• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Forgot to lock down chest...

Citizenbushido

Adventurer
A few hours ago I was cleaning up & moving boxes/chests around in my house. Wife and kids get home, kids are screaming, the wife is telling me to do the dishes. I get up from the pc & didn't check to make sure I locked everything down.

I probably lost $800.00 in stuff. due to me forgetting to lock the box down.

At least 30 nearly full soulstones.
Probably used 5 Mythic tokens.
A ton of in-store items
Rares that I had recently purchased.

My question & I'm only asking because I don't know. (i suspect not, but I'm going to ask anyway)
Is there any chance of me getting my soulstones back? I realize that I cant get back rares, or any of that other stuff I purchased. However, since Broadsword can see my recent in-game purchases I was wondering if there is any chance of me getting those replaced?

I've really enjoyed playing UO again over the last 6 months & have dumped a lot of money into the game. I realize that this is my fault & it's like a gut punch. Do any of you have any experience with an accident like this?

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Unfortunately... no, they are gone for good. Items are only replaced when they were lost due to a problem in the game itself like a shard transfer deleting itself for no reason.

Since all that happened in this case was accidentally forgetting to press a button, nothing went wrong with the game, so they can't replace any of the items.

Really sorry to hear you lost so much stuff though :(

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
if it makes it any easier ive lost my entire soulstone collection...... twice!

its a bitter bloody pill to swallow isn't it!
on the third time i locked them down and im never touching those bastards again!!!!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just replied to the FB post and while the reply won't help now or take the sting out of it, I left some tips to maybe help not lose stones in the future :)

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can't imagine it would take too much extra coding so that when an item decays while inside a house it gets transferred to the moving crate. I am certain this happens often enough that it would be an appreciated way to recover from these kinds of mistakes.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't imagine it would take too much extra coding so that when an item decays while inside a house it gets transferred to the moving crate. I am certain this happens often enough that it would be an appreciated way to recover from these kinds of mistakes.
This is a very bad idea, i have a public rune-library, and i can imagine my moving crate getting filled rahter quicky.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
A few hours ago I was cleaning up & moving boxes/chests around in my house. Wife and kids get home, kids are screaming, the wife is telling me to do the dishes. I get up from the pc & didn't check to make sure I locked everything down.
Not judging, but from personal experience, if you're ever in a scenario like you've described above it's best to just not be playing video games at all. Wife out with kids, dishes to be done, and you're dinking around on the PC. Never a good look...

Again, coming from someone that's done the same thing...

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
This is a very bad idea, i have a public rune-library, and i can imagine my moving crate getting filled rahter quicky.
Well then it should go into a separate temporary storage (recycle bin...) that doesn't increase lockdown count and gets deleted 7 days later to at least give people a chance to fix their mistakes.

Don't shoot down good ideas just because it doesn't work for your specific case...

Citizenbushido

Adventurer
I was thinking/hoping that they had a id number or could see that I had used them.

The big question for me is, Why do they even allow store-bought items to decay?

Thank you for the replies it gives me some comfort to know that I'm not the first to have an accident like this.

North_LS

Journeyman
they absolutely have an ID number, the question is whether or not the staff will restore them for you - i'd say in most cases the answer would be no. however, i wouldn't let that stop me from putting in a support request. worst they can say is no. perhaps since soulstones are account bound they'll make an exception.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The big question for me is, Why do they even allow store-bought items to decay?
UO players are used to swallow a lot. Over the last 20 years there were a ton of bugs way more devasting than yourself forgetting to lock down a valuable box. So people are very used to work around some annoyances and double-checking this stuff.

This on the other hand makes it easy for BS to not add a safety net. Cause players are rather going to point out its all your fault than question why they didn't add something like "soultstones to bank" while they apparently had enough time to add totally unused things like refinements or the like.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I would guess the main problem with restoring items is they have no way to even do it! I really doubt there is any record of things that decay after they are gone - "that item decayed, let's hard delete it permanently like it never existing to save on resources". They would have to restore the shard to a test server then check and that's just not going to happen. :(

As petemage sage, some of these safety checks are no brainers and seemingly simple to implement... it would be nice if they took some time and asked the playerbase for their ideas on QoL improvements and did and dedicated a patch to it. The account gold merge was a huge QoL improvement. We need more of things like that.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone know if there is a chance these items turned up in the cavern of the discarded? If so, perhaps the soulstones were recovered by others on your shard and you can get them back.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Has to be trashcan and even then it's 1% chance. That's a neat mechanic they added though. I wonder why they don't use something similar to send RMT/Vet stuff to bank boxes.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
So sorry to read this Citizenbushido! Such a horrible scenario that we can almost feel the gut punch just reading this! :(

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am so sorry for the loss sugar, I understand RL came in like gangbusters and had you up and running to do what was needed.
Your not the first or the last to do this... your in a very well named club.
RL matters game is dead last but it does cost...
Rule one when this comes up and you can run this by the family... I need 2 minutes to close this down I am not snubbing you or passing off what you say but to get up can cost me my time and money I do not wish to loose. Then go make sure all locked down, packies stabled, and items ok to log off

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Rule one should be to do the dishes before playing or better, be out with the family in the first place. Kids yelling as they come through the door sounds like a nightmare for any one person to deal with while their partner sits on the computer. Again, coming from someone that's lost two good wives because he'd rather be playing than going out.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lore good wives know when their hubby is in the mood to go out ...
You plan those days.
My hubby was the kind that liked to be home there was no UO or computer to take his attention.
His years of going to clubs and having a night out were well behind him.
Our life cant be compaired to yours but UO comes last hun.. but I do feel the family can offer him 2 minute to close the account down before the bedlam rolls him over.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well then it should go into a separate temporary storage (recycle bin...) that doesn't increase lockdown count and gets deleted 7 days later to at least give people a chance to fix their mistakes.

Don't shoot down good ideas just because it doesn't work for your specific case...
You need to think alot bigger, how many public houses, libraries and shops do you think will be affected by this ?
I do feel sorry for everyone who has lost stuff due to forgetting to securing their stuff for whatever reason there might have been.
The DEVS and even mesanna could do alot to protect us from our own mistakes.
Adding another secure container dosen't really solve the problem either.
If you forget to lock your'e bike, and it gets stolen, do you then blame the DEVs who invented your'e bike, for not adding a GPS tracker in it ?
I think the housing system works fairly well, and i hope they wont mess with it, coz we all know what could happend if they did.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
You need to think alot bigger, how many public houses, libraries and shops do you think will be affected by this ?
Do I? I realize that ones and zeros are really scary for some of you... but we're talking about a pretty insignificant amount of data. Giving an item a lifespan of 7 days in a temporary storage when it decays inside a house really does very little to affect the overall item count on a server once you ramp up to the first 7 days, because then things start rolling off and getting deleted permanently.

Adding another secure container absolutely solves the problem the OP had...

Your analogies are lame. This is a game - not life. How about we try to make it enjoyable instead of trying to teach people life lessons with it.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Rule one should be to do the dishes before playing or better, be out with the family in the first place. Kids yelling as they come through the door sounds like a nightmare for any one person to deal with while their partner sits on the computer. Again, coming from someone that's lost two good wives because he'd rather be playing than going out.
You're projecting a lot of your own experiences onto someone you don't even know, or know anything about their situation.

Maybe he just got home from work and wanted to relax for a few minutes.
Maybe he just cleaned and swept the entire house that morning and was saving the dishes for later.
Maybe he was just being a lazy gaming addict like most of us.
Maybe it doesn't matter because it's not your role to tell people what their priorities should be...

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry man, that sucks. When I started playing the game, I (stupidly...should have sat on them), burned all my anniversary gifts on soulstones. What I DIDN'T realize one day, is that I'd exceeded the storage capacity of my small shack when i was moving things around and adding some chests. When you exceed capacity, the game "adjusts" things to get it right for you. You guessed it, the game got me back to storage capacity by deleting the chest that had my soulstones in it. Not as many as you, but still somewhere around 15, most filled. I didn't play for a couple months after that. :(

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you forget to lock your'e bike, and it gets stolen, do you then blame the DEVs who invented your'e bike, for not adding a GPS tracker in it ?

[...] i hope they wont mess with it, coz we all know what could happend if they did.
How about another analogy:

There is a bridge without any railing. Every year a dozen of people fall off of it. Half of them recover, half of them are never seen again. The local governor knows of this but denies there is anything the town can do about it. Meanwhile he has even saved people himself by running to the bridge and bewaring them from falling of. The citizens as well blame the victims and don't question the governor, saying things like "Bridges have always been dangerous!", "You should never cross that bridge at night" or "Why did you even use that bridge and not the other?".

Of course, they could also simply add a railing..

I totally agree with the last point though ;)

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
It takes a story of some friend in the military for that stunt... ;)
Ya it's not fair of me to comment without knowing the whole story. But I think one could be under fire in Afghanistan and still get email on your phone these days. Plus a house doesn't drop over night. It takes months and months for a house to fall. It was a little bit shady even with good intentions at best. The 3 month thing was put in place specifically and strictly to deal with the military issue.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do I? I realize that ones and zeros are really scary for some of you... but we're talking about a pretty insignificant amount of data. Giving an item a lifespan of 7 days in a temporary storage when it decays inside a house really does very little to affect the overall item count on a server once you ramp up to the first 7 days, because then things start rolling off and getting deleted permanently.

Adding another secure container absolutely solves the problem the OP had...

Your analogies are lame. This is a game - not life. How about we try to make it enjoyable instead of trying to teach people life lessons with it.
Yes it's very lame, because you have to use your'e brain RL, and you wan't a babysitter when you play online games.
I do not wish to have additional storage i have to clean up in, nor do i wish to clean my moving crate on a regular basis, i have 20 vendors to attend to.
I'm 200% sure that if EA hired 3000 GM, and everytime someone dropped something on the ground they should popup, and tell the person that he dropped some stuff on the floor, they should also follow people around and correct every mistake they would make.
That would also SOLVE the problem OP has, and proberly many others, but its NOT the right solution, neither is the one you suggest.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Yes it's very lame, because you have to use your'e brain RL, and you wan't a babysitter when you play online games.
I do not wish to have additional storage i have to clean up in, nor do i wish to clean my moving crate on a regular basis, i have 20 vendors to attend to.
I'm 200% sure that if EA hired 3000 GM, and everytime someone dropped something on the ground they should popup, and tell the person that he dropped some stuff on the floor, they should also follow people around and correct every mistake they would make.
That would also SOLVE the problem OP has, and proberly many others, but its NOT the right solution, neither is the one you suggest.
Do you understand what the word temporary means - or what happens to items with the "lifespan" tag? I'm not saying you have to clean up anything...

Reading Comprehension.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Brutal. Sorry for your loss.

Soulstones should be to tied to accounts via GUI /Paperdoll or Skill Window so there is never any chance of losing them.

This should have been implemented on day of their release.
Pretty much what I said some time ago. Buy a legacy token absorb a stone into your character, useable from the context menu.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How about another analogy:

There is a bridge without any railing. Every year a dozen of people fall off of it. Half of them recover, half of them are never seen again. The local governor knows of this but denies there is anything the town can do about it. Meanwhile he has even saved people himself by running to the bridge and bewaring them from falling of. The citizens as well blame the victims and don't question the governor, saying things like "Bridges have always been dangerous!", "You should never cross that bridge at night" or "Why did you even use that bridge and not the other?".

