• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Daily Whine (5)

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Today i shall once again whine about skill gain
I've before suggested that if you have GM'ed or Legandary'ed a skill before you should be able to set a new toons skill to said level ALA test center set tailoring 120 this was not well received....

So what about Advanced trainers ....
these trainers allow you to train to any level however they are expensive very very expensive ...

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Skill gain wouldn't be so painful if it wasn't so stupid for some skills like taming and such. I think you should be able to GM any skill in a matter of a few days. Taming, Imbuing, Poisoning, etc are just way too slow.

I don't like the 'set skill' idea but make the gain system work faster. They tried by adding alacrity and SOT deeds but then they made alacrity ones hard to get and the SOT ones drop for EVERYTHING including crap like camping and item id and stuff no one uses so its harder to find the skills you need. Those things should drop in quantities of up to 1 from tram spawns and up to 3.0 in fel champs. Why so stingy? Geeze.

In todays 'right now' generations - people don't want to play a game for months before they max out a toon. Its just so so slow.

Every time this topic comes up though old vets that took forever to build their skills want to keep the barrier high. I'm not one of them. Yes, its sucked to get some of the skills I have but it shouldn't have to suck as bad for the next guy. There should be some work and achievement but if you can't GM a skill in a less than a week with 2-3 hrs per day then its too slow. Period. End of story.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I like gaining skill i do i probably spend more time making new characters and GMing them etc. but i made my tailor legendary when AOS first came out then very foolishly deleted one of the times i quit UO forever .... and yes in today's instant gratification world this is important

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Training up Begging..... an effort in insanity...

You think Taming is bad???? At least it is difficulty based. There is no difficulty base in Begging... you either succeed or you don't... so over 80 getting a gain is like pulling teeth...

and at least now you can use the mastery to gain taming FAR faster...

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Training up Begging..... an effort in insanity...

You think Taming is bad???? At least it is difficulty based. There is no difficulty base in Begging... you either succeed or you don't... so over 80 getting a gain is like pulling teeth...

and at least now you can use the mastery to gain taming FAR faster...
That is cool : How do we use mastery to gain taming? Info appreciated..

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
reach 90.0 taming (real), use a tier 1-3 taming primer, then set a macro:

> Cast Spell
> Combat Training
> Wait for target
> last target

- target a pet so that it becomes your "last target", and replay the macro over and over. *you'll need a lot of mana & regeneration.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You just hit the icon for the mastery you don't actually have to "chose" a thing like you want to do Consume... only you don't pick consume... doesn't matter if you pick one or not just hit the mastery button... but pick your pet and repeat.

If you are like me and you have a programable keypad you can actually set it to use the mastery button every 10 to 12 seconds... this actually nets gains every so often like you tamed an animal... only you didn't. The gains just like taming can be slow but they are there... I still tame my unicorns but this seems to be a far faster method.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
You just hit the icon for the mastery you don't actually have to "chose" a thing like you want to do Consume... only you don't pick consume... doesn't matter if you pick one or not just hit the mastery button... but pick your pet and repeat.

If you are like me and you have a programable keypad you can actually set it to use the mastery button every 10 to 12 seconds... this actually nets gains every so often like you tamed an animal... only you didn't. The gains just like taming can be slow but they are there... I still tame my unicorns but this seems to be a far faster method.
Nice! Does the pet you target need to be untamed and proper level? My taming is at 115 and would like it to get 120 fast, hate to use taming rings. What do I target? Wild GDs or other high level wild beatsts? Thanks..

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nice! Does the pet you target need to be untamed and proper level? My taming is at 115 and would like it to get 120 fast, hate to use taming rings. What do I target? Wild GDs or other high level wild beatsts? Thanks..
Just tame a horse and use it. Do not actually hit consume. That will drop your mana too fast. Do what Mal said.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Right just target a tamed pet... could be anything at all.... use the master but don't chose anything... just keep using it...

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm not sure I agree. It's pretty easy to gain in any skill at this point with alacrity and transcendence scrolls. You can make macros to make the process easier and use the scrolls to get there quicker. There's no skill I can't GM in a week using legitimate methods. I also happen to a be a player who thoroughly enjoys building new characters and working up skills. And now with the new startup pack, you can get that token that lets you and anyone in your party have alacrity-like skill gains for a week in everything.

I don't see it necessary to make skills account bound. I feel like more would be accomplished for the game if people just helped educate new and returning players to the options they have available to accelerate their gains.

DSC Napa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Skill gain can be a PITA

That said I cant think of any skill that takes more than 3-4 days to do 50-120

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Today i shall once again whine about skill gain
I've before suggested that if you have GM'ed or Legandary'ed a skill before you should be able to set a new toons skill to said level ALA test center set tailoring 120 this was not well received....

So what about Advanced trainers ....
these trainers allow you to train to any level however they are expensive very very expensive ...
Do it. Skill gain is nothing but a pointless grind now. Just let people play.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Do it. Skill gain is nothing but a pointless grind now. Just let people play.
Not only is it pointless but...

lets look at who is playing I'm willing to bet the player base is 98% Vets more than likely 5+ year vets at that with multiple accounts we have all done the grind most of us have grown up have jobs family kids etc ....

one again this would apply only to vet accounts that have already raised the skill once or more times before

do you want said player base with maybe an hour a night to play grinding getting frustrated and not wanting to play and quit yet again ...

or do you want them saying set XX skill too and going out and having fun getting hooked again playing more which = possibly spending more....

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I can think of a lot of skills that are a pain... without power gaming.

Animal taming to 90.
Lockpicking in general is slow without power leveling it and standing in one place for hours.
Cartography from 99.5
Chivalry only has one skill and it's not even that useful so without power gaming it's a pain to level.
Inscription is a pain for the amount of weight the reagents are and for mana. At least it doesn't feel like power gaming to sit in one spot though.
Begging, because the rewards are very low and haven't been scaled at all. You pretty much have to do this one power gaming style and just for holiday.

If I bought a mythic token, I'd bump all these up and move around with soul stones.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm also over the vets vs new player thing. I've found that if I run into a "new" or "returning" player it's just a vet on one of their 50 some accounts. Nothing hurts my motivation to play more than thinking I'm talking to three people and find out you're only talking to two.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm also over the vets vs new player thing. I've found that if I run into a "new" or "returning" player it's just a vet on one of their 50 some accounts. Nothing hurts my motivation to play more than thinking I'm talking to three people and find out you're only talking to two.
Think that's bad try thinking your talking to two people and really your not talking to any. :D