• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Enless Journey not for Archers

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Endless journey is not for anyone. Like seriously, whose idea was it to say no to storage options.
Yep, all that effort just for a little taste of the game. Like when you got to Jewel and they have tasting of a cheese, product etc? You dont like it, then you dont buy it. But with NO storage for EJ, not even a tiny little storage, pretty hard to see how new players will get hooked I think..I guess we will have to wait and see what happens..

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Compare EJ to other F2P+Sub Models... like SWTOR... in that game the F2P has some limitations, but is perfectly playable. You could play for free and do basically everything and have fun, while subscribing gives perks.

EJ seems like a non-starter by comparison.
To be fair though I started playing SWTOR in beta and paid a subscription the entire time it was a subscription only game. As soon as it went free to play I dropped my subscription and just spent like $50 buying all the individual account upgrades the subscription had given me before. I haven't paid SWTOR a single cent in years since then except expansions yet my permanently free account has nearly everything the subscribers do, and the few things it doesn't have I can buy very cheap weekly passes for from other players for about the UO equivalent of 5m per week.

They have an amazing free to play model, but I really don't understand how they make money when it's possible to pretty much build a permanently free subscriber level account for the cost of a 3 month subscription. They've probably lost quite a lot of subscribers who realized that's possible like I did.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To be fair though I started playing SWTOR in beta and paid a subscription the entire time it was a subscription only game. As soon as it went free to play I dropped my subscription and just spent like $50 buying all the individual account upgrades the subscription had given me before. I haven't paid SWTOR a single cent in years since then except expansions yet my permanently free account has nearly everything the subscribers do, and the few things it doesn't have I can buy very cheap weekly passes for from other players for about the UO equivalent of 5m per week.

They have an amazing free to play model, but I really don't understand how they make money when it's possible to pretty much build a permanently free subscriber level account for the cost of a 3 month subscription. They've probably lost quite a lot of subscribers who realized that's possible like I did.
I think this is the problem UO is grappling with, half of their entire playing base opting down for EJ and ceasing subscriptions.
And it is what half of the player-base is angling for, with their threads re bank storage, trying to get the game free for themselves.

UO are trying to modernise their Income stream, but their systems are all geared towards the subscription model.
They are in a transition phase, and whether they can pull it off or not I don't know.

I realised early on, I couldn't get a free game out of EJ, or even get my boys to join me in a starter sense living in my castle (which would have been nice), it is just too impractical.
This is why EJ has absolutely no impact on me.

The only way UO can make this work, is if they have a raise in UO Store product sales, that would balance off the subscriptions they could lose if they gave EJ free storage.
To do that, they need a few more meaty UO Store products, that are useful, but do not affect the game for the main playerbase.
Things like Forged Tool of Artifacts, Soulstones, and Pet related products, Name changes etc.

InfinitePudding

Adventurer
I actually think people are over reacting about not having storage. If you don't have a house, what loot do you really need to save? An average player will eventually save up enough gold to buy the gear they want and insure it. Once you have that done all you need to keep is gold, for future upgrades. The play-style between EJ and Sub players will be different for sure. EJ players probably won't be making and finding their own gear. They'll be saving their gold and having other players make it for them or buy it from vendors. This to me seems perfectly reasonable. I plan on playing my old accounts this way, supplementing them here and there with my current subbed account.

As far as I know they are adding some kind of storage eventually, at least that was my understanding. But I think people need to think of EJ accounts as free adventuring accounts rather than full accounts. You can still do a ton of stuff on them and have a ton of fun.

whitesmith

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you have at least one active account, makes life much easier.
I always had one. If I didn't, it would have been really really really annoying. House to train in, paid account toon to help swap soulstones...
Running to the inn everytime to swap skill or city to do a vendor search is really annoying...

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
in their quiver? Quivers are insurable after all.
You can play an archer with 500 arrows? Pain the the arse! backup stock would have to be somwhere, but in a few weeks it won't matter, the EJ rush will be over, most everyone who came back will have looked, laughed, and left again. Meanwhile we lost a year of bug fixes, etc, that could have been done while they worked on what a lot of us figured was gonna be a fail.

