• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Taming Mastery Spells...

Finegold

Journeyman
Why is consume damage so great? I have tried it, and it doesnt seem to do anything but drain my mana. Not sure how much mana gen i have but I think like 20? Ive read the notes on it, but would love to hear from people that love it... and why.

Also... do you use any of the others like beserk, as one...?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Why is consume damage so great? I have tried it, and it doesnt seem to do anything but drain my mana. Not sure how much mana gen i have but I think like 20? Ive read the notes on it, but would love to hear from people that love it... and why.

First it consumes only PHYSICAL damage... If you are fighting something that does damage other than physical save your mana and use berserk...

I think consume is great if you are fighting stuff that does physical damage... otherwise no I don't waste my mana.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran

There's a sweet spot to be able to infinite consume. You need 120 natural taming (the cost per tick goes down as you get higher taming), 28-30MR, 150 Int, and around 35 Med. This should be enough regen to barely keep consume up indefinitely. The more med you have from that point, the more spells you will be able to cast alongside consume.

As MalagAste said, consume only works if your pet is taking physical damage. Anything that is split elemental or pure elemental damage, or magic based, will see very little to no benefit from consume. If you want to test it out in action though, go to Eodon and have your pet fight the T-Rex with and without consume. Since the T-Rex is 100% physical and a hard hitter, you will get an idea of how consume works.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
He left the pincos forum long enough to read and reply here!
What if I have the 120 taming, 150 int, and MR 27. How much meditation would be needed to keep Consume running?

Id like to fit weaving into my template. But I want everything else, so Meditation needs to drop.

upload_2018-1-6_23-44-14.png

Sadly my skills are the same with real or not real. But that means I can put stuff on jewelry. Took since ML came out to get the taming to 120. I just did that recently.

I want 120 Weaving. I experimented with Focus, it didn't work. If mediation is gone, I can have the 120 weaving. But I cant run consume. Also would like Magery to be 120, I finally ate a scroll.

I could put vet and med on ring and bracelet.

Thanks

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
What if I have the 120 taming, 150 int, and MR 27. How much meditation would be needed to keep Consume running?

Id like to fit weaving into my template. But I want everything else, so Meditation needs to drop.

View attachment 76093

Sadly my skills are the same with real or not real. But that means I can put stuff on jewelry. Took since ML came out to get the taming to 120. I just did that recently.

I want 120 Weaving. I experimented with Focus, it didn't work. If mediation is gone, I can have the 120 weaving. But I cant run consume. Also would like Magery to be 120, I finally ate a scroll.

I could put vet and med on ring and bracelet.

Thanks
Elf or Human? The 20 Focus from human JOAT helps out, but isn't required.

If Human: 120 Taming, 150 Int, MR 27, Med 33 Should be enough to barely keep consuming running. You could take Vet/Magery to 120, and add 120 spellweaving, which would be 753 points total. So you'd need only 33 points on jewelry which isn't too bad assuming you don't need a lot of stats on your jewels. If you left vet or magery at 117, you could even do it on one jewel as 15/15 to keep the other one for other stats.

If Elf: 120 Taming, 150 Int, MR 27, Med 46 should be able to keep consume running. You will run into issues here with skill points, as you need 46 points on jewelry, which eats up a lot of imbue on both jewels.

The sweet spot for passive MPS is around 2.07 - 2.08 (Mana Regeneration - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia) to be able to run consume forever, so you can look at the calculator and tweak Med/Focus/MR as needed to get to that spot.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
katalkotl's ring (or however it's spelled) is your friend, for this. 20 points of a casting skill (preferably one you won't ever use the mastery of, in case you ever want to switch), and +10 med. Plus it gives 3 more MR, 5 HPR, and 20% SDI.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If Human: 120 Taming, 150 Int, MR 27, Med 33 Should be enough to barely keep consuming running. You could take Vet/Magery to 120, and add 120 spellweaving, which would be 753 points total. So you'd need only 33 points on jewelry which isn't too bad assuming you don't need a lot of stats on your jewels. If you left vet or magery at 117, you could even do it on one jewel as 15/15 to keep the other one for other stats.
Cool. He is human.

Im fine with vet at 115. Its been there forever.

Also since my Weaving is only 90ish, I can try the setup when I have time.

I tried 100 Focus without Meditation and he could not keep Consume going for long at all.

Thanks!!!

Just Noticed I did not include my shadow cloak. I have 1 more MR. That puts me at a better spot Maybe!

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I didnt count my gloves so i have 32 MR. Got my weaving to 120. Now I can kill more stuff with my spells.

Does this look good? Or did I do something wrong? Im in tree form.

upload_2018-1-9_18-54-1.png

My meditation is 10 (+10 on ring). I guess I can get rid of that and get points in something else.