• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So .... what do you play ...?

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK, so we are all here for the same reason ... we play, or have played UO and its something special to us in the gaming world, regardless of our reservations on its direction past, present and/or future..

Couple of questions ...

What keeps you playing UO? (im conscious that (me included) that we dont all have a live account at this moment in time), but we are are all still "UO players" I guess.

What other games do you play and why? What do they provide that is either lacking in UO, or you'd like to see UO provide?

How could UO increase its appeal by bringing in ideas from other games whilst retaining UO's basic premise of an openworld sandbox?

I am currently playing Albion Online ... why? I love the guild aspect and the feeling that its a world where everyone matters, crafters, gathers and combatants all have a place.

Im also experimenting in Star citizen (love the scope and one persistent world aspect)

Legends of Aria (Im trying to bring back that nostalgia feeling of UO I admit, but its failing badly )

SOTA ... (not doing it for me despite my high hopes it would be UO+)

So .... what are you playing (if anything) outside of UO and how could that games direction benefit UO?

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I stay in UO mainly because it's such a unique community I haven't seen replicated in any other game. It's a really weird thing to personally know almost half the people you run into in a game. It gives it an appealing "small town feel" with friends everywhere. Also out of habit, kind of hard to just walk away one day after 20 years.

I play Star Wars: The Old Republic sometimes too. The thing it does really well that UO does not have at all is the ability to quickly build and level up a new character within a couple days. At this point I can bring a character from brand new to finishing their class story-line quests within about 3 days if I want to. Plus it's free so it's always there when I want it. Makes it much easier to try new things, if I think "hmm I wonder what it would be like to do ___ with ___ type of character" it only takes a few days to set it all up as opposed to the months it takes to make a fully functional character in UO.

I have a SotA account, but it's not really what I thought it would be and is pretty boring.

I play a lot of non-online games too, mostly for the simplicity of being able to just turn it on and play without needing tons of preparation like UO does to do anything.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I come back to UO for the skill system and when the bug bites. I leave UO because of the players, the added item properties, and the mentality that getting killed in 3 hits as a full pure paladin build at max skill is the way a boss should be made so you have to resort to pets, life leach, or range.

I play Warcraft and League of Legends mostly. I do have a FFXIV account I'll goof off on each expansion.

I was into SOTA when I saw it, but the whole early access for contributors and minimal noise release really put me off. I get that you need to incentive people who pay for you to develop a game, but it doesn't make people want to play with others with an early start. That and early reviews for it are bad.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I play a few other games, occasionally I play SWTOR, what I like about it is how player/NPC interactions work, they give variety.

I also play Elite Dangerous, perks of it is I can play online with other players, in a Party only setting, or completely solo, I'll also not live to explore the entire game map, which based on our own Milky Way galaxy, with the average number of new star systems being explored each day in the game (~17500)it will take another 150,000 years or so for players to explore the entire map. It pretty much means it is possible for anyone, to be the "First" to experience something in the game. The first person to visit a new star system get's their Screen Name credited for it's discovery for everyone else to see.

