• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Best pet for 1st time doing new training

Tectop

Journeyman
I see a lot of tamers with Cu's ,lessers, nightmares . What would be a good pet pic for 1st time going through the new taming system and skills to apply to it? Main use for this pet would be Roof and spawns
Thanks in advance.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If it's for the roof, I would tend to favor the cold drake for a first time training. They have overcapped wrestling and tactics, can fly for belfry, have a decent damage profile and are pretty cheap to buy or free with doing a level 6 tmap.

Fake Problems

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
If it's for the roof, I would tend to favor the cold drake for a first time training. They have overcapped wrestling and tactics, can fly for belfry, have a decent damage profile and are pretty cheap to buy or free with doing a level 6 tmap.
I'm interested in trying a Cold Drake out. How would you recommend building it, and how many slots?

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm interested in trying a Cold Drake out. How would you recommend building it, and how many slots?
They start as three slot can be trained to 5. Pawain's thread on CU type animals is a decent jumpoff point of how to base build them.

30 mana regen, 700 str, 150 stam/dex.

They can have any of the true magics (magery/chiv/spellweaving/mysticism) and discord.

For something like the roof, I would probably pick Chiv and then Armor Ignore. the 120 chiv scroll is a couple million, but if you sare on a smaller server might be able to get one for free. I have a mysticism/ai that i used up there too.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They start as three slot can be trained to 5. Pawain's thread on CU type animals is a decent jumpoff point of how to base build them.

30 mana regen, 700 str, 150 stam/dex.

They can have any of the true magics (magery/chiv/spellweaving/mysticism) and discord.

For something like the roof, I would probably pick Chiv and then Armor Ignore. the 120 chiv scroll is a couple million, but if you sare on a smaller server might be able to get one for free. I have a mysticism/ai that i used up there too.
I have that waiting in line. Its almost a black color.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have that waiting in line. Its almost a black color.
If you like colors, have almost every color of the frost dragons, and probably the cold drakes too. All 50 plus of them. Mysticism/ai drake is almost black in color. The Chiv is a pretty blue. I have a couple beautiful purple ones I'm waiting to train up.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you like colors, have almost every color of the frost dragons, and probably the cold drakes too. All 50 plus of them. Mysticism/ai drake is almost black in color. The Chiv is a pretty blue. I have a couple beautiful purple ones I'm waiting to train up.
Too many colors. First I liked the lighter hues, now I'm liking the darker ones. Ill get it built and post a pic with it soon. You can tell me what color it really is. :)

I'm trying to get the Reptalon up to 100 Chiv. 92.6 now. Also got 4 of the new Cus to 100 magic resist today.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
A good pet to play with when learning how to take something from 1 or 2 slots to 5 is a giant beetle. They are an excellent pet for resource gathering, T-hunting/Fishing, and doing end of spawn/boss cleanup (I can typically fully load a beetle with gold on the Shadowguard Roof - that's 240k gold plus whatever gold and loot on myself). The "mount is fatigued" issue with beetles (starts at around 1/4 capacity on untrained) disappears as you increase its strength, to where you can eventually run without fatigue on a fully loaded beetle.

Tectop

Journeyman
Cool didn't think about a beetle. Also wondering about nightmares I have a couple in stables from years ago didn't know if they're worth messing with a not

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Cool didn't think about a beetle. Also wondering about nightmares I have a couple in stables from years ago didn't know if they're worth messing with a not
Your Nightmares are probably the best pet you have in there. What shard are you on. You should find someone that knows about the tamer revamp to look at what you have.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Your Nightmares are probably the best pet you have in there. What shard are you on. You should find someone that knows about the tamer revamp to look at what you have.
I would not train the nightmare first. What you think you want might not be what ends up working best for you, and the old nightmares are irreplaceable.