• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Champ Spawn try 2 !!

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I once again started a spawn on Origin i even announced in general chat hey anyone want to come ? now i understand 9 am on Tuesday not peek times (come on its Origin there is no peek time ) but i wasn't flooded with murderous reds and if i didn't get bored I could have finished the spawn with no issues (well i kinda suck and probably would have died 54 times) again the only point here is that there is NO risk in trying thats right other than insurance money you have ZERO to lose by at least trying

i don't PVP in fact i have 2 yes 2 PVP attempts/experiences in my 10 plus year time playing with much of it living and mining in Fel
the first was my first day Ganked by 2 reds on way to Brit bank i had no clue just went about my way
the second was right after AOS and i was playing a Leet Chiv/Necro template playing a dexxor who fought in horrific beast form (don't ask) i got in to a pitched hour long battle with a fellow noob no one died and we became fast friends until they left the game years later...

Go Try !!!

Attachments

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fair enough, and thank you for this. :)

If you genuinely want pvp, and to be ganked to hell and back, say the magic words;

"Hi all, I'm Cookie, I am the law"

Something like that :D

Last edited:

Fingers

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I once again started a spawn on Origin i even announced in general chat hey anyone want to come ? now i understand 9 am on Tuesday not peek times (come on its Origin there is no peek time ) but i wasn't flooded with murderous reds and if i didn't get bored I could have finished the spawn with no issues (well i kinda suck and probably would have died 54 times) again the only point here is that there is NO risk in trying thats right other than insurance money you have ZERO to lose by at least trying

i don't PVP in fact i have 2 yes 2 PVP attempts/experiences in my 10 plus year time playing with much of it living and mining in Fel
the first was my first day Ganked by 2 reds on way to Brit bank i had no clue just went about my way
the second was right after AOS and i was playing a Leet Chiv/Necro template playing a dexxor who fought in horrific beast form (don't ask) i got in to a pitched hour long battle with a fellow noob no one died and we became fast friends until they left the game years later...

Go Try !!!
Maybe post this in the new players section. Kinda irrelevant to the gen pop. We know this. PS....if it wasnt the scroll spawn, no reds care.
And it IS the first week of pools being open, so the kids are swimming!
Hang in there, they'll be along shortly.....

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Go Try !!!
Why would they attack you when you did not get to the boss?
They were also bored watching your noob toon try and do the spawn.

Plus you were on origin I doubt anyone would see another player there.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why would they attack you when you did not get to the boss?
They were also bored watching your noob toon try and do the spawn.

Plus you were on origin I doubt anyone would see another player there.
Interesting observation! I tried to think of a time I was raided when the boss wasn't up or had just been killed and I couldn't. From my limited experience with spawns, I believe you're right. ;)

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
There are a few flaws here:

You didn't get far enough...raiders will let you finish the spawn and pop the boss before they raid....we...er..THEY want to make you do all the work for them....but trust me, there are people watching!

You are not a threat....they see you doing a spawn by yourself, know you can't finish it so don't bother

Now if I were to go do that? I'd get raided ;)

2 reasons why:

1. my sampire can solo it
  2. I am in FL

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are a few flaws here:

You didn't get far enough...raiders will let you finish the spawn and pop the boss before they raid....we...er..THEY want to make you do all the work for them....but trust me, there are people watching!

You are not a threat....they see you doing a spawn by yourself, know you can't finish it so don't bother

Now if I were to go do that? I'd get raided ;)

2 reasons why:

1. my sampire can solo it
  2. I am in FL
Or they just weren't there. Believe it or not it happens.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another anecdote.

10 of our guild chained spawns last night, it was really fun.

We've had a few new players, and players getting back into things, and they have tamers, and they are on a push to supply themselves.

The drop rate is really low on good scrolls tbh, and whilst we did get a couple of useful scrolls, and upgrade our guildies, it is a slow process.

There was no pvp this time.

But really fun, so no complaints.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What's the point of all this single instance stories? Beisdes the OP not even popping the champ :rolleyes:

I did dozens of spawns where nobody raided me.

I did dozens of spawns where someone raided me.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What's the point of all this single instance stories? Beisdes the OP not even popping the champ :rolleyes:

I did dozens of spawns where nobody raided me.

I did dozens of spawns where someone raided me.
Good question, and I do have a reason.

These forums are widely read by players ingame - most players do not post, but many are influenced or believe what they read here.

For me, it appears some players on these forums don't even believe it is possible, and they sow such negative seeds and give such huge negative vibes to players ingame, that they are potentially brainwashing newer or less experienced players who started in Trammel (because they had no choice). These players will be put off.

I'm trying to buck this trend, I'm trying to motivate players to get out and do stuff, go to Felucca, have fun, enjoy the excitement. I am trying to promote my gamestyle, because I believe in it, and it's fun. And the posters on these forums are so negative.

I completely accept Felucca is not for everyone, and I do believe I add balanced advice, I do talk about the pitfalls also.

But as you know, I like action, I like doing stuff, and I get wound up by players who sit on their backsides and complain things cannot be done.

I think players can see where I am coming from, I play the game, I'm honest about stuff, I get wound up by stuff, I'm human.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think that's a whole different topic, but people are put off from UO PvP because there is constant smack talking and 3rd party tools involved. It doesn't take a Trammy for a new player to see what's going on in GC. Sorry, but I don't buy into that.

Other games I play have PvP too, and I enjoy it a lot there, but little of them are as toxic as UO PvP.

If your really want to get people into PvP, you better start teaching the existing PvPers some adult behaviour.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is also that definition of "fun". I live in Fel and do stuff in Fel. It's fun. Until some idiot pops up after I worked something for half an hour and steals my rewards without doing any work at all. Then its not fun anymore but only discouraging to do whatever I did again.

I once was in Fel Blackthorns when it was newer and Tram BT was to full of people. There were two reds along with me. They let me attack the spawn and captain for so long. When the captain became near dead, they switched to attack me. Fair enough, so I run for my life and even make it out somehow. I have no issue with that, since they at least worked the captain as much as I did. Plus side was that they probably didn't know how back drops and looting rights worked, so after they killed the captain I still got an artifact in my bag :D

I wish more PvPers had class like that. But most of the time they won't show until you did all the work for them.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is also that definition of "fun". I live in Fel and do stuff in Fel. It's fun. Until some idiot pops up after I worked something for half an hour and steals my rewards without doing any work at all. Then its not fun anymore but only discouraging to do whatever I did again.

I once was in Fel Blackthorns when it was newer and Tram BT was to full of people. There were two reds along with me. They let me attack the spawn and captain for so long. When the captain became near dead, they switched to attack me. Fair enough, so I run for my life and even make it out somehow. I have no issue with that, since they at least worked the captain as much as I did. Plus side was that they probably didn't know how back drops and looting rights worked, so after they killed the captain I still got an artifact in my bag :D

I wish more PvPers had class like that. But most of the time they won't show until you did all the work for them.

To both of your responses, this is life though?
In my opinion - UO was at it's best when it was a medieval fantasy that was a reflection of real life events and emotions - it just had so much more zest and excitement to it.
Find your way, find your team.

You don't do yourself any favours isolating yourself from it, you only make yourself less able to deal with it (in real life as well), it's a vicious circle, then you start seeing toxicity everywhere, where maybe people are just jesting. When I troll certain pvpers, or when they troll me, it probably looks terrible to an outsider - but they maybe don't appreciate we have been fighting for 15 years, we know each other very well, and we are having a laugh - I can certainly say from our Discord that people are laughing the whole way. Yes of course, as with any emotions, with any kids play-fighting, you cross lines, but I have 2 boys, who just play-fight the whole time, and you can't beat that amount of energy or fun they are having. There are certainly players you don't like - it's a whole mixed bag, as with life. I think this should all be promoted, rather than buried, and we all try and put a civilized face on and neuter our emotions and fun. I have enough of that crap in real life thanks. :)

Regarding the 3rd party tools, I truthfully have almost no idea what is out there, I certainly don't use anything.
There are a handful of players, who completely go above and beyond, you learn who these guys are, and avoid them.
Yes of course, if these things are being used - we all want them dealt with. Same with duping, etc.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You don't do yourself any favours isolating yourself from it, you only make yourself less able to deal with it (in real life as well), it's a vicious circle, then you start seeing toxicity everywhere, where maybe people are just jesting. When I troll certain pvpers, or when they troll me, it probably looks terrible to an outsider - but they maybe don't appreciate we have been fighting for 15 years, we know each other very well, and we are having a laugh - I can certainly say from our Discord that people are laughing the whole way.
And grown ups totally need to drag that to GC instead of having it in private :rolleyes:

Sure they might jesting, but why in public? Why not keep it in Discord? Other games I play we say "GG" after a good match. In UO you get smack talk.

I enjoy some good banter with my friends too. But do I need to do that in public? Annoy the hell out of every Not really, most of us are past that age.

And going from an online *game* you play to real life is laughable at best. If I wanted more childish crap all day long, I would be working a big corporate job 10 hours a day - not play a video game. At least they pay you for it, unlike UO where I pay them.

Last edited:

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I am not trying to put people off of doing spawns....I love spawning and I would love for new and returning players to spawn with me...spawning is one of my favorite things to do....not just for the scrolls...but there's something very relaxing about it.

I used to chain Despise with my BFF before he quit....solo'ing is doable but not as much fun....it's not just the act of doing a spawn but having someone to chill with at the same time....and so what if you get raided? I know it scares some people...it used to scare me! When I first started...reds....shivers I wouldn't step a foot in fel...until someone taught me that it wasn't that bad ;)

McKinneley

Visitor
We've had a few new players, and players getting back into things, and they have tamers, and they are on a push to supply themselves.
Are you on Atlantic? I need a small-ish group to play with now that I'm almost fully skilled on my first character. I play generally during the day CST.

icm420

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just want to say I used to be a 'big bad" red pk who constantly checked spawns, raided and murdered people for their loots. It's a lot of work and requires a lot of time to find those spawns. You have a lot to check, you have to check them all the time and then set up and successfully perform the raid. Then you aren't even guaranteed anything from it! Run through T2A and let me know how long it takes you to check all of them, then check dungeons, then the new dungeons and then guess what? Time to check T2A again because it took you awhile and someone could be spawning! Nothing is worse than missing a spawn by less than a minute, or finding one that you can't take because it's just you and 8 of them! (Always still went in balls to the wall but suicide runs tend to be messy)

Do you know how many hours I've spent finding nothing checking spawns? Honestly it's not worth it anymore and hasn't been for years. When that Vvv scroll came out to get rid of counts, my old Pk got turned into a bard and I haven't looked back. Most shards you can chain despise and not see much action.

Atlantic is the exception as far as I know it still operates like a populated server would, as in spawns are checked and raided consistently. Perhaps I'm wrong I don't play there. I imagine that there are still a few shards like this, but on your less populated or less PvPable servers I think you can spawn at will.

Then again I'm not afraid of death or loosing a spawn here or there. It's all part of it.

Also you have your day and your night crowd. At least you used to.. honestly I haven't been part of the night crowd in a long time. But these folks stay up all night, usually due to working the late shifts, and spawn. Also when the 'lights' go off you tend to get more cheaters as well as there is less chance to enforce rules.

This is all my experience over the past years.. it could all be different now I don't really know. I just know that spawns had a 'flow' and the point of a pk was to disrupt it and keep the scroll market in check. These days it seems absurdly low drop rates takes care of that.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just want to say I used to be a 'big bad" red pk who constantly checked spawns, raided and murdered people for their loots. It's a lot of work and requires a lot of time to find those spawns. You have a lot to check, you have to check them all the time and then set up and successfully perform the raid. Then you aren't even guaranteed anything from it! Run through T2A and let me know how long it takes you to check all of them, then check dungeons, then the new dungeons and then guess what? Time to check T2A again because it took you awhile and someone could be spawning! Nothing is worse than missing a spawn by less than a minute, or finding one that you can't take because it's just you and 8 of them! (Always still went in balls to the wall but suicide runs tend to be messy)
Same for me. When I check t2a, it's always the same few spots: Oaks, City of the Dead, Marble, Damwin, and Ice East/West. Occasionally Desert and Oasis. I've been checking Deceit quite a bit lately because some EJ guys (who I think stopped doing spawns after I raided them twice) were doing it.

For the dungeons, it's Despise, Destard, Tera, and the occasional peek at the Fire spawn. I'll look at Infernal from time to time, just to see if anyone's afk'ing one of the Balron spots in Hythloth.

You'r right though. The amount of time it takes to check everywhere isn't worth it. Which is why I don't do it and have repeatedly said "I don't check spawns. If you want me to raid you, you have to announce it." The pvm'ers on LS could chain the Harrower all day and I probably wouldn't do anything about it until they've already done several.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I post to show that a noob at PVP can go and at least try .. a lot of the complaints are red ganker will come at last second and steal and i do not dispute this but again i ask how if this any different than the evil RNG stealing your time and hard work ?? unless you play Siege no matter how you die its only insurance money you lose.....as for smack talk ignore it.....

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm at 15 so far in despise without getting raided. Never had an issue with that. I just think the devs screwed up by not doing some kind of pet scroll system. Had they added something like that they could have avoided all complaints you see now. Also had they added them to treasure maps and mibs they could have revitalized both those skills. Just seems like a missed opportunity.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'm at 15 so far in despise without getting raided. Never had an issue with that. I just think the devs screwed up by not doing some kind of pet scroll system. Had they added something like that they could have avoided all complaints you see now. Also had they added them to treasure maps and mibs they could have revitalized both those skills. Just seems like a missed opportunity.
That would have been a perfect opportunity to distinguish scroll drops between ilsehnar and fel.

Pet scrolls in ils power scrolls in fel.

But hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That would have been a perfect opportunity to distinguish scroll drops between ilsehnar and fel.

Pet scrolls in ils power scrolls in fel.

But hindsight is 20/20 I guess.
I can agree with both of these.

It could still be done I guess.

Or maybe the current scenario works its way through as supply eventually catches up with demand?

There was a point before the pet scroll system, we were all sitting on tons of unwanted scrolls, from years of building them up. I had Wrestlings coming out of my ears - they were worthless - they went in like 2 weeks. I don't think anyone could have seen that coming.

The Devs here, have actually been a victim of their own success with the taming patch - the uptake was huge, allowing more pets per tamer was fantastic, and increased demand even more. Maybe they are hoping the game system can work it's way through, it would be good if it could, because it would give that extra boost to old systems - so you can't blame them for waiting out to see what happens - they want content to last also.

Can I just add - I think they've had moderate success with EJ, which has further increased the pressure on supply, we have new/returning players competing with pets. In our guild - priority is player, then pets - nothing even goes outside the guild atm.

So a lot of this, is a problem caused by success, that isn't a bad problem to have.

Another anecdote - completely unrelated!!
One of our Pvmers - top guy, took a whole team of us through the entire Ararat quest - as highlighted at the EJ quester - took us a solid 2 hours - my rogue was holding everyone back. We've got an entire team of new players/returners, all going through the content together - pvm, taming, scrolls, quests, so to me, a lot of this, is a good problem to have.

Last edited:

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just think the devs screwed up by not doing some kind of pet scroll system. Had they added something like that they could have avoided all complaints you see now.
I suspect this was their messed up way to boost PvP. Of course, they screwed everyone else in the process.