More than any other game I probably spend more time in Diablo III, not that I get a lot of time to play anything these days. I just like that it's straight forward something UO could use a dose of to help even out the learning curve.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here are the things that bring me back to UO:
1. Sandbox environment/realism. I like the freedom. I like the fact that you can sell and trade almost everything. I like that there are no bound items and that almost every item can be manipulated as if it actually existed. MMO's that came later "learned" from the lessons of UO and put many restrictions aimed to prevent griefing, exploits, etc. These restrictions, while useful to various degrees never let you forget that you are playing a game.
2. Housing. Yet another thing that MMO's "learned" from UO's real estate problems. Even in the games that really try to do housing well, it's still a joke. Once you try UO housing, every other game is ruined.
3. Taming. Another thing where no other game even came close. It's like they just don't get the difference between a unique pet you find, tame, and train, and temporary spell that you cast that is the same for everyone. As an aside, while I like the pet revamp, I do feel that a very important part of tamer gameplay was lost in it. It is not nearly as important to (or difficult) to look for the right pet anymore, and I miss that.
4. Not being locked into a class and freedom to create varied and viable templates. There are MMOs out there that claim to do it, but in reality there are either very few viable templates, or differences are superficial.
5. Multitude of spells/abilities. I love that I run out of screen real estate when I try to create toolbars for some of my characters. I love figuring out new ways of playing my characters. For awhile, MMOs out there have been dumbing down the game play to broaden the appeal. And it's getting even worse because now they are trying to woo the console crowds as well. A lot of "you have 30 spells available to you, but you have to pick 5, because that x-box controller only has so many buttons."
6. Crafting. There are many things wrong with it, but at the core, it's one of the best in the business. It is balanced with dropped loot where it is still necessary even though there are some powerful pieces that drop (this could use more balancing). I love the fact that it is complicated enough that you do need to have knowledge, experience, and a copy of Excel in order to make a suit. I feel this is much more superior to a typical MMO where training crafting and getting mats is a pain, but actual crafting is a push button affair.

As far as what I play - I bounce between games. The only other MMO that I spent as much time in as in UO is EVE online. EVE is as sandboxy as they come, but it's also a "cold dark place" and you get tired of that eventually. Other games fail to hold my interest for very long.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did you only play the (mobile game like) Vanilla server? Because there's a community server that's working on a UO fan mod.
Just the official server. Would be interesting to see what can be done by the players on a modded server for sure.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Street Fighter V.
LOTS of Street Fighter V lately as I am practising for tournaments I will be playing through the year.

Since it is a fighting game, there is nothing that UO could get from it.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I find myself playing UO less. It goes in phases. I also play Star Trek Online when theres a new mission. June they have there next free expansion Victory is Life. There finally opening the Gamma qudrant. Then occasionally Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Usually I play sport games on ps3. Used to play WOW but when they went panda I kinda drifted away from that. Only mmorpg I play besides UO now is a text based game called dragonrealms. If you've never tried it I would suggest giving it a go. It's actually a lot of fun.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
I play UO mostly for nostalgia, it was in many ways, the game I always wanted to play, plus I like the community here. I also love the indie rpg games I find on Steam. I like Stardew Valley not just because it is a beautiful game but because the creator took a game he loved, Harvest Moon, and not only perfected it but he made himself a fortune as an indie developer at the same time. To me he's a hero :) He games, he creates, and makes a fortune doing it!

Honestly gaming comes with a steep opportunity cost, I don't just want to game, I want to learn and grow as a person at the same time. So while gaming, I want to be learning/practice a new skill, or at least taking a course, watching a video, reading, or preparing something good for my job.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think, i got on the UO hype train, the day it started back in 1997. But I never actually played it until 1999, when I finally got flatrate internet. From that on I was kinda hooked on MMOs and played it until 2003. TBH, I always played single player games as well. Most noticable during that time period was Gothic 2 & Addon.
Late 2003/early 2004 I started with SWG, which was pretty awesome. I never subscribed more than one game, so UO was put on the back burner. And then 2005 WoW came along. I played it until shortly I reached max level in BC, the first expansion. Those three are my holy trinity of MMOs :D I always get back to them because of nostalgia for a month or two (or got in the case of SWG, never did after NGE got released, but they pulled the plug back in 2011 anyways).

TBH I feel less inclined to come back to UO these days, because you just feel lonely so soon on logging in after a years hiatus. My home shard Drachenfels feels completely deserted. Haven't checked it out yet, because I'm waiting until they fix the storage disaster. All my chars have at least 80+ items in their bank plus a bunch of them is mounted on a full beetle.So currently it's a no go for me. But I was always they guy, who enjoyed running into strangers rather than having a core community, which you know very well.

To WoW on the other hand I still enjoy coming back. I usually use a 2 month GTC, 2-3 weeks before an expansion hits, so I can enjoy all the content from the previous expansion. And then I usually have 5-6 weeks left in the new expansion, where I can level up while enjoying the story. On top of that, I have a few RL friends, which also play during the first month of an expansion, which makes it even more enjoyable. That pattern worked out really well.

After 2009 I mostly play single player games. Immersion & story is so much better. Although I tried most MMOs, which got released, none of them did compare to my holy trinity, so I never got into them in the first place.

End of 2011 I fell in love with the Souls series. These are just plain awesome. I played the hell out of Dark Souls 1. Even the PvP was awesome there, something I never liked in UO. Then I got myself a PS3, so I can play Demon Souls, the predecessor of Dark Souls. Then DS2 came out. Awesome. Loved it. Although it didn't really hold up against DS1. The boss design in 1 was way better and the world design, oh my... stunning and beautiful. Although not an open world game, the complete world was interconnected, with extremely clever designed shortcuts. After DS2 I had to get myself a PS4 just because of Bloodborne, the spiritual successor of DS. And it was totally worth it :D 2016 Dark Souls 3 was released. Since then I accumulated 400 hours of playtime. Brilliant game. Mostly doing PvP these days. Well, and in May this year Dark Souls 1 Remastered will be released. I guess that means back to square one :D :D

A few honorable mentions of games throughout the years: The Mass Effect trilogy was awesome. So was the Batman Arkham series. Although I'm not much into shooters, the Bioshock games were a blast story-wise. Especially Infinite, the thrid one. "Life is strange" is a masterpiece. Loved the characters and the story. So is Nier Automata, which is defintely my personal game of the year 2017.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I find myself playing UO less. It goes in phases. I also play Star Trek Online when theres a new mission. June they have there next free expansion Victory is Life. There finally opening the Gamma qudrant. Then occasionally Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2.
I have a kind of love hate reationship with STO. I love the gameplay but I hate the pay to win aspect of it and how expensive it turns out when you start buying ships for traits.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I went back to RuneScape and RuneScape Old School. I like skilling games that also offer good PvP and PvM and I have played RS since around 1998 when it was being developed (One of the original 100). Had not logged in for about 8 years but have thus far been impressed with the RS3 even though I play RS3 in Classic combat mode. While they are still present, Jagex actively scans for and bans Bots a big + from my perspective. The pay to win aspect is a bit annoying but also is not something you have to participate in. The free version is very playable unless you are a vet that was a member with all the bank storage upgrades. Lots of mini games and distraction, daily perks (Keys) that give you a shot at rare or useful things. The economy is stable and most things are obtainable......... Unless you want one of my ancient rares like a Party Hat or a Christmas Cracker.... Prices on those are I guess get in the Billions of Gold depending on the color.......... And I learned one does not wear a party hat unless they want swamped with trade request and endless offers to buy it from you.............

I started a new account after learning about the Hardcore Ironman which is very cool IMO Death is Perm. outside of a few safe death situations if you die your entire account dies. you can't trade or get help from other players, you can't sell or buy things through the grand exchange. It gets the adrenaline flowing when you are at the tail end of a hard quest at 15% health and out of food to heal with and facing the final boss and can't leave knowing that is you die your account is dead......... and then walking out with the quest points, the reward and 1% of your health left. Worse knowing that if you die there will be a global announcement that a Hardcore Ironman/Ironwoman died and give details of how :) Thus far Dread_Fred the Hardcore Ironman has survived everything and gotten to a 1050 skill total. I am having a blast playing this way and knowing there is a real risk......... LOL I did Sub Fred but pay that account monthly instead of yearly :)

I still love UO and the great friends and memories made over the years but just don;t love playing UO anymore, the economy is beyond repair. Over the last 5-10 years if there is a bad decision to be made Bonnie will make it. Drop rates of anything worthwhile are abysmal and buying anything worthwhile cost more gold than any average player can farm in a reasonable amount of time, thus promoting and fueling the RMT which further wrecks the economy via the crazy inflation.

So I go with a game that has inferior graphics and a much higher level of playability.

Elaysia

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My Favorite MMO’s of all time -- Get ready for my long post :D

I'm in limbo right now as far as MMO's go so I'm not playing anything yet, I'm deciding which one to go back to.

