• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Does anyone know how exactly the Master Skeleton Key works nowadays?

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi everyone,

I got lucky today and found a Master Skeleton Key in a Tokuno level 7 t-map chest. Please help me figure out what I should do with it.

It's the first one I've found ever, but when level 7 maps came out I knew it only had one charge which guaranteed opening whatever you needed opening. This one however doesn't list a charge.

Does this mean I can use it multiple times? Can I do away with my 2k lockpicks and use this forever and ever until the end of UO to open stuff?

Or is the 1 charge still there but only hidden?

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hi everyone,

I got lucky today and found a Master Skeleton Key in a Tokuno level 7 t-map chest. Please help me figure out what I should do with it.

It's the first one I've found ever, but when level 7 maps came out I knew it only had one charge which guaranteed opening whatever you needed opening. This one however doesn't list a charge.

Does this mean I can use it multiple times? Can I do away with my 2k lockpicks and use this forever and ever until the end of UO to open stuff?

Or is the 1 charge still there but only hidden?
1 charge

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That thread is from 2010 though.

If you don't want to waste it then I would say copy the character to Test Center along with the key. Dig up a chest there any see what happens.
I hadn't noticed the date, I thought it said 2017, oops :)

I will make a copy to TC and see if that clears things up. Thanks

Mr. Smither1

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When they first came out sometimes they would open up 6(highest number I ever got) chest before going poof. Now they are a single use item.

Lieutenant Dan!

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"These keys can open level 7 treasure map chests without the need for the lockpicking skill."
I never noticed that before - pretty nice for packing on an extra skill instead of lockpicking when digging up an L7
They're also nice when you dont loose loot from failing a billion times in a row.
The regular skeleton keys give decent clean up points too. I used to use them down to 1 use and then pitch em for points.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They're also nice when you dont loose loot from failing a billion times in a row.
The regular skeleton keys give decent clean up points too. I used to use them down to 1 use and then pitch em for points.
I keep 2 keys in my pack, when I get a new one from a chest, I turn in the lowest use one of the 2 in my pack and replace it with the new 10 use one. This way I never get caught (again) in that embarassing " whups, i used up all my keys on the last chest" thing.

Finley Grant

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Master skeleton is definitely one use only.

I'd recommend to use it only on level 7 fel maps