• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Journeyman Suit

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Can it be displayed on a mannequin?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
the leather cap does.
I agree hideously ugly wish they would have used something else... however there are "uglier" things out there. I would have preferred a circlet but that's me...

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I'm not wearing anything that has sportswear-looking-headwear, I hate wizard hats too, but I will suffer those, that's my limit! Circlet is the least offensive headwear in my opinion.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a suit, it doesn't suck at all, I'm wearing it on my 2nd PvPer, and having a lot of fun on it.

Last night in Terra, big fight, big fun.
Later on this weekend, when I get time, I'll post up my character, and suit, and show you what it is capable of.

If I wanted to, I could build a PvM mage with it as well I reckon.

I do completely agree, I would have preferred the Circlet as the headgear, instead of the leather cap.
Sometimes - the Devs just need to put that tiny bit more thought/effort in, and think like a player.
Having said that, they finally got some equipment made with the right stats, they've been getting this very wrong for years - so huge improvement.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Anyone know if it retains its blessing on Siege, or is it simply not available there ?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does each piece have resists of 6% ?
Cos even with the +22% full set bonus i don't see how that adds upto a full 70/70 ? but then again i have never been able to figure out how they calculate anything in UO anymore.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What a great suit, now fel will be filled with angry PVM'ers wearing this suit, so they won't loose anything when they spawn :)
sorry could't help my self..lol lol

greenwolf

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone know if it retains its blessing on Siege, or is it simply not available there ?
Probably not because if it was, GIL would complain about it being to Over Powered. Lets not forget about the 7AE items having their blessings removed.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, be careful, this is a really positive post, and may hurt a lot of your eyes... :cool:

I built this for a team PvP Mystic Parry Chiv Mage.

120 Mystic - SpellPlague, Bombard, Mass Sleep, Cleansing Winds, Spell Trigger, Healstone, Stoneform, Purge Magic, RC, Nether Cyclone.
120 Focus.
110 Chivalry - Remove Curse, Close Wounds, Cleanse by Fire, Holy Light, Dispell Evil, Divine Fury, Sacred Journey.
120 Resist - Too useful not to have, you're gimped without it and deserve to die horribly.
100 Parry - To give some protection v all the Dismount Dexxers out there, a necessity.
100 Wrestle - Again for the Dexxers.
65 Magery - Teleport, Wall of Stone, Invis.

Great survivability, good damage, good functionality, balanced, good team healer, isn't easy to dismount gank.

First - the stats you can achieve with this suit.
upload_2018-5-4_18-22-39.png

There you go, not bad at all, for a top end PvP suit it lacks Eaters, Mana/Health Regen, Casting Focus, and it doesn't quite make max properties in some places.

A little picture of the suit. One nice thing about this, is with 4 Item Bless Deeds and a few Cloth Bless Deeds, the whole suit is blessed, and you don't lose any insurance on death. :)
I'd also taken care to build it with fully repairable items or non Durability loss items, so I can continue repairing it, and just go out there, play the game, PvP have fun...
I've tested it with Powder of Fortification - and it works. :)
The Wooden Shield is a Greater Reforged Crafted shield with Soul Charge and Reactive Paralyse. Awesome.

Up until now, the concept has been perfect, and I've been enjoying it a lot.
It's performed well in PvP, I don't take any items at all to start in fights, I don't need potions, don't like them anyway, I have a Healing Stone.
I don't need apples, I have Remove Curse.
I usually try and loot a trapped box off a fallen enemy - as well as all their other gear, until I get overloaded and die - this happens so often. :mad:
So in theory - Balanced Character, No Insurance, No Consumables, Fully Repairable armour set - at last I can just go out, play and have fun!!!

upload_2018-5-4_18-34-30.png

I truly thank the Devs at last, for listening to my moans about what ruins the game for me, and with a little bit of imagination, I've been able to refind my playstyle for the first time since AoS and itemisation.

Not one single Legendary PvM item that I hate so much, with all those horrible properties like Brittle etc, that just ruin the game for me, at freaking last. How long did I have to wait?

