• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Shut up and take our money

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Broadsword used to sell character transfer tokens on the uostore, maybe they still do, but people do it for free with shard trasnfer shields. Please remove this reward ability and make them only decorative or make them only be able to transfer a character and not items, broadsword will make more money on the stores by selling character transfers.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That ship has sailed, would probably piss so many people off they would actually lose money from closing accounts if they did away with shields now.

Long term planning, frequent global event arcs, bug fixes, would do a lot more to keep/attract payers than anything they could do.

Hell, they can't even figure out what they want EJ to be like, even after all this time.

Mesanna says they ahve something for the Holidays in December besides Artisan Festival, Kyronix says at the GL M&G that there will be an artisan festival...so what is the answer? Does anyone know? If the two main team members don't know, who does? LOL

And in the meantime, as the ship sails listlessly with no firm course, more houses are dropping...even on Legends.

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Different things.

Vet Reward tokens more limited.

Why is the response of certain players to stimuli always to try and take things away from someone else? It's highly negative and doesn't help to build a positive community here on Stratics.
How about because Shard Shields are the most unbalancing item ever introduced in Ultima Online, and a new player has to wait 15 years to get on a level playing field.

The solution is to revamp the entire veteran reward system all together e.g. remove all restrictions to the Veteran Rewards. Let players pick whatever reward they want regardless of their account age.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think they should lift the timer restriction, at least apply it only to the character that last transferred and not the whole account. It's ridiculous to make players wait 7 days to transfer an entire account of characters.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
OMG did we go back to 2012....... did we finally get the time machine working!
OMG!
OMG we did it we did.....
oh wait, no we are still in 2018.
sorry i saw the topic and thought we had.... well never mind.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Broadsword used to sell character transfer tokens on the uostore, maybe they still do, but people do it for free with shard trasnfer shields. Please remove this reward ability and make them only decorative or make them only be able to transfer a character and not items, broadsword will make more money on the stores by selling character transfers.
Please tell us how Broadsword gets one penny from this. The UOStore uses TOKENS that are purchased from EA not BS.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The only solution i would even consider to this matter is letting people buy months for a set price to increase their age.

getting rid of them is ridiculous.

I do understand that it is a huge advantage in having them. The effort of paying for a game for 15 years... 12 months a year.... 10 bucks a month at best... soo lets say its $1,800.00 of an advantage.... yeah you can have them for next to nothing because you feel its an imbalance.

Sarcasm aside I could feasible see the compromise simply being you can pay for any months you missed out on. Uo gets money, noobs can get on an even field, and us long time vets that paid a ridiculous amount of money to have such a feature wont be so upset that you think you deserve it for free.

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
The only solution i would even consider to this matter is letting people buy months for a set price to increase their age.

getting rid of them is ridiculous.

I do understand that it is a huge advantage in having them. The effort of paying for a game for 15 years... 12 months a year.... 10 bucks a month at best... soo lets say its $1,800.00 of an advantage.... yeah you can have them for next to nothing because you feel its an imbalance.

Sarcasm aside I could feasible see the compromise simply being you can pay for any months you missed out on. Uo gets money, noobs can get on an even field, and us long time vets that paid a ridiculous amount of money to have such a feature wont be so upset that you think you deserve it for free.

You paid for a service, and received 15+ years of great gaming experience I hope... that is what you paid for...nothing else.

The fact that The Dev Team in their infinite stupidity decided to release an item 'Shard Shields' which is a game changer, totally unbalancing (And has done tremendous amount of damage to individual shards) into a system which it totally obsolete (Veteran Reward System) is a completely separate issue.

Your conflating the two: Did you pay for a subscription to play the game of Ultima Online, or did you pay for Veteran Rewards?

It can't be both...which one is it?

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You paid for a service, and received 15+ years of great gaming experience I hope... that is what you paid for...nothing else.

The fact that The Dev Team in their infinite stupidity decided to release an item 'Shard Shields' which is a game changer, totally unbalancing (And has done tremendous amount of damage to individual shards) into a system which it totally obsolete (Veteran Reward System) is a completely separate issue.

Your conflating the two: Did you pay for a subscription to play the game of Ultima Online, or did you pay for Veteran Rewards?

He paid for the subscription that entails and includes many things, including a veteran reward system. So he actually does get to have both. This conversation is foolish. They won't get rid of shard shields and they sure as heck are not going to let everyone be able to get them for free due to loss of revenue.

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
How about because Shard Shields are the most unbalancing item ever introduced in Ultima Online, and a new player has to wait 15 years to get on a level playing field.
Huh? Doesn't answer my question, which was why the reaction of some players is always to try and hurt other players by any available means. I guess maybe most of us lack the appropriate academic background in Psychology or Human Behavior something.

Also the ability to have a free transfer to another shard somehow unbalances new players? 15 years of experience with the game likely counts a lot more!

This little movement Mervie's started really goes pretty far in terms of not fostering a positive environment on Stratics and causing negativity. And all for no actual reason because there's no real merit to the argument.

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
What a great idea...Let's introduce an item into a game 15 years in, and then make others wait 15 years to get that item.

Do I have to paint a picture to demonstrate the absurdity of this?

No one that currently has shard Shields had to wait 15 years to get them.

I'm not advocating doing away with shard shields. I am advocating letting players choose whatever item they want with the limited number of veteran rewards they have.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

caesers properties Total Rewards

The Best Loyalty Programs Go Beyond Rewards

Pizza Hut launches loyalty program, Hut Rewards

15 popular brands with rewards programs you should be taking advantage of

rewards programs are a part of every business, major, minor, insignificant alike...

The only feasible compromise is letting people buy past months. Its a losing situation any other way.

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I wouldn't mind it if PS were shard bound the same way Mastery scrolls are. Sure, that change will shake things up, but it will probably spread out the population and the economy so it isn't all based around 1 or 2 shards. Verteran's get to keep farming PS on whatever server they want. They still get the advantage of shard jumping to buy/sell other items or attend EM events. New/returning players get to pick a server (that isn't a ghost town) that's closer to home and meet more players in a similar time zone. Scripters will have a harder time farming PS as more actual players will run into them and just raid him.

The unbalance of shard shields definitely won't attract new/returning players and it probably demotivates players to renew their subscription more than the opposite. If it were something within reach, like 3 or 4 years, I might actually consider keeping an account open the entire time...but 15 years? LOL ya right.

Last edited:

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have 18 years of paid uo activity. At $10 bucks a month that comes out to almost $2200. That's a low estimate to because over the years the sub price was increased from $10 to $13. So if I get this right is the original poster saying that in addition to the $2200 plus ive spent on uo over the years he thinks I should have to buy a character transfer the same as some one that's maybe spent a couple hundred bucks? If characters transfers are part of the game(which they are) I think its pretty cool those that have paid a lot of money over the years can transfer for free.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What a great idea...Let's introduce an item into a game 15 years in, and then make others wait 15 years to get that item.

Do I have to paint a picture to demonstrate the absurdity of this?

No one that currently has shard Shields had to wait 15 years to get them.

I'm not advocating doing away with shard shields. I am advocating letting players choose whatever item they want with the limited number of veteran rewards they have.
Sorry you do not have them but if it wasn't for us OLD as DIRT Vets paying our subs every month for the past 20 years you wouldn't even have a game to play or a forum to whine on. So I can go to other shards and bring back stuff for my home shard or I can take stuff to other shards for people and you think that is the MOST UNBALANCING thing in UO, sorry but cheaters are by far thae most unbalancing thing hurting UO. How about you get on your soap box about that. Is there nobody in UO that you know that is willing to help you with items from other shards or take your stuff to other shards for you.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
NOOB.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
:grouphug:

Sorry you do not have them but if it wasn't for us OLD as DIRT Vets paying our subs every month for the past 20 years you wouldn't even have a game to play or a forum to whine on. So I can go to other shards and bring back stuff for my home shard or I can take stuff to other shards for people and you think that is the MOST UNBALANCING thing in UO, sorry but cheaters are by far thae most unbalancing thing hurting UO. How about you get on your soap box about that. Is there nobody in UO that you know that is willing to help you with items from other shards or take your stuff to other shards for you.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cat's out of the bag now, can't put it back in. That said, even if not, it's better these things be free. As long as this game is predominantly sub based, I want LESS stuff in the store, not more.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If shard shields are worth 2000 bucks, how come ethy mounts aren't worth 800 bucks?? Dumbest argument ever. They rather see the game close then take away their free transfers. Talk about selfish people.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If shard shields are worth 2000 bucks, how come ethy mounts aren't worth 800 bucks?? Dumbest argument ever. They rather see the game close then take away their free transfers. Talk about selfish people.
When this game dies it won't be because of shard transfers. Won't be because of pvp, rmt, or amything else. It will be due to old age. Games 20 years old. Thats like a billion in game years.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry your accounts are not old enough to get these but there has been many posts here offering free rides to other servers.
My account is old enough, and even if it wasn't my guild runs a shard transfering program with public calenders for those who are not old enough.

You may find this an alien concept, but I am interested in improving the game for people as a whole and not out to look after myself.

exploration of humanity
7024N 4025W
eyes of your eyes

Last edited:

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My account is old enough, and even if it wasn't my guild runs a shard transfering program with public calenders for those who are not old enough.

You may find this an alien concept, but I am interested in improving the game for people as a whole and not out to look after myself.

exploration of humanity
7024N 4025W
eyes of your eyes

Accounts that old and your screen still looks like that? sorry but until you clean your room you cant go outside and play.

Planters

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
No I do have one question... when did everything change to the fact we have to level the playing fields? I don’t have shard shields because I didn’t pay 10$/month for 15 years. I paid 10$/month for 6 years. So let me do the math here really quick... I saved 120$/year for 9 years... shard Xfer tokens are 20$ if I remember correctly... so that’s 6 tokens I can buy in the store per year that I didn’t pay. Now times that by 9 years I can have 54 token in my hands today and now I can xfer 54 times with no limitations. At that point the playing field is leveled... but now the person that did pay 15 years of subscriptions also needs 9 years of xfers they didn’t receive because they paid that amount per month. Shard shields only give 1 token per month (I may be wrong here) so we owe him 54 xfer tokens so he can catch up.
See the field is level but just not free. I thank the vets that have stayed tried and true all these years so that I can enjoy this game when I want to play it. Instant gratification isn’t something you should have or even want. Work for things and you will get there. Smile, enjoy the ride and stay on you home shard and make other toons on other shards. You will find out starting over fresh is a great thing to do. Try siege and the field is VERY level there. No xfers in or out, and everyone is awesome even the pvp like BO and Max Blackoak. Yes they may loot you but they do it with style. Get back on the horse. Get Rez killed and laugh. Sorry about that last ramble :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This entitlement to incentives is mind boggling. In other games, the experiences you've paid and played for are the incentive. If you need a vet reward to pay for your game, why are you playing the video game? Doesn't sound fun to pay for a year to get a vet reward.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This entitlement to incentives is mind boggling. In other games, the experiences you've paid and played for are the incentive. If you need a vet reward to pay for your game, why are you playing the video game? Doesn't sound fun to pay for a year to get a vet reward.
Do you ride an Ethy or have any Vet rewards, we all know that you do so welcome to the entitlement world. These were things given to us by UO as a thank you from UO for our loyalty and just like you we accepted our gifts and did not throw them away.

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Couldn't agree more. The incentive for me to keep my subscription renewed is because I'm finding fun things to do in game and also enjoy sharing those experience with guild mates and friends.

I do think vet rewards as a concept is fine. I don't have any issue with the rest of them since they are mostly aesthetic or provide slightly more convenience to game play AND they are transferable/sellable items. If shard shields were changed so it could be sold after 6 months of ownership, then I wouldn't have a problem with it. It just means I'd have to work harder to earn one. Every other vet reward is transferable so if I really want it, I'd have to put in the time and effort to afford it with gold.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I find it comical that the op doesn't post this on the "official forum". Gee I wonder why.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

exploration of humanity
7024N 4025W
eyes of your eyes
So if you run a free shard transfer system that is open to all how is this the most unbalancing thing in UO. By your actions you have balanced things out because through you everybody has shard shields.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Do you ride an Ethy or have any Vet rewards, we all know that you do so welcome to the entitlement world. These were things given to us by UO as a thank you from UO for our loyalty and just like you we accepted our gifts and did not throw them away.
I don't have an ethy actually. I do use Soulstones, bought, and seedbox. I also use public vet rewards like portals. But all that aside, which I don't consider a valid argument anyways, all the useful vet rewards should just be content rewards. I only really consider a few vet rewards truly unreasonable...

The Seedbox because you can't do nearly as well without it for plants.
The commodity deed box because it's unique and saves a LOT of time.
Auction Safe should have been a craftable.
Lighthouse should be a store item or there should be a public one in a town.
All the crafting tools in the 7th year.
Davies Lockers because they are too useful to not be accessible to everyone. Maybe a public NPC one here too.
And of course the transfer Shields.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So if you run a free shard transfer system that is open to all how is this the most unbalancing thing in UO. By your actions you have balanced things out because through you everybody has shard shields.
I think you're confusing me with someone else, where did i say this is the most unbalancing thing in UO?
I proposed they sell shard transfer tokens on the store and not let people do it for free.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
That ship has sailed, would probably piss so many people off they would actually lose money from closing accounts if they did away with shields now.

Long term planning, frequent global event arcs, bug fixes, would do a lot more to keep/attract payers than anything they could do.

Hell, they can't even figure out what they want EJ to be like, even after all this time.

Mesanna says they ahve something for the Holidays in December besides Artisan Festival, Kyronix says at the GL M&G that there will be an artisan festival...so what is the answer? Does anyone know? If the two main team members don't know, who does? LOL

And in the meantime, as the ship sails listlessly with no firm course, more houses are dropping...even on Legends.
Maybe. But I got my dream castle spot! :D

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When this game dies it won't be because of shard transfers. Won't be because of pvp, rmt, or amything else. It will be due to old age. Games 20 years old. Thats like a billion in game years.
LOL, The game is already dead from a economic/player standpoint, and is strictly due to shard shields. Push everything to atlantic and jack the prices up so anyone that's new trying to come in will just quit in a day or two when they see the ridiculous prices. I don't know what UO your playing but only people left are hardcore players that like the game, that is a small amount of people. I remember a lot more people playing prior to shard shields and then within a year afterwards all shards emptied out and items went to atlantic followed little later by all people. All these people who farm with bots and idoc with scripts all got the bonus of free transfers too. Reminds me of socialism society.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I find it comical that the op doesn't post this on the "official forum". Gee I wonder why.
Not sure what you're insinuating, but I see topics by Mervyn on the official forums. I don't see Fridgster though... I changed mine to Feigr on transfer, because I play on Chessy now and wanted my char name on my profile. Plus I wanted to mouth off to a couple Stratics moderators. Sorry Norri and Arch. LOL