• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What to do in game?

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
It's a serious question.

Roof
Exodus
Gate PVP
Champ Spawn / PVP
BODS

Other things include

Fishing
T-maps
Hunting
Macro Skills
IDOC Hunt

I guess we can also include bank sitting? I am just trying to think what the main draw is to log on each and every day for people.

I wish they took the Doom revamp a bit more seriously. Not gonna toot my own horn but I had suggested new item properties for existing artifacts, we didn't need more, we just needed to update item properties to keep up with what is being dropped by monsters currently.

Peerless were also very fun when they initially came out, especially with a group but even that loot has dropped off quite a bit, the crimson cinture is about the only thing that has kept it's value.

What do *you* think we could do to help liven things up?

I think 1 issue is that a lot of the population is spread too thin. Lots of shards are fairly dead save for Atlantic. I think there needs to be something to draw people in to being more active.

Firstly, I think that the team has had some good ideas, I liked the new release of the pets. I think they missed a chance to add Silver Steeds back into the game and wish they didn't mess up the Phoenix graphics but overall, something cool. The problem is it was relatively short lived.

What else could we do? I mean we could look at other games like WoW, their pvm is pretty great with class based armor like tier 1, tier 2 etc etc with set bonuses. I know we have set armor in Uo now but the bonuses are pretty bad. It it is an accomplishment to put together a full set but it doesn't feel like one because you'd pretty much never use the armor to pvm in or pvp. Maybe there needs to be some high end monster content that would require you to partner up in a group? The monster could purge abilities (samp form) or untame pets so you'd have to really focus on the content. Maybe we could spread across certain pieces between peerless monsters? It would help make old content relevant again.

PVP - I think the VvV was a valiant effort but I don't think the reward ever felt sufficient. Wow has battlegrounds which were pretty cool back in the day. I don't think Uo has the technology to port people from different shards into an arena or something but maybe a focus group with some pvpers in the community could come up with something to make organized pvp appealing again? Or provide some enticement (beyond power scrolls) for new people to try pvp. I don't think I have the answer here 100%

Gold Sinks - Let's be honest, gold has gotten stupid. 100m-1B gold for items is insane. We need to look at some way to eliminate the amount of gold in the game. I thought that back in the day when they introduced neon hair dye for 500k, or 1M for different color beard/hair (you were a baller then) was a great idea. We need to find the equivalent for today's game. Something cosmetic that won't give player's an edge in anything. I don't want to see hair dye vendors starting to sell glacial or blaze hair because it makes Melisandre pointless (unless they tried my set armor idea) but this is also something people need to consider.

This post kind of went a few places but I think the game has potential to be so much more despite it's age. I have stopped playing and I nearly re-activated the other night but I asked myself "what am I going to do when I log on?" Outside of spawning to build yet another character, doing exodus or the roof I couldn't think of much. I opted to wait a bit.

I think EJ is another good idea that comes from a great place with the Devs but can't help but feel people will abuse it with ghost cams and multi-boxing.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What to do in the game? Great question! I find I am asking myself the same question more and more often. For me the answer is more and more often, NOTHING. I have spent more time on Stratics lately than I have in UO. My enjoyment of the game is pretty much at an all time low. I have just about had it with the scripters/multiboxxers/RMT people. The devs failure/unwillingness to doing ANYTHING about them almost feels like a slap in the face to the (increasing fewer) honest players left in the game.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
BODs (collect and fill), resources (mining, wood chopping, fishing), exploring, talking to friends (what few are left). Had to take about a yr off due to real world but trying to get back into UO just to get away and do little things that take very few brain cells to do, don't want to overwork the gray matter just relax.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My goal is to level all skills to max and use characters as skill storage and soulstones to hold the rest and rotate.

It's pretty fun exploring and doing this... I haven't allowed people to give me much other than a full spellbook and some mysticism scrolls I couldn't find on Vendor Search. I ran a Corgul and some gave me the arties that dropped. I find that the less people give me and the less I try to powerlevel skills, the more I have to do.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is a really good question, and one I found myself asking all last year when they hammered Mages again in PvP.
I've reduced my PvP time, which meant I either stopped playing, or had to look around for more content.
I love my guild, and guildmates, I've known them for 15 odd years, and enjoy doing stuff and chatting with them, so I'm not in a hurry to leave, though this game has left me so down sometimes I've struggled through last year.
I posted on Stratics a ton, again, more than I played, to try and get some stuff through to the Devs.

Ultimately, UO has a ton of content, the content is there, it is just that they seem to Hamstring the content in so many ways.

They have Mages, Rogues, Warriors, Tamers, Bards, Craftsmen, Treasure Hunters and probably far more I can't think of, but seem to revolve the content around SAMPIRES (wtf?!) and Tamers only.

Many great systems and locations are allowed to rot and go to waste.
Illshenar, Void Pool, VvV, BoDs, Dungeon Chests - Many systems with loot that doesn't reflect the current game so becomes meaningless and worthless.

After a year of banging my head against a brick wall, I finally found a formula for myself.
I had to decide my favourite Playstyles (everything except Sampire), list what is Possible for my playstyles (not much), set yourself Targets, and step away from what the game is trying to force you into, and forget trying to be relevant or competitive in the current game. Only when you put it all out of your head, can you go back to finding fun again.
I could go into huge detail, but don't want to bore you, it took a lot of thinking to buck a lot of the current game trends, and find myself stuff that was fun for me.
And I tried to include relevant where I could, but I couldn't always.

What do I think could improve the game?
Opening up the game to more Templates.
Improve the Loot obtainable for the forgotten Classes.

troglet

Visitor
I came back to the game in November after leaving shortly after ML came out. I am doing the things I didn't do when I used to play. Back then I had a mage and nothing else.

Now I have that same mage but with provo/music, which adds an interesting aspect I'd not experienced before (although I still find the character a little tedious at times, he can't solo much and I don't do PvP)

I also have a tamer, who is my current focus. I am training pets and trying out different combinations of stuff. It's a lot of fun, but I can see it will stop being fun at some point.

I have a few other skills scattered across a few other characters that I'm not sure what to do with. Healing, Poisoning, Ninjitsu, Hiding, Stealing, Necromancy, Mysticism and I'd like to do something with Chivalry too, just not sure what combinations I want to put together yet. But I am finding more enjoyment in multiple characters than I ever used to. I've also started a character on Siege which I am intending to give a fair chance. So a lot of what I'm doing in game is simply trying everything that I didn't try back in the day. That stuff will run out eventually and I'm kind of hoping EJ comes out before then (no, really) because I intend to get my wife to try the game and then I can get my enjoyment by showing her the ropes.

It helps that I have a real life friend who returned around the same time I did. If I was on my own, I might not still be here. Even if we don't play together that much, we talk about the game and that keeps things going for me.

We have a list of things to do, most of which is probably ancient history to a lot of people, but it's still new to me :)

All peerless (I've done Melisande, Dreadhorn, Travesty a few times, they can be exciting but sometimes they are a little boring)
I'd like to do all the champ spawns at least once.
The Harrower
The Void Pool (I've done it a few times but I'd like to get to a higher level)
I'm still intending to do the Shame bosses
The Roof
Possibly some others I'm forgetting
I'd like to kill a Night Terror. I think this is probably unattainable with two or three people :)

I did Tentacles of the Harrower recently because I'd always wanted to back in the day. It, and Khaldun, were perhaps the biggest anticlimax imaginable :) I have traditionally avoided Fel because it seemed like some big scary wilderness 15 years ago, and I must admit I was kind of sad not to get ambushed by murderers :)

Ultimately what has always made me love the game is finding new things to do. There are a lot of combinations of things to try, but at some point it will run out. So I guess what I want to do in the game is simply more. Of everything.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Roof
Exodus
Gate PVP
Champ Spawn / PVP
BODS

Other things include

Fishing
T-maps
Hunting
Macro Skills
IDOC Hunt

I guess we can also include bank sitting?
All of the above! Make a tamer and you can do all of that and more! (except for the PvP part)

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
My goal was to beat every single challenging PvM content this game had to offer and explore as much as possible. I was originally hoping to find/make friends to do that with, but it turns out it is pretty hard to find players willing to redo old content for very little reward. The reward/loot system could definitely be improved so it is more balanced. Anyhow, I ended up playing mostly solo and reworked my goals around that. Now, I’m trying to solo as much as I can and theorycraft to figure out the best/most efficient ways of doing so.

Recently returned to UO to try to complete some unfinished PvM content. Every week or two, I’ll set a new goal to keep the game interesting.

My previous weeks consisted of:

• Theory crafting the best build for Blackthorn captains. I can now stand toe-to-toe with macers and fencers.

• Get 80 poisoning to test Parasitic Poison on BT captains. It was a letdown.

• Solo doom

• Train pets! Gotta try out all the new pet combos and learn all about the training system

• Craft new armor set for Sampire using new Doom artifacts

• Craft new armor set for my Paladin

• Theory craft a max damage swords/archer tamer using beetle’s rune corruption. I was not impressed by RC so I scrapped that idea.

• Solo Shimmering Effusion. I died like 20x doing it but I did it. Now I’m reworking my build and strategy to hopefully do it without dying.

• Theory crafting and test my 2nd sampire to have 100 anat + 100 resist.

• Tame a black or white Cu.
My goals for the upcoming weeks:

• Learn how to use a boat to get to Corgul fast enough. Solo Corgul. Last time I tried this, the boat “arrived” at the location but there was no island. I didn’t have the patience to steer my boat back to land so I abandoned it.

• Solo Shimmering Effusion round 2. Try not to die this time.

• Get 120 spellweaving for my discord/spellweaving tamer for roof

• Make new friends. Solo a little less. Help others.

• Learn how to key Exodus. Not looking forward to this…people willing to pay 5mil for a set of keys must mean this is a royal pain.
Much longer term goals:

• Solo roof with my paladin

• Solo whatever I can with my tamer.

• Redo luck suits for more luck.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
redesign castle w/masonry blocks over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

and over.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I've always wanted to put together a good bestiary with hand drawn art and stats. Some in-game lore where possible and fan fiction where not.

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Got into the Dauntless Beta so didn't come back as soon as i'd like

Seems like either people are bored to death or came back somewhat recently after not playing a LONG time and are okay (for now)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Got into the Dauntless Beta so didn't come back as soon as i'd like

Seems like either people are bored to death or came back somewhat recently after not playing a LONG time and are okay (for now)
I play daily and others on LS play daily also. There are many things to do in UO. If you find something you like to do, then do it. If not, come here and complain about it.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I love to Mine so i have a miner
i have a bard but he mainly just kills Hiyrus collecting items for my imbuer to work with
i have a pally warrior who does blackthorn stuff
I have a legendary Necro/Mage who bank sits
my tamer who seems more interested in pretty rather than any actual stats when taming
I don't PVP have never done doom or the roof peerless etc and i'm perfectly happy i mean its not like i whine daiy or anything...

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I play daily and others on LS play daily also. There are many things to do in UO. If you find something you like to do, then do it. If not, come here and complain about it.
What do you do daily? What is your reason for doing so?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Train pets and build them. If I want to fight stuff I do the roof or a community hunt. Talk in chat. Train more pets.
Help others put points on their pets. Go with groups to do spawns, Zippy, Mel, Medusa, Slasher, Travesty, Dreadhorn if I feel like it. Collect armor to build suits. General goofing off.

I find it entertaining. I am easily entertained maybe.

Usually play alone. I was the kid who could make things from Legos all day before there were patterns.

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Train pets and build them. If I want to fight stuff I do the roof or a community hunt. Talk in chat. Train more pets.
Help others put points on their pets. Go with groups to do spawns, Zippy, Mel, Medusa, Slasher, Travesty, Dreadhorn if I feel like it. Collect armor to build suits. General goofing off.

I find it entertaining. I am easily entertained maybe.

Usually play alone. I was the kid who could make things from Legos all day before there were patterns.
I can relate to the lego lol

Pet stuff doesn't interest me very much, but I can see the appeal for some.

Spawns are alright, eventually you do get all the scrolls you need though. The Peerless basically drop meh loot now, my original post suggested trying to construct new (appealing) armor sets that could drop off peerless. Such as the helm dropping off dread horn (mage, weapon, tamer versions maybe?) - revitalize the peerless monsters and make them interesting to fight against. We don't need more content, we just need to revitalize what we have.

Roof I think also hit a saturation point for me, I have done it too much.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Each character of mine if different. A tamer, a treasure hunter, a crafter, a paladin, etc. (I started a 4th account when the keep behind me fell, so I have most of the little heart grove on LS now). I number the characters on each account 1-7 (in my head). Today is the 25th, so today I'm playing the 25th character (character #4 on account #4). He's a relatively young backsmith at 55 skill and 50 magery, so he has a long way to go to be useful. I play every skill he has, all day, using other characters only to res pets, gate, create a runebook for him, etc). I try not to create 2 of the same type of character, so my other blacksmiths are mage, a macer, and a tamer. Odd combinations. Each day is a new adventure.

Tomorrow is a young bard; going to try to provo some orcs. And when I get back to character #2, that's my favorite, my treasure hunter, and I go solo an L6 or L7, whatever my other characters have found in the 28 days since I played him.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The devs can help out. The events and extra dungeons always draw in more players. The 20th anniv arc was great. They should do ANYTHING similar to that arc. Be it crafter centered, dungeon crawl centered, fishing, T hunting, or ANYTHING. Have drops to turn in or keep as deco. Players made toons to do those events and we had a mass exodus when the event ended. The event can last 20 to 30 days and then a new one start a few weeks later.

Any style invasion is fun. It could be in a dungeon or a city. The spellbooks opened a door to everything. They could drop nice weapons or armor or just odd colored clothes and we would participate.

After EJ and a bug sweep the devs should concentrate on FUN. The High Seas add on should be fun. Then they should put things in to entertain us.

Because it is still fun and he enjoys it, sorry the thrill has left the building for you.
There are many things in UO that I do not find fun. Some of them are fun for a while and then not fun. I try not to do the things that are no longer fun. There is sooo much to do. If you try, you can find something to entertain you for an hour a day. Or as my wife says, 12 hours a day! I think it is only 8.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The devs can help out. The events and extra dungeons always draw in more players. The 20th anniv arc was great. They should do ANYTHING similar to that arc. Be it crafter centered, dungeon crawl centered, fishing, T hunting, or ANYTHING. Have drops to turn in or keep as deco. Players made toons to do those events and we had a mass exodus when the event ended. The event can last 20 to 30 days and then a new one start a few weeks later.

Any style invasion is fun. It could be in a dungeon or a city. The spellbooks opened a door to everything. They could drop nice weapons or armor or just odd colored clothes and we would participate.

After EJ and a bug sweep the devs should concentrate on FUN. The High Seas add on should be fun. Then they should put things in to entertain us.

There are many things in UO that I do not find fun. Some of them are fun for a while and then not fun. I try not to do the things that are no longer fun. There is sooo much to do. If you try, you can find something to entertain you for an hour a day. Or as my wife says, 12 hours a day! I think it is only 8.
sorry I was trying to defend your playing UO, If you look I did not reply to you but someone questioning your UO play. I will not make that mistake again.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
sorry I was trying to defend your playing UO, If you look I did not reply to you but someone questioning your UO play. I will not make that mistake again.
No, I just wanted to acknowledge that I read yours and and agree if none of the things to do is fun, they should leave. But I didn't want to toss a like at leave the building, since that is permanent. I also wanted to acknowledge that there are things in UO that are not fun. No mistake made.

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For me? Mostly it's RP that keeps me logging in. I'm fortunate to have a great group that's fairly active. :)

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
For me? Mostly it's RP that keeps me logging in. I'm fortunate to have a great group that's fairly active. :)
Long time ago strolling in the woods carrying me fishing pole and gear, in the Loch Maree forest, in Scottland,
I met this most angelic of ladies. She was fair haired blue eyes and spoke in highland Gaelic to me. She was dressed in bright green dress and cloak, and was wearing a flower garland. Asked me she what I was doing in the woods so early in the morning. Told her I came for fishing in the Loch, and just stroll in the beautiful forest, watch the sun go up. She mostly talked about the woods, and that she appreciated the king had finally decided to protect the loch and the forest. Her voice was soft and clear, her words were wise. She was a creature of unsurpassed beauty..We sat and talked a while..Then I turned to her..She had vanished..I came next day and the day after. Never saw her again. I was sad..She had stolen me hart..
--And then I woke up..
Kinda RPing heh! I am just learning..
What shard you on?

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Long time ago strolling in the woods carrying me fishing pole and gear, in the Loch Maree forest, in Scottland,
I met this most angelic of ladies. She was fair haired blue eyes and spoke in highland Gaelic to me. She was dressed in bright green dress and cloak, and was wearing a flower garland. Asked me she what I was doing in the woods so early in the morning. Told her I came for fishing in the Loch, and just stroll in the beautiful forest, watch the sun go up. She mostly talked about the woods, and that she appreciated the king had finally decided to protect the loch and the forest. Her voice was soft and clear, her words were wise. She was a creature of unsurpassed beauty..We sat and talked a while..Then I turned to her..She had vanished..I came next day and the day after. Never saw her again. I was sad..She had stolen me hart..
--And then I woke up..
Kinda RPing heh! I am just learning..
What shard you on?
My group, RP1, is on Catskills. If you want a taste of what Catskills RP has to offer, our Governor meeting is Tuesday at 7pm EST. ;)

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Because it is still fun and he enjoys it, sorry the thrill has left the building for you.
It has, I don't like that it has, i'd like for the game to be interesting once again (in general). I have offered some practical suggestions though and tried to generate discussion, or is that frowned upon on a message board?

Paxlair on Chesapeake was good times.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I recall around Haven or WBB and just stand there for a bit, looking at people's paperdolls. Occasionally I shout out some virtual likes and more often than not it's good enough for a little chat. I also fairly often end up with some new or returning player at that point, and they mostly have a long list of stuff to do. So I just tag along, get my beloved scorpian slayer scrapper out, throw some flamestrikes at Miasma - whatever is on the list. That's usually enough for a full day of UO and afterwards I have rather long periods of not playing at all these days. But for those days it's still very much fun.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It has, I don't like that it has, i'd like for the game to be interesting once again (in general). I have offered some practical suggestions though and tried to generate discussion, or is that frowned upon on a message board?
Practical suggestions are always welcome but almost all are generally centered around the play style of the person suggesting them and caters to a select group and not the game as a whole. I liked the global events and the town invasions but do not want them in Brit esp with EJ coming up. I think there is a lot that could be done but with such a small staff we the players can't have it all sadly. I wish the EMs as a team could get together and do some of this and not just EM events but I am not sure how much power they have vice how much @Mesanna has to do for them for the EM events.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I always like building new characters and just finished creating a legendary smith on 13 shards. I'd like to do other templates, alas it's so much harder now that the taming revamp inflated useful power scrolls to insane levels. A newbie smith can work up to a 120 scroll with some patience but trying to build a kitted out sampire starting with no armor and 1K in the bank is pretty darn hard!

My UO bucket list is pretty small after 20 years - I still want to do that sunken ship Shadowlord encounter and I've never done Cora, but that's about it. Lately it's trying to farm enough gold to buy scrolls to max out one pet, but that's going to take a while since I don't like doing some of the high money makers (praying that I get an event drop from the multiboxers or going up against script looters at idocs).

I also tag along when guildies want to do something fun. It's nice having friends who need help doing their first Zippy run or trying to cross something else off their bucket list. :)

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
There was an old Lumberjacking essay RP style like over 10 years ago at least. I remember loving reading that RP essay. It wasn't practical for power training, but it was a good read on how to enjoy the game and RP. That was my favorite Stratics article. I keep trying to fit lumberjacking on a lot of my templates.

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Practical suggestions are always welcome but almost all are generally centered around the play style of the person suggesting them and caters to a select group and not the game as a whole. I liked the global events and the town invasions but do not want them in Brit esp with EJ coming up. I think there is a lot that could be done but with such a small staff we the players can't have it all sadly. I wish the EMs as a team could get together and do some of this and not just EM events but I am not sure how much power they have vice how much @Mesanna has to do for them for the EM events.
For me I think that I tried to be considerate with things.