Of course, they could also simply add a railing..

I totally agree with the last point though ;)
People could choose not to cross the bridge, like people could choose to check if their stuff is secured before they logout.
You're story is good, but falls out of context.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you understand what the word temporary means - or what happens to items with the "lifespan" tag? I'm not saying you have to clean up anything...

Reading Comprehension.
I know it's hard to think big, and see the larger picture.
In your'e wildest dreams, don't you think TEMPORARY UNLIMITED SPACE for 7 DAYS, will be abused ?
I can think of alot of good uses for it, except random people filling my UNLIMITED SPACE WITH LIFESPAN TAG ON WITH CRAP.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I know it's hard to think big, and see the larger picture.
In your'e wildest dreams, don't you think TEMPORARY UNLIMITED SPACE for 7 DAYS, will be abused ?
I can think of alot of good uses for it, except random people filling my UNLIMITED SPACE WITH LIFESPAN TAG ON WITH CRAP.
Calm down, stop yelling. If people want/need to game the system that badly for storage space then there is a larger issue isn't there?

If people are coming into your shop and loading your temporary space with junk... maybe you've done something to upset them and should self evaluate?

There isn't a wolf under every sheepskin you know.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Calm down, stop yelling. If people want/need to game the system that badly for storage space then there is a larger issue isn't there?

If people are coming into your shop and loading your temporary space with junk... maybe you've done something to upset them and should self evaluate?

In UO anything that can be abused becomes normal game play and will be abused ;) It's just our way.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
People could choose not to cross the bridge, like people could choose to check if their stuff is secured before they logout.
You're story is good, but falls out of context.
Not using the bridge = Not using soulstones altogether. That's no solution. The solution is too add a railing.

Aka a safety net that RMT items from the store could not be lost at all. I find it hard to understand that people argue against that. Just to teach people I don't even know life lessons in a video game?

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Brutal. Sorry for your loss.

Soulstones should be to tied to accounts via GUI /Paperdoll or Skill Window so there is never any chance of losing them.

This should have been implemented on day of their release.
Truer words have never been spoken. They are an account bound item that isn't useful to anyone else. Should just be account bound feature - not item.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not using the bridge = Not using soulstones altogether. That's no solution. The solution is too add a railing.

Aka a safety net that RMT items from the store could not be lost at all. I find it hard to understand that people argue against that. Just to teach people I don't even know life lessons in a video game?
Your'e logic is flawed, it's not about adding a railing in your fantasy story and you know, there are rules witch goes beyond the govenor. It's about choices.
People choose to use a soulstone, and then they choose to put it in their bank box, or they choose to put it on the ground, and so forth.
Noone forces anyone to cross a deadly bridge with no railing, nor does anyone force anyone to dump their soulstones on the ground, it's a choice they make.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I was meerly writhing in the same RUDE manner as you STARTED.
This is about everyone with a PUBLIC HOUSE not just ME, is there ANY part you do NOT understand ?
As i said before if you need a babysitter, maby UO is too complex for you, may i suggest WoW ?
In WoW you can't drop anything on the ground.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What really sucks is when you lock the box down, logout for the night and learn the next day that shortly after you logged out there was a server crash with a revert and that revert hit in the time between you dropping the box and locking it down :)

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What really sucks is when you lock the box down, logout for the night and learn the next day that shortly after you logged out there was a server crash with a revert and that revert hit in the time between you dropping the box and locking it down :)
To this day i'm very cautious with locking things down and will only put stuff into containers that have been locked down for days. I also won't display anything still because i've been burned many times back in the day with the reverts.

Malforce

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
That really sucks, I hope you can rebuild your collection.
I've done this with full BOD books at least 3 times in the last year.
I don't know if the moving crate solution people have suggested could work, but if they could find a way to keep it from being abused or bogging down the servers I'd be for it. But I also understand people's arguments against it, and certainly don't expect it. So I just kick myself the next time I log in and gather BODs and discover that the book has decayed :(
I know how sh*tty that made me feel, so I can only imagine what you're going through.

