• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Reviving UO

Altec

Visitor
Just wondering if people are really interested in saving and growing the community of this game?? Yes it is old and the graphics aren't the best but UO is the the best D&D style sandbox game there is. I think we should as a community start looking into using the things that make other games popular these days like video blogs. The graphics in this game are better than minecraft and people still play that for hours on end and the watch other people play it as well and maybe we should reach out to current popular bloggers that have played minecraft or the sims. There is a large portion of gamers that have never heard of UO and i think if they did they would enjoy it. I have been gone a few years but i have played this game since the beginning and i would really hate to see it completely die out.

Feather

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Video blogs might be the way to go. I admit, after hearing UO was still going I did a quick google search. Found loads of pages (Stratics included). Not many videos on the gameplay tho. I did check out a few and that was part of my decision to return. EJ being the other, that I could play for a while before a final decision.

Altec

Visitor
I never blogged before but i am going to do my research and try and figure it out. I think if we as a community picked our battles, we could make this work. We might not be able to save every server but if we could get decent videos out on certain shards, i think we could enhance those communities and get some of the empty servers removed because those hurt the community people try the game and get on one of those servers and literally see nobody that isn't good for a mmo.

If anyone is interested I am back on Great lakes and even though i couldn't restore my original main account I still have my KTF guild.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ask my boys, and any kids out there now, what one of the most popular games is worldwide, and they will answer Roblox.

It is effectively an MMORPG version of mine-craft, which they graduated from.

In Minecraft they built stuff like Lego, now they role-play different scenario's.
I asked my boys what they were doing the other day when they were both sitting on the sofa each with iPad in hand;
"Oh we just robbed the jewellery store, and the eldest is driving us out in our getaway Lamborghini whilst the youngest is chilling in the passenger seat eating a pixel strawberry doughnut..."
Sometimes, I just see them running round a park like lunatics, or playing hide and seek, it's all completely inane, but they are making their own fun.

Check out the graphics and the link below.

Roblox - Wikipedia

Graphics really don't matter anymore, in fact UO Classic Client is way ahead of the graphics curve right now.

It is also way ahead of the content curve of all the console games that have had billions invested in them.

Content, imagination and fun are what matter in gaming. Graphics that are too realistic can hinder the imagination, so it actually helps a game to have obviously pixelated graphics. All the best games do. They are the ones that bring back nostalgia.

My boys look over my shoulders in awe, and want to play Dad's game, because they know Dad has the most fun, advanced and sophisticated toys.

I won't let them, I've lost too much of my life to this addiction. o_O

Luckily for me, I started playing at 25, just after I'd completed all my studies, and got myself set with good grades and a career for life, or I'd be screwed...

All UO needs to do, is put itself out there.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Ask my boys, and any kids out there now, what one of the most popular games is worldwide, and they will answer Roblox.

It is effectively an MMORPG version of mine-craft, which they graduated from.

In Minecraft they built stuff like Lego, now they role-play different scenario's.
I asked my boys what they were doing the other day when they were both sitting on the sofa each with iPad in hand;
"Oh we just robbed the jewellery store, and the eldest is driving us out in our getaway Lamborghini whilst the youngest is chilling in the passenger seat eating a pixel strawberry doughnut..."
Sometimes, I just see them running round a park like lunatics, or playing hide and seek, it's all completely inane, but they are making their own fun.

Check out the graphics and the link below.

Roblox - Wikipedia

Graphics really don't matter anymore, in fact UO Classic Client is way ahead of the graphics curve right now.

It is also way ahead of the content curve of all the console games that have had billions invested in them.

Content, imagination and fun are what matter in gaming. Graphics that are too realistic can hinder the imagination, so it actually helps a game to have obviously pixelated graphics. All the best games do. They are the ones that bring back nostalgia.

My boys look over my shoulders in awe, and want to play Dad's game, because they know Dad has the most fun, advanced and sophisticated toys.

I won't let them, I've lost too much of my life to this addiction. o_O

Luckily for me, I started playing at 25, just after I'd completed all my studies, and got myself set with good grades and a career for life, or I'd be screwed...

All UO needs to do, is put itself out there.
Tehy need more aggressive advertising..

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Minecraft and the like are "fun" because they require little thought... WoW is popular because all you do is follow the preset path to end game... anyone can do that.... you follow the flow follow the chart get your special gear for this that level etc...

UO requires thought... planning, it isn't handed to you in a string of mindless quests... ... you have to figure things out for yourself...

If you don't know you have a bank box the game isn't going to tell you that.... or how to use it... if you didn't know you could sheer a sheep for wool and take that wool to a spinning wheel spin it into yarn and then weave that on the loom to get cloth, cut the cloth into bandages etc... would you figure that out for yourself??? Because the game isn't going to tell you that either...

That is the difference between UO and most other games... it's VERY obscure and has so many varying systems it's hard even for Vets and returning Vets to "learn" all those things.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The players are the biggest form of advertising. If you have a facebook, use it. If you have a Twitter, use it. If you don't want your identity out there, make fan pages and spread the word. Tweet to RG and ask for a RT. Find those Vloggers and publicly ask them to give the game a try and volunteer help if they accept. If someone like Pewdiepie comes and finds something he likes then you've automatically hit curiosity with an insanely high number of gamers.

There's an extremely negative vibe towards EJ accounts where there should be encouragement to put the money down for a sub. You're killing your own game with negativity and naysaying.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you don't know you have a bank box the game isn't going to tell you that.... or how to use it...
I've never thought of that before... how do new players even find out bank boxes exist? It seems like the game should have something built-in to tell them it exists, considering it's the only way they can store anything until they get a house and it's unlikely they're ever going to accidentally say the word "bank" and see it open.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've never thought of that before... how do new players even find out bank boxes exist? It seems like the game should have something built-in to tell them it exists, considering it's the only way they can store anything until they get a house and it's unlikely they're ever going to accidentally say the word "bank" and see it open.
I once encountered two players in Haven who were new... they wanted to know how we paid for things considering the backpack only holds so much weight and things in luna cost millions but how do you carry that much gold to buy stuff they wanted to know...

I directed them to the bank and taught them about checks... (this was before the gold conversion)... They were amazed but also rather pissed as they had been dumping everything they picked up to make room for gold and could have used some of that stuff ... Ever since then I have not been to kind on the lack of a new player experience... since yeah... basic things of the game are left hidden... Bank boxes, housing, where to safely log out... all that stuff that a new player simply has no clue about.

Now... I've recently started playing Black Desert Online and it has a rich questing system in game and reminds me of UO a lot except the way UO should be now....with modern graphics... though I keep hearing how it's very pay to win... many of the players really enjoy it for the open PvP... Haven't really noticed that but I also haven't hit level 50 where you become basically an open target for all... But unlike UO you can take one character learn a skill set and then all the "life skills" ie crafting... are free to learn... Very complex crafting system. Mostly like it for the ability to breed your horses and level them. Don't really care about the PvP.

Anyway... there are a lot of things that UO could do much better...

kalexpor

Adventurer
Anyway... there are a lot of things that UO could do much better...
i said that ultima online is the best game in the world.
i think that so genius persons created britannia that there is no game like uo even until now.

and, it means that there is nothing that uo have to do much better, in most case.
if you change uo to do much better, it will be a kind of destruction, in most case.

and i like you malagaste, i do not want to fight against you.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wasn't it that the bank gump auto opens for young accounts? I presume it's the same for EJ.

Another thing you see quite often with totally fresh UO players: Nobody tells them you have to toggle war mode for fighting.

It's as basic as this little things..

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i said that ultima online is the best game in the world.
i think that so genius persons created britannia that there is no game like uo even until now.

and, it means that there is nothing that uo have to do much better, in most case.
if you change uo to do much better, it will be a kind of destruction, in most case.

and i like you malagaste, i do not want to fight against you.
UO is not what it was anymore IMO... once upon a time it was a place of community... where what mattered was being in one... doing things as a group... you needed a group... playing solo was difficult... Dragons were feared and it took a community to kill them. Group hunts were the best way to go... then AoS happened... they moved from community to itemization... and suddenly soloing everything was the way to get all the stuff for yourself... community was less important... we had repair deeds instead of needing to visit a crafter who could repair your things you just had a piece of paper you could buy from some npc you don't know who made... and you don't care... making gold and getting more stuff was what to do...

Now it's grind grind grind alone to get all the hordes to sell for gold to sell for cash to make RL money and F anyone who stands in your way...

No that's not the UO I fell in love with. That UO is gone... and no that was not an All Fel Kill everyone take all their stuff because I can and ruin their day UO... lawless self-pleasure is not what I fell in love with... I fell in love with communities... working together to gain friendship and grow. Either serving the Kingdom protecting the realm of serving evil and attempting to take over the realm... and rule it.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it means that there is nothing that uo have to do much better, in most case.
I agree. UO was pretty much perfect in its 'classic' era and didnt need over engineering in an attempt to make it 'better'

Yip. Thats exactly what happened.

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aye, it was much better in its classic form....it may not have needed "over engineering."

But then, you would have a crowd of people who said UO never changes and people would have left....slippery slope.

I miss the Old UO though. AOS was when I pretty much gave up.

RL'S pker

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Dev team completely destroyed this game. It's not been worth playing in 10+ years. I literally only check these forums from time to time to get a laugh at the game's current state.