1. Ultima Online- 9 years

2. Lord of the Rings Online- 4 years

3. Perfect World Online- 3-4 years

4. Blade and Soul- 2 years

5. Guildwars 2- 2 years

6. Wizard 101 – on and off for 2-3 years

Favorite characters in game

1. UO – Laurana Mage/tamer/healer

2. Lotro- Velisin Minstrel--Bard/mage/healer

3. PW – Larkel Venomancer Mage/tamer

4. BnS- Pinkette—Summoner Mage/Cat

5. GW 2- Satairi- Mesmer clones/sword/mage

6. Wz 101- Saffron Thunderpants- Storm mage

What I love about each game

1. UO- (open world) In-depth housing customization, collecting, excellent crafting, and the ability to tame any animal, definitive role when in a group (tons of experimenting with class mix/match), great loot, world traveling is fun and Events

2. Lotro- Story-mode quests, world and map is fun and memorable, definitive roles, decent crafting, fun loot, questing is fun, housing is decent

3. PW-(open world) excellent character customization, getting around the world is fun (double jump/mounts/flying), fun combat, definitive roles, taming is pretty good

4. BnS- Story-quests, traveling the world is fun, general combat is EXCELLENT, daily dungeons are very fun, pvp is fun and challenging

5. G2 2- Story-quests, traveling the world is a lot of fun, crafting is pretty decent, map completion, event quests, fun loot.

6. Wiz 101- battle strategy (seems very easy at first, but later becomes more strategic), animations of spells, training pets for battle, housing is pretty good and it’s very easy to play with friends or families with children

Why I quit the game

1. UO- takes up your life, very very addictive, power creep and itemization. Final reason, low population on my shard

2. Lotro- Population got low (at that time), boring at high levels

3. PW-very cash driven (end up spending a lot), dungeon and grouping is difficult (not mainstreamed at all) especially if population gets low

4. BnS- Lag is real, at higher levels dungeons gets very complicated, very heavy mechanics in raids and higher dungeons, which for the most part I enjoy. You have to spend a lot of time to get anywhere (months) unless you spend. Community is toxic, if you mess up be prepared to be called names, playing a Summoner gets you major hate in the game. Final reason: not enough time to devote to it.

5. GW 2- the expansion Heart of Thornes is why I quit initially, the map travel and mobs are bunched up and difficult. My main character which is a warrior died easily there, and has no definitive role. I didn’t know her place in the game at that time, and figuring out armor and runes takes you out of game-play mode. However, with the new expansion “POF” HoT isn’t near as bad now. They added mounts which are unique to when you should use them in different areas of the map. I play this game when new content comes out.

What would bring me back to playing the game

1. UO- If my friends started playing again (reunion), or if the population on LS increased to the point where I could enjoy challenging content again.

2. Lotro- an expansion that brought back more beautiful maps (away from the dark stuff) and a new class. They recently got a new expansion but it was even darker than before, which is to be expected with the story-line.

3. PW-New maps with dungeons that come with easy group finding and title naming, better loot during general grind could also help. They finally did get in-depth housing, however I doubt I will ever return as there are better options out there.

4. BnS- If RNG was removed from many aspects of the game, legendary drop rates increased in dungeons, more content for casual players, lessen the grind amount for weapon at higher levels, and better loot during general grind. Recently, they’ve been trying to make it easier to get the materials needed for weapons, but in order to keep up you can't leave the game for more than a month. If these things improved and I had more time to devote to it I might go back.

5. GW 2- Streamline armor for each class, and fix forced meta’s to play in raids and such.

6. Wiz 101- I play this game on and off when they get new content, very easy to return and very little commitment needed so it's easy to come and go.

Honorable mentions, SWG I adored this game, but it is no longer. I also played SWTOR for a few years, but I can't put my finger on why I can't stick with it (I think I just get bored with it) and it feels like it never hits the nail on any one thing for me.

