• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Guild Rank Questions....

PinkPandora

Rares Fest Host | LS April 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I have recently noticed this posting: Guild - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

It has a nice chart about the different ranks of guild members...
First question is... Why can't the Warlord status do everything the Emissary can do? Can someone explain the logic for this please?

Other question: if a guild leader is MIA, how can you get another guild leader? Someone mentioned that the Warlord automatically gets guild leader status if the original guild leader quits; is this true?

Other question: ....but if the regular guild leader is only MIA vs. no longer a member.... how do we get an active guild leader?

thanks for the insight folks :)

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I don't think that always works as they intended, two years ago when my husband and I came back we had a bit of a problem when he was deleting a character that we forgot was the Guild Leader, one of my sister's characters was promoted to Leader by the game mechanics and at that point she hadn't played UO for 5 years! It totally ignored our other 10 characters which had all been logged in during the previous few weeks.

PinkPandora

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
thanks for the feedback....
i still have the question in my head... Why can't the Warlord status do everything the Emissary can do? Can someone explain the logic for this please?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Warlords are sorta useless unless your guild is into guild wars.

There was a change in Publish 72 for fixing the missing guild leader situation in some cases: "Added functionality to resolve guild hierarchy issues when a guild has no active (characters that have logged in within the last 30 days) voting members. When a guild has no active voting members (Guild Leader, Warlords, Emissaries or Members) and only has active non-voting members (Ronins) the system will now hold a special election which will promote the guild member (Ronin) that was most recently active to become the guild master. If the system is unable to identify the most recently active member, it will randomly select an active guild member (Ronin) to promote. This special election will ONLY occur when there are no active voting guild members."

If your guild does have active voting guild members but the guild leader has been absent or you just don't think they are being effective, get them all to vote for a new guild leader!
there is also a bit of randomness to the system as @Tina Small can attest to, as a couple times a random character will get the Guild Leader for what seems like no reason at all.
as with most stuff in UO there are gremlins in the machine!

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
thanks for the feedback....
i still have the question in my head... Why can't the Warlord status do everything the Emissary can do? Can someone explain the logic for this please?
It was supposed to be a way to prevent the warlord from adding more fighters in the middle of a battle. If the guild war is going on and each side has a fair fight of 10 people each, but then the warlord suddenly adds 20 more previously non-guilded people or alternate characters to the guild in the middle of the fight it was considered an unfair tactic to use against the other side.

It was also intended to be a "separation of powers" type of thing. The warlord is technically the 2nd in command of the guild because it's the next highest rank under guildmaster. So if the warlord could both declare war and recruit people, he would have exactly the same powers as the actual guildmaster, thereby making him a second guildmaster. By removing the warlord's ability to recruit and the emissary's ability to declare war, the power of the guildmaster rank is preserved since they are the only one that can do both.

PinkPandora

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
ok, Captn, that actually makes my logic brain happy! thank you for sharing that insight. I couldn't figure it out on my own.