• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EJ is desperate?

Julias Edo

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
im JP shard.

do you get UO endless journal advertisements in USA, EU, Asia and other areas?
or did you see EJ's advertisement in life?

perhaps the answer is no.

i feel that it is impossible to attract customers.

i do not feel any increase in the population as when I made a new shard.

Is not it an ad
vertisement with maniac medium, is there any advertisement that is visible to the public?

many players are hoping that population will increase in this EJ
Is not it hopeless if attracting customers do not do a big deal?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There have been quite a few returners on LS. Most go to Yew gate and yell out that the shard is dead.

PvP does not happen often at Yew Gate on LS...

Also you will find few players at your old hangouts. We play in different areas now.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The few people I talked to who had logged in weren't gonna stay, nor were they gonna spend any money at the store. No bankbox, and not being able to be friended anywhere were major major turnoffs.

I have one account that finally got cleared to login, I logged in, and could tell what they meant. Its nuts, totally. If BS woulda given them normal banks and allowed friended housing, it might work for most people-and then they would be buying goods from the store.

a year's worth of programming, that is wasted and going to fail by it's own design. as always, so much potential, wasted.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The few people I talked to who had logged in weren't gonna stay, nor were they gonna spend any money at the store. No bankbox, and not being able to be friended anywhere were major major turnoffs.

I have one account that finally got cleared to login, I logged in, and could tell what they meant. Its nuts, totally. If BS woulda given them normal banks and allowed friended housing, it might work for most people-and then they would be buying goods from the store.

a year's worth of programming, that is wasted and going to fail by it's own design. as always, so much potential, wasted.
And if you are on a blue beetle and get off you can't get back on to log out. What were these people thinking.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sure does sound like they have wasted a year...u cant play without any sort of storage end of....and bank storage should have been the absoloute minumn

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
im JP shard.

Is not it an ad
vertisement with maniac medium, is there any advertisement that is visible to the public?

Use word of mouth to help UO. Let all your friends, gaming buddies, and former players know. Best advertising ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rieley

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And if you are on a blue beetle and get off you can't get back on to log out. What were these people thinking.
I have a question about not being able to get back on to the beetle to log out. Two of my old accounts I was able to get into, but I can't tell what is on those accounts, I actually am looking for one that is holding a lot of stuff. Does anyone know if they were sitting on a beetle for storage, would it show on EJ? Dumb me lost my notebook and not sure which accounts were holding items. Also, if there is anyway to tell which accounts were holding vet reward picks. There are still a couple of old accounts I haven't been able to log on yet, so maybe then I'll be able to tell which is which.

I've been gone for over a year and resub'd one account, just not sure which other account to sub also. A return to brit would be fantastic one more time.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a question about not being able to get back on to the beetle to log out. Two of my old accounts I was able to get into, but I can't tell what is on those accounts, I actually am looking for one that is holding a lot of stuff. Does anyone know if they were sitting on a beetle for storage, would it show on EJ? Dumb me lost my notebook and not sure which accounts were holding items. Also, if there is anyway to tell which accounts were holding vet reward picks. There are still a couple of old accounts I haven't been able to log on yet, so maybe then I'll be able to tell which is which.

I've been gone for over a year and resub'd one account, just not sure which other account to sub also. A return to brit would be fantastic one more time.
One of the best things about EJ was them being able to look in their bank and see which account they wanted to re sub. But they :pancakes: that.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I don't know if there is a way to make a trial access in UO without it being a source of abuse. But EJ was not it. I knew it the moment I saw what they were planning to do. I suspect most other players felt the same way. All the limitations they put on EJ make it a very unattractive experience. And in the end, despite the limitations, I am sure some people will find ways to abuse it.
I just feel bad that it's clear the BS team is trying hard to achieve something with a shoestring budget. But time and time again they sink a lot of resources into something that most active players could tell them would not work. I know they listen to at least some players. Maybe it's time to change who they listen to? This game cannot take a lot more misses.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I still think they should have made a limited new shard for EJ let them place 7x7's and that's it let them experience more of the game but in their own unpaid environment without EM's and without the rest of us vets and such and if they want to then sub and pay then they could transfer to a normal paid shard.

Fizzleton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings,

in my opinion EJ is a major marketing failure.

