• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Are PvP Tamers viable?

Skrylox

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So i'm having fun on my PVM tamer but i do like to PvP or protect spawns in Fel. I am tired of seeing people raided so figured why not have fun!! I used to run 5 frenzied all GM with bolas before pub 97. ARe teh pack pets viable? I was thinking 5 hellcats, hellhounds, or a combo of wolf spiders and frost spiders. Do pets actually do damage in pvp anymore? I would need pack instinct

As far as a template goes outside of taming and lore what fits? I'll be on foot

Archer tamer?
annoying healing mage?
Or perhaps alchy mage mage med eval alchy tame lore resist. pop purples at the running foot soldiers seems fun.

Thoughts? Am I crazy?

IGF

Visitor
You are crazy if you think your going to run 5 of any pet in PVP, sorry to say. Even with the damage spread mastery most 1 slot pets would probably be one shot. There may be a viable template out there but pets have been heavily nerfed in PVP. The only thing I would suggest them for is defending choke points. If you’re after straight up damage output or pvp viability I think you should look at other templates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
There re some pretty good PvP builds and combos out there.. My pvp friends would frown upon me posting their specs and pet builds out in the open out of fear of nerfs.. but if ya want message me and I will give ya some details.. =^-^=

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
archer tamer with a heavy crossbow is still viable in a team. by yourself you'll be in trouble if there are multiple opponents though because while one will be occupied with your pet the rest will focus on killing you.

I have seen mystic tamers with stealth and ninjitsu using the mystic weapon mastery. Their pets usually had a necro mage build of some sort and if everything lines up perfectly they still can instantly kill you even after the nerf. You really need to think outside of the box for PvP tamer templates. Forget about your usual mage-tamer templates, forget about vet on the template. Some might not even be running 120 taming and lore.

PvP tamers still exist but there are very few who are good at playing them and coming up with PvP templates for both their char and pet. Good luck!

Skrylox

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
archer tamer with a heavy crossbow is still viable in a team. by yourself you'll be in trouble if there are multiple opponents though because while one will be occupied with your pet the rest will focus on killing you.

I have seen mystic tamers with stealth and ninjitsu using the mystic weapon mastery. Their pets usually had a necro mage build of some sort and if everything lines up perfectly they still can instantly kill you even after the nerf. You really need to think outside of the box for PvP tamer templates. Forget about your usual mage-tamer templates, forget about vet on the template. Some might not even be running 120 taming and lore.

PvP tamers still exist but there are very few who are good at playing them and coming up with PvP templates for both their char and pet. Good luck!
Thank you. If I'm going to be on foot (I'll be in a group) perhaps a gargoyle is better for movement. My thought was 5 pets, explosion potions, and casting if someone sees all of that going on they tend to reach by running away for a moment. They may not know what the damage is but they know there are alot of things happening

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thank you. If I'm going to be on foot (I'll be in a group) perhaps a gargoyle is better for movement. My thought was 5 pets, explosion potions, and casting if someone sees all of that going on they tend to reach by running away for a moment. They may not know what the damage is but they know there are alot of things happening
I believe you're overestimating explosion potions...unless someone is trapped all they have to do is take a step to the side to avoid being damaged plus the 5 second timer makes it hard to actually hit someone with them.
Gargoyle can be viable but it all depends on what your template and that of your pet will be.

Thoronnar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
If you are going to be on foot you will die. Long time ago I took my tammer out to Felucca and it was a lot of fun. I did archer-tamer with heavy crossbow, dismount and send the pet. I could still fight and do a lot of damage with archery. I would drop vet on a soulstone and put on resist. Healing with chiv 4/6. I have not try PvP with my tammer for years, and I bet with the current changes they are pretty much useless unless you are really good.

I've been thinking of tweeking my toon and take it out PvP again, but I'll wait see what people do and then ask around.

Last edited: