• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Frost Mite or Cold damage Platinum Dragon

Neton

Journeyman
Hi everyone, just wondering which 1 is the better cold damage pet? both are 2 slots, non ride able. FM has RC which seems very good skill. Any experience to share?

whitesmith

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hi everyone, just wondering which 1 is the better cold damage pet? both are 2 slots, non ride able. FM has RC which seems very good skill. Any experience to share?
PD would have dragon breath.... supposed to be a mana hog
I have done a poison chiv drake, what a pain in the butt to train...
If I had to do it again, for cold I'd go with the mite, plus RC is awesome compared to Dragon Stinky Breath

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I have seen a frostmite in the dragon turtle spawn solo 3 (yes THREE lol) Allosauruses and kill them. Blew my mind. I think it had FzWW on it and RC. So by a long stretch the frostmite takes the vote.
Drag breath for the dragons is a liability, unless HP are 1000+, then yu get a bonus damage, otherwise mana hog.
Just make sure you get a 2 slot Mite, and one with as low cold resist as possibly. You may have to farm the Lady of the snow area a little bit. Build a little honor in Chaos with Balrons also may help get the optimal mite honor taming in the right one. (If you get a paragon balie, get honor at diferent spot, not worth the time it takes to kill them. Also if you do Balrons use your dog due to Balies resistances.)

Neton

Journeyman
whats the best spot for balron honor farming? i tried the fan dancer dojo but it cant recall directly.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
whats the best spot for balron honor farming? i tried the fan dancer dojo but it cant recall directly.
Try Chaos gate a little bit up the staires. Go close enough to honor have PRECAST invisi, as soo as you are close to honor forst cast invisi on self, then HONOR bali same tome you tell dog to attack..Get ready for a few deathrobes, but it gets easy after 1-2 tries. You will gain fast there.

I lost track of how you do the Dojo : How do I go to the right spot? Is there a guide?

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Depends. Are you going to use the animal in group play or solo, and what is the spec of your tamer. In group play, where no other RC is available, cold mite might make sense. If it's solo play and the animal is your damage or you play with someone who brings RC already, the drake would make more sense.

Some people might mention the "liability" of dragon breath, but Cold Mites have cold wind taking up an ability/move slot.

A Chivalry Cold drake with AI will do more damage than a RC frost mite, talking just about pure pet damage and not the synergy to groupmates or the tamers own damaging abilities. Even with the "liability" of dragon breath. The 1.82 damage modifier of EoO along with Chivalry synergizing with Armor ignore and having consecrate really ups the damage.

RC, especially if it has to share mana with something like AI will still have a decent downtime. But in a group setting where it's buffing the groups damage, this can end up being more beneficial than a single pet with chiv. Also if the tamer is an offensive caster, rc can boost their dps (except it has no benefit to WoD).

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
cast invisi on self, then HONOR bali same tome you tell dog to attack.
You can't honor monsters while you're invisible/hidden.

to the OP: go with Khaelor's advice, he's spot on. Decide depending on the circumstances under which you wish to use your pet.

Gnoopey

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only Balron spots where you can recall IN are deeper down in Hythloth as far as I remember...

Please Dont

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love my 126 tactics cold drakes. I have one with mystic and one with SW and they have cold dragon breath or it looks blue anyway lol.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Balrons also spawn in the bottom level of the Fan Dancer Dojo. The Succubi there also work for reaching Knight of Honor with a tamer.

I love my 126 tactics cold drakes. I have one with mystic and one with SW and they have cold dragon breath or it looks blue anyway lol.
They're talking about a 100% Cold Damage Platinum Drake, not a Cold Drake.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what does RC mean, everybody is speaking of? rising colossus?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There is a Balron in the middle of Blood Dungeon as well...

Personally, I go to Succubi they are far higher in fame/karma giving... and Honor... And that is in the middle of the Fan Dancer Dojo... another one down on the Third floor... but IMO anything in Tokuno is 100X better to fight since the respawn there is immediate... anywhere else like hunting anywhere in Trammel or Felucca is painfully slow... the respawn rate in those facets will make you want to /wrists...

But there are Balrons all over...

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What would be a good hunting spot with a frost mite: monsters or bosses with low cold resistance. Suggestions?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
You can't honor monsters while you're invisible/hidden.

to the OP: go with Khaelor's advice, he's spot on. Decide depending on the circumstances under which you wish to use your pet.
Wrong : You can honor, but then you un-invisi -- Thats why you quickly have pet attack.

Gnoopey

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Trasher in the blighted grove is very weak in cold AND energy (!)

Rikktor has cold as it's weakest resist. Same goes for Mephitis, Lord Oaks & Silvani. Semidar is also rather weak in cold but energy is even weaker.

Virtuebane on the roof is weak in cold (!) Demon & reptile types in general are weak in cold.

Last edited:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What would be a good hunting spot with a frost mite: monsters or bosses with low cold resistance. Suggestions?
With Consume Damage up, my Frost Mite tanks the Stygian Dragon with me standing 2 tiles away vetting him. If the Stygian Dragon stays on my Frost Mite, then my guild can usually kill him within 2-3 mins.
Frost Mite is also good for the latter stages of Dragon Turtle champ (Stage 4+), as well as the Dragon Turtle himself.
Sleeping Dragon Spawn in Tokuno as well. With Consume Damage and vetting, the Frost Mite can tank the entire Stage 4 spawn without a problem, the Hiryus and Onis are weak to his damage too.
The afore mentioned Virtuebane, Rikktor, and Semidar as well.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats very interesting. Thank you. Can you show me his build?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
May I see some powerful frost mite builds please?
One example is one that I personally saw tanking 4 allosauruses solo in turtle spawn and could not believe it is real: It had Frenzied whirlwind, but other stuff on it that I did not note down. FZWW is good for AOE and single target..You cannot have both FzWW and AI in that bug due to the Cold Wind it comes with. But not sure if it had rune corruption. The above info may encourage me to build the 2-slotter I got collecting dust so far in stables...I just dont like the idea of non-rideable. Would have been sooooo nice to have these as rideables, and they look really nice also..