• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning player with a few questions about armor, weapons and jewels

Treasure Hunter

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Hello everyone,

I'm a returning player that left when Time Of Legends was in beta.

Now, I return and tamers are running around fighting with blue beetles and fire beetles :eek::confused: :wall:

Anyways,
I was surprised to see brittle armor sell at such high prices being brittle.
So I did a little research and somewhat came up with an idea what people are looking for in armor, weapons and jewels.

Looking for verification / info on what people will and will not buy.

Armor = clean, brittle or prized?
Weapons = if splinter clean or prized, no splinter = brittle is ok and/or sell-able?
(I've got some really nice brittle weapons would be great if they're sell-able / people buy brittle weapons).

and Jewels = ??? Need a bit of help here, clean of coarse is good. But prized, brittle, antique,etc???

What are people looking to buy?
Am I even close to a "rule of thumb" ?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
It's very appreciated.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Imbuing Calculator | Knuckleheads.dk

So, max intensity imbuing requires harder to find materials. There's a definable line between MAX and MAX without hard mats. You can find that line using the calculator above.

An item with max intensity saves an imbuer those hard to find materials.

A "Clean" item has max intensity and very little else. This allows enough room for other imbues.

Brittle gives a default max durability.

100% poison are good for training. Swing speed increase is even better.
100% poison and Mage Weapon with HIGH negative magery is great too.

100% Energy weapons with the Whirlwind special move are great for Sampires.
Any 100% damage with Whirlwind is great really.

Anything with LRC and High Resists across the board and Mana Regeneration is great for giving to returning players and building new character suits. These will usually have artifact tags.

Splintering is more a PVP thing. I'm still not sure what they look for because they are a fickle bunch that change so much.

Jewels are usually used to fill out skills. So any skills that look complimentary and high intensity. I don't think these sell very well. The artifact drops are probably better than what you can get as loot or imbue? I'm not sure.

Treasure Hunter

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Thank you for the reply,

I am familiar with Imbuing and item properties/weights
I was more interested in what people will and will not buy from these tags:
Antique
Brittle
Prized
Massive
Unwieldy
Cursed
Unlucky

I see post's "weapon is brittle, it's junk" and then turn around and see brittle armor sell for 100m.
Antique is better than brittle is it not? I was told antique armor = trash. But antique can be powdered, brittle can't, I don't get it???

what about jewels? If a ring holds the brittle or antique tag nobody want's them?

curious if there was a rule of thumb for the tags above.
Armor = clean, brittle or prized is sell-able....Isn't antique better than brittle therefore it should sell as well?

Weapons = if splinter clean or prized, If no splinter = brittle is ok and/or sell-able? (antique weapons)???

and Jewels = ??? Need a bit of help here, clean of coarse is good.
But prized, brittle, antique,etc???

Looking to post an auction here on stratics and don't want to look like an ass posting brittle weapons or antique armor/jewels, etc...
Hope that clears it up a bit?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was more interested in what people will and will not buy from these tags:
Antique
Brittle
Prized
Massive
Unwieldy
Cursed
Unlucky
  • The following negative item properties can now be found on magic items:
    • Brittle – Cannot have powder of fortification applied to the item
    • Prized – Item insurance cost is increased, cannot be blessed
    • Massive – Increased strength requirement, indicated in the strength requirement item property
    • Unwieldy – Increased item weight, indicated in the weight item property
    • Cursed – Cannot be insured or blessed
    • Antique – Increased durability loss, can be powdered 3 times. Each powder will reduce max durability to 250, 200, and 150 respectively. Can be repaired.
  • Items spawned with the brittle property will have a default max durability of 255.
  • All items with the ephemeral property will be converted to antique.
  • Items will have at maximum 1 negative property applied to them.
  • Item insurance will now scale up based on item intensity.
  • Magical jewelry (rings and bracelets) will now have a default max durability of 255.
  • Additional monster loot items will be spawned based on party size and luck.