I also was a backer for Shroud of the Avatar, but I just can't get into it. Also, I was recently looking into Legends of Aria it seems interesting so I'll definitely try it out.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I still play UO because this is where my friends are... the community makes UO what it is IMO...

I also play Black Desert Online where while it is totally pretty and wonderful fun... you can't do things like UO because they don't have housing like UO... yes I can have a house 5 of them in fact there... and others can visit them... but it's fairly restrictive on what you can do with your house and in your house... I like many of it's systems and it has graphics I am dying to have in UO... The character customization in it is amazing... I can only dream of how that would be in UO... However, it's also a pay to win style game... and it is extremely limited on what sex your character can be. Like if you want to be an archer you are pretty much going to play a female... Tamers are also only female... very limiting IMO... but still it's fun.

I play No Man's Sky because I like exploring... it satisfies that urge...

I play Skyrim because well Dragons are AWESOME... Thought about playing the online version... I bought it... but haven't played it yet.

I think mostly I still play UO because I have such fond memories of it from when I started playing... and the RP community was pretty big and was a lot of fun... and well then there is the collecting stuff.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Outside of UO i play Skyrim and Fallout 4 and it's all UO's fault!!!!!!!

UO turned me into a pack rat hoarder and now, if a game will let me collect junk to store in my own house for no real reason appart from "i must have 1000 of those", i'm all over it.........

Attachments

Last edited:

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've been playing a lot of Runescape lately, after Tyrath got me curious about it. Compared to UO, there are pros and cons
The biggest con for a solo player is RS is a lot more lonely than UO. You can chat with friends and guilds that you've connected with. but I've not seen a general chat. Even playing solo in UO, you feel connected to everybody else
Also, I've not found any type of forum like Stratics for RS. There are RS forums, but they seem very topic oriented and limited and not much of a community
Houses - In RS, you can only share your house with friends - houses are instanced and not visible in the world at large, like in a different dimension. And the houses are like mod blocks, not anything like UO where you can decorate and display as you want and anybody can see it, Plus, to add rooms to a house in RS to any useful level, you have to raise your construction skill, which is a real bother.
Another bother for me, the backpack. To minimize scripting, a paid account can only carry 28 items at a time. So if you need to mine 100 ore, you have to make 5 trips to the bank. If there's a bag of sending equivalent in RS, I've not seen it. A lot of running around that you don't have to do in UO.
Pros for RS:
The world is just full of life and activities everywhere you go. It's bright and colorful and no wastelands of emptiness like much of UO
There's a lot of humor in RS. A lot of it is corny and cartoonish, but it's kind of amusing.
Skill gains are based on experience, like the old RPGs with levels. There is grind galore, but there's no fickle RNG involved.
To avoid just grinding, there are daily challenges for experiences
There are more than 100 quests for experience, and they give valuable rewards and experience - unlike UO, where most of the quests are outdated and useless
There is a treasure chest system where you can either earn keys from quests and challenges (paid accounts get 2 a day) to click for either skill bonuses or cosmetic items. It's fun, but it can be Pay to Play, and it can end up costing you as much as a Vegas slot machine if you don't watch it
I'm not switching from UO to RS, but I think UO could pick up some pointers from RS, and I plan to keep messing around in both worlds.
EDIT: I'll also grab and play any RPG that comes out - Skyrim, Witcher, Divine Divinity - all of them

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play and stream: Hearthstone, Overwatch, HotS, Battlefront II, CoD: WWII, Hob, Hollow Knight, PoE, D3, GW2, SotA, Destiny 2, Injustice 2, Marvel vs. Capcom.

I also will try out whatever is new on Steam, GoG, etc.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not much time to play much of anything right now. :l Besides sporadically logging in to UO, I do fly about in Elite: Dangerous a bit. - Fascinating game! Basically, you fly around in our Galaxy. Thanks to procedural generation, Elite provides a version of Milky Way that is roughly 1:1 in scale to what it actually is - if measured in amount of stars, planets you can find in game. Which translates to roughly 400 billion star systems for you to visit in game. Due to the sheer size of everything, game enables you to be an explorer in a very real sense - you truly, literally go to places nobody else has ever seen before. Game has been out for a few years..According to devs, players have so far explored around 0.03% of the Galaxy. Getting there!