Edit - Just noticed a couple of Stats are wrong on the spreadsheet, I have 80 dex for Parry of course, I swapped a Tangle over for a CC, and haven't updated a couple of stats.

Last edited:

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Probably not because if it was, GIL would complain about it being to Over Powered. Lets not forget about the 7AE items having their blessings removed.
It's not available on Siege, what a crock of crap.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, be careful, this is a really positive post, and may hurt a lot of your eyes... :cool:

120 Mystic - SpellPlague, Bombard, Mass Sleep, Cleansing Winds, Spell Trigger, Healstone, Stoneform, Purge Magic, RC, Nether Cyclone.
120 Focus.
110 Chivalry - Remove Curse, Close Wounds, Cleanse by Fire, Holy Light, Dispell Evil, Divine Fury, Sacred Journey.
120 Resist - Too useful not to have, you're gimped without it and deserve to die horribly.
100 Parry - To give some protection v all the Dismount Dexxers out there, a necessity.

Great survivability, good damage, good functionality, balanced, good team healer, isn't easy to dismount gank.

View attachment 80982

There you go, not bad at all, for a top end PvP suit it lacks Eaters, Mana/Health Regen, Casting Focus, and it doesn't quite make max properties in some places.

A little picture of the suit. One nice thing about this, is with 4 Item Bless Deeds and a few Cloth Bless Deeds, the whole suit is blessed, and you don't lose any insurance on death. :)
I'd also taken care to build it with fully repairable items or non Durability loss items, so I can continue repairing it, and just go out there, play the game, PvP have fun...
The Wooden Shield is a Greater Reforged Crafted shield with Soul Charge and Reactive Paralyse. Awesome.

It's performed well in PvP, I don't take any items at all to start in fights, I don't need potions, don't like them anyway, I have a Healing Stone.
I usually try and loot a trapped box off a fallen enemy - as well as all their other gear, until I get overloaded and die - this happens so often. :mad:
So in theory - Balanced Character, No Insurance, No Consumables, Fully Repairable armour set - at last I can just go out, play and have fun!!!

View attachment 80983

I truly thank the Devs at last, for listening to my moans about what ruins the game for me, and with a little bit of imagination, I've been able to refind my playstyle for the first time since AoS and itemisation.

Not one single Legendary PvM item that I hate so much, with all those horrible properties like Brittle etc, that just ruin the game for me, at freaking last. How long did I have to wait?

Edit - Just noticed a couple of Stats are wrong on the spreadsheet, I have 80 dex for Parry of course, I swapped a Tangle over for a CC, and haven't updated a couple of stats.
Don't forget that you have the option to just buy some bless deeds, and get an even better result. I did this years ago, and my suit is still better than the journeyman suit..

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't forget that you have the option to just buy some bless deeds, and get an even better result. I did this years ago, and my suit is still better than the journeyman suit..
You put them on Greater Reforged, or Legendary?

A big part of me has been waiting for them to improve Greater Reforged, then I would do it for that style of armour.
At the moment, the gap between greater reforged and legendary is too great.

I detest Legendary style gear, I wouldn't enhance that. I hate built in obsolescence as a concept.
I play a lot when I play, I just go out and mess around a lot, suits don't last long on me, I don't like having to think about my suit vanishing while I play, ruins the game for me.
A Mystic Parry mage, is inviting everything onto him to give him a beating, and this destroys your suit.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I noticed that the shield on Celestial's suit probably isn't enhanced.

Shields are VERY easy to enhance (unless they have over 100 luck to start), and that would probably fix the places it is lacking in resists. Or, you could find another shield to fit your needs fairly easily (and not necessarily even a wooden one) and enhance it.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't need potions, don't like them anyway, I have a Healing Stone.
I like the thinking outside the box with this template and suit!

allow me one question to better understand this:
to use healing stone you need a free hand. did you make a macro to drop your spellbook, then use the healing stone and then re-equip your spellbook? doesn't that take forever in classic client?

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They should make it so we can choose the look we want maybe I'm a Samurai maybe i want to look like an Orc there is no harm it making it so you can change the appearance of armor...

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
C'mon, the leather helmet is SO.....chic. I mean, I love wearing what looks like a condom on my head!

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I noticed that the shield on Celestial's suit probably isn't enhanced.

Shields are VERY easy to enhance (unless they have over 100 luck to start), and that would probably fix the places it is lacking in resists. Or, you could find another shield to fit your needs fairly easily (and not necessarily even a wooden one) and enhance it.
Trust you to notice that. :)
I think you are right!
That is one area of the game my understanding is weak on.
As you say, Enhancing is pretty powerful, you can get Reforged Tool of Artifacts in the Store, yet most don't, becase we cannot tell if something is enhanced or not, or, we are not sure what enhancing can add.
I know the experts like you probably have no problem with it, but most of us don't have a clue, to the point it's not even in our thought process.
I think they would do well to improve clarity on this area tbh.
It would bring them more money, and we would use it more.

Here you go Basara, that is the shield, what could I do with that?
upload_2018-5-4_22-23-55.png

I like the thinking outside the box with this template and suit!

allow me one question to better understand this:
to use healing stone you need a free hand. did you make a macro to drop your spellbook, then use the healing stone and then re-equip your spellbook? doesn't that take forever in classic client?
Thank you. :)

I made 3 macros by the way!
x=drop spellbook, z=heal stone, altx= pickup spellbook.
Yes it's fairly slow, but does the job. The x,z, are pretty fast.
The truth is, I don't really like using consumables so much, I rely mostly on casting. On this character, it really is a last resort.
This character is sort of built, so I can play in a way I like playing, even if there are some slight negatives - and potion usage is something I'm happy to use less, I don't mind if I have to die.

My "Main" PvPer, of course I use a full out top end Legendary suit, I am 1 handed, and I use consumables non stop etc, but this is my fun character.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As a suit, it doesn't suck at all, I'm wearing it on my 2nd PvPer, and having a lot of fun on it.

Last night in Terra, big fight, big fun.
Later on this weekend, when I get time, I'll post up my character, and suit, and show you what it is capable of.

If I wanted to, I could build a PvM mage with it as well I reckon.

I do completely agree, I would have preferred the Circlet as the headgear, instead of the leather cap.
Sometimes - the Devs just need to put that tiny bit more thought/effort in, and think like a player.
Having said that, they finally got some equipment made with the right stats, they've been getting this very wrong for years - so huge improvement.
You get the 100 Blackthorn points and points from the other dungeons.

For making a PvP toon, what blackthorn item would you recommend? Or even get 2 for 50 points each?

Is there anything useful character wise from the other two dungeons? If not, what would be good things to get from those?

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I made 3 macros by the way!
x=drop spellbook, z=heal stone, altx= pickup spellbook.
Yes it's fairly slow, but does the job. The x,z, are pretty fast.
ok that makes sense. I was kinda hoping you had found a way to make it one macro ;-)

I do have a suggestion for you though to improve your macros (make the spellbook drop and equip instantly) and reduce them to 2 keys you need to press:

instead of dropping your spellbook and re-equipping it with 2 separate macros make a macro in UO under the options menu to "EquipLastWeapon" and bind it to a key, then make a macro with UOAssist to use the healing stone (I assume this is what you already have). The EquipLastWeapon macro will disarm your spellbook (since no last weapon has been equipped before) and when you use it again it will re-equip your spellbook because it is your last weapon. On dexxers you can use this to instantly switch between two weapons or drop and pick up the same weapon. Since on this character you will never use anything in your hand but the spellbook this will always work without any preparations. hope this helps! ;-)

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You get the 100 Blackthorn points and points from the other dungeons.

For making a PvP toon, what blackthorn item would you recommend? Or even get 2 for 50 points each?

Is there anything useful character wise from the other two dungeons? If not, what would be good things to get from those?

I've stored those items for a rainy day, I have enough loots not to need them :) but,

Blackthorns;
Epaulette Conjurers Garb is usually the number 1 BT arty, for pvmers, it's the only place you can get Epaulettes, and the Conjurers Garb with luck isn't so easy to get either. They want the 140 luck. This was the best robe possibly, but properties wise, Hawkwinds Robe knocks the socks off most these days.

