• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returned from a few year break,

DrVenkman

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Its been fun, i got some new pets all maxed out, a badass chiv ai firesteed, a mean phoenix , mystic cu, ect. ect. All ive been doing for the past 2 weeks since ive returned is training pets and gaining honor/sacrifice.
Im on a very slow shard, sonoma. In the past i was mainly a pvper when my shard was full of pvp between scam cop and waka some others before that too but i was around during this time i mentioned. Theres no pvp left so ive been mainly pvming, training pets and doing virtues.
When i first came back i was so excited to play again and try out all the new features. But now that the honeymoon phase with pet training is starting to end, im realizing some of the glaring issues with the game.
You cant do anything in pvm unless you have a peerless group, doing spawns or harrys with a guild or create a sampire, i now have all these awesome new pets but nothing to use them on, at least nothing thats really ever gonna drop anything worth a damn. The shard is dead so the chance of me finding people to do peerless with is 0. And if im expected to transfer to atlantic to play with people than why dont they just get rid of shards and put everyone on one shard?
If they really wanted UO to be fun again they would add some type of better quests...example: kill 20 daemons and get this many points towards these rewards. Give players something to do on a daily basis. Id probably never quit uo if i had something to work towards. As it is right now, the only things that drop anything good you need a sampire or a group for.
Honestly though all thats left are pvpers and roleplayers, not enough people care about going out into the world and killing stuff and thats probably why theyve never made better quests.I know its an old game but i really feel like it could be fun again, theres a whole group of people out there like me who just want things to do. For instance treasures of tokuno is an amazing event and it barely ever comes around. If i was in charge every event such as that would happen at least once a month on a rotating schedule.
Anyways thats all i have to say, i know some people will probably "quests? this isnt wow!" but thats got to change, this game has to change and it could be around another 20 years.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Transfer to LS if you think Atl is not for you. We have many community hunts that are tamer friendly and there is also PvP at night central time. Did Travesty tonight.

DrVenkman

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for the reply, thats something i will have to think about, sounds like a good time.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
LS has a bunch of great people, also does GL.. ATL is good if you like crowded shard, tons of people there, and they do help the new people and each other. Its just a little too crowded for some, but it is also great.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LS isn't much better then any other shard don't let these guys fool you. Atlantic is your best option otherwise just stick to Sonoma.
Option for what? I dont want to play on a shard where there are others everywhere I want to go. You go ahead and play on Atlantic if you even log in.

I would bet you LS is the shard with the MOST tamer activity. I have lored Atlantics pets. The players sitting around the stables there do not know how to build a pet.

He can make a toon on different shards and see what he likes and move there. But Ill put LS up against any shard for the number of active tamers that know what they are doing.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Chessy has huge guilds. Can't be the Atlantic guilds though. Except for not allowing some stupid things, they are very friendly people and always doing stuff.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Chessy has huge guilds. Can't be the Atlantic guilds though. Except for not allowing some stupid things, they are very friendly people and always doing stuff.
Since LS has been declared dead agin. Not by you Lore just replying.

We have had 46 people log on today from our guild. Some are same person but I think that's a lot for a random 22 hour period.

Transfer to Atlantic if you want a viable population. Guilds to pick from, pvp scene, stocked vendors, etc. Proper dynamics and adventure. If you like the idea of a ghost town shard with a handful of peeps.. look into other shards, I guess. This is the harsh truth. It's bad enough BS doesn't offer fres transfers out from dead shards...but if you're going to spend 20 bucks per char for a transfer... heed my words and those of others who warn ya.

I've mentioned doing something about the dead shards, but people come out crying about it or saying silly stuff like the population is fine - you just didn't log in at peak time.

Just check vendor search on some of these dead shards. Create a dummy char and check them out.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Transfer to Atlantic if you want a viable population. Guilds to pick from, pvp scene, stocked vendors, etc. Proper dynamics and adventure. If you like the idea of a ghost town shard with a handful of peeps.. look into other shards, I guess. This is the harsh truth. It's bad enough BS doesn't offer fres transfers out from dead shards...but if you're going to spend 20 bucks per char for a transfer... heed my words and those of others who warn ya.

