• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pet gone wild bug

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Bug has claimed another victim...

So a couple months ago I worked for hours and hours to spawn a blue Lesser Hiryu... finally got one... put it in the stable... bonded it.

Fast Forward to yesterday... I take the pet out and start round 1 of training with the Crazed Mage... Everything went just fine... raised his resists, gave him Frenzied Whirlwind and raised his MR to 30 gave him some int and a few HP... no problem.

Now this tamer has 120 Lore and Vet with 117.8 Taming... no problem... so this evening I decided what the heck I'll take him back down for round two... I go down there feed him... he's fine wonderfully happy... I start working the mage bring my archer down to take the mage out when I hit cap and all.... I get the whisper going we are doing great...

And then randomly without warning.... the Lesser goes gray..... I'm like WTF I didn't hit him or he didn't hit me... did he hit me with WW somehow I'm wondering... and then I see it... he's not my pet anymore... no warning... no message saying he's decided he's better off without a master NOTHING... just *blink* gray... I tried like heck to get him off the mage and everything but of course I couldn't invis him can't perform beneficial acts... I couldn't hop on him he's not my pet anymore nothing I did would get him off the mage even hitting him or whatever trying to draw him away..... I tried drawing the mage off of him... but that didn't work either... I tried area peacing him.... that didn't work..... eventually I just watched him die... with nothing I could do about it. I couldn't retame him he was too angry...

At any rate I can say with 100% assurance that he WAS Wonderfully happy not a min before this happened... I had not given him a bunch of commands or anything which would have lowered his happiness or anything so... yeah I don't get it... And like I said there was ZERO message that he was better off without me... he simply blinked from green to gray.... without warning.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED

So a couple months ago I worked for hours and hours to spawn a blue Lesser Hiryu... finally got one... put it in the stable... bonded it.

Fast Forward to yesterday... I take the pet out and start round 1 of training with the Crazed Mage... Everything went just fine... raised his resists, gave him Frenzied Whirlwind and raised his MR to 30 gave him some int and a few HP... no problem.

Now this tamer has 120 Lore and Vet with 117.8 Taming... no problem... so this evening I decided what the heck I'll take him back down for round two... I go down there feed him... he's fine wonderfully happy... I start working the mage bring my archer down to take the mage out when I hit cap and all.... I get the whisper going we are doing great...

And then randomly without warning.... the Lesser goes gray..... I'm like WTF I didn't hit him or he didn't hit me... did he hit me with WW somehow I'm wondering... and then I see it... he's not my pet anymore... no warning... no message saying he's decided he's better off without a master NOTHING... just *blink* gray... I tried like heck to get him off the mage and everything but of course I couldn't invis him can't perform beneficial acts... I couldn't hop on him he's not my pet anymore nothing I did would get him off the mage even hitting him or whatever trying to draw him away..... I tried drawing the mage off of him... but that didn't work either... I tried area peacing him.... that didn't work..... eventually I just watched him die... with nothing I could do about it. I couldn't retame him he was too angry...

At any rate I can say with 100% assurance that he WAS Wonderfully happy not a min before this happened... I had not given him a bunch of commands or anything which would have lowered his happiness or anything so... yeah I don't get it... And like I said there was ZERO message that he was better off without me... he simply blinked from green to gray.... without warning.
Tbat takes the cake..Imagine if you had scrolled him..

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That sux. Midnight Blue is very rare. I don't have 1.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah I was pretty peeved now I'm just depressed. But had I scrolled it I would really be hot still...

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
hate to hear when this happens... =* [ I had it happen to one of my bane dragons yesterday...and spent the better part of two hours trying to get it to the 12-16% Hp required to retam it..but when the bane has 120 magery, eval ,20Hp regen, and 30 mana regen..that can be a hard sweet spot to reach and maintain.. ..finally got it back and now its in my stable rebonding... had to get vlad to come with a cu while we spammed it with poison to finaly get it retamed.. Thank for helping btw, mate.. don't think I could of done it alone.. =^-^=

North_LS

Journeyman
ugh, thats awful. only thing i can think of is that some of the stalactites block LOS in that area, but NFW should a pet go from wonderfully happy to wild in a minute.

Don - oh man, already? glad you were able to get it back. seems like LS has a pretty good group willing to drop whatever to help each other out when needed.

Bleak

UO Software Engineer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

:(
Based on the information provided I can shed some light on what happened to your pet. We will be looking into providing players with more information so that you can take action to prevent pet loss. To start pet loyalty is tested with every command given but also every hour(real time) all unstabled pet loyalty is tested. If your pet fails the loyalty test their loyalty will be reduced. The pet not having a line of sight to the owner or the owner being hidden can also result in failing this test. Based on your post your pet was at max loyalty when you started but I would like to know how long you were done there and were you hidden at any point?

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Based on the information provided I can shed some light on what happened to your pet. We will be looking into providing players with more information so that you can take action to prevent pet loss. To start pet loyalty is tested with every command given but also every 4 four hours(real time) all unstabled pet loyalty is tested. If your pet fails the loyalty test their loyalty will be reduced. The pet not having a line of sight to the owner or the owner being hidden can also result in failing this test. Based on your post your pet was at max loyalty when you started but I would like to know how long you were done there and were you hidden at any point?
Can you look into the bug where pets get duplicated while dropping rocks on Navrey. You can be mounted or not mounted. The duplicate pet is not one you can trade. But it has caused two pets to be lost on LS.

Basically a person on a rideable pet clicks the columns and sometimes the pet they are on is also standing next to them. Sometimes the real pet is the one standing there and it will fight. But when you dismount, you just have 1 pet.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Based on the information provided I can shed some light on what happened to your pet. We will be looking into providing players with more information so that you can take action to prevent pet loss. To start pet loyalty is tested with every command given but also every 4 four hours(real time) all unstabled pet loyalty is tested. If your pet fails the loyalty test their loyalty will be reduced. The pet not having a line of sight to the owner or the owner being hidden can also result in failing this test. Based on your post your pet was at max loyalty when you started but I would like to know how long you were done there and were you hidden at any point?
I was not hiding. I was right next to him. Well behind him... As I usually am... Now I had recently switched screens to my archer to get him on the target of the mage but that was like a split second. I hadn't given the pet a command for a bit and like I said I never got the message that he decided he was better off without a master.... which was odd... he simply in the blink of an eye went gray. I don't think I was even online for 4 hours at the time and my training on level 2 was around 10% or so so I'm fairly sure I wasn't down there for 4 hours... also I'd just applied his bonuses from gaining to level 1 I'm fairly sure that didn't take me 4 hours either... don't think I was even up for 4 hours. Now not sure if there are line of sight issues down there where that crazed mage spawns in Shame or not... but this is the first I've ever had this happen. I typically check loyalty and happiness of my pet quite frequently... I'm always checking it's progress in skill and therefore opening the lore menu...

I have never sat about hidden with my pet about... I've trained up probably 20 to 25 pets at least down there and have never had any issues at all with that... and I've always done it while using one tamer and an archer. Switching between screens keeping them both alive and well... killing the mage when I no longer get gains on the pet. I've never had a pet become anything lower than extremely happy. I pay pretty close attention to whether or not the pet is telling me to take a long walk off a short pier or if he is agreeing to do what I'm asking... So it came as a shock to have it just *blink* gray with no rhyme or reason... I wasn't giving commands at the time, I was standing right next to it, I was not hidden... though I can show you exactly where we were standing... if you like @Bleak as I'd like to solve this issue... I'd hate to work that hard to find another blue lesser only to have it do the same thing.

I can say my tamer in the instance was 120 lore and vet with 117.8 taming.... REAL so I'm pretty sure it wasn't an issue with that. Can't imagine that a lesser hiryu at 2 slots would require more taming skill than that. Just was weird.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Is there a secondary loyalty check that happens more frequent than 4 hours? It's pretty common to leave a pet outside a house (for an Auction or in-game event) for 1-2 hours, then when you go to get the pet it's down to 'Very/Rather Happy' or lower. I've also seen pets drop from Wonderfully Happy to Very Happy after ~10-15 minutes of being alone in a non-house area.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm one of the few people I know who ALWAYS plays WITH sound... as a Tamer I feel it very important to hear the feedback from my pet when I command them to know if I'm being told to go fly that kite or not... and if I need to give it some .... nutritional encouragement... So I find it very strange that I'd have a pet just randomly blink to gray.

I mean one second he's green the next he's gray... I was thinking it odd and maybe he'd hit me with some spell or something... but I was fairly sure he hadn't... couldn't figure out why he'd go gray to me when I realized that he'd gone wild... which was the last thing on my mind.

Bleak

UO Software Engineer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there a secondary loyalty check that happens more frequent than 4 hours? It's pretty common to leave a pet outside a house (for an Auction or in-game event) for 1-2 hours, then when you go to get the pet it's down to 'Very/Rather Happy' or lower. I've also seen pets drop from Wonderfully Happy to Very Happy after ~10-15 minutes of being alone in a non-house area.
I thought I had corrected my earlier post as all unstabled pets every hour(real time) have pet loyalty test, not every 4 hours. Meaning if the loyalty check happened at 1 pm EST then next one would happen at 2 pm EST.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I thought I had corrected my earlier post as all unstabled pets every hour(real time) have pet loyalty test, not every 4 hours. Meaning if the loyalty check happened at 1 pm EST then next one would happen at 2 pm EST.
I see players banksitting for 12 hours with a pet next to them and they never lose a pet. Loyalty check is not the problem here.

And when are you going to let Rams, Skrees, Ki Rins, Dread Spiders 1 slot lower so people can use more pet types?

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I see players banksitting for 12 hours with a pet next to them and they never lose a pet. Loyalty check is not the problem here.
I think it's definitely part of the problem. Bank sitters don't lose their pet because they are within line of sight of their pet still when the loyalty check occurs. It sounds like if you are out of line of sight, hidden, etc. when a loyalty check occurs, your pet will drop loyalty. Maybe there is a bug that is causing pets to drop more loyalty than they should, or maybe people are wrong about their pet's loyalty, how long they were doing something, etc., I can't say.

I do know loyalty checks were changed somewhat recently (last couple years) -- I used to be able to leave an army of critter pets around town for fun, and they would last days without going wild. If I try that now, they will be wild within a few hours.

I've personally trained a good 50+ pets, and our guild probably has several hundred trained pets in total, and never had a pet go wild that wasn't our fault (forgetting to feed, etc.). So if there is a bug, then it is extremely rare and requires a very specific circumstances to occur.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

And when are you going to let Rams, Skrees, Ki Rins, Dread Spiders 1 slot lower so people can use more pet types?
Keeping bleak focused on the issue at hand instead of off on tangents would be more beneficial to the community right now.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That sucks Mal, very sorry to hear that. If I run across one I'll grab it for you.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Is the LOS check suppose to be the same 1 hour timer? That is the only loyalty check other than command loyalty checks?

Our guild has tried to recreate this bug on several occasions and have been unable to, other than one time a pet in destard that was placed in combat out of los for 10 minutes dropped 3 loyalty ratings, we were unable to replicate it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thanks Aibal that's very sweet of you... I was so depressed... but I met up with Bleak we tested a few things and I showed him exactly where I was when this occurred... so there is some hope.

I just don't get why he didn't even say he was better off without me... I don't recall seeing that message at all.... so that was strange just one second he was green next gray... ... But we are hopefully one step closer to some solution...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If it's a line of sight issue, it's like the "tree falling in the forest" debate - without LOS you won't SEE the message if the pet gives it, as you can't see pet messages from a pet you can't "see" from the character viewpoint (even though you as a player can see it), any more than you can see speech/emotes from a PC/NPC that you can see on the screen, but do not have combat LOS to. It's one of the reasons the devs and EMs occasionally use farspeakers for in-game meetups, because they are standing where people cannot see their speech.

One of the oddities of the game.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Weird because I was standing RIGHT behind my pet... within a tile... I can't imagine him not being able to see me...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If it's a line of sight issue, it's like the "tree falling in the forest" debate - without LOS you won't SEE the message if the pet gives it, as you can't see pet messages from a pet you can't "see" from the character viewpoint
She said:

I was not hiding. I was right next to him. Well behind him... As I usually am...
I spend a lot of time there. You cant hide while using consume.

Ive had pets in the pits for hours without any checking on them. They never go wild.

But I would be happy if Bleak wants to get rid of pets going wild for any reason.

@Bleak Does the game really need pets going wild? Many people have returned to the game since the pet revamp. Why have things in the game that serve no purpose other than problems for players. Pets should be tamed until released. You can stop the process at Rather Happy so an abused pet wont mind.

whitesmith

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Aye
Just make the pet not obey commands, possibly walk away, until hugged and kissed... Or fed I guess

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Thanks Aibal that's very sweet of you... I was so depressed... but I met up with Bleak we tested a few things and I showed him exactly where I was when this occurred... so there is some hope.

I just don't get why he didn't even say he was better off without me... I don't recall seeing that message at all.... so that was strange just one second he was green next gray... ... But we are hopefully one step closer to some solution...
I'm glad Bleak took the time to look into this with you. While I've never had this happen to me, if there is a bug out there it really needs to get squashed.

TheFarg

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hey, we met the other day at the crazed mage when Bleak was with you. I managed to find a blue one while I was training pets on hiryus/lesser hiryus. It's a hiryu though not a lesser. You were looking for a lesser right? I don't remember. Let me know

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah I need a blue lesser... Which took forever to spawn one... still sad over that but it is what it is...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Seriously appreciate it... Spent most the evening on Thursday trying to spawn one must have killed 1k of the things didn't spawn one. But I'll keep trying. I know it took weeks to get the first one.

Killed those things so much I almost forgot why I was still doing it when one finally spawned.

whitesmith

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Bleak

This may or may not have something to do with pets gone wild... :grin:

After re taming a pet, while training resist on it...
Pet went grey
Followed by "you can't perform negative actions..."
Followed by "you have too many pets guarding you..." with "all guard me"

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well after days and days of killing Lesser Hiryu here it is... finally got a replacement for my lost one:

upload_2018-2-20_13-21-14.png

If this one goes randomly wild I will cry.