• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Endless Journey Marketing/Awareness

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Been outta the loop for a bit so please forgive if I’m missing something obvious, but I now see that Endless Journey release is imminent. Is this being marketed somehow and/or are people outside of these threads or those who have once played UO but no longer seem aware of that we are almost f2p?

Curious because after only a few quick searches i do not see much about this and you would think...

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Been outta the loop for a bit so please forgive if I’m missing something obvious, but I now see that ToL release is imminent. Is this being marketed somehow and/or are people outside of these threads or those who have once played UO but no longer seem aware of that we are almost f2p?

Curious because after only a few quick searches i do not see much about this and you would think...
Ya your time travel has brought you to the future. ToL has been out for a long time.

Endless Journey is about to be published !

I guess that answers the question about how were made aware. NONE.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Broadsword has absolutely zero marketing clues.

If you go to uo.com, you'd probably think EJ was an expansion, a booster...or a quest. There is absolutely nothing to hype the move to pseudo-F2P on the front page but a bland link with a useless tag line. Their Facebook post is only slightly better, but it still sucketh. The newsletters are just preaching to the choir.

There are no ads. There is no industry awareness. There is no hype or buzz outside the already existing community, and what buzz there is isn't especially good (since its another rushed, unfinished-at-launch cluster of questionable decision making). Supposedly they will send out an email blast to every subscriber email addy that's ever been registered when EJ goes live...

Maybe they should advertise EJ in October, after they've fixed the bugs, added in the missing-at-launch content and had several months of subscriber QA (anyone wanting to convert a paid account to EJ will have to wait until August!)

morPR

PRmeister
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know. Just that is what people do these days... Advertisements for niche games is prolly passe.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Been outta the loop for a bit so please forgive if I’m missing something obvious, but I now see that Endless Journey release is imminent. Is this being marketed somehow and/or are people outside of these threads or those who have once played UO but no longer seem aware of that we are almost f2p?

We're supposed to go out and tell people about EJ, to bring them in, or did you not get the memo for the last 20 yrs on UO advertisement procedure ?

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I will ASS/U/ME that they will be sending emails to all qualified former players... of course you'd assume that they would have started this 6 months ago..and they we might see said Vets posting here asking questions ETC...

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Not only don't they get storage to buy all the EM items floating around they are capped at 75m gold apparently so if you price at 100m, they can't buy it. Weeee

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they can put EJ on steam, this project will be totally different. Unfortuantely, I have not seen any strategic plans on moving toward this direction.

Rimeny

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they can put EJ on steam, this project will be totally different. Unfortuantely, I have not seen any strategic plans on moving toward this direction.
Steam was talked about 3-4yrs ago if I recall correctly - it went greenlight. Then. Nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Steam was talked about 3-4yrs ago if I recall correctly - it went greenlight. Then. Nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EA shot the idea down. Nobody knows if Bonnie even talked to EA before putting it on Steam or if EA just changed their mind in the middle of the process. But at the end it was again her announcing something they later failed to deliver.

I personally wish they had someone with a fresh mind work on FTP. Bonnie looks straight burnt out to me. Little ideas for UO, blatant unprofessional at M&Gs (compared to Kyronix), lots of words without actions, ...

But she knows nobody is going to knock her of that position, so why should she care to make EJ/FTP a success..

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They probably just don't have the budget for it. Speaking of Advertising, if not for Youtube, I'd have no idea Sota was released. Bad timing for EJ.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Broadsword has absolutely zero marketing clues.

If you go to uo.com, you'd probably think EJ was an expansion, a booster...or a quest. There is absolutely nothing to hype the move to pseudo-F2P on the front page but a bland link with a useless tag line. Their Facebook post is only slightly better, but it still sucketh. The newsletters are just preaching to the choir.

There are no ads. There is no industry awareness. There is no hype or buzz outside the already existing community, and what buzz there is isn't especially good (since its another rushed, unfinished-at-launch cluster of questionable decision making). Supposedly they will send out an email blast to every subscriber email addy that's ever been registered when EJ goes live...

Maybe they should advertise EJ in October, after they've fixed the bugs, added in the missing-at-launch content and had several months of subscriber QA (anyone wanting to convert a paid account to EJ will have to wait until August!)
hehe the problem is they ridiculously refuse to call it free to play, so... they can't advertist it. Because like you say, wtf is "endless journey" to someone not in the know. There needs to be some marketing, an that marketing neeeeeeds to say "free to play" in it, or it's probably all pointless.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They probably just don't have the budget for it. Speaking of Advertising, if not for Youtube, I'd have no idea Sota was released. Bad timing for EJ.
Don't really need much. Tweet, Reddit, Facebook... "Hey everyone, UO now has a free to play account option called "Endless Journey"! Come enjoy Britania with no subscription cost! #EndlessJourney #F2PUO." Make a more detailed reddit post, with pics, details, history, etc and post it on all the appropriate subs.

That's free, and it's the very very least they could do, but they have to just deal with calling it "Free" which they seem reluctant to do.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just posted this on the "official" forum. Let's see how long it stays up. While it violates ZERO rules om the forum (as far as I can tell), I am going to bet it gets deleted anyway. Simply because it is not all about RAH RAH RAH, GO TEAM MESANNA!!!

In my opinion, This is a lot of time and effort spent over nothing. Because let's be honest. Does ANYONE really believe that EJ is really going to bring in NEW players? Not me. I believe what we end up with is very few truly new players and a bit more "returnee's". Who will stick around for maybe a month. I suspect the majority of the EJ players will be people who CLOSE PAYING ACCOUNTS! How will that help EA/BS/UO's bottom line? Not to mention the players who will just leave when they see the abuse/scripting/multiboxxing/etc... from the EJ accounts. (I hope I am wrong here but I'm not holding my breath).

I love this game, with all of it's faults, and I sure hope I am wrong here. But, I have a REALLY bad feeling that EJ is a "last ditch" effort to keep the game going, and when it fails, it could be the end of UO.

The only saving grace would be that I can take solace in the fact that the RMT people (of which there are more than people think, and some SURPRISING well known names) will be out of a job!

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Keith, you clearly need to watch some videos on Trolling and Flaming. It's a fairly easy concept for some people to understand, but it's easy to get in a mindset where you think you're being constructive and helpful, but you're really just being contraversial to trigger negative responses and aren't really pushing the topic further constructively.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Keith of Sonoma sir you have been here far to long and know exactly how things work around here, here is hoping that those that have been here just as long are all proven wrong on this.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fire Mesanna. Let bleak and kyronix take over. split her salary three ways. 2 for bleak and kyronix and 1 way for marketing director/advertisement.

Heck, there are so many free ways to advertise these days and they dont even do those.

I bet i could establish over 20k followers on each facebook, twitter, instagram, and snap chat in less than a month with out spending a dime. Just a little time and effort each day.

Nonetheless I hear there is a newsletter you can sign up for.... lol.

#stuckin98

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
EA has Origin (which no one has heard of) and they "compete" with Steam. In the way a rabbit competes with a panther. So no EA stuff on Steam that's not already there. Unless EA got desperate and smelled the coffee on a few titles.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Fire Mesanna. Let bleak and kyronix take over. split her salary three ways. 2 for bleak and kyronix and 1 way for marketing director/advertisement.

Heck, there are so many free ways to advertise these days and they dont even do those.

I bet i could establish over 20k followers on each facebook, twitter, instagram, and snap chat in less than a month with out spending a dime. Just a little time and effort each day.

#stuckin98
Isn't Misk her husband? Might make things awkward for him if they fired his wife :p

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just posted this on the "official" forum. Let's see how long it stays up. While it violates ZERO rules om the forum (as far as I can tell), I am going to bet it gets deleted anyway. Simply because it is not all about RAH RAH RAH, GO TEAM MESANNA!!!

In my opinion, This is a lot of time and effort spent over nothing. Because let's be honest. Does ANYONE really believe that EJ is really going to bring in NEW players? Not me. I believe what we end up with is very few truly new players and a bit more "returnee's". Who will stick around for maybe a month. I suspect the majority of the EJ players will be people who CLOSE PAYING ACCOUNTS! How will that help EA/BS/UO's bottom line? Not to mention the players who will just leave when they see the abuse/scripting/multiboxxing/etc... from the EJ accounts. (I hope I am wrong here but I'm not holding my breath).

I love this game, with all of it's faults, and I sure hope I am wrong here. But, I have a REALLY bad feeling that EJ is a "last ditch" effort to keep the game going, and when it fails, it could be the end of UO.

The only saving grace would be that I can take solace in the fact that the RMT people (of which there are more than people think, and some SURPRISING well known names) will be out of a job!
I don't see the post there.

Also if you look above Kyronix Like the post that said they should get the bugs out before the marketing campaign.
Maybe that is what is going to happen.

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
is endless journey out already since publish 99 is now on Baja, Izumo and Origin ? If so, how do i log in with my inactive account ?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
is endless journey out already since publish 99 is now on Baja, Izumo and Origin ? If so, how do i log in with my inactive account ?

Thats a good question. Does the account management page have options for making a EJ account?

Just checked. It does not.

Last edited:

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
EA shot the idea down. Nobody knows if Bonnie even talked to EA before putting it on Steam or if EA just changed their mind in the middle of the process. But at the end it was again her announcing something they later failed to deliver.

I personally wish they had someone with a fresh mind work on FTP. Bonnie looks straight burnt out to me. Little ideas for UO, blatant unprofessional at M&Gs (compared to Kyronix), lots of words without actions, ...

But she knows nobody is going to knock her of that position, so why should she care to make EJ/FTP a success..
Quit beating up on her pete.. She has lots on her plate..lots of gooses to fry..She is is not that bad..

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED

#stuckin98
You talk about firing mesana, the main dev for uo for years, as if she is responsible for ALL wrongs in uo the way we perceive them. How do you know that the incoming main dev will be any better if not worse?
If mesana pops in game to resolve an issue..we call it favoritism..
If she is bound by EA regulations and long term goals, and does not blurt out quick pleasing answers and short answers..she is unprofessional.
If she pops in game to make sure EM's are doing what they are supposed to do..she is too strict with EM's.
If she does not please one segment of the players, crafters etc, she is negligent.
Could the reality be that she is dealing with a very complex system with old code that is not easy to modify on the spot, dealing with thousands of people's needs, complaints, ideas, concerns etc, and an old game evolution, and not the least, contractual agreements with EA/BS?
Also offensive aggressive comments like "fire mesana" etc. are one of the reasons for the "uo message board", in addition for the need for company message center.
I think you need to have a heart a little bit, and continue to make constructive criticisms and comments, and stop advocating to nuke the main developer and team..?

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1.You talk about firing mesana, the main dev for uo for years, as if she is responsible for ALL wrongs in uo the way we perceive them. How do you know that the incoming main dev will be any better if not worse?

2.If mesana pops in game to resolve an issue..we call it favoritism..

3. If she is bound by EA regulations and long term goals, and does not blurt out quick pleasing answers and short answers..she is unprofessional.

4. If she pops in game to make sure EM's are doing what they are supposed to do..she is too strict with EM's.

5. If she does not please one segment of the players, crafters etc, she is negligent.

6. Could the reality be that she is dealing with a very complex system with old code that is not easy to modify on the spot, dealing with thousands of people's needs, complaints, ideas, concerns etc, and an old game evolution, and not the least, contractual agreements with EA/BS?

7. Also offensive aggressive comments like "fire mesana" etc. are one of the reasons for the "uo message board", in addition for the need for company message center.

8. I think you need to have a heart a little bit, and continue to make constructive criticisms and comments, and stop advocating to nuke the main developer and team..?
Took the liberty of labeling your arguments for clarity sake.

1. We dont know, hell for all I know the game shuts down when she steps down. You never know how something will work out until you try. I just know the past 4 years the decline in my personal friends list has been much more significant that the previous 4 years. I know she has never released anything that worked out of the box. I know she has made countless decisions proving her in adequacy. I think kyronix or bleak would have a much better shot at running than her.

2. Because she is the lead producer for the game. she should and does have people to resolve these issues. it just shows how bad she is at managing/delegating things.

3. When you ask the same question for over 3 years and you get the same response its not exactly progress. Case in point there was a date for the new account management site set. Yet nothing has happened. New players for EJ? lol not if they cant get through the convoluted system that has existed for way to long.

4. I happen to think she should monitor the EMs and any of her staff. that is exactly her job. I hope she does more of it.

5. Its a hard job, there are so many areas of the game to keep up with. Why a lot of vet players dont understand why she keeps releasing new things to keep up with instead of fixing the old ones first. She just keeps adding to her own plate.

6. I understand the magnitude of what she is dealing with. I respond that she isnt qualified to be dealing with it. Nor has she proven to be great at it. Barely afloat is by no means sailing the ocean.

7. This harsh reality is that most of us have tried to reason with her, show her why what she does is failing in a polite way. However over time, over constant fail over fail you lose faith in what she is doing. The constructive criticism goes away and you end up with posts like this. I too used to be in your shoes and didnt understand why so many were so harsh towards her. But like so many I have become bitter about her role in the game.

9. I have plenty of heart towards the players of this game. There are even certain staff members I think are great. I would never recommend the staff be fired for mesannas inadequacy. I believe they are really great, they just lack the proper direction.

To be fair. She has done some good. I really love the new gold system. Although i still dont understand why they cant add commas to both sides of the trade window. Its not perfect but it was a step in the right direction. I like the auction safes, though i dont like that certain people have exploited them and the exploit still hasnt been fixed. I think the roof was a great addition to the game as far as new content. Though im not a fan of the exploit that still hasnt been fixed there as well. I like that tamers finally got a new system for their pets. Though im not a fan of the exploit that hasnt been fixed there either. VvV was a great idea that never got anymore attention after the release.

As you can see I think she has some decent ideas, but she cant seem to release them very well. You would be hard pressed to find a single release of hers that went flawlessly. You would also be hard pressed to find a single release that actually got fixed. So many things she has released have gone to the back burner after their release so she can move on to new things. Ultimately she is the queen of piling up more issues for herself to never resolve.

I do think she has heart, she has passion for the game, I think she cares deeply for it. She is the "Rudy" of game producers.
rudy.jpg

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

EA probably let her do it thinking it would NEVER get the green light as they don't think much of UO.... and when it was to their amazement they probably then shot down the idea.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
3. When you ask the same question for over 3 years and you get the same response its not exactly progress. Case in point there was a date for the new account management site set. Yet nothing has happened. New players for EJ? lol not if they cant get through the convoluted system that has existed for way to long.
This x100

Can you imagine a player from 10+ years ago decides to come back then gives up due to the battle with the current account management. I think this will be a common sight after the release of endless journey.

EA support: Have you linked your account to your EA account?
Customer: What?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I just fear how many will come back to discover what others have in that their accounts have been hacked and stripped... and they just won't have the heart then to start over.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I just fear how many will come back to discover what others have in that their accounts have been hacked and stripped... and they just won't have the heart then to start over.
Why are just inactive accounts hacked and stripped? lol No one will ever convince me EA didn't delete a lot of peoples storage at one point somewhere before 2002. The game was a mess before that time and UO was in desperate need of server space with clean up campaigns and such.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Why are just inactive accounts hacked and stripped? lol No one will ever convince me EA didn't delete a lot of peoples storage at one point somewhere before 2002. The game was a mess before that time and UO was in desperate need of server space with clean up campaigns and such.
I don't know... I was playing since 2000 ... I'm not sure if they ever wiped accounts or not... some think it's true others don't and they deny that's ever happened.

But I do know that awhile back there were MANY phishing attempts made to gain access to accounts by calling EA and getting them to turn it over with the barest of minimum of information...

But it is something we all fear. If my account(s) were stripped... I couldn't come back. Not at all... not ever.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There were a lot of accounts that were sold and with the new system it made it easier to get those accounts back, just saying.

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Its nothing personal but it couldn’t be any more clear that we need a new producer with new ideas who will try and salvage this sinking ship.

Interesting points. Perhaps marketing EJ isn’t a good idea until all the kinks are taken care of... but frankly if they take dont clean up a significant number of lingering issues with UO - probably most prominently the account management system - then EJ might be the UO dagger.

One issue that isn’t mentioned too often is the crazy state of UO’s economy. Way too much gold - prices for stuff is insane. For a new EJ player this alone might be discouraging enough to make ya quit. Stuff like this really needs a solution and Mesanna doesn’t really seem to see that.

Im very curious how the team will handle those who exploit EJ w/ free accounts. If they dont have the resources to market a legendary game going free to play, then i just dont see how they can truly prevent scripters, cheaters, etc. This whole idea of posting the number of banned accounts daily monthly whatever sounds kind of silly and definitely raised my eyebrow when Mesanna said that.

Really poor leadership and I really cant take those who defend it seriously.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Its nothing personal but it couldn’t be any more clear that we need a new producer with new ideas who will try and salvage this sinking ship.

Interesting points. Perhaps marketing EJ isn’t a good idea until all the kinks are taken care of... but frankly if they take dont clean up a significant number of lingering issues with UO - probably most prominently the account management system - then EJ might be the UO dagger.

One issue that isn’t mentioned too often is the crazy state of UO’s economy. Way too much gold - prices for stuff is insane. For a new EJ player this alone might be discouraging enough to make ya quit. Stuff like this really needs a solution and Mesanna doesn’t really seem to see that.

Im very curious how the team will handle those who exploit EJ w/ free accounts. If they dont have the resources to market a legendary game going free to play, then i just dont see how they can truly prevent scripters, cheaters, etc. This whole idea of posting the number of banned accounts daily monthly whatever sounds kind of silly and definitely raised my eyebrow when Mesanna said that.

Really poor leadership and I really cant take those who defend it seriously.
We are a small minority of the player base and have zero idea how the rest of the player base thinks, just because you do not like Mesanna doesn't mean every body doesn't like Mesanna. Mesanna has to please everybody not just you.

Did you ever think that BS went to EA and said this is what we want to do and EA said ok here is your deadline, this has happened before, and they had no choice but to release it.

Way to much gold was duped and they did wipe some of it but with the number of DEVs they can only do so much. What do you want them to do wipe all gold, now that would make all the players real happy.

Welcome to the real world where you don't get everything your way, this ain't Burger King.

Guess what your whole post is nothing but personal because you think you know what everybody wants and the only person you can say that about is you.

Just another one of those UO is dying post, gee how many of those have we heard and yet 20 years later here we are still alive and kicking.

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Putting EJ on steam is a corporate level business decision, it is not likely BS could take the decisive role. I don’t think BS should be blamed on this task.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We are a small minority of the player base and have zero idea how the rest of the player base thinks, just because you do not like Mesanna doesn't mean every body doesn't like Mesanna. Mesanna has to please everybody not just you.

Did you ever think that BS went to EA and said this is what we want to do and EA said ok here is your deadline, this has happened before, and they had no choice but to release it.

Way to much gold was duped and they did wipe some of it but with the number of DEVs they can only do so much. What do you want them to do wipe all gold, now that would make all the players real happy.

Welcome to the real world where you don't get everything your way, this ain't Burger King.

Guess what your whole post is nothing but personal because you think you know what everybody wants and the only person you can say that about is you.

Just another one of those UO is dying post, gee how many of those have we heard and yet 20 years later here we are still alive and kicking.
There have been multiple great ideas for gold sinks in the past that have gone unnoticed. They do not need to wipe out all the gold. They just need to make the rich spend on things in which the gold does not end up back in the economy. It is a very simple economic policy that they dont seem to understand.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There have been multiple great ideas for gold sinks in the past that have gone unnoticed. They do not need to wipe out all the gold. They just need to make the rich spend on things in which the gold does not end up back in the economy. It is a very simple economic policy that they dont seem to understand.
The city titles are a good idea... they need more things like that. Stuff that doesn't affect gameplay but is more for vanity sake. They should make it so you can buy some of those things in the UO Store for gold...

Vanity pets is also a good idea for a gold sink. Pets that are not trainable but more for showing off. Like special colored pets, new ethy mounts, house pets... and the like. Maybe even some special costumes, clothes, etc that are vanity only.

They could also have new paintings, rugs, special tiles like that tree would be good... there are hundreds of possibilities of things they could add that wouldn't affect gameplay but would be a great gold sink.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
EA probably let her do it thinking it would NEVER get the green light as they don't think much of UO.... and when it was to their amazement they probably then shot down the idea.
I doubt that's how a big company like EA works. Not everyone is as unprofessional as Bonnie..

I think its more likely they shot her down the minute they heard of it but she had already jumped the gun with letting it go through greenlight.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This whole idea of posting the number of banned accounts daily monthly whatever sounds kind of silly and definitely raised my eyebrow when Mesanna said that
Unless there is a shard and char name attached with this, I will ignore it, and question it. Anyone can pass by and say "we banned 6 this week" but without anything backing that up it's just smoke and mirrors.