• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Endless Journey Marketing/Awareness

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There have been multiple great ideas for gold sinks in the past that have gone unnoticed. They do not need to wipe out all the gold. They just need to make the rich spend on things in which the gold does not end up back in the economy. It is a very simple economic policy that they dont seem to understand.
I would love some good gold sinks and yes there have been some good ones and some bad ones. But the prices are already up there and have been for so long that even a great gold sink could not fix it now.

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I would love some good gold sinks and yes there have been some good ones and some bad ones. But the prices are already up there and have been for so long that even a great gold sink could not fix it now.
Why do you think reducing inflation via new gold sinks wouldn’t at least help fix a deeply saturated economy?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why do you think reducing inflation via new gold sinks wouldn’t at least help fix a deeply saturated economy?
You know, as crazy as it may sound, not all vets are sitting on plats and plats of money. Seriously. Gold sinks? nah. Stop the dupes, and maybe lower incoming gold by 10% straight across the board...

higher prices just for the sake of gold sinks will kill some of us.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Trillions of gold was wiped from some known cheaters and their houses were set on fire and it was a drop in a very large bucket. Higher prices are already here and those will never change because there is an almost endless supply of gold in UO and the spigot is still on so more is coming in. If and it is it a big if all the duped gold had been wiped and good gold sinks were in place back then it might of helped a little.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I doubt that's how a big company like EA works. Not everyone is as unprofessional as Bonnie..

I think its more likely they shot her down the minute they heard of it but she had already jumped the gun with letting it go through greenlight.
Really cause I could almost see them doing it just to get her off their case...

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Might have been a uncertain time.

I feel EA somewhere around 2013 decided to no longer publish on Steam and publish on their own platform (without having to pay steep fees to Steam). In a big company this can easily be a process running for half a year until a final decision is made.

The last game published by EA on Steam was Sims 3 in October 2013: Steam Search

Bonnie called for greenlight support in April 2014: Greenlight UO on Steam – Ultima Online

She might have just ended up in some direction change at EA..

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There have been multiple great ideas for gold sinks in the past that have gone unnoticed. They do not need to wipe out all the gold. They just need to make the rich spend on things in which the gold does not end up back in the economy. It is a very simple economic policy that they dont seem to understand.
We do need more gold sinks

How about a tax as well (we all love to pay taxes right ? )

Change vendors to a flat rate tax instead

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One issue that isn’t mentioned too often is the crazy state of UO’s economy. Way too much gold - prices for stuff is insane. For a new EJ player this alone might be discouraging enough to make ya quit. Stuff like this really needs a solution and Mesanna doesn’t really seem to see that.
Just move the decimal up 5 or 6 places if the visuals are the issue. That's as "fixed" as inflation can get in tram.

Of course I don't really think high prices will turn off anyone who has ever played any online game before.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What's there to "fix"? It's all completely relative. The only real "fix" for inflation is to do a regular (every few years) 10 to 1 currency exchange.

If you view certain items being in too high of demand (ie it costs too much relative to other items) as a mark of a bad economy, you should be asking for increased drop rates, not pointless gold sinks.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We do need more gold sinks

How about a tax as well (we all love to pay taxes right ? )

Change vendors to a flat rate tax instead
1) No we don't. Gold sinks don't do anything other than establish artificial markers for the value of currency.
2) **** no. That is pointless anti-fun.
3) Or just remove vendor fees, because they are dumb anyway.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can see a billion dollar company diverting from a clearly established corporate agenda to cease the complaints (in the form of what? Terse emails?) of the head of what is probably their lowest value asset?

Somehow... I can't see that happening. :p

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know, as crazy as it may sound, not all vets are sitting on plats and plats of money. Seriously. Gold sinks? nah. Stop the dupes, and maybe lower incoming gold by 10% straight across the board...

higher prices just for the sake of gold sinks will kill some of us.
Dupes would lower prices if anything, even if the market is corned by duping. The more items moving, the less the demand, the lower the price. If you wanna naturally lower prices, decrease scarcity via regular gameplay. In other words decrease the difficulty in attaining valuable items. Of course I don't think people really want that...

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the problem is that people seem to view a "healthy economy" as one where you can conceivably buy high end items with gold obtained by killing monsters or something equally uncomplicated. That's a very narrow view of things. There will always be inflation, every single gold piece created in the game increase inflation, and no matter the level of inflation (high or low) so long as there are item in high demand with low supply (which is all but a complete certainty) there will be some items that require a large investment of time to collect the capital required to buy that item on the market.

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The cost of high end items continuously seems to climb, while the gold payout of 95% of the games content remains static. It feels as though there is very little reason to do any content in the game because the reward is so incredibly insignificant.

Maybe I have this all wrong but I believe our bloated economy leaves a signicant portion of the game to rot.

A new player who may want to hunt his way up can get there, but not through a once rewarding and enjoyable means.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doing a soft-launch is definitely advised. It should be tested in the wild before any marketing blitz is launched.
Soft launches rarely lead to hype hard-ons is all. Nobody notices a game/feature that just sneaks in without fanfare.

Additionally, it is extremely disappointing they chose to avoid calling Endless Journey a F2P - mode. As a result, nobody knows wth it is supposed to be.When it comes to the target audience that is.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Been outta the loop for a bit so please forgive if I’m missing something obvious, but I now see that Endless Journey release is imminent. Is this being marketed somehow and/or are people outside of these threads or those who have once played UO but no longer seem aware of that we are almost f2p?

Curious because after only a few quick searches i do not see much about this and you would think...

We are the market you are aware of that right ?

:danceb:

The soft launch itself doesn't generate hype. Hard launch should take care od that.

I agree though that Ultima Online should scream f2p off the rooftops.

I am thinking about creating a promo site. Kind of a one page of features scroll. A trailer with Battle of Stones playing. For fun.

whitesmith

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
All shards are how old now?
Start a new shard for each region, with nothing going in or out.
Put checks in please, i.e. amount of gold skyrocketing, any items fishily increasing numbers, characters performing certain tasks 23/7. Etc.
What's the point of having games if you can't restart.
I'm sure many would move...

Funny thing, I see paid sponsored ads for free shards all the time on facebook, etc.... never seen anything for EJ. I don't even play anymore. I only know about because I check in from time to time to watch the **** show