Thoronnar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
If you have at least one active account, makes life much easier.
I always had one. If I didn't, it would have been really really really annoying. House to train in, paid account toon to help swap soulstones...
Running to the inn everytime to swap skill or city to do a vendor search is really annoying...
That's why it is free.....

Thoronnar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
You can play an archer with 500 arrows? Pain the the arse! backup stock would have to be somwhere, but in a few weeks it won't matter, the EJ rush will be over, most everyone who came back will have looked, laughed, and left again. Meanwhile we lost a year of bug fixes, etc, that could have been done while they worked on what a lot of us figured was gonna be a fail.
hm.

I've been building an archer on Siege lately. You can't buy arrows on siege, so I carry with me an axe, knife and fletcher tools everywhere. Getting wood is quick and trains up strength, every bird gives you 25 feathers, chickens 50 and turkeys 75. There are birds and trees everywhere. All I do is kill every bird I see, I always have about 500 feathers with me. If I run out of arrows, get some wood, make arrows. It is fun actually, and not really that hard. I've been running through ilshenar killing things that dont shoot at me or dont cast magic. I got to 70 archery already (on Siege), got already a decent armor for a noob and a bow. I havent had to use the bank yet, I am just running around building my char and having fun. With my full account of Atlantic, capped toons, I forgot how fun this game was. I got a heart of lion yesterday and was so happy! lol.... Then I got killed by a PK and lost it :sad2:

If I was doing the same thing I am doing in Siege with a free account I would be able to insure my gear, level up faster, etc... I would totally pay for the game.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I actually think people are over reacting about not having storage. If you don't have a house, what loot do you really need to save?
If you don’t have a house you don’t need to save loot is what you’re saying. So by that logic, if you do have a house you have ample storage space for loot. In which case you’re saying whether you have a house or not, additional storage is not required.

So all bank box storage should just be removed from the game then?

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hm.

I've been building an archer on Siege lately. You can't buy arrows on siege,
I always had arrows up for sale on siege. I’ve got a deed full of them stored away in a bank box I can’t open, so unfortunately can’t help.

Thoronnar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I always had arrows up for sale on siege. I’ve got a deed full of them stored away in a bank box I can’t open, so unfortunately can’t help.
Thanks. I appreciate you offering help. Siege is a pretty harsh shard. Honestly making arrows in the go is easier than one would think.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
There's really nothing "wrong" with not having storage.

Will it entice as many players to go back to UO and stay? No. They'd been better off not wasting workinghours and implementing an RTB for a month.

Personally , I have no interest in even downloading uo again unless I have access to the items I left in the bank.

Even the limited set of just pvping makes it nearly impossible without a bank which is the only interest I had in EJ.

Thoronnar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
There's really nothing "wrong" with not having storage.

Will it entice as many players to go back to UO and stay? No. They'd been better off not wasting workinghours and implementing an RTB for a month.

Personally , I have no interest in even downloading uo again unless I have access to the items I left in the bank.

Even the limited set of just pvping makes it nearly impossible without a bank which is the only interest I had in EJ.
This is a good point. Nearly impossible? no....
Impossible.

But. They will be offering storage for a small fee (or at least that's what they've been saying). You could and PvP for a small fee. If you had access to your bank, you would come, PvP for free, and that's it that's the game for you.

So in that case, how does broadsword and the players that pay to play benefit? What do you offer UO by playing for free forever?

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
This is a good point. Nearly impossible? no....
Impossible.

But. They will be offering storage for a small fee (or at least that's what they've been saying). You could and PvP for a small fee. If you had access to your bank, you would come, PvP for free, and that's it that's the game for you.

So in that case, how does broadsword and the players that pay to play benefit? What do you offer UO by playing for free forever?
F2p models either gain revenue thorough an excess subscription model or through micro transactions through their store.

Their better bet would have been to entice more players with a more feasible limited f2p model and see which route they take.

I regularly spend money on the f2p game I play now which exceeds any subscriptions I've paid in the last few years.

If they choose not to capitalize on that then that's no problem for me, it's just not worth it at the moment.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What do you offer UO by playing for free forever?
Since there is no housing or anything to deco with., and no bank of any kind, cant store anything, the best we can offer UO as a free player is microtransaction profits, if they put something useful and lightweight in the store that we CAN use lol. Plus the free player also adds to the population and participation in hunts, guild, etc etc.

Could be a lot better if it wasn't so crazily restricted, but whatever

Thoronnar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Since there is no housing or anything to deco with., and no bank of any kind, cant store anything, the best we can offer UO as a free player is microtransaction profits, if they put something useful and lightweight in the store that we CAN use lol. Plus the free player also adds to the population and participation in hunts, guild, etc etc.

Could be a lot better if it wasn't so crazily restricted, but whatever
I actually agree.

whitesmith

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Funny, they planned it kinda well to make people spend money.
To use the new masteries you need the latest expansion. That's $20.
No longer offer the advanced character token, so if you want a shortcut, then you buy the mythic, 2500 sovereigns, if you get that, you might end up buying soulstones, cause I'm sure you don't wanna waste 90 points on meditation...
And they've yet to add new vanity items in the store...

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
the EJ/free accounts are for people to get a taste of the game, not have all the benefits paying players get. too many players would close accounts and just have free to play if made with too many benefits. about the archer, any new player will probably run out of arrows and gold because of their cost. it almost like someone goes around buys all the arrows up until their buy price limit is reached lol. in the past, this was one of the main complaints ive heard from new players that started with an archer. none of those new players lasted very long.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
the EJ/free accounts are for people to get a taste of the game, not have all the benefits paying players get. too many players would close accounts and just have free to play if made with too many benefits. about the archer, any new player will probably run out of arrows and gold because of their cost. it almost like someone goes around buys all the arrows up until their buy price limit is reached lol. in the past, this was one of the main complaints ive heard from new players that started with an archer. none of those new players lasted very long.
I wouldn't misconstrue the request of a bank box as wanting full access.

Even at 150 items the time it takes to fill is very small. This doesn't account for vets who return that already have a full bank box.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That little gypsy girl at the camp by Humility resets her prices from time to time. Just gotta catch her in the mood ;)

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
That little gypsy girl at the camp by Humility resets her prices from time to time. Just gotta catch her in the mood ;)
I recall farming the ratman archers for arrows. Was free and seemed to be more productive than fletching.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've always carried 3 quivers of arrows. One on my back 2 in my pack.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What do you offer UO by playing for free forever?
Nothing. And this is the whole point ... the pseudo-F2P solution they have provided doesnt cut it. What this game needed was a F2P solutions that allowed folk to play for no subscription charge, but allowed for a whole host of microtransactions that people would be happy to pay at any given time. EJ isnt playable for any length of time due to restrictions, and the only way around that is to subscribe. The vast majority wont. Plain and simple they just got it all wrong. No surprise there.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you don’t have a house you don’t need to save loot is what you’re saying. So by that logic, if you do have a house you have ample storage space for loot. In which case you’re saying whether you have a house or not, additional storage is not required.

So all bank box storage should just be removed from the game then?
Don't forget that there are players that say you don't need any storage at all so maybe we should do away with houses, back packs and even boats.

Thoronnar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I recall farming the ratman archers for arrows. Was free and seemed to be more productive than fletching.
Yes. But you gotta be good enough to kill them. And in Siege I am not there yet... stats go up really slow, and my suit is terrible lol... fletching is really not that bad, by the moongate in trinsic there are a bunch of turkeys, each dies with 1 arrow and gives you 75 feathers. That's 75 arrows. Wood is also easy to get.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Where are they going to keep there arrows?
I created an EJ account to see what the restrictions would be like. I started an archer template on Siege and as others mentioned, I just created arrows on the go while training. When my patience wore thin, I just setup a box in a house on one of my other accounts and dumped a few thousand arrows in it. Its a pain, but when I need to restock my EJ toon's quiver, I have to unlock the box then jump on my other account to get them, then secure the box again.

Its a pain, but it is a work around until EJ toons get some storage options.

Now, if I were a brand new EJ player without resources from other accounts.. I don't think I'd have lasted a day without storage.