• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A Giant Beetle

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Giant Beetle - Stratics Community Wiki | Stratics Community Forums

1 => 5 slot

They have a good amount of points. So you can make some combos, but there are limits.

Only Beetles have Rune Corruption. That is one of the best abilities. 50% reduction to all the targets resists. If you are not going to use it, your build would probably work better on a different type pet.

They ALL start like this:

upload_2018-2-15_19-51-16.png

You cant get 700 str because they have 500 int.

upload_2018-2-15_19-52-40.png

They start with low resists so you can make what you want.

upload_2018-2-15_19-53-40.png

They have no natural abilities.

upload_2018-2-15_19-54-24.png

The Special Moves are:

upload_2018-2-15_20-0-28.png

The Special Abilities choices are:

upload_2018-2-15_20-1-39.png

The Magical Abilities are: (Battle defense would show up when wrestling is 100.)

upload_2018-2-15_20-2-44.png

Builds:

If you choose a Magic first, All the good specials go away.
When you choose a special, The only magic choice is poison.

You can choose two specials and poison.

I highly recommend AI and Rune Corruption. You can choose poison if you want.

This is not a natural poison pet, so the poison level only goes to 2.

If you have other builds, please add them to a thread.

Not mine. They start out with really low stats. You need to train them up until the wrestling is high enough to hit things. No hits no gains.

Here is one of the first completed ones on LS.

beetle.png

This thing can turn into a monster. It was our tank at Navrey and it was killing her before we were getting to 25%. It is easy to vet. I never saw its life go down to 90%. We were doing a lot of chatting while training our pets.

He took it to slasher tonight with the community hunt and it did great. Because it starts as 1 slot it gets enough points to make any possible template you desire. He still has spare points on it.

The resists start very low. You can choose which 3 skills you want to set to 80.

You can ride it to a champ spawn and get looting rights and carry 250k gold home.

Needs a lot of patience to train the first stage, but the end result is a great fighting pet.

Thanks D

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't know, but it sure works great for when you give them special moves. Mine rarely runs out of mana despite chaining special moves constantly. I went the same specials as above plus mortal, for fighting magic using mobs that spam GH when they get low on HP, and may work up a spare like the one above for the non-casters.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What would be the stats to upgrade for each level?
1st
resists
dex stam
some more HP
mana tegen
STR

I dont think any of these jump slots. So you can put what you want at any time.

They start with very low wrest and tact. Raise those to at least 80 before you train and training will go faster.

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I hear they are limited in the special moves your can put on them? rune corruption and poisoning?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I hear they are limited in the special moves your can put on them? rune corruption and poisoning?
No.. You can add either AI or something else, then LASLTLY rune corruption, then poison. Not sure but I think they get only one special like AI thats worth it, not sure if another special is possible, Rune Corr is a must, and it needs to be last, then last last is poison. If you took the time to train one I would be very careful not to mess this up, and would first try to put these on TC1 test center first.

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I did train one on Siege... I remember not many options available but the ones you mentioned I have on mine on Siege.... I was just wondering if I did the order wrong and missed some opportunities of other abilities being available

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I did train one on Siege... I remember not many options available but the ones you mentioned I have on mine on Siege.... I was just wondering if I did the order wrong and missed some opportunities of other abilities being available
I would stable one, take it to TC1 and test what skills you can put on it before doing anything on Siege..

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
In my experience, if you fight stuff that heals, Mortal is a useful second after AI.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
In my experience, if you fight stuff that heals, Mortal is a useful second after AI.
Is it possible to add AI, then mortal then corruption then Pisoning? Also RC is useful due to decreasing resists by 50% or stats? thanks

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is it possible to add AI, then mortal then corruption then Pisoning? Also RC is useful due to decreasing resists by 50% or stats? thanks
If a pet has Rune Corruption I would choose that. Other things can get mortal. The Dimetrosaur has it and poisoning.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
AI and Mortal are the same level of ability. IF you pick both first, you can then pick RC and them Poisoning.

If you take RC before you pick the 2 lower abilities, sometimes you lose the ability to take more than 1 of the AI or Mortal level items.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I wonder if adding AI/Mortal/RC is too much moves? also RC is supposed to last only 4 seconds or less? That would be aweful waste..So would be better to add only AI/RC/Poisoning?

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Good morning,for G. beetles Ive found that the best sustained damage per sec ones are the Ai,Rc,poison ones.. if ya add anything else it tends to trip over the the extra move..as it will not try to use RC again if Rc is already up meaning everything is pure armor ignores once that debuff goes up.(well its not that it doesn't use RC once the debuff is up.. but if its already up the mana is refunded..and it returns to the list it might land on Rc again and then roll again.. or it might land on AI 3-5 times back to back.. ) Hope this helps . =^-^=

North_LS

Journeyman
i just trained mine up to 2slot, super excited to finish it. bumping the wrestling to ~85 at 1 slot was a bit tedious, but its paying off. dex/stam is trainable to 125 through combat as well if you want to save a few points.

whitesmith

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Funny I was just thinking about this yesterday, about a fire beetle though.
Ai,Rc,poison ones.. if ya add anything else it tends to trip over the the extra move..as it will not try to use RC again
Having minimum number of moves helps control what... It does.
I was thinking the exact same thing, AI, RC, poison. But would it be worth it to have ... Can't remember the name, the one that brings fire resistance down, along with AI, RC and poison

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Good morning, Whitesmith, When it comes to Pure damage Monster yes its better to have few moves..( these are monster that can't have schools of magic with move then one effect.. like chiv, spellweaving, bush, etc...) When it comes to beetles Rune corruption is the king of debuffing moves.. as it lowers all RS by 50%.. because of this there is no need for any other move that also debuffs.. as it would just choke the rotation.. they would rarely be active at the same time and would cause a mana drain on the pet.. For fire beetles you have the option of aoe with goo, ai,RC, poison.. which makes a killer spawn clearing pet its true that its single target sustain damage does take a hit but in most cases its well worth it... but there are many that make the pure fire Ai, rune poison fire beetles too.. its nice to have the choice.. to put it simple the random number gen that rolls the dice to pick what move lands next has a better chance of landing on those golden combos if there are fewer choices for it to land on.. with beetles if its just AI,RC ,poison.. then its 50/50 it will be one of the 2 as poison procs off melee attacks... and if RC is already up it defaults to roll again... so your mana pool stays high and is not wasted.. truly and very effective pet.. hope this helps mate =^-^=

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You can do without Mortal or any other second special ability, if you routinely fight only non-casters.

Against casters and mobs with healing, Mortal's nice to have. It's one of the reasons that the groups I usually do the roof with like my bringing the beetle.

North_LS

Journeyman
i'm thinking i'm going to go with mortal on mine. things like balron paragons really grind my gears when they go into their endless gheal cycle at redline.

whitesmith

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I am making a cu farmer, think i will skip mortal and do a poison field instead.. for the paragons, regulars would be a piece of cake with AI and RC

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Good morning,for G. beetles Ive found that the best sustained damage per sec ones are the Ai,Rc,poison ones.. if ya add anything else it tends to trip over the the extra move..as it will not try to use RC again if Rc is already up meaning everything is pure armor ignores once that debuff goes up.(well its not that it doesn't use RC once the debuff is up.. but if its already up the mana is refunded..and it returns to the list it might land on Rc again and then roll again.. or it might land on AI 3-5 times back to back.. ) Hope this helps . =^-^=
Thanks Don, as you say here less is more..Appreciate the info.

Falcon

Visitor
I'm about to train up a Giant Beetle for my T-hunter/Tamer. I am thinking that AI loses some of it's value when RC is up so I am planning to go with Mortal Strike, RC, Poisoning. If there is a flaw in this plan, could someone please point it out to me?

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm about to train up a Giant Beetle for my T-hunter/Tamer. I am thinking that AI loses some of it's value when RC is up so I am planning to go with Mortal Strike, RC, Poisoning. If there is a flaw in this plan, could someone please point it out to me?
Like Don said above, the best sustained single target DPS you can get from a beetle is AI + RC + Poison. Nothing wrong with the plan that you are suggesting - just something to be aware of. Also, people get mortal to prevent mobs from healing. Poisoning can accomplish the same goal, admittedly not as well.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
AI with RC is ok, but poison only adds level 1 poison that is bugged presently. You may want to leave a few points available for poisoning, and add poisoning when the devs fix it. If they DO NOT, then, you may want to add the points elsewhere. Its has been like this for 1 year already and not fixed..