Source: Publish 86 Notes – Ultima Online

MrMightySmith

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
antique also means durability goes down really fast and on armor it is just really bad. Antique items that have a ton of a value are really only Bracelets/Rings as they dont wear as fast as armor. Its still not that great on Jewls but for certain builds and pvp its very in demand.
Brittle is something i dont even think i see that much on Jewlery as its mainly on Weapons and Armor. Brittle is almost like a Crafted Piece of armor and will last quite a long time so its not a big deal of a property.
Just Consider Prized Clean as it just makes the item more expensive to insure but its not that much.

The splintering weapon thing really has nothing to do with the actually brittle,antique,etc lable, as every time the Splintering effect triggers the item loses 1 point of durability every-time. So if a splintering weapon is not Clean or Prized it will break really fast as you cant powder of fortification them for very long. There is not a ton of demand for items that wont last that long even if there perfect weapons.

Unwieldy makes the item 50 stones and i rarely ever seeing that effect anything other that accidentally filling your pack up with to many of these and dying. Never seen this show up on a legendary piece of armor before.
Massive 125 strength to hold the item and i have never noticed this one ever so it must apply to low level garbage loot.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see post's "weapon is brittle, it's junk" and then turn around and see brittle armor sell for 100m.
Antique is better than brittle is it not? I was told antique armor = trash. But antique can be powdered, brittle can't, I don't get it???

what about jewels? If a ring holds the brittle or antique tag nobody want's them?
Brittle weapons are OK unless they have the "splinter" property. Basically think of it like this. Brittle = imbued. You can repair it but you CANNOT power it.

Brittle jewels don't spawn. They spawn 1) clean 2) prized (cost more to insure) 3) antique (wear down very fast) 4) cursed (junk)

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to add. You cannot use powder of fortification on ANY jewels. Even if they are totally clean.

In the patch notes it is quite confusing for new / returning players as it states "antique – Increased durability loss, can be powdered 3 times." This only applies to to armour.

Treasure Hunter

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
antique also means durability goes down really fast and on armor it is just really bad. Antique items that have a ton of a value are really only Bracelets/Rings as they dont wear as fast as armor. Its still not that great on Jewls but for certain builds and pvp its very in demand.
Brittle is something i dont even think i see that much on Jewlery as its mainly on Weapons and Armor. Brittle is almost like a Crafted Piece of armor and will last quite a long time so its not a big deal of a property.
Just Consider Prized Clean as it just makes the item more expensive to insure but its not that much.

The splintering weapon thing really has nothing to do with the actually brittle,antique,etc lable, as every time the Splintering effect triggers the item loses 1 point of durability every-time. So if a splintering weapon is not Clean or Prized it will break really fast as you cant powder of fortification them for very long. There is not a ton of demand for items that wont last that long even if there perfect weapons.

Unwieldy makes the item 50 stones and i rarely ever seeing that effect anything other that accidentally filling your pack up with to many of these and dying. Never seen this show up on a legendary piece of armor before.
Massive 125 strength to hold the item and i have never noticed this one ever so it must apply to low level garbage loot.
Thank you!
Very helpful reply.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
One other thing:

Spellcasters (including tamers and bards using spellcasting for support) that don't use parry can use any of the shields perfectly fine.

Even an antique shield will last relatively long since it's not taking damage from parry attempts (let it get very low durability, repair, 15 times until it drops to 240. Powder to 250. Let the wear and repair process go another 60 times down to 190. Powder second time to 200. Then another 60 times to 140, then powder). It can conceivably last at least a year or longer, until you find a brittle, prized or clean replacement.

Brittle shields are even better (I think my tamer's shield has taken 5 points of damage, and even then only after I started using a piece of looted jewelry (for its +15 magery and +15 Disco) that also had +15 wrestling).

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Armor = clean, brittle or prized is sell-able....Isn't antique better than brittle therefore it should sell as well?
You look for studded leather pieces with as many of these properties as you can.

+5 Dex
+10 stamina
+8 LMC
+4 mana regen

Bonus if it has
High resists
LRC
A damage eater
+ stam regen
Int bonus
mana increase

You can craft pieces with reforging to get some of the properties them imbue as needed.

Clean: you are rich. Prices are still good at brittle or prized. Can sell antique on Atlantic for high prices.