore.

The Drake's int is 125.

So, my (admittedly limited) testing tells me that there has to be a reason that that the Hiryu's mana replenishes at a faster rate than the Dimeatap. Also, that the intel does play SOME part in the MR. Because of the rate of the Drakes (with much lower int). BUT, you would think that the Dimeatap's rate would be the highest, because of the higher int than the Hiryu. Which leads right back into the different pets having a higher "inate" MR.

Just some "food for thought".

Last edited: