• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Daily Whine 3346_667-gg extra whiny-1

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
With all PVP being consensual and it has been for many years(i consider this the case on Seige as well as people choose to live there) isn't it time to do away with reds ....

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Personally I think its time to do away with murder counts and make everyone orange in Fel. All issues between flagging and reds and blues and town bonuses and yada yada yada just go away and entering fel is consenting to pvp as it should be.

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OOC: Beating dead horse time:
With the removal of "reds" via royal forged pardon, we need a different way to gain Justice that does not involve abusing a second account.
I would suggest that killing any red-named anything under "Fel rules" would give a gain in Justice.
@Kyronix fix this pancake-up, please.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OOC: Beating dead horse time:
With the removal of "reds" via royal forged pardon, we need a different way to gain Justice that does not involve abusing a second account.
I would suggest that killing any red-named anything under "Fel rules" would give a gain in Justice.
@Kyronix fix this pancake-up, please.
I think the entire justice thing and protection is silly. Hand out 12 scrolls each spawn. 6 to people who damage champ. 6 to people who did most damage to lower spawn. That would make more people attempt them without the dreaded - do 1 hour of work for a few people to steal all your work at the end. There aren't enough people in the game to have large roving teams doing spawns anymore. EJ accounts can't participate.

For the record I solo alot of spawns on dead shards where I rarely see anyone and just xfer them back to my main shard. Yes, I run a second account hiding to get all the protect scrolls. Its silly really.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think the entire justice thing and protection is silly. Hand out 12 scrolls each spawn. 6 to people who damage champ. 6 to people who did most damage to lower spawn. That would make more people attempt them without the dreaded - do 1 hour of work for a few people to steal all your work at the end. There aren't enough people in the game to have large roving teams doing spawns anymore. EJ accounts can't participate.

For the record I solo alot of spawns on dead shards where I rarely see anyone and just xfer them back to my main shard. Yes, I run a second account hiding to get all the protect scrolls. Its silly really.
It is silly... honestly they should just put PS at all the spawns tram and fel and stop trying to lure sheep with carrots and really help the community because I am 100% positive you'd see loads of people working together in tram doing spawns 10x more than you ever would find in Fel. And maybe just maybe it would make some people more "confident" doing spawns to attempt to do them in Fel as well.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With all PVP being consensual and it has been for many years(i consider this the case on Seige as well as people choose to live there) isn't it time to do away with reds ....

Ok, I guess our situation is different to many.
We are a very active and organised guild and alliance with decent numbers.
Only last night, we took a Harry off a PvP/Red guild, and then defended against 2 PvP teams - the whole fight was a lot of fun, Pvping for 2-3 hours maybe? Whole evening gone.

We used about 10 PvPers, and about 10 PvMers. We genuinely use the model of creating a protective barrier.
The PvMers wouldn't naturally come to Fel for PvP, it isn't really their thing, and they would probably like to be blue.
The PvPers, are Orange, and happy to be so, and do slip into going Red, where it's nice to be able to go back Blue again.

Point is, we are still playing the game as intended, have the ability to, have the numbers, the organisation, the passion. In this scenario, it is hard to beat the amount of fun created.
I think a lot of players on "dead" shards are lazy, and have got into the way of "being solo" and "soloing in Trammel" - this creates a vicious circle or making the shard look dead, having nothing to do, not being able to complete content, which in turn drives more players away, which enhances the decline of the shard.

As a guild, we've often taken a view that we would try and help our shard, and in terms of sheer activity, we are either number 1, or 2. (Europa).
Atlantic has unquestionably more Trading, we may have more ingame largescale PvP and stuff happening.
We would often sell stuff cheaply, or make events happen, to bring people together, to promote activity.
Again, making the effort to create activity, leads to a positive rolling cycle, people see you doing stuff, having fun, and want to join in, they want the opportunity to take part also.
Then you create a team, and have fun.
So I don't believe there are dead shards as such, it's about the mentality of the players on the shards.
It's been said of our Alliance, if we weren't here, creating such a racket, our Shard would probably be quite dull, like the rest.

So, I cannot completely agree with the opening post, as we are in a different situation where it works to a degree, our PvMers would probably like to remain Blue.

But I can agree with 2 points;
  • Regarding Justice - Yes maybe it could be upgraded to include killing all Oranges.
  • Regarding 6 Scrolls from Protection - Yes maybe these could be re-allocated to those who did most damage doing the Spawn itself. {Edit 2 - Just realized this after - doing this would negate the whole Justice process anyway, so whilst the idea is good, it sort of destroys another OK system}.

{Just to edit by the way, there are a lot of players on our shard who do their bit for the shard, so got to give them credit, and certainly not putting them down, from the guys who welcome new players, to the guys who carry on crafting, and keeping the vendors full, to the weekly auctions, and our EM is getting better also, he is learning from experience. :) etc).

Last edited:

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fel was fun when it was not about what "suit" you were wearing but more about the tactics of the trap.
Now it's just......not fun what so ever, so nobody ever goes to Fel.
Personally i don't think i'd ever go back now, i have unlimited gold to buy scrolls so for me there is no point to Fel.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fel was fun when it was not about what "suit" you were wearing but more about the tactics of the trap.
Now it's just......not fun what so ever, so nobody ever goes to Fel.
Personally i don't think i'd ever go back now, i have unlimited gold to buy scrolls so for me there is no point to Fel.
I have completely the opposite perspective to you of course.

Firstly just to give others hope, regarding PvP suits - my new PvPer is wearing the starter kit EJ Deluxe package Journeyman suit - 2000 Sovereigns, it's a good package - I'll advertise it for them.
I've combined this with a few blessed accessories, and got a decent suit to PvP in, not completely top end, but it's good enough to take part and have a lot of fun.
It is fully repairable, and fully blessed = no insurance cost when I die.
Not one single Legendary.
It's got to be a perfect way for any beginner to get into PvP if they wanted to.

You've got unlimited gold to buy scrolls?
You've managed to "lose" the game for yourself, probably de-incentivized to do anything, sat around fat and bloated in Trammel.
This is the problem, Trammel is too easy, it is fast forwarding to a dead game, and dead shards, because it allows players to get into your situation.

I personally don't have unlimited gold, and I play for things still, with a group of players who want to play for stuff, and enjoy it.
Some enjoy PvP, some don't - I get that. But to play easy-mode, to kill the game enjoyment off for yourself, I don't encourage.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Ok, I guess our situation is different to many.
We are a very active and organised guild and alliance with decent numbers.
Only last night, we took a Harry off a PvP/Red guild, and then defended against 2 PvP teams - the whole fight was a lot of fun, Pvping for 2-3 hours maybe? Whole evening gone.

We used about 10 PvPers, and about 10 PvMers. We genuinely use the model of creating a protective barrier.
The PvMers wouldn't naturally come to Fel for PvP, it isn't really their thing, and they would probably like to be blue.
The PvPers, are Orange, and happy to be so, and do slip into going Red, where it's nice to be able to go back Blue again.

Point is, we are still playing the game as intended, have the ability to, have the numbers, the organisation, the passion. In this scenario, it is hard to beat the amount of fun created.
I think a lot of players on "dead" shards are lazy, and have got into the way of "being solo" and "soloing in Trammel" - this creates a vicious circle or making the shard look dead, having nothing to do, not being able to complete content, which in turn drives more players away, which enhances the decline of the shard.

As a guild, we've often taken a view that we would try and help our shard, and in terms of sheer activity, we are either number 1, or 2. (Europa).
Atlantic has unquestionably more Trading, we may have more ingame largescale PvP and stuff happening.
We would often sell stuff cheaply, or make events happen, to bring people together, to promote activity.
Again, making the effort to create activity, leads to a positive rolling cycle, people see you doing stuff, having fun, and want to join in, they want the opportunity to take part also.
Then you create a team, and have fun.
So I don't believe there are dead shards as such, it's about the mentality of the players on the shards.
It's been said of our Alliance, if we weren't here, creating such a racket, our Shard would probably be quite dull, like the rest.

So, I cannot completely agree with the opening post, as we are in a different situation where it works to a degree, our PvMers would probably like to remain Blue.

But I can agree with 2 points;
  • Regarding Justice - Yes maybe it could be upgraded to include killing all Oranges.
  • Regarding 6 Scrolls from Protection - Yes maybe these could be re-allocated to those who did most damage doing the Spawn itself. {Edit 2 - Just realized this after - doing this would negate the whole Justice process anyway, so whilst the idea is good, it sort of destroys another OK system}.

{Just to edit by the way, there are a lot of players on our shard who do their bit for the shard, so got to give them credit, and certainly not putting them down, from the guys who welcome new players, to the guys who carry on crafting, and keeping the vendors full, to the weekly auctions, and our EM is getting better also, he is learning from experience. :) etc).

TB you can still have all that fun there is just no point in having players go red ....

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I have completely the opposite perspective to you of course.

Firstly just to give others hope, regarding PvP suits - my new PvPer is wearing the starter kit EJ Deluxe package Journeyman suit - 2000 Sovereigns, it's a good package - I'll advertise it for them.
I've combined this with a few blessed accessories, and got a decent suit to PvP in, not completely top end, but it's good enough to take part and have a lot of fun.
It is fully repairable, and fully blessed = no insurance cost when I die.
Not one single Legendary.
It's got to be a perfect way for any beginner to get into PvP if they wanted to.

You've got unlimited gold to buy scrolls?
You've managed to "lose" the game for yourself, probably de-incentivized to do anything, sat around fat and bloated in Trammel.
This is the problem, Trammel is too easy, it is fast forwarding to a dead game, and dead shards, because it allows players to get into your situation.

I personally don't have unlimited gold, and I play for things still, with a group of players who want to play for stuff, and enjoy it.
Some enjoy PvP, some don't - I get that. But to play easy-mode, to kill the game enjoyment off for yourself, I don't encourage.
TB Did he say he plays the easy mode? Maybe he does NOT like PvP like you do. Most people probably the majority of the player base do NOT enjoy wargames. How do you know hes not enjoying the game by doing what he is doing? That he has 90 Plat = unlimited gold? What if he did enough content to accumulate this for the last 20 years and had fun doing it? This game is different things to different people. He does not like PvP and hes not a mover and a shaker. Does not mean he lost the game, that the game is dead, etc. You enjoy PvP, mega teams, etc, he likes to do his own play with his team etc. UO play is different for different people. We cannot judge how others enjoy the game, only they can..I hope this helps your perspectives TB, just see things a little bit from the other guys view..
Sry slayvite did not mean to speak for you, but had to.
( By the way toss some of your gold to this poor guy with NO plats so I can buy my PS..**Just joking**)

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
for me, I like going after reds sometimes to make them pay for their crimes lol. other time I like to be a red going after blues, I consider all blues in fel trammies. by taking away reds, it took a lot of the fun for the game for many people. with vvv, everyone is your enemy. most will not be able to compete while solo or in small group. this killed a lot of pvp for many.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
for me, I like going after reds sometimes to make them pay for their crimes lol. other time I like to be a red going after blues, I consider all blues in fel trammies. by taking away reds, it took a lot of the fun for the game for many people. with vvv, everyone is your enemy. most will not be able to compete while solo or in small group. this killed a lot of pvp for many.
Damn your dismounter lol. :)

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
First of all, people didn't turn blue cause of royal forged pardons. They did it cause our dev team made the town bonus only available in trammel (another example of trammel only nonsense). If it wasn't for justice to do spawns there would be no reason to be red at all. Maybe if the devs removed the town bonuses from governors and added it to felucca the game might be better. Plus there wouldn't be anymore massive voting issues of cross-sharding to ruin some trammies gov race. There are so many intelligent things that can be done to increase game popularity and fun, but for some reason the devs install backwards thinking.