What was the purpose of EJ? We know that UO gets major income of inactive players who still stick to their uo history and keep at least one or even several accounts up while not playing (they own great houses and tons of stuff they dont want to loose). These players also have terminated accounts. Also, there a tons of former players who might think about playing again for some time with old (closed) accounts. They had a really good time in uo and might return for some playing just for fun, not in that way of becoming addicted again, but like happy old folks enjoying good old times. Furthermore, we know that on most shards player densitiy is so low that a lot of ingame activities simply cant be done (eg pvp). So we need more active players. Additionally, we know that uo will have hard times to encourage young people to play this "old style" game, they need to be adressed in different ways and playstyles, so uo will not be successfull in getting new (young) players. Instead, it would be crucial to give the "old folks" (I am 53, for instance) a reason to enjoy "old times" and to log into a game that gave them tons of fun and for this reason still would be something to consider to play a bit here and then.

But what is crucial to play in uo? First, u need templates that are good for something, 7x100 or better will do to have some fun. U can buy up to date weapons and armor cheaply, so this is no problem. But u definitely need 2 things to start: a bank box, and at least the smallest home that is possible (you remember the old style 7x7 u were so prould to place in former times?). No-one will transform any good closed veteran account with stuff in bank boxes to EJ accounts, never. I have 2 old ones, I am not going to transform anything into EJ and loose all the memorys stored with them.

So if the focus of EJ are the old players that should get a reason to log in again, imho EJ fails to do the job. With banking and very limited housing, or at least the possibility to become friended to an existing house of a payed account, the job could have been successfull. Sadly, they had not enough courage to do that.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The problem with the secure storage is, beware of the ressource scripters. But they will find another way.
SAD!

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Today I got a notification from Google on my phone telling me about the UO Endless Journey.
Mass mailing to their existing email list, it's free. It might get a few to return but it's not going to reach new players.

Word of mouth will, existing players need to spread the word as they did in 98.

side note: google eeewww.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But time and time again they sink a lot of resources into something that most active players could tell them would not work. I know they listen to at least some players. Maybe it's time to change who they listen to? This game cannot take a lot more misses.
This. So many people said we had to have storage. But then, there were the insiders who railed against it, worrying about scripters, etc etc. So once again the game takes a hit on the good guys for fear of a scripter.

Yes, they need to break away from "the chosen ones" and listen to the everyday people who actually just play to have fun and not be billionaires. Imagine if all this time that's been pissed down the drain had been spent fixing bugs, wow!

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The character will show but once you unmount you are screwed.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't think the marketing is a problem. I think it's that the current players see UO as something it isn't. UO is a legacy nostalgia itch. Advertising this game is just going to make it look stupid. You probably have alerts set up in Google for Ultima Online if you got an alert.

If you want to see a real failure in advertising look at Shroud of the Avatar.

Word of mouth is the best this game is going to do.

Don't forget that this wasn't something they did just for UO. It was probably a year goal of some kind handed down. They did the same for the other game they are over.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EJ = Endless Joke did the EJ thing with one of my old storage accts that has not been active in years. Sorry but EJ is not going to bring anyone back for more than a few hours to a couple of days. The only WOM I can see spreading from EJ is what a steaming pile of fecal matter it is :)

Mass mailing to their existing email list, it's free. It might get a few to return but it's not going to reach new players.

Word of mouth will, existing players need to spread the word as they did in 98.

side note: google eeewww.
Old players now have tons of other friends from other mmorpgs, word of mouth could certainly take care of it. People are also dying to play sandbox mmorpgs and many mmorpgs lament the state of the market.

Of course one may have misgivings with how UO is handled, but technically speaking, UO has a real opportunity there. Indies and mobile games, plus Nintendo, have also shown people will go for all sorts of graphics. In fact, I think an upgraded 2D client would be a strongly differentiating factor over a shabby 3d game. If animations (more frames) and sprites would be upgraded.. it could be a really cool distinguishing feature. I don't want to make this another 2d versus 3d thing again... just look at the rune atlas art.. more of that stuff... would be perfect.

DM Wyvern

Visitor
im JP shard.

Is not it an ad

I'm a new player to Ultima Online but playing on Formosa I am already seeing an influx of EJ players. This can only be a good thing for UO, ad push or not. ^_^

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I played UO for a long time, since January 2000. But even I was jarred by how harsh it all looks after logging in after a few years. It looks, sounds and feels horrible. New players? No chance. It’s very unattractive even to ex players who were braced for it. I thought it hadn’t aged well but it is a candidate for euthanasia to be honest.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I played UO for a long time, since January 2000. But even I was jarred by how harsh it all looks after logging in after a few years. It looks, sounds and feels horrible. New players? No chance. It’s very unattractive even to ex players who were braced for it. I thought it hadn’t aged well but it is a candidate for euthanasia to be honest.
They pretty much had one shot to get EJ right and they blew it. The way I see it EJ was one last desperate attempt to get numbers up and keep it alive. When they could condense the servers down to five shards and still not have healthy populations on all 5 shards......... Yeah UO is getting real close to END GAME. EJ just plain sucks and word of mouth is already spreading about that fact. LOL EJ is not going to get people to sub, when the introduction F2P is this bad. I am they can parade a few folks that just love EJ around but from what I saw and am hearing...... those would be the exceptions and not the rule.

morPR

PRmeister
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At first they promised limited bank boxes. I guess you could argue that they tested that by having the storage drop down to 20 percent (for example) and had 80 percent not be visible. When they went on to put the tested account back to 100 percent, the majority items may have disappeared.

Or, maybe, how do you expect an AI to determine which items should be hidden while the others are to be visible? I can't imagine how cluttered some of those bank boxes can be knowing that no one else can see inside?

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Calling it a failure this early is way too soon, like I'm already seeing an increase on Stratics and in game. Personally I think they should add a limited bank box of 25 items with a set weight limit and allow returning vets access their bank box with that same limitation... so if your bank is full and you take something out it can't be put back until the limit is met. The only DESPERATION I'm seeing regarding EJ is players trying to get almost full access for free, which is far from what this is... the limitations are their to avoid abuse and loss of revenue by dropped subs, not to make UO fully F2P and have it close down in a few months

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Calling it a failure this early is way too soon, like I'm already seeing an increase on Stratics and in game. Personally I think they should add a limited bank box of 25 items with a set weight limit and allow returning vets access their bank box with that same limitation... so if your bank is full and you take something out it can't be put back until the limit is met. The only DESPERATION I'm seeing regarding EJ is players trying to get almost full access for free, which is far from what this is... the limitations are their to avoid abuse and loss of revenue by dropped subs, not to make UO fully F2P and have it close down in a few months
Launching without storage was a failure, plain and simple. It may not render the whole venture a failure, but it was undoubtedly bone headed, and will turn off anyone who gives it a try in its current state.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It should work Mike putting something in TC into Bank. You habe allways Mord than x items there in your BBox. Until you reach your level, lets say vet ACC 175 vor ej ACC 25, you only can grab things out off the Bank.
Ej cannot create New commodity deeds and only can farm normal ignots. Thats enough.

Finley Grant

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It should work Mike putting something in TC into Bank. You habe allways Mord than x items there in your BBox. Until you reach your level, lets say vet ACC 175 vor ej ACC 25, you only can grab things out off the Bank.
Ej cannot create New commodity deeds and only can farm normal ignots. Thats enough.
Damn German spellcheck.... :D

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But then, there were the insiders who railed against it, worrying about scripters, etc etc. So once again the game takes a hit on the good guys for fear of a scripter.
It feels like they are even patting their backs over this nonsense on the official forums.

"Mesanna, and the others, put in a lot of effort to not make EJ a scripter's dream. Is that why so many are disappointed with it?".

Like are they really caught in that bubble? Being happy they ruined that one scripter's day and not thinking of the 20 legit players they also put off with this?

They also "put in a lot of effort to not make it a gamer's dream" :rolleyes:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of the biggest ongoing problems with UO is every restriction or ingame mechanic they put in to derail scripting simply harms the legit players by making the content such a PITA or Grind that the only reasonable way to participate is by scripting. Far to many years of trying to treat the symptoms rather than going after the disease.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It feels like they are even patting their backs over this nonsense on the official forums.

"Mesanna, and the others, put in a lot of effort to not make EJ a scripter's dream. Is that why so many are disappointed with it?".

Like are they really caught in that bubble? Being happy they ruined that one scripter's day and not thinking of the 20 legit players they also put off with this?

They also "put in a lot of effort to not make it a gamer's dream" :rolleyes:
LMAO you take one quote out of the forum and come up with this BS. There are a lot of people on the official forum telling UO that they blew it and went way overboard with this ****. Funny that they appear to be more heated over there then they are hear about this matter and so far no one has been booted for it. But you keep trying to spread your BS while others know the real truth.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LMAO you take one quote out of the forum and come up with this BS. There are a lot of people on the official forum telling UO that they blew it and went way overboard with this ****. Funny that they appear to be more heated over there then they are hear about this matter and so far no one has been booted for it. But you keep trying to spread your BS while others know the real truth.
I have been pretty amazed that they have been letting so many critical post and comments stand.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One of the biggest ongoing problems with UO is every restriction or ingame mechanic they put in to derail scripting simply harms the legit players by making the content such a PITA or Grind that the only reasonable way to participate is by scripting. Far to many years of trying to treat the symptoms rather than going after the disease.

QFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
... <snip> ...Like are they really caught in that bubble? Being happy they ruined that one scripter's day and not thinking of the 20 legit players they also put off with this? ... <end snip>...
Why does this seem to be a surprise to you, me and others who have been around that block so many times?