I've mentioned doing something about the dead shards, but people come out crying about it or saying silly stuff like the population is fine - you just didn't log in at peak time.

Just check vendor search on some of these dead shards. Create a dummy char and check them out.
Is somebody telling you where and where not to play? I did not think so. :next:

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Now I will say that I have characters across several shards and travel, fight at a lot of events. My home base is Sonoma however. I also play Siege if you get tired of the prodo stuff give it a try, the best guild there is the GIL. I found that Atl is where to shop, I like legends, Origin, Cats, LS, GL, LA, Chessy, Pac, Baja and Napa for the great fun I have at the events they do. I also travel the UORadio.com circle, the game Find the DJ is a true challenge if not your home shard, 2million gold if you find him first, 200k for all after that. Then there is the Deal no Deal game, I love that game! A chance to win BIG and they pay you on your HOME shard.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I also travel the UORadio.com circle, the game Find the DJ is a true challenge if not your home shard, 2million gold if you find him first, 200k for all after that. Then there is the Deal no Deal game, I love that game! A chance to win BIG and they pay you on your HOME shard.
I have not done this but some go from LS a lot. They always say they have fun.

Each shard is different. Play your own game and have fun where you can find it.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I have not done this but some go from LS a lot. They always say they have fun.

Each shard is different. Play your own game and have fun where you can find it.
They are on Europa this Saturday, be sure to check UORadio.com page to see the times, I have a neco mage there

Honestly though all thats left are pvpers and roleplayers, not enough people care about going out into the world and killing stuff and thats probably why theyve never made better quests.
Atlantic is teeming with PVM players. UWF has a guild hunt every single night, except tuesday, which is when they have the guild meeting. Governor of Magincia, Ma Nerva, does Scalis every Sunday at the docks. It's filled with people caring to go out into the world and kill stuff. :)

StarstrukK

Adventurer
Option for what? I dont want to play on a shard where there are others everywhere I want to go. You go ahead and play on Atlantic if you even log in.

I would bet you LS is the shard with the MOST tamer activity. I have lored Atlantics pets. The players sitting around the stables there do not know how to build a pet.

He can make a toon on different shards and see what he likes and move there. But Ill put LS up against any shard for the number of active tamers that know what they are doing.
I'm not the one constantly trying to defend my shards population you refuse to admit that LS is dead and that's fine you can have it that way but encouraging players to waste money transferring off a dead server onto another dead server is very shady. You sound like a siege player trying to justify it's shards existence.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm not the one constantly trying to defend my shards population you refuse to admit that LS is dead and that's fine you can have it that way but encouraging players to waste money transferring off a dead server onto another dead server is very shady. You sound like a siege player trying to justify it's shards existence.

Do you even play or do you just like to vent your frustrated existence here? Have you ever posted anything helpful or positive? We can all search and see. How many people are in the guild you are in show me how many logged in today? I can prove what I say. You would have to install UO to prove anything.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I will say that LS has more people then I expected when I pop over to play there, (I started on LS back in April of 2000). I love that I have a free vendor there in Luna to sell my goodies for that insurance gold. I normally just pop over once a week to check it restocking tokens etc.. Currently I have 18mil on that account now, a big help during the EM events there as you die a lot ;) Always fun to do. But I will say you can have the fun wherever you play or how you play. I enjoy doing Siege, not in a PVP/PVM guild there I am in a crafters guild there with a scribe and a imbuer/tailor there. We have a contest this weekend with crafters, so my tailor will be there to help with that.

I also play across several shards as I said before, just finished an event on Formosa this morning was fun. Tonight list of events.

