• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

My daughters High School Student Walkout today

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I think it's great that students across the country want to be involved in things...but to just ~Walk out~ lof school and wander aimlessly isn't going to help.

Today, my daughters High School participated and had their own ~Walk Out~

Students began to gather on the football field at 9:50...from 10:00-10:17 (17 minutes to honor the 17 lives lost at Marjoy Stoneman Douglas High School) they began to fill in the letters NEVER AGAIN...

(Sorry for those who are not fans of facebook, I hope they put the video up on the district site)

During lunches, students can partake in various student-led civic engagement activities that include: voter registration, mock election, letter writing campaign, change collection, and a Q & A with administration about school safety. Students & Staff will have the opportunity to sign a banner of support to let Stoneman Douglas High School know we stand with them!

I am thankful for the staff of this wonderful school district...as across the country in the days after this horrific event, false threats were made at many schools...including this one...as I dropped my daughter off at school 2 days after the shooting, there was a heavy police presence because of an alleged threat....my other daughter who goes to school an hour away was also put on lockdown because of a threat to area schools.

I don't usually post my thoughts or opinions out in public, but this one isn't just about the loss of lives, it's about the deeper issues of mental illness, disturbed individuals crying out for help but never getting it or just ignored...

My best friend wrote a song days after the incident.....he says it all....

Slip Away

There are some people you will meet, but you'll never really know them
Facing demons and defeat, they may never really show them
The little boy lost in school showed the signs, but somehow they missed them
Felt destroyed and tossed by rules left behind, overlooked by the system

And don't, let them slip away
Cus you never know how far they'll go one day
And don't, turn the other way
Cus you never know the price we'll all pay

The young man with the troubled mind
The school, he seems to slip right through it
Drawing plans of people dying
Who knew today he would do it

And I just watched a four time felon
walkin in from off of the street
Pulled a gun and people are yellin
He's just killed the best man you can possibly meet

So no, you let them slip away
couldn't prevented this from happening today
Oh no, you turned your back away
and now you know the price we all pay

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I get the overall message of why schools are doing things like that, but the circumstances of it really shows how flawed America's value system is. There are lots of school shootings that get barely talked about, and tons of assaults, fights etc. that are never reported at all. Yet suddenly, everyone cares about this one. Why do they care? Oh, because this time it was a wealthy neighborhood and rich people's kids got hurt. Nobody cared about all the shootings in ghetto schools, but now it happens near people with money and suddenly everyone in the country cares and there is non-stop media coverage.

The Parkland shooting happened in the county I am from, around 10 miles away from my house, I can tell you 100% for a fact, the majority of people in that area have never cared about any other school violence issues because they see it as "poor people problems" (I heard a woman use those exact words once).

The massive hypocrisy of those same people suddenly acting all concerned and wanting to change things just because it happened in their area instead of a ghetto is ridiculous to me.

If they wanted to have protests and walk-outs, about 10 years ago would have been a good time to start. It all just seems hollow and self-serving to me when people are only doing it now that they realized it can happen to them too.

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I get the overall message of why schools are doing things like that, but the circumstances of it really shows how flawed America's value system is. There are lots of school shootings that get barely talked about, and tons of assaults, fights etc. that are never reported at all. Yet suddenly, everyone cares about this one. Why do they care? Oh, because this time it was a wealthy neighborhood and rich people's kids got hurt. Nobody cared about all the shootings in ghetto schools, but now it happens near people with money and suddenly everyone in the country cares and there is non-stop media coverage.

The Parkland shooting happened in the county I am from, around 10 miles away from my house, I can tell you 100% for a fact, the majority of people in that area have never cared about any other school violence issues because they see it as "poor people problems" (I heard a woman use those exact words once).

The massive hypocrisy of those same people suddenly acting all concerned and wanting to change things just because it happened in their area instead of a ghetto is ridiculous to me.

If they wanted to have protests and walk-outs, about 10 years ago would have been a good time to start. It all just seems hollow and self-serving to me when people are only doing it now that they realized it can happen to them too.
It is possible for people torealize an error, learn, revise their views in response to new data, realize the flaws in their value system, etc., without being hypocrites.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
10 days ago my son (who has mental disabilities) texted a school friend 'don't go to school tomorrow. i'm going to kill myself'. yesterday he was banned from attending school for the rest of the school year. i am livid. don't they realize this was part of the reason for the FL shooting?

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It is possible for people torealize an error, learn, revise their views in response to new data, realize the flaws in their value system, etc., without being hypocrites.
Also it's possible the less fortunate neighborhoods have people that don't want to advocate. A lot of the less fortunate just don't care.

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Also it's possible the less fortunate neighborhoods have people that don't want to advocate. A lot of the less fortunate just don't care.
One of your "facts" based on your opinion I suppose.

Why you will never win an online argument

I'm sure there's studies about about protests in poorer neighborhoods. I don't know if there's less of them or if there's just fewer cameras pointed at them. If there's less of them, I don't know why. I don't know and I doubt you do either. Oh well.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I didn't say my thought was a fact. So yea, it is based on my opinion and experiences. You're bringing drama across threads, but I'm glad you learned how to point out a fact versus opinion a little better.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
NewI think it's great that students across the country want to be involved in things...but to just ~Walk out~ lof school and wander aimlessly isn't going to help.
I don't know. This post and few thousand like it in few thousand different places kinda suggests that it clearly is better than nothing; message and voice gets through. That is what any protest needs to have a change to achieve anything.

Why American schools have so many mass shootings is prolly a very complex question with an answer including some pretty far ranging bits about culture, pop culture, mental health, lacking support structures etc. Ie, very complex stuff. In those situations, it'd pay to focus on the precious few bits of the solution that appear relatively simple. It is utterly obscene how easy it still seems for even teenagers to acquire very potent weapons in USA. At least make them as age restricted as booze is for starters.Good lord. Person can be too young for titty bars but old enough to buy guns. Might be an idea to move even a few steps away from this pure insanity tier.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
10 days ago my son (who has mental disabilities) texted a school friend 'don't go to school tomorrow. i'm going to kill myself'. yesterday he was banned from attending school for the rest of the school year. i am livid. don't they realize this was part of the reason for the FL shooting?
Wait...they expelled your son? I would be at the school board so fast!

Both of my girls are Autistic, I understand the fight...and Norry I get where you're coming from.....but I think today's teens are more informed....a little mis informed about WHY they happen..in my opinion it's not about the guns, it's about parenting and mental illness. I haven't read up on this latest shooting because it's just so depressing but from the little I did read, this kid had a history that went un-checked....even posting on facebook what he was going to do and people thought he was joking. Now I know that it's hard to take EVERY threat seriously but you HAVE to...2 days after the incident schools across the country were getting false threats and they took every one seriously....it always takes something horrific to happen before anything is done.

There is an intersection near my parents house that had 5 accidents in the span of 3 months....people running the stop sign as it was only a 2-way..the people that live on the corner had a car go into their house once....they tried to get a 4-way stop put in for years but the county felt that there was no need for it....the next accident there was a fatality....2 months later it was on the news and a 4-way stop was put in....why did it take someone dying before they did anything about it? Because that's how it always is....and it's sad.

I had my oldest tested many times before she started school and all the tests said she was ~normal~...her first week of kindergarten and her teacher saw that she wasn't and demanded further testing...I thank that teacher for being aware and noticing the signs....that's what it boils down to...people actually paying attention and noticing the signs of distress and making sure something is done about it.

If you go back and look at all of the mass shootings that have happened..not just schools....99% of the shooters are mentally incapacitated in some way and are just lashing out because it's the only way they feel they can get attention and be noticed and crying out for help.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you go back and look at all of the mass shootings that have happened..not just schools....99% of the shooters are mentally incapacitated in some way and are just lashing out because it's the only way they feel they can get attention and be noticed and crying out for help.
I saw one small article on this as well. It's not getting nearly the attention it needs.

Ghost of Gramps

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Meanwhile, here in China, it is summer, and I have interns from high school and university. They work all day, six days a week, even when I am not here, throughout the summer. I could only take 60 to work throughout our corporation, in departments ranging from manufacturing, marketing, research and development, international trade, and human resources, though I had nearly 7,000 applications from the top high school and university graduates in the country. They take classes when they are not working, such as physics, economics and calligraphy. They seek me out whenever they can to broaden their knowledge of English conversation and the world outside of China in general. Yes, there is a real difference in education between the US and here. There are no walk outs here. Everything that is the American dream, they aspire and actually work for. It is communist in name only. This is the corporate state, and the puritan work ethic reigns here.

Last edited:

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
... and 18 months later what was seen as encouraging students to take a stand has clearly devolved into political indoctrination(in both directions, this isn't a political opinion).

It's a slippery slope, let me know when shampoo is cancelled so that bald people aren't offended.