• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pet Training - Strength

Biazen

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Hi everyone. I need some clarification on training pets and adding strength. Since I started to train, I thought that maxing strength, maxed the damage output of the pet. After looking through the completed pet thread, I see a lot of pets under, and some considerably under 700 STR. Does STR affect all pet damage? Certain pets?
Any clarification would be great.

Thanks

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Some are under 700 because their other stats didn't allow it (i.e. they have INT high as a base stat, such as the Giant Beetle with a base of 500).

Beyond that, some people spent points early on that they didn't know the effects of (I.E. where STR no longer affected HP, and INT no longer affected Mana once training began)

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Str is a pure damage modifier. It affects the melee damage more than anything else you can give your pet, with maybe the exception of Stamina for swing speed at 13 points.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ya there was a phase here where people were adding Intel instead of 700 STR. Those poor weak pets...

Put str to 700! Only beetles cant get to 700.

Biazen

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for the replies everyone. Glad I was on track. Are all pets melee? Are there any caster pets that STR does not affect? Or, basically all pets melee?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks for the replies everyone. Glad I was on track. Are all pets melee? Are there any caster pets that STR does not affect? Or, basically all pets melee?
Pets are melee with spells. Int does not make the spells stronger. Pets started using spells at a distance but the Devs changed it.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One pet I rarely put 700 str on is a Ossien ram that I put scrolls on. If you take the necro route with one, it ends up so low on HP that it is useless if you up the str to 700. This one is still a useful pet (Actually very good in some situations) and still pulls big hits but had I gone 700 str and lower HP it would have been pretty much useless. As it is he is actually one of my main pets for farming specific things.

DR1.png DR6.png

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That is why I say they need more points!