Hi @Omnicron , how you doin cracka?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
The Dev team completely destroyed this game. It's not been worth playing in 10+ years. I literally only check these forums from time to time to get a laugh at the game's current state.

Hi @Omnicron , how you doin cracka?
Actually, give it a try and put your glasses on:
--The devs did not destroy the game at all. It is actually great if not the best MMO outhere, and with new content.
--The people that play it love it.
--There is a new taming revamp/boost that is awesome, and still being tweaked.
--There are new people coming in all the time, and the EJ has not been around for even 1 month, and with no aggressive advertising.

You may have some surprises..

RL'S pker

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, give it a try and put your glasses on:
--The devs did not destroy the game at all. It is actually great if not the best MMO outhere, and with new content.
--The people that play it love it.
--There is a new taming revamp/boost that is awesome, and still being tweaked.
--There are new people coming in all the time, and the EJ has not been around for even 1 month, and with no aggressive advertising.

You may have some surprises..
I played in Fel not Tammel. I've seen the changes they've made, and check the patch notes. It's horrible for pvp, aside from the VvV being somewhat okay. Take your blindfold off and see what other games have done and been doing, then take a look at UO. You will agree.

Most EJ accounts will go inactive once they see they can't store ANYTHING. They had a very small window to actually attract players back, but burnt that bridge by denying any form of storage. Typical UO Dev team.

Last edited:

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Whats up brotha. Im still trolling these forums and log in from time to time.

But for those of us who grew up playing UO before AOS....its not the same! I played in FEL and PvP'd. That was the best times this game had.

What are you doing these days RL?

Elaysia

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here's what my home shard LS used to look like back in the day! Lol, I'm also posting my first house because you can see the old ICQ icons, but look at that old green icon this was a program we used so that calls wouldn't interrupt the game because we were on dial up! Trying to remember the name of it...

I think UO can still be revived, and they're at least going in the right direction with EJ.

LS_Glow.png

UO_Tower.png

Dorset

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aye, it was much better in its classic form....it may not have needed "over engineering."

But then, you would have a crowd of people who said UO never changes and people would have left....slippery slope.

I miss the Old UO though. AOS was when I pretty much gave up.

Completely agree with this, they started fiddling around with a great classic game and ended up with gargoyles and neon capes??

I know the whole PK gank started to ruin the game a little, but they should have looked at other options.
If they could have somehow looked at other ways of changing the PVP and keeping it within a certain group i.e. Order/Chaos/ or Factions rather than splitting the world in two trammel/Felucca. The game use to be dependant on working as a group, each char had a use. The trade chars played a great part, great trading with other chars for materials etc. Now everything is completed out of your own house in the middle of nowhere, working off spreadsheets, fun aye..... This game is made to play and enjoy with other players, that's one of the great things the older players miss.

People may say it would have kept the game basic, but these basic games have come around full circle now and are more popular than ever. When you see other versions of the game out there that guys are running out of a spare bedroom it just makes you think what could have been.

Happy Monday peeps :)

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only way UO is going to grow is to increase the size of Development team. EA hasn't cared about this game, since Stygian Abyss. EA took alot of the talent from UO and put them in other games.

Not knocking Messana or the current development team. They seam to only be able to do two big publishes a year. To bad EJ is one for 2018.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only way UO is going to grow is to increase the size of Development team. EA hasn't cared about this game, since Stygian Abyss. EA took alot of the talent from UO and put them in other games.

Not knocking Messana or the current development team. They seam to only be able to do two big publishes a year. To bad EJ is one for 2018.

Two big publishes a year is plenty, it's going well in that sense.

And I don't think it is too bad EJ is one of them - they've pulled it off again in my opinion.

They had a huge success with the Taming publish, and the buzz, and volume of new players with EJ has to make this one count as a huge success also.
We as a guild have had a lot of old friends come back, and seen a lot of new players on our shard, it's busy, fun and active.

One thing I'd like to see going forwards - and I'll probably sound a bit like Mervyn here, is an attempt to address some of the old "untidy" issues, just to tidy up gameplay.
If they could dedicate time to that, it would be cool.

Two big publishes a year is plenty, it's going well in that sense.

And I don't think it is too bad EJ is one of them - they've pulled it off again in my opinion.

They had a huge success with the Taming publish, and the buzz, and volume of new players with EJ has to make this one count as a huge success also.
We as a guild have had a lot of old friends come back, and seen a lot of new players on our shard, it's busy, fun and active.

One thing I'd like to see going forwards - and I'll probably sound a bit like Mervyn here, is an attempt to address some of the old "untidy" issues, just to tidy up gameplay.
If they could dedicate time to that, it would be cool.
Well, publish 100 is supposed to be all about quality of life improvements and bugs, so.. here's hoping that'll be sweet.