Truly sorry for your loss (not sarcasm as silly as it sounds!)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To this day i'm very cautious with locking things down and will only put stuff into containers that have been locked down for days. I also won't display anything still because i've been burned many times back in the day with the reverts.
So you lost stuff after AOS launched to :)

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Your'e logic is flawed, it's not about adding a railing in your fantasy story and you know, there are rules witch goes beyond the govenor. It's about choices.
People choose to use a soulstone, and then they choose to put it in their bank box, or they choose to put it on the ground, and so forth.
Noone forces anyone to cross a deadly bridge with no railing, nor does anyone force anyone to dump their soulstones on the ground, it's a choice they make.
I don't get what your intent in this thread is. You are obviously not interested to talk about possible solutions to this reoccuring problem. Are you just here to do some victim-blaming, Mr. never-does-a-mistake? o_O

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yep... I was seriously burned by the AoS... I recall reporting a massive bug here.

I had just finished remodeling my house and was putting all my stuff back (as back then going into deco mode threw all items in the house into the moving crate)... I was almost done had 1 chest left in the crate... it was the chest with all my smithy bod reward hammers... my +60 ash and all my Juka bows... I went to place it on the roof of my house and it didn't place snapped back into the moving crate just as the crate was deleted....... POOF gone... man that hurt.... I just stood there staring at the spot ..... paged a GM asked him if my stuff was retrievable in any way..... he said Nope sorry... and I left it at lesson learned... warned everyone to leave one item that is light and easily placed into your backpack as the LAST item you remove from the crate... that way no one would have to suffer that loss that I did.

Sorry to hear of your loss... it's a harsh lesson for sure.

Sorry mate.....I'd submit a ticket, if you don't ask they can't say yes!

Years back in Star Wars Galaxies I lost all my stocked vendors and items in a house, I submitted a ticket with the knowledge of UO and figured it was a lost cause. I was one overwhelmed puppy when a GM appeared and restored everything!

In UO the loss of things in-game is disheartening, over 20 years you just treat it like a loss with a sporting event, get over it the best you can , regroup and enjoy the game!

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Before AOS, after AOS ........ I have lost tons of stuff in UO!
It was all part of the game back then because the reverts and crashes affected everyone.

One revert I lost 6 singing crystal balls and a crap load of mini houses. I logged on and they were all gone!
Since then I haven't displayed anything of value and store all the good items in the bank.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep... I was seriously burned by the AoS... I recall reporting a massive bug here.

I had just finished remodeling my house and was putting all my stuff back (as back then going into deco mode threw all items in the house into the moving crate)... I was almost done had 1 chest left in the crate... it was the chest with all my smithy bod reward hammers... my +60 ash and all my Juka bows... I went to place it on the roof of my house and it didn't place snapped back into the moving crate just as the crate was deleted....... POOF gone... man that hurt.... I just stood there staring at the spot ..... paged a GM asked him if my stuff was retrievable in any way..... he said Nope sorry... and I left it at lesson learned... warned everyone to leave one item that is light and easily placed into your backpack as the LAST item you remove from the crate... that way no one would have to suffer that loss that I did.

Sorry to hear of your loss... it's a harsh lesson for sure.
What got me after initial release of AOS were the machine gun reverts and crashes. On the bright side there were no soul stones to lose massive amounts of skills with back then :)

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Before AOS, after AOS ........ I have lost tons of stuff in UO!
It was all part of the game back then because the reverts and crashes affected everyone.

One revert I lost 6 singing crystal balls and a crap load of mini houses. I logged on and they were all gone!
Since then I haven't displayed anything of value and store all the good items in the bank.
To me it's pointless to have deco items and rares in the bank. I guess I'll keep rolling the dice.