I didn't want new content to be put in, I just want to create some use for what we already have. I think that Peerless monsters were fun when they first came out but armor sets (with certain parts like head piece off Dreadhorn only) gives people a reason to visit a ton of old content but they have to be really useful armor sets with set bonuses that appeal to people and make it worthwhile to try to acquire them. They also can't just farm 1 boss, they have to do them all with different set pieces dropping from different monsters. Also, peerless was something that more then just sampire can do.

Doom was also fun but gear has fallen behind, I did suggest to look at one of my older posts that I made suggestions to update doom artifacts yes but I felt like it was a decent basis to bring artifacts to par with what is dropped by monsters.

The peerless and doom suggestions I had I like because even though I like pvping a lot, people at least aren't at risk of being raided with peerless stuff in trammel.

Other stuff you'll see I think was an issue but I want to generate discussion about it. Such as how *do* we make pvp more interesting?

Crafting needs something done as well. It was wicked back in the day to go to the Smiths and see people who would repair your stuff for you, just give them a tip. Maybe we need to give crafters a 5% better chance to succeed if they craft in town near a forge or something? I am thinking out loud.

Last edited:

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
For me I think that I tried to be considerate with things.

I didn't want new content to be put in, I just want to create some use for what we already have. I think that Peerless monsters were fun when they first came out but armor sets (with certain parts like head piece off Dreadhorn only) gives people a reason to visit a ton of old content but they have to be really useful armor sets with set bonuses that appeal to people and make it worthwhile to try to acquire them. They also can't just farm 1 boss, they have to do them all with different set pieces dropping from different monsters. Also, peerless was something that more then just sampire can do.

Doom was also fun but gear has fallen behind, I did suggest to look at one of my older posts that I made suggestions to update doom artifacts yes but I felt like it was a decent basis to bring artifacts to par with what is dropped by monsters.

The peerless and doom suggestions I had I like because even though I like pvping a lot, people at least aren't at risk of being raided with peerless stuff in trammel.

Other stuff you'll see I think was an issue but I want to generate discussion about it. Such as how *do* we make pvp more interesting?

Crafting needs something done as well. It was wicked back in the day to go to the Smiths and see people who would repair your stuff for you, just give them a tip. Maybe we need to give crafters a 5% better chance to succeed if they craft in town near a forge or something? I am thinking out loud.
Nice ideas! What would be cool for smiths possibly something like loyalty points to some entity (not the gargie queen etc, but similar), then use the forge for that entity for bonus smithing points, and DECREASED CHANCE OF DESTROYING AN ITEM while enhancing it! (But of course NOT 100% chance like with the tool of forging, so the sales for that item should not be affected too much)?
And how about Tailoring? Same thing put some type of loyalty/bonus to crafting leather armor etc, in specific locations and loyalty to some entity.
And make loyalty points attainable by a crafter-mule, not some impossible task. You can easily make a quest for smithy or tailor, bring back quest items, and get reward loyalty points etc..What do you think?

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Nice ideas! What would be cool for smiths possibly something like loyalty points to some entity (not the gargie queen etc, but similar), then use the forge for that entity for bonus smithing points, and DECREASED CHANCE OF DESTROYING AN ITEM while enhancing it! (But of course NOT 100% chance like with the tool of forging, so the sales for that item should not be affected too much)?
And how about Tailoring? Same thing put some type of loyalty/bonus to crafting leather armor etc, in specific locations and loyalty to some entity.
And make loyalty points attainable by a crafter-mule, not some impossible task. You can easily make a quest for smithy or tailor, bring back quest items, and get reward loyalty points etc..What do you think?
It's the start of an idea for sure, obviously crafting on a larger scale needs to be considered and admittedly, I am not much of a crafter but there are some on these boards who may have some better feedback or ideas of their own. I am not crazy either, I know people won't hand over 1 billion gold suits for repairs, repair deeds have kind of killed the need for interaction.

But even bringing people into towns would be nice.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Plant system is another thing I enjoy. The tribarrel bug though is very very very very annoying af. I wish players hadn't asked to keep it.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Plant system is another thing I enjoy. The tribarrel bug though is very very very very annoying af. I wish players hadn't asked to keep it.
What’s the tribarrel bug

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What’s the tribarrel bug
All the seeds that drop as tribarrel are random now. They can be any gen plant from the originals.

Any crossbred from a cactus as well.

This makes plants that are tribarrel, or crossbred from tribarrel, very rare. If you get third or so gen and bright colored plant that is very time consuming/hard to do now.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's a serious question.

Roof
Exodus
Gate PVP
Champ Spawn / PVP
BODS

Other things include

Fishing
T-maps
Hunting
Macro Skills
IDOC Hunt

I guess we can also include bank sitting? I am just trying to think what the main draw is to log on each and every day for people.

I wish they took the Doom revamp a bit more seriously. Not gonna toot my own horn but I had suggested new item properties for existing artifacts, we didn't need more, we just needed to update item properties to keep up with what is being dropped by monsters currently.

Peerless were also very fun when they initially came out, especially with a group but even that loot has dropped off quite a bit, the crimson cinture is about the only thing that has kept it's value.

What do *you* think we could do to help liven things up?

I think 1 issue is that a lot of the population is spread too thin. Lots of shards are fairly dead save for Atlantic. I think there needs to be something to draw people in to being more active.

Firstly, I think that the team has had some good ideas, I liked the new release of the pets. I think they missed a chance to add Silver Steeds back into the game and wish they didn't mess up the Phoenix graphics but overall, something cool. The problem is it was relatively short lived.

What else could we do? I mean we could look at other games like WoW, their pvm is pretty great with class based armor like tier 1, tier 2 etc etc with set bonuses. I know we have set armor in Uo now but the bonuses are pretty bad. It it is an accomplishment to put together a full set but it doesn't feel like one because you'd pretty much never use the armor to pvm in or pvp. Maybe there needs to be some high end monster content that would require you to partner up in a group? The monster could purge abilities (samp form) or untame pets so you'd have to really focus on the content. Maybe we could spread across certain pieces between peerless monsters? It would help make old content relevant again.

PVP - I think the VvV was a valiant effort but I don't think the reward ever felt sufficient. Wow has battlegrounds which were pretty cool back in the day. I don't think Uo has the technology to port people from different shards into an arena or something but maybe a focus group with some pvpers in the community could come up with something to make organized pvp appealing again? Or provide some enticement (beyond power scrolls) for new people to try pvp. I don't think I have the answer here 100%

Gold Sinks - Let's be honest, gold has gotten stupid. 100m-1B gold for items is insane. We need to look at some way to eliminate the amount of gold in the game. I thought that back in the day when they introduced neon hair dye for 500k, or 1M for different color beard/hair (you were a baller then) was a great idea. We need to find the equivalent for today's game. Something cosmetic that won't give player's an edge in anything. I don't want to see hair dye vendors starting to sell glacial or blaze hair because it makes Melisandre pointless (unless they tried my set armor idea) but this is also something people need to consider.

This post kind of went a few places but I think the game has potential to be so much more despite it's age. I have stopped playing and I nearly re-activated the other night but I asked myself "what am I going to do when I log on?" Outside of spawning to build yet another character, doing exodus or the roof I couldn't think of much. I opted to wait a bit.

I think EJ is another good idea that comes from a great place with the Devs but can't help but feel people will abuse it with ghost cams and multi-boxing.
At core the game boils down to 5 things-

1) Improve your character. (items, pets, skills).
2) Collect Cosmetics.
3) Socialize.
4) Pvp.
5) House deco/design.

I think that's everything. :p

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
At core the game boils down to 5 things-

1) Improve your character. (items, pets, skills).
2) Collect Cosmetics.
3) Socialize.
4) Pvp.
5) House deco/design.

I think that's everything. :p

Change #4 to Kill stuff

#2 is very detailed there are a lot of ways to collect stuffs.

# 1 is also very time consuming.