The best PvP item, would probably be Crimson Cincture, the +10HP is massive, and the number 1 thing you need in PvP is Health, get to as close to 150 as possible.
I often like my mana, so I often take the Tangle, which annoys my GM no end. :)
But, both the Crimson, and the Tangle, you can solo yourself, elsewhere, so whilst these are great, I'd always get the Epaulettes from Blackthorns.

Covetous;
The equipment is Ephemeral/now Antique, ie it burns down extremely fast, it is not worth getting.
I personally find the best thing here, is the Valorite maps, it gives your miner some nice ingots to go and find.

Despise...
I'd probably suggest all of this is junk...
From memory it is random Antique items.
Despise is best for the Drops from the Boss itself, not these rewards.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You put them on Greater Reforged, or Legendary?

A big part of me has been waiting for them to improve Greater Reforged, then I would do it for that style of armour.
At the moment, the gap between greater reforged and legendary is too great.

I detest Legendary style gear, I wouldn't enhance that. I hate built in obsolescence as a concept.
I play a lot when I play, I just go out and mess around a lot, suits don't last long on me, I don't like having to think about my suit vanishing while I play, ruins the game for me.
A Mystic Parry mage, is inviting everything onto him to give him a beating, and this destroys your suit.
You can use none-brittle legendaries, greater reforge items, and artifacts.
The suit i made was for a mystic mage, consists of
ring of the soulbinder, coral enhanted braclet,corguls sash, +5 dci robe, -0 staff/1 handed,kelp leggings,1 legendary britte head piece blessed with a CBD, CC rest was a mix of none-brittle/greater reforge items, witch is repairable and poffable.

A suit consisting of mostly brittle items does last a long time unless you play a sampire and spawn 24-7 and never repair your'e gear.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can use none-brittle legendaries, greater reforge items, and artifacts.
The suit i made was for a mystic mage, consists of
ring of the soulbinder, coral enhanted braclet,corguls sash, +5 dci robe, -0 staff/1 handed,kelp leggings,1 legendary britte head piece blessed with a CBD, CC rest was a mix of none-brittle/greater reforge items, witch is repairable and poffable.

A suit consisting of mostly brittle items does last a long time unless you play a sampire and spawn 24-7 and never repair your'e gear.

Nice one. :)

(A long time is not forever, and I die a hell of a lot, it's sort of my thing. :D )

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

120 Focus.

View attachment 80982

View attachment 80983

Regardless of the suit.... I see internet explorer!

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Regardless of the suit.... I see internet explorer!

LOL. :D

Edge completely blows,

I use Google Chrome if I want something more modern, but they got it wrong with Edge.

A bit like EC tbh. :eek:
They released it too early, with too many bugs, and not enough things working on it.
Once they've lost your confidence like that, you don't go back!

I don't know if that is your experience, but over here in the UK, nothing much works on Edge.

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Given your suit and race:

Ash adds +3 energy resist, that would get you to 74 without your current earrings, 75 with those earrings

Or, you could go Bloodwood, for 40 luck and 2 HP regen (and 3 fire resist, which you don't really need, but the other bonuses are nice).

Those are the two that stand out.

I mainly noticed the shield because I wish I could enhance my tamer's wooden shield to improve my resists, but it's brittle (it's also legendary - and it's not taken a point of damage yet after over a year of use - Brittle, SC -0, Soul Charge 30%, Int +5, Mana +5, LMC 5%, MR 4).

Replacements:

IF you find a shield made of metal with similar or better properties, enhancing with Shadow Iron would be good for a shield that is 0% energy resist, Valorite for one that starts with 1% Energy. These would free up the earring slot for something other than resists. If you kept the earrings, gold would take a 0% Energy shield to where you would have 75%, and anything but DC or Verite would do the same for a shield that started with 1% Energy.

If you find a better wooden shield that doesn't have Spell Channeling, you can enhance that shield with Frostwood to add SC -1, but that would be a different matter entirely.