• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ossein Ram

Belmarduk

Adventurer
My Ram has got over 80 necro now - why does it never cast vengeful Spirit ?
Anyone have a Ram that has been watched that it casts this spell ?
Thankyou

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as i am aware, pets cannot cast Summon spells.
......the pvp'ers would cry more. :devil:

Belmarduk

Adventurer
This is exactly what I did not want to hear... :(
To nerf a pet just because of pvp is really a No-Go.... - Could they not atleast have coded it that no summons could be cast on a fel-ruleset ? That would be better than nothing..

Thx anyhow for answer ;)

North_LS

Journeyman
revenant requires three follower slots, not sure how you'd get around that. should pets with magery summon elementals and daemons? should pets with mysticism pop rising colossi? should those summons then be able to summon more things if they have access to a branch of magic?

im thinking no summons for NPCs is intentional and has nothing to do with pvp.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't believe there is a precedent for any pets casting summons. I'm open to being wrong here, but since day one I think magery enabled pets (dragons, nightmares) could not cast summon spells. I don't think there has ever been indication other wise. Imagine if you had a mystic cu 5 slot that could also cast a 5 slot Rising Colossus! Yikes!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't believe there is a precedent for any pets casting summons. I'm open to being wrong here, but since day one I think magery enabled pets (dragons, nightmares) could not cast summon spells. I don't think there has ever been indication other wise. Imagine if you had a mystic cu 5 slot that could also cast a 5 slot Rising Colossus! Yikes!
You are correct and it should remain as it is and has always been. The one exception I wished for on necro pets was to be able to animate dead........ since they do not take control slots and are not controlled.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You are correct and it should remain as it is and has always been. The one exception I wished for on necro pets was to be able to animate dead........ since they do not take control slots and are not controlled.
Exactly...

Belmarduk

Adventurer
Ok it makes sense to a certain extent that pets should not be able to cast summons - I was somehow looking forward to my Ram casting VS when over 80 necro
Slightly disapointing but still one of my best pets :)
Other note: Shame that the T-Rex did not make live as tameable - T-Rex would also have been fun as pet ;)

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Ok it makes sense to a certain extent that pets should not be able to cast summons - I was somehow looking forward to my Ram casting VS when over 80 necro
Slightly disapointing but still one of my best pets :)
Other note: Shame that the T-Rex did not make live as tameable - T-Rex would also have been fun as pet ;)
It would make house hiding interesting...

azoA0.gif

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If I remember correctly, when the "taming publish" first hit TC, Pets with Mysticism COULD summon a Rising Colossus. It didn't take long at all for that to get changed! LOL
And in the BS conference room, the conversation went something like this:
Dev #1: Watched a pet summon a Rising Colossus last night! That was pretty interesting!
Dev #2: I'll bet. How did the players handle that?
Dev #1: Went over well. I can see some fun times in the future.
Unknown Person: Nerf it to death!! It makes too much sense for a Mysticism spell to be cast by a pet with that skill! We can't have that at all. Do it! <and they walk out the door>

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The Ossein Ram has the problem that if it knows Necromancy, it casts Corpse Skin, which reduces it's own damage output. Corpse Skin increases Physical/Cold Resist by 10, and the Ossein Ram does 50% Physical/25% Cold/25% Energy damage, so 75% of it's melee damage output is being negatively effected by it's own Corpse Skin casts. Sadly, a lot of Necro pets have this problem.

Although, one thing that i found hilarious when recently training another Ossein Ram, is that they can learn Chivalry. An Undead Ram with Chivalry, lol. Although, that might have interesting interplay with their Life Leech ability. Chiv pets have high damage output, and that should synergize well with the Ossein Ram's Life Leech ability, to also increase his survivability.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nobody Cares about that magical creatures don't cast energy vortex. I don't understand this discussion.
Should a summoned demon cast another one? No!!

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can someone sum up why the ram over say.. a Cu ? or some other more common pet? I'm intentionally ignorant to this newest taming madness. It's just to complicated for my desire to even try.

Every tamer I know is farming/training the Cu. I'm curious what strengths a ram would have over the more traditional or commonly seen pets. Thanks :)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can someone sum up why the ram over say.. a Cu ? or some other more common pet? I'm intentionally ignorant to this newest taming madness. It's just to complicated for my desire to even try.

Every tamer I know is farming/training the Cu. I'm curious what strengths a ram would have over the more traditional or commonly seen pets. Thanks :)
They like many other trainable pets do not get enough points to make a trained pet equal to the top 5 pet types.

Rams would not be overpowered with 1501 more points.

Besides the ones mentioned you can do well with 2 slot mares.. and for specific battles there are some intetesting options. I like taking my super phoenix out to icy lands and foes.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

The Chiv Cu is a good general purpose pet, but it's not the best Tank pet nor the best DPS pet. Another good general purpose pet is the Najasaurus.

The best Tank pets are the Saurosaurus (they can spawn with up to 85 Physical Resist and 90 Fire Resist, plus they come with Life Leech), and Feint Cu (particularly against something like Exodus). The Ossein Ram with Chiv also has some good tanking potential. I tested one out on TC, and they do a good bit of damage with Chiv+AI, and are pretty tanky as well considering they have Life Leech, so half the damage they inflict heals themselves.

The best single target DPS pets would be the Rune Corruption+AI Fire Beetle (especially when you're hunting in a group), Wrest Mastery Fire Beetle (for lower Fire Resist foes), Rune Corruption+AI Frost Mite (for Cold weak foes), or Crimson/Platinum Drakes with Chiv+AI (pick the one that hits your opponent's weakest Resist).

The best pets for AoE, are the Necromage+Poison Breath Dread Spider (make sure to train Poisoning to GM before switching to Necromage), and potentially a Frenzied Whirlwind+Poison Breath Najasaurus (i'm still testing this one out on TC).

I have over 35 pets in my stables, and most of them are specialized for hunting certain creatures or bosses.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So, just finished testing a Najasaurus with Poison Breath and Frenzied Whirlwind for it's AoE potential, and i'm pretty impressed. That Najasaurus actually has more AoE damage output than the Dread Spider with Necromage+Poison Breath, plus the Najasaurus is a lot tankier. While not quite capable of putting out the AoE damage of a Sampire with WW+Hit Area wep, or a Necro spamming Wither, the Najasaurus with Poison Breath+Frenzied Whirlwind is still the tamer's best pet for pumping out AoE damage.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thats why you do not see anyone using them. And why the devs should lower their starting slots so they can be used for fun.
Yeah, Dread Spiders end up as AoE glass cannons (except against Poison damage, which they have 100% Resist too). My Dread Spider, Lolth, has about 300 Health, and i use it during the first 2-3 levels of the Dragon Turtle spawn. I run Consume Damage on it, so the first two levels can't even damage it, and i have to bandy the Dread Spider during the 3rd level. It does a lot of damage though with Poison Breath inflicting Lethal Poison (Lvl 5) to everything on screen, and casting Withers and Poison Strikes. It also casts Conduit, but that is unfortunately bugged for pets and doesn't work (the single target Necro spells aren't chaining off of it). Once the spawn reaches Lvl 4, i switch to a RC+AI Frost Mite.

During that recent Frenzied Whirlwind+Poison Breath Najasaurus test though, i took him to the Dragon Turtle Champ, and he did even better than the Dread Spider, both in terms of pumping out AoE damage, as well as surviving.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah, Dread Spiders end up as AoE glass cannons (except against Poison damage, which they have 100% Resist too). My Dread Spider, Lolth, has about 300 Health, and i use it during the first 2-3 levels of the Dragon Turtle spawn. I run Consume Damage on it, so the first two levels can't even damage it, and i have to bandy the Dread Spider during the 3rd level. It does a lot of damage though with Poison Breath inflicting Lethal Poison (Lvl 5) to everything on screen, and casting Withers and Poison Strikes. It also casts Conduit, but that is unfortunately bugged for pets and doesn't work (the single target Necro spells aren't chaining off of it). Once the spawn reaches Lvl 4, i switch to a RC+AI Frost Mite.

During that recent Frenzied Whirlwind+Poison Breath Najasaurus test though, i took him to the Dragon Turtle Champ, and he did even better than the Dread Spider, both in terms of pumping out AoE damage, as well as surviving.
Because the Dread Spider seriously needs to be a 2 slot pet to begin with... why the DEVs insist that it's a "bad" pet and that it warrants a level 3 is beyond my comprehension... unless I'm missing something the pet seriously is not worth training up sadly... because I wanted it to be a great pet... so disappointed... much like the horrid disappointment it was to finally get to tame a shadow wyrm and it sucks so bad its not even funny... baffling... I guess the DEVs really do want everyone sticking with the giant dragon rather than using smaller footprint pets.