I play UO. Played 1998-2001, and then some 2002-2003, then quit. I peeked in briefly in 2007, but I barely remember. I basically came back early 2016 and have been subscribed ever since. I am an UO lifer, I decided. UO just feels like home. And no other sandbox MMORPG comes close. The one MMORPG that actually came close and was clearly inspired by UO was Archeage. I played that in 2014-2015 for quite a bit, but Trion eventually ruined it. I find Albion terrible. While getting some pvp action is fun, the whole feel is way too "mobile game" feeling. Don't like the gameplay and feel of it.

I used to play Smash Brothers Melee competitions (Gamecube), and the while the Wii incarnation was terrible, the Wii-U version has been quite good and I've been playing it regularly. I try to keep my skill at a decent level and I give semi-pros and pros a run for the money when I'm in form. Below is a GIF wherein I kick R.O.B.'s butt with my main character, Peach.

ezgif.com-crop.gif

Right now I am pretty eagerly awaiting Pillars of Eternity II. I enjoyed the first part quite a bit. I enjoyed Divine Divinity: Original Sin 2 even more. I played that last year and loved the hell out of it. I'd put it somewhere in my top 5 best RPGs ever (Along with Planescape: Torment, Chrono Trigger, and such). I eagerly await a sequel to Original Sin 2 as well. Another thing I will likely enjoy is Cyberpunk 2077.

So, in the recent years I'm always playing UO (with breaks) + Smash Brothers,.. and sometimes games come out that I will sink my teeth into, like Fallout 4 or Witcher 3. I obviously enjoy RPGs and open world games, but I try to play all genres. I didn't get PC action-RPGs for the longest time, until I suddenly finished Diablo 3 + expansions in 2015. I've now also almost finished Grim Dawn and played quite a bit of Path of Exile. Though the crampy zoom still annoys me and I got bored with it. I am not a fan of defeating endless hordes of enemies in games (at all!), but the freedom in making builds is one of the aspects that I finally "got" about aRPGs. I also like space stuff. Played "Elite: Dangerous" for quite a bit and I'm a backer of Star Citizen.

Soon I'm starting development on my next game (I develop myself), so I'll likely have less time to game.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been playing a lot of Runescape lately, after Tyrath got me curious about it. Compared to UO, there are pros and cons
The biggest con for a solo player is RS is a lot more lonely than UO. You can chat with friends and guilds that you've connected with. but I've not seen a general chat. Even playing solo in UO, you feel connected to everybody else
Also, I've not found any type of forum like Stratics for RS. There are RS forums, but they seem very topic oriented and limited and not much of a community
Houses - In RS, you can only share your house with friends - houses are instanced and not visible in the world at large, like in a different dimension. And the houses are like mod blocks, not anything like UO where you can decorate and display as you want and anybody can see it, Plus, to add rooms to a house in RS to any useful level, you have to raise your construction skill, which is a real bother.
Another bother for me, the backpack. To minimize scripting, a paid account can only carry 28 items at a time. So if you need to mine 100 ore, you have to make 5 trips to the bank. If there's a bag of sending equivalent in RS, I've not seen it. A lot of running around that you don't have to do in UO.
Pros for RS:
The world is just full of life and activities everywhere you go. It's bright and colorful and no wastelands of emptiness like much of UO
There's a lot of humor in RS. A lot of it is corny and cartoonish, but it's kind of amusing.
Skill gains are based on experience, like the old RPGs with levels. There is grind galore, but there's no fickle RNG involved.
To avoid just grinding, there are daily challenges for experiences
There are more than 100 quests for experience, and they give valuable rewards and experience - unlike UO, where most of the quests are outdated and useless
There is a treasure chest system where you can either earn keys from quests and challenges (paid accounts get 2 a day) to click for either skill bonuses or cosmetic items. It's fun, but it can be Pay to Play, and it can end up costing you as much as a Vegas slot machine if you don't watch it
I'm not switching from UO to RS, but I think UO could pick up some pointers from RS, and I plan to keep messing around in both worlds.
EDIT: I'll also grab and play any RPG that comes out - Skyrim, Witcher, Divine Divinity - all of them
Couple of tips for the 28 pack....... Magic Note Paper notes pretty much everything making it stackable. LvL 25 Dungeoneering I think maybe lvl 20 gives you access to the dwarven mine resource dungeon. That particular resource dungeon has a bank deposit box right inside the door and has a lot of coal rock, 3 silver and 7 mithril inside it. Outside there is iron, mithril, adamantine and the mining guild door right there with pretty much endless coal. I level mining on the 3 iron rocks right outside the resource dungeon and pull 2000-2200 iron ore per hour. Get 4000 dungeoneering tokens (Pretty easy soloing small dungeons up to about floor 18) then buy the coal bag with them it holds 81 coal. West of the seer's village following the tracks and with 20 agility there are the coal trucks and a large coal mine (Bats lvl 44 can be a pita for lower combat toons but after 10 minutes they ignore you), coal carts I believe transport 241 coal to start with to a depot very close to the seer village bank 241+81+27 = a nice haul of coal. If you want gold, silver or clay get to level 40 crafting and use the rocks in the Crafting guild, there is a bank chest a screen to the east of the craft guild and a deposit box in the guild but you have to have completed all of the faldor elite task to use the one in the guild. Summoning, you can summon various pack animals that hold various amounts of stuff, summoning is one of my weak spots so I rarely use it.

Get mage up to 40 something can't remember and use superheat to smelt, take your coal bag full of coal and mine a pack full of iron and super heat it into steel bars. Speeds things up a lot and levels your mageryand blacksmith at the same time.

Do you smelting and Smithing in Lumbridge there is a bank box right next to the forge and anvil.

Get the Varrok Armor 1 from the easy task you mine a extra ore now and then up to and including coal and it speeds up smelting.

The P2W aspect kind of sucks as with about $4500 you can buy every skill to 99 with keys and lamps when they run the heavy on the lamps with the keys. But all of the other stuff via keys besides the lamps and stars are available through game play and clue scrolls. If you don't want to be tempted by being a P2W and carry real credibility make a Ironman/woman or Hardcore Ironman/woman acct and play it. A Ironman acct does not have the same perm death penalty as a Hardcore Ironman acct but has all of the same trade, key and GE restrictions that a HCIM acct has. And for 50k you buy the book of diplomacy LOL from the guy in Edgeville to teach you how to get along with other players and remove your ironman status or if a HCIM drop you to plain IM.

Hire nooblets to be runners when I was doing fletching and got to magic short bows I camped the magic trees and paid two guys to pick flax, make bow strings and bring them to me at the magic trees.... I paid them with the strung bows that high level alchemy for a nice bit of gold. Did the same with black smithing I provided the Iron and coal and they smelted it and ran it to me at the forge and I gave them the steel plates in exchange.... even doing it that way back in the day it took 7 months chained to a anvil to hit 99 smithing... no lamps, or bonus experience back then just grind it up. Of course a runite full plate set was the best armor and rune 2 hand sword was the ultimate weapon back then and there were exactly 4 of us that could make the rune 2 handers and 2 of us that could mine the runite ore back then :) Much easier game now days.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@Tyrath - that tip on Magic Notepaper is great, thanks. Looks like both RS and UO have a lot of secrets and shortcuts you’d never know unless somebody told you.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Tyrath - that tip on Magic Notepaper is great, thanks. Looks like both RS and UO have a lot of secrets and shortcuts you’d never know unless somebody told you.
LOL I was just in the craft guild mining some silver and watching another player making soft clay one at a time (Click Pitcher, click sink, click clay repeat) Finally asked him if he knew he could just click the clay and use it on the sink and it would auto make the soft clay.........no pitcher even required in the pack? When I left he was still grumbling about making 2000 soft clay one at a time with a pitcher LOL.......... little things like that :)