8pm cdt Blackthorn's Castle
April 27th @ 7PM PST: Troubles within the Trinsic League of Explorers event
Baja – Going Under April 27 @ 8:00 pm - 9:00 pm PDT

Last edited:

DrVenkman

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Dang didnt expect this many replies on my post, that is one thing that sets UO apart from anything else and thats the players and the community, so thank you for all of the suggestions.
@Drakelord i know alot about UO radio, my guild Tamers Inc (which is basically just me and a few others that i havent seen that much as an active player now) is allied with some alliance thats part of UO radio. Me and Veskara do the Deal or No Deal alot, well at least we used to, weve done it once since weve been back.
@Pawain, ive been meaning to say thank you very much for all of your animal training research and testing youve done, i read alot of your threads when i first started up again and thats how i learned to build my pets.
Ill prob stick around on sonoma for awhile who knows more TI people might come back like Hera or Keeper. Also i had alot of fun doing vice vs virtue last night against GOR with my trained dreadmare.
Last thing, i still think the game needs better quests and something for players to work towards on the pvm side, theres alot of slow shards out there and not everyone should be expected to transfer off their home shard to find things to do especially now with alot of people owning castles and having guilds, theres 20 years of history on some of these slow shards thats why its hard for some people to leave.

Last edited:

North_LS

Journeyman
if you do end up swinging by LS, i could always use a spawn buddy if you play latenight. i'm starting to get the hang of soloing them on a tamer, but an extra body would definitely speed up the process.

DrVenkman

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
if you do end up swinging by LS, i could always use a spawn buddy if you play latenight. i'm starting to get the hang of soloing them on a tamer, but an extra body would definitely speed up the process.
Right on, ill let you know if i create a character over there i love doing spawns too just soloing them gets tedious after awhile, two or three people would speed it up alot

DrVenkman

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
View attachment 80633

Did you check out the new town cryer and town cryer quests?
Yes i did thats definitely a step in the right direction, now it just needs to be elaborated upon, give people a reason to go back to ilsh, tokuno ect.
Ill give a few more examples: Quest 1:Bring back 20 arcane gems from juka mages in ilsh. Quest 2: Slay 15 paragon ancient wyrms. Quest 3: Return to me once you have obtained the glorious lord title.
The rewards do not need to be artifacts or scrolls, they could be home decoration items or points towards artifacts or things that can be turned in for the cleanup or turn in items for other turn ins. I realize that there is alot to do already in the game but im talking things for people who want to kill stuff to do. Im talking casual player type of stuff but also challenging enough for veterans such as killing paragons ect.
Its all subjective though, this is just my opinion some people could say that there is already rewards for doing those things so why do you need a quest.
Im thinking in terms of the types of gamers in todays world, if a new player was to start playing today, there is way to high of a learning curve on what all there is and isnt that they can actually do, so a quest is an easy way to say Do X, and Get X. thats all im saying.

North_LS

Journeyman
Yes i did thats definitely a step in the right direction, now it just needs to be elaborated upon, give people a reason to go back to ilsh, tokuno ect.
Ill give a few more examples: Quest 1:Bring back 20 arcane gems from juka mages in ilsh. Quest 2: Slay 15 paragon ancient wyrms. Quest 3: Return to me once you have obtained the glorious lord title.
The rewards do not need to be artifacts or scrolls, they could be home decoration items or points towards artifacts or things that can be turned in for the cleanup or turn in items for other turn ins. I realize that there is alot to do already in the game but im talking things for people who want to kill stuff to do. Im talking casual player type of stuff but also challenging enough for veterans such as killing paragons ect.
Its all subjective though, this is just my opinion some people could say that there is already rewards for doing those things so why do you need a quest.
Im thinking in terms of the types of gamers in todays world, if a new player was to start playing today, there is way to high of a learning curve on what all there is and isnt that they can actually do, so a quest is an easy way to say Do X, and Get X. thats all im saying.
I could get behind this. a quest point turn in system for cool stuff would be great, and when i log in and dont know quite what i want to do, that'd be an easy place to turn to.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Runescape does this very thing - daily challenges and quests for extra experience points (would be pink scrolls in UO, and not random but related to the skills of that quest). The chance of pink scrolls from the trade runs are a step in the right direction but become monotonous. Quests could actually involve little story lines - the old quests did this but were allowed to become irrelevant and not updated.

Runescape does this very thing - daily challenges and quests for extra experience points (would be pink scrolls in UO, and not random but related to the skills of that quest). The chance of pink scrolls from the trade runs are a step in the right direction but become monotonous. Quests could actually involve little story lines - the old quests did this but were allowed to become irrelevant and not updated.
Hm, yes.. I agree. Dailies would be a good thing to add to UO.