• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Endless Journey- for Dev's and Vet's

What do you think?

• Total voters

Elaysia

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hate to break it to you, but having some ideas doesn't make you the voice of reason.
No dear, but I've seen you in every single post where people have been trying to reason with just you alone and boy you got a lot of energy, lol

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Definitely!! My first house was a small tower and I loved it so much, but you know how it is after awhile you really want that big house.
So was mine... took less than 10 min to fill it... I was so relieved to stop living out of my bank boxes... but still couldn't do much of anything crafting wise as there was no room... I can't imagine a crafter coming back to EJ... would be impossible.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Give me! Give me! Give me! Sounds like alls you people want is to make it where they can shut down some of their paying accounts and let them go EJ and won't EA love that. EJ accounts have far more cans than the old 14 day free trial account and alls you see is a small group of people wanting more and I truly have to ask why. Is this really for the benefit of UO or is it their greed starting to show. EJ accounts need to be enough to let you see what UO is about and it should never be intended to let you play forever on a FREE account. You want the perks then sub.
You need to stop living in the past, UO has been dying for years. I wan't UO filled with players like in the old days where we had huge faction battles, heck you could't even go to yew moongate without 10 people trying to rob you aaah that was good times.
I would love to see an sub model only, but we all know after 10 years++ with dead shards, that this aien't gonna happend.
The future is micro transactions, the current generation of online gamer's dont want to spend $10 a month for a game with outdated graphics and empty shards.
EA and you need to adopt to the future.

Elaysia

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Those were the days! I think UO still has plenty of life in it as I've seen others say people are looking for a true sandbox game and there isn't a better one out there. People will try anything that's free so it's important to get it done right if you're going to do it.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Facts are in my short sighted vision:
--Uo has been accused of dying for years -- Its still there after all the years of dying. It is still evolving, changing and still has its open sandbox MMO feel, and has staff looking after it and (occasionally) listening to players.
--The majority of players are loyals, they are adult and not 16 year olds.
--The majority of players love the game and choose it over other similar ones. Thats why they still play UO.
--The graphics in CC have been very good and realistic and still are. Even EC is ok.
--The content continues to evolve.
--The game is 1000 different things to different people. Not everyone enjoys bank sitting with uber Plat armor on and Plat pets on tow. There are crafters, plant farmers, warriors, tamers with 1000 different possible combos of skills on pets, bards, Pkers, PvPers, the list is large of what people enjoy to do..
--EJ if anything is and should be just that: A taste of the game, and if like it, then sub. Not a permission for a freebie version of the game with all the desirable perks. A dangerous fine line here as to what EJ's need to be allowed to do.
--The quality of the community in the UO is probably the best out there. The misfits and deranged and pervs are very few. Admittedly they make a lot noise and clamor at times but they are few. In my myopic vision, one of the big perks in the game is the community of other players.

--The only problem I have with the game is that I have limited time allowance to play the game, due to real life work and obligations, but that is my problem, not the game's..

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You need to stop living in the past, UO has been dying for years. I wan't UO filled with players like in the old days where we had huge faction battles, heck you could't even go to yew moongate without 10 people trying to rob you aaah that was good times.
I would love to see an sub model only, but we all know after 10 years++ with dead shards, that this aien't gonna happend.
The future is micro transactions, the current generation of online gamer's dont want to spend $10 a month for a game with outdated graphics and empty shards.
EA and you need to adopt to the future.
inb4 "Show me a dead shard" and "As long as there is one player it isn't dead" :rolleyes:

Elaysia

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Facts are in my short sighted vision:
--Uo has been accused of dying for years -- Its still there after all the years of dying. It is still evolving, changing and still has its open sandbox MMO feel, and has staff looking after it and (occasionally) listening to players.
--The majority of players are loyals, they are adult and not 16 year olds.
--The majority of players love the game and choose it over other similar ones. Thats why they still play UO.
--The graphics in CC have been very good and realistic and still are. Even EC is ok.
--The content continues to evolve.
--The game is 1000 different things to different people. Not everyone enjoys bank sitting with uber Plat armor on and Plat pets on tow. There are crafters, plant farmers, warriors, tamers with 1000 different possible combos of skills on pets, bards, Pkers, PvPers, the list is large of what people enjoy to do..
--EJ if anything is and should be just that: A taste of the game, and if like it, then sub. Not a permission for a freebie version of the game with all the desirable perks. A dangerous fine line here as to what EJ's need to be allowed to do.
--The quality of the community in the UO is probably the best out there. The misfits and deranged and pervs are very few. Admittedly they make a lot noise and clamor at times but they are few. In my myopic vision, one of the big perks in the game is the community of other players.

--The only problem I have with the game is that I have limited time allowance to play the game, due to real life work and obligations, but that is my problem, not the game's..
Okay so I don't think anyone is saying that UO doesn't have loyal mature vets and of course they love it or they wouldn't continue to play for years. UO is perfectly fine as it is, it just needs to move forward with F2P options so that the other 99% might come join in.

This dangerous line is gone, long gone. People have been playing Free UO servers for many years now so it would actually bring those players back. That freebie version will make way more money than the sub version if it is done correctly.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Okay so I don't think anyone is saying that UO doesn't have loyal mature vets and of course they love it or they wouldn't continue to play for years. UO is perfectly fine as it is, it just needs to move forward with F2P options so that the other 99% might come join in.

This dangerous line is gone, long gone. People have been playing Free UO servers for many years now so it would actually bring those players back. That freebie version will make way more money than the sub version if it is done correctly.
So you are assuming that a F2P UO sponsored by EA and managed by BS is going to have all the same stuff as an illegal UO to get all those players back. If that is the case then what will EA/BS sell to make money. I could close all my accounts and still keep everything then.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see now we're back to the age old push by very few (usually w/ hidden agendas) for F2P UO.....:bdh:

That's true, but if you want improvements then you're going to have to see reason.
"My way is the best, u just need to smarten up.":twak:

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No dear, but I've seen you in every single post where people have been trying to reason with just you alone and boy you got a lot of energy, lol
Talk abt energy, 40% o_Oof the posts on the 1st page are yours Ela (20 out of 50). Heck, you even have 7 posts in a row o.0 w/o a single person responding in between.
Pot calling the kettle black much? :stir:
;)

Elaysia

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Talk abt energy, 40% o_Oof the posts on the 1st page are yours Ela (20 out of 50). Heck, you even have 7 posts in a row o.0 w/o a single person responding in between.
Pot calling the kettle black much? :stir:
;)
I answered posts and it is my thread, plus are you his protector? I didn't say anything that should have hurt his feelings. Also, I've only done that on this thread he is on every single thread in every single forum. :banana:

Last edited by a moderator:

Elaysia

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So you are assuming that a F2P UO sponsored by EA and managed by BS is going to have all the same stuff as an illegal UO to get all those players back. If that is the case then what will EA/BS sell to make money. I could close all my accounts and still keep everything then.
No, I'm saying they pay for it in the store. Have you never played a F2P game before? It's been around for quite some time and believe it or not very successfully. Did you even read my post? You're acting like I said give everything to EJ accounts.

Edited to add more information

Elaysia

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I see now we're back to the age old push by very few (usually w/ hidden agendas) for F2P UO.....:bdh:

"My way is the best, u just need to smarten up.":twak:
I'm going to answer a few things you said, first it's not few trust me on that, step out of the bubble and google around about EJ. Second, the fact that you didn't read the post before voting and bragging about it says a lot about you and so I can't take you seriously.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No, I'm saying they pay for it in the store. Have you never played a F2P game before? It's been around for quite some time and believe it or not very successfully. Did you even read my post? You're acting like I said give everything to EJ accounts.

Edited to add more information
I have played F2P and your statement is that with UO F2P that we would get all the people from the free servers and I called BS on it because to get them you would have to give everything that they have for free so there would be nothing for them to spend their money on because it would already be in UO for FREE. You really need to stop pointing fingers and READ what people are saying.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have played F2P and your statement is that with UO F2P that we would get all the people from the free servers and I called BS on it because to get them you would have to give everything that they have for free so there would be nothing for them to spend their money on because it would already be in UO for FREE. You really need to stop pointing fingers and READ what people are saying.
Does it really matter where the revenue comes from F2P model vs paid subscription only model?
So far the subscription model dosen't seem to apply very well in online games anymore.

Take games like fortnite for example, its a "brand" new game, and its model is F2P where you can buy stuff from a shop.
Take another game like Leauge of legends also completely free to play, here you can also buy stuff from their ingame shop to support the game.
Leauge of legends have existed for over 8 years, and they have over 200million active accounts around the world, and hell ya they make tons of money by giving it all away for FREE to use your'e own words.

I think personally that EJ is a step in the right direction, we can always debate how restrictive these EJ accounts should be, but the main fact is that EJ is good is that it opens up the ingame store to a larger audience. We can only hope that EA/BS will make things aviable in their shop that people are willing to buy.

I'm not so naive that i think UO will get any players from freeshards nor do i care. But i do believe UO will get some returning players and even completly new player.

Elaysia

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Does it really matter where the revenue comes from F2P model vs paid subscription only model?
So far the subscription model dosen't seem to apply very well in online games anymore.

Take games like fortnite for example, its a "brand" new game, and its model is F2P where you can buy stuff from a shop.
Take another game like Leauge of legends also completely free to play, here you can also buy stuff from their ingame shop to support the game.
Leauge of legends have existed for over 8 years, and they have over 200million active accounts around the world, and hell ya they make tons of money by giving it all away for FREE to use your'e own words.

I think personally that EJ is a step in the right direction, we can always debate how restrictive these EJ accounts should be, but the main fact is that EJ is good is that it opens up the ingame store to a larger audience. We can only hope that EA/BS will make things aviable in their shop that people are willing to buy.

I'm not so naive that i think UO will get any players from freeshards nor do i care. But i do believe UO will get some returning players and even completly new player.
I agree I think that EJ is at least a step in the right direction.

Elaysia

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lol, you really think I was implying all of them? If that's how it came across that's not what I meant as far as the free servers go. My message is getting lost with all this trivial stuff that you keep pointing out.

I'm sorry, but I won't be replying to your posts anymore because you keep trying to get an argument going and it's getting ridiculously silly.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We can only hope that EA/BS will make things aviable in their shop that people are willing to buy.
I hope some EA rep steps in and gives Bonnie some proper directions when revenue doesn't turn out what they expected. Don't count on Broadsword for improvements, they are only protecting the status quo and have never signaled any interest in making this a viable F2P option.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lol, you really think I was implying all of them? If that's how it came across that's not what I meant as far as the free servers go. My message is getting lost with all this trivial stuff that you keep pointing out.

I'm sorry, but I won't be replying to your posts anymore because you keep trying to get an argument going and it's getting ridiculously silly.
THINK You said it as a flat out fact. Maybe you should read what you write.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I hope some EA rep steps in and gives Bonnie some proper directions when revenue doesn't turn out what they expected. Don't count on Broadsword for improvements, they are only protecting the status quo and have never signaled any interest in making this a viable F2P option.
Are you that naive that everything that they have done is with the blessing of EA. EA has been micromanaging everything from the day they purchased it, why do you think Richard left. Take them rose colored glasses off.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are you that naive that everything that they have done is with the blessing of EA. EA has been micromanaging everything from the day they purchased it, why do you think Richard left. Take them rose colored glasses off.
Wasn't it Bonnie that always said UO isn't going F2P? That makes me presume EA dictated this move. I find the thought that EA micromanages UO very absurd tbh, but there is little point discussing anything with you @Lord Frodo, so I will leave it at that.

Dorset

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I feel for you Elaysia, you will not win here.

Nice original post, as you can already tell you will not please everyone, this far down the track that is the main problem with UO.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
On Europa we get a lot of people that previously played on free shards, whether or not they subscribed after the trial was another matter, but a few did, maybe EJ will mean they will stay a bit longer, who knows?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wasn't it Bonnie that always said UO isn't going F2P? That makes me presume EA dictated this move. I find the thought that EA micromanages UO very absurd tbh, but there is little point discussing anything with you @Lord Frodo, so I will leave it at that.
EA to BS you have our permission to go F2P with these restrictions. Maybe you should learn why Richard left EA and how EA has always said what is to be done with all its games.

Treasure Hunter

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
EA to BS you have our permission to go F2P with these restrictions. Maybe you should learn why Richard left EA and how EA has always said what is to be done with all its games.
EA probably has UO in its crosshairs = Evaluation time.

Like someone here on the forums said "UO is EA's red headed stepchild".

I'd agree. I imagine UO could be nothing more than a thorn in EA's side, after 20yrs and 97% of the game worlds are barren land as far as the eye can see. Maybe they have came out of the shadows with some F2P demands???

Elaysia

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Right, notice I never mentioned anything about server merge even though there's so much barren land. The reason I didn't, is because there's people that keep subscribing to hold onto their houses but don't actually play.

Although, realistically they should probably go down to about 10 shards with EJ at this time but which shards? I'm sure they already have which shards in mind, but will never do it due to people getting scared that it's the end. Plus they would have to give out free shard tokens, and I'm sure vets wouldn't like that.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...are you his protector?
No, just observant.

...the fact that you didn't read the post before voting and bragging about it says a lot about you and so I can't take you seriously.
The way you worded your poll says a lot abt u & precludes taking you seriously. The point I was making on your poll stands. I've read this entire thread after voting.

Please contact @Captn Norrington or other admins to combine your new account & your "very old stratics account" to avoid the appearance of being yet another F2P groupie.:banana:

all I see is a big loss in revenue by giving EJ accounts some of the things people are asking for.
Exactly. Housing that competes w/ paying accounts should never happen. Instanced housing sounds good but your asking for implementation of an entirely new housing system. I doubt BS has the time or resources.

The goal of EJ is to give a taste of UO, more so than the late Trail Accounts, with the hope of gaining new subs. It is not & most certainly should not be to make UO F2P.
Much of what is being asked for would close out paying accounts, cost BS in terms of R&D, and be detrimental to the paying player base.
I will never be a fan of F2P. You get what you pay for.

Elaysia

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No, just observant.

The way you worded your poll says a lot abt u & precludes taking you seriously. The point I was making on your poll stands. I've read this entire thread after voting.

Please contact @Captn Norrington or other admins to combine your new account & your "very old stratics account" to avoid the appearance of being yet another F2P groupie.:banana:

Exactly. Housing that competes w/ paying accounts should never happen. Instanced housing sounds good but your asking for implementation of an entirely new housing system. I doubt BS has the time or resources.

The goal of EJ is to give a taste of UO, more so than the late Trail Accounts, with the hope of gaining new subs. It is not & most certainly should not be to make UO F2P.
Much of what is being asked for would close out paying accounts, cost BS in terms of R&D, and be detrimental to the paying player base.
I will never be a fan of F2P. You get what you pay for.
I did contact them, but I'm still waiting on a reply to merge my accounts. I'm not worried about the poll it is just a lure to get people talking, which it has done. Also, I'm aware of what Ej and it's pretty much F2P with limitations and I'm merely suggestion to improve it.

As far as housing goes, it's not exactly new housing system it's rather old deeds that could be converted into a different type of rental contract. Regardless, I've been talking about this for a very long time on Stratics so I'm not just F2P groupie, my game account was created in 2000 and my Stratics account in 2003. I love Stratics as it is my favorite UO forum and there used to be quite a few of them back in the day.

Anyway, nothing else to be said here.

Also @Captn Norrington can confirm that i'm not lying about my account.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter