• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Maintaining Consume

derotitis

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I have a character with 150 int, 194 mana, 40 LMC and 29 MR. I am unable to sustain consume without meditation. Is this typical or am I missing something with my gear? I can still meditate in my gear. I do have a couple metal pieces but they are all mage armor.

Do you guys mean something else when you say you can "sustain" consume without meditation? If I drop meditation I can't keep it going for more than a couple minutes.

Does taming skill matter for mana cost? I'm at 105 taming/110 lore real skill and 120/110 modified. I really want to drop meditation but I just dont see how I can keep soloing champs and some paragons if I do.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Consume mana use is based on real skill, no jewels. I don't know the numbers for all the levels, but I believe it uses 6 mana per second at 120/120. All my tamers are legendary, so I haven't noticed much of a hit since the nerf, but a lot of friends that have cramped templates have not been happy about the upkeep cost on their lower skilled tamers since the publish that changed it. With 27-32 MR and 120 med on all my tamers, I can run consume and cast offensive spells too (within reason).

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I posted this before, but the thread is probably buried. Here is the math:

The mastery abilities use different mana per tick, based on your combined real skill level of Animal Taming and Animal Lore.

• 120 Taming, 120 Lore - Consume: 6/tick, As One: 12/tick
  • 120 Taming, 115 Lore - Consume 8/tick, As One: 16/tick
  • 110 Taming, 105 Lore - Consume: 10/tick, As One: 20/tick
So you can see, it can be quite a difference in the upkeep cost based on skill level, and it takes into account only your natural skill level for the purpose of mana upkeep.

So take the tick value, and apply LMC to it (hopefully 40%), this makes the ticks look like this:
  • Consume: 3.6/tick, 4.8/tick, or 6/tick
  • As One: 7.2/tick, 9.6/tick, or 12/tick
Ticks appear to be every 2 seconds. So your cost per second (CPS) is now:

• Consume: 1.8CPS, 2.4CPS, or 3CPS
  • As One: 3.6CPS, 4.8CPS, or 6CPS

So based on that, you can calculate your Mana Per Second (MPS) with the UOGuide calculator: Mana Regeneration

To Keep As One running indefinitely, you need 3.6MPS, which would be around 120 Med, 115 Focus, 150 Int, 30 MR. A very costly build (skill-wise), unless you happen to be a mystic tamer.

Permanent-Consume is a lot cheaper, needing only 1.8MPS, which can be done with only 30MR and 150 Int, if you are a human.

I always recommend getting more mana regen than is required, because if you need to cure, heal, invis, etc. you want to be able to slow regain mana. If you spec for only the exact amount of mana regen needed to permanently consume, you will eventually run out of mana with an occasional cast.

derotitis

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Okay, that makes sense. I appreciate the quick answers! I'll just keep working on my taming skill. It looks like I'll probably want to keep at least 50 med or so regardless. That will be easier once I'm able to drop taming and discord off my jewels. Thanks again!

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you Khyro for the much more detailed response. Good stuff!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

The mastery abilities use different mana per tick, based on your combined real skill level of Animal Taming and Animal Lore.

So you can see, it can be quite a difference in the upkeep cost based on skill level, and it takes into account only your natural skill level for the purpose of mana upkeep.

So take the tick value, and apply LMC to it (hopefully 40%), this makes the ticks look like this:

So based on that, you can calculate your Mana Per Second (MPS) with the UOGuide calculator: Mana Regeneration

To Keep As One running indefinitely, you need 3.6MPS, which would be around 120 Med, 115 Focus, 150 Int, 30 MR. A very costly build (skill-wise), unless you happen to be a mystic tamer.

Permanent-Consume is a lot cheaper, needing only 1.8MPS, which can be done with only 30MR and 150 Int, if you are a human.

I always recommend getting more mana regen than is required, because if you need to cure, heal, invis, etc. you want to be able to slow regain mana. If you spec for only the exact amount of mana regen needed to permanently consume, you will eventually run out of mana with an occasional cast.

Need this put on one of the sticky threads.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Okay, that makes sense. I appreciate the quick answers! I'll just keep working on my taming skill. It looks like I'll probably want to keep at least 50 med or so regardless. That will be easier once I'm able to drop taming and discord off my jewels. Thanks again!
No not really. I am able to run consume without med in a suit with 40LMC and 30 MR (all real skills at 120).

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED

Why unless mystic Tamer? Does mysticism spell cause more manna regen/preservation?

derotitis

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
No not really. I am able to run consume without med in a suit with 40LMC and 30 MR (all real skills at 120).
Really the only reason is to be able to invis, cure and greater heal occasionally. My damage spells are really insignificant compared to my pet. I keep wondering if I should drop provocation and lower magery so I can add archery and tactics.
120 taming
120 lore
120 music
120 disc
100 archery
100 tactics
40 magery + skill on items.

I'm not sure how much damage I'd get out of it though.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Why unless mystic Tamer? Does mysticism spell cause more manna regen/preservation?
Focus is the companion skill to Mysticism, so a Mystic tamer would have those points in Focus already (unless they use Imbuing as the companion skill, then it wouldn't work).