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What is the taming requirement for 3 and 4 slots?
You need to get 110 to control the pets. Jewelry is fine. Some pet types go up more per slot than others. And it depends on what you add.

Unless you are just asking for a non tamer. Go to Test center if you can to see what the build you want will require.

Radgar

Visitor
You need to get 110 to control the pets. Jewelry is fine. Some pet types go up more per slot than others. And it depends on what you add.

Unless you are just asking for a non tamer. Go to Test center if you can to see what the build you want will require.
Ah ok, went to test and I see it raises as you add stuff from training. I just came back to UO with a new account so I just have 100 cap. Looks like I need to get 110's to get to 3 slots.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
AI with RC is ok, but poison only adds level 1 poison that is bugged presently. You may want to leave a few points available for poisoning, and add poisoning when the devs fix it. If they DO NOT, then, you may want to add the points elsewhere. Its has been like this for 1 year already and not fixed..
This is being fixed in the current publish.

DeadThing

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
In terms of afordability, 115 Animal Lore and 115 Animal Taming (113 actually seems to be the magic number here, but they don't make "not quite mythical" powerscrolls) will give you the capped control chance for everything (Im pretty sure everything, definitely for 108 req 5 slot pets)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are the new beetles starting out as a 1 slot pet or are they still a 3 slot pet also are the fire beetles the same as the blue bugs in terms of slots?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are the new beetles starting out as a 1 slot pet or are they still a 3 slot pet also are the fire beetles the same as the blue bugs in terms of slots?
Giant and fire start as one slot now.

Radgar

Visitor
In terms of afordability, 115 Animal Lore and 115 Animal Taming (113 actually seems to be the magic number here, but they don't make "not quite mythical" powerscrolls) will give you the capped control chance for everything (Im pretty sure everything, definitely for 108 req 5 slot pets)
Yeah, looking at the stratics calculator, it seems you need 5 taming/lore over the taming requirement to get the capped control chance (113 for 108 req like you say). When I was on test, though, Pinco's UI was showing me a 99% control chance with 110 taming/lore, so I don't know which one is right. When I turned off the enhanced lore gump though the spot for taming requirement was blank, though, so maybe it was miscalculating without the correct requirement value?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
You can do without Mortal or any other second special ability, if you routinely fight only non-casters.

Against casters and mobs with healing, Mortal's nice to have. It's one of the reasons that the groups I usually do the roof with like my bringing the beetle.
Not anymore Im afraid: Now Poisonig GM is trully 100 poison, and will have similar effect on casters plus halt off their spell spamming plus cause significant damage, plus does not take turns in RND move choices. So bets would likely to be just poisoning GM (will proc LP supposedly?) AI,RC and may be Goo. So the changes would free that slot taken by the Mortal..Will have to wait and see pub 100 testing and finalizing, unless theres a quickie ninja change befor it lands I reckon..

DeadThing

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
From personal experience, I was getting commands disobeyed with enough frequency at 110/110 that I had to keep am eye on happiness (on a 108 req). It was still workable of course. Just one more thing to keep an eye on.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yup we all eventually get to 120 taming and lore. Makes consume cost less, gives more stable slots!!!!

MORE PETS!!!

DeadThing

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
*froths*

Yus! 120 in all the things! Although I'm quite pleased I finally got my tamer to 115/115 real skill. Everything further is icing. Tasty icing.

Vohnkar

Visitor
Sorry to rez an old tread, but there is my question:
What a crafter needs in taming/lore skill to be able to control a 2-slots beetle/pet?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sorry to rez an old tread, but there is my question:
What a crafter needs in taming/lore skill to be able to control a 2-slots beetle/pet?
Take it to Test Center and have the build planned. Each time you add something you increase the requirement. So do not add an attribute twice. If you just add one thing the requirement will be lower. Your planned build determines exact requirement.

Vohnkar

Visitor
Take it to Test Center and have the build planned. Each time you add something you increase the requirement. So do not add an attribute twice. If you just add one thing the requirement will be lower. Your planned build determines exact requirement.
Thanks for the tip, much appreciated!