• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Spellcasting on EC

Cady

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I've tried a few times, here n there, over the years, to figure out how to set up a spellcasting character on Enhanced Client. It seems I changed from auto-queuing and targeting the current target only, to it letting me choose when to let the spell go on the last target using my mousewheel, great. When set to the latter, my preference, there's a BIG delay before I can cast another spell, 2/6 casting, there should rly be no delay between spells. I'm not getting the 'you have not recovered from casting a spell' message, it's just a delay. If I target, then immediately try casting another spell, nothing happens, no message, I have to wait a hair and press my spell hotkey again. I know this has to be a setting somewhere, I'm not understanding why it would work this way, ever, at all, but oh well. I've perused the option menus and can't find the checkbox to get the casting to be like I would expect it to be running UOAssist. If someone could kindly point me to the option to make spellcasting unretarded, I will give their Paperdoll a big, sloppy kiss on the butt.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've tried a few times, here n there, over the years, to figure out how to set up a spellcasting character on Enhanced Client. It seems I changed from auto-queuing and targeting the current target only, to it letting me choose when to let the spell go on the last target using my mousewheel, great. When set to the latter, my preference, there's a BIG delay before I can cast another spell, 2/6 casting, there should rly be no delay between spells. I'm not getting the 'you have not recovered from casting a spell' message, it's just a delay. If I target, then immediately try casting another spell, nothing happens, no message, I have to wait a hair and press my spell hotkey again. I know this has to be a setting somewhere, I'm not understanding why it would work this way, ever, at all, but oh well. I've perused the option menus and can't find the checkbox to get the casting to be like I would expect it to be running UOAssist. If someone could kindly point me to the option to make spellcasting unretarded, I will give their Paperdoll a big, sloppy kiss on the butt.
Unfortunatly I can't help you with the delay issue, however I must ask... how do you get the paper doll to show you their butt? Can you rotate the character on ec?

afk

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I get this a lot in the EC, one thing i frequently get is the spell not casting and the variable time it seems to take spells to cast,For example recall regularly takes between 3-5 seconds to cast. My guess, is that is not the client that is the problem.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I get this a lot in the EC, one thing i frequently get is the spell not casting and the variable time it seems to take spells to cast,For example recall regularly takes between 3-5 seconds to cast. My guess, is that is not the client that is the problem.
It probably is the ckient though, and there are other reports that it is quite clunky, and also laggy with gatherings etc. I guess this has been a problem for some time....

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you are using the EC for PvP do not use pinco's UI. Pinco's UI is great and all, but it is mainly geared towards pve and crafting. It just bogs everything down when you are trying to be fast and competitive. Might be the cause of your casting issues too.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello,

This issue was first demonstrated by myself back in 2011.0-1min45

In light on Giggle's response I just tested it on the defult UI and the issue does still remain. This is the sole reason mages prefer to use Classic Client (other than for aesthetics) This is currently just the way the client behaves, i really don't know why. If you want fast casting, you must have it on auto. I know it's no good for pro mages.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To be honest, I'm not really rooting for it to be fixed, I like the look of the Classic Client, If they fix this issue, i will have no reason to use CC as there will be only disadvantages to using it. Although granted, there should also be some sort of similar drawback for dexxers to use the EC, as currently there are only advantages for dexxers (able to run faster and change weap/suits insta) and no disadvantages.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I have the casting bar showing, so I know I can't cast again until it gets to the end.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yeah it's a very subtle problem for pvpers, it's not an issue for pvm. It's a high end mage pvp issue.

ziox

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think you are talking about ghost spell casting... That bug is a part of uo for so many years and we are used to play with.
Fix it would be probly an bad thing for sure.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if you're talking about overcasting that affects the CC too, it is not the same issue, please see video demo

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a reason Mages don't use EC.
To my knowledge there is no fix.

It has been liveable with up until now to be fair, but now it seems the Devs have decided to kill off the Mages rather than fix EC.

(Edit - And what has upset me most I think, since my posts on these forums since April, trying to point this out for Mages, is no players seem to care anymore, it's like they don't even know or care what Mages were, they've been forgotten. :( So with the Devs or the players not caring, things have moved on, there is no chance).

Dexxers are currently destroying everything with their advantages in EC, and tbh, Mages have the option to try and get by in EC, or quit.

(Edit2 - the PvP changes where they tried to make all Mages into weapon Mages (Quasi Dexxers) were the nail in the coffin, making Lethal Poison on Dexxers so impossible to cure, EC's suit changing ability, weapon switching ability, running through tree's ability and many more.)

I've quit PvP for the moment, I won't continue down the current path of making everything a Dexxer.
Not logged in for a month or so now.

Last edited:

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, there is a bug fix due to come up, maybe someone can try and explain it to the devs. The issue is related to the way the EC casts, on CC, if you hold the key down, it will try and cast the spell multiple times, on EC, it will not do this. Someone once told me this is where the slow faster cast recovery issue comes from.

Cady

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Oh well, i was hoping I was just missing something, but yea, casting is screwed. So EC looks bad, and plays bad, I was hoping I'd get it set up and be able to keep up with other players cutting those corners in VvV towns. Even worse than the speed advantage while turning, when the other player looks like he's maybe four tiles away and you let your spell go and it says 'target to too far away', and when it looks like you're standing right next to another player who's using EC, but you're not swinging your melee wep bc they're not on the tile they appear to be. EC is becoming more and more popular for pvp, and that's too bad. The disparity between the clients shouldn't exist and issues like EC players' positions being misrepresented to CC users needs to be FIXED.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they made the running speeds the same on both clients, it would not be an issue

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you are using the EC for PvP do not use pinco's UI. Pinco's UI is great and all, but it is mainly geared towards pve and crafting. It just bogs everything down when you are trying to be fast and competitive. Might be the cause of your casting issues too.
Only noobs use EC in pvp

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only noobs use EC in pvp
This certainly used to be the case.
CC took more skill, and played in a better style.

These days EC is like giving a 6yr old a formula 1 racing car, and asking Lewis Hamilton to beat him in a pedal go-cart.
Everyone is switching to EC to play Dexxers now, it's easywin mode.

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This certainly used to be the case.
CC took more skill, and played in a better style.

These days EC is like giving a 6yr old a formula 1 racing car, and asking Lewis Hamilton to beat him in a pedal go-cart.
Everyone is switching to EC to play Dexxers now, it's easywin mode.
Yea its so awesome, hey lets make EC super hax so people will be forced to convert. Honestly, I can see why people speed hack.. prolly still not as fast as those EC kids.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well I dunno, I don't have casting issues on my mages. Regular EC, plus LEGACY targeting (dont use EC targeting), and a mouse wheel macro for cursor target self and cursor target last.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter