• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

depopulation of my shard [solution]

Julias Edo

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I want to prevent depopulation of my shard.
Why do people gather at the Atlantic Shard?
old thread
depopulation of my shard

Thank you all for your many opinions.

next

Ideas, activities, actions for solutions to prevent depopulation and increase population.
Please tell me your opinion.

I am pleased if you can refer to it with a lot of depopulating and troubling shards.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the only thing that will stop it is to end transfers period. Some of us stick to our home shards no matter what. While I like to hop around and play a year here and 6 months there, I always go back to legends and always keep atleast one house and a castle on legends. But to stop people from migrating to Atlantic It is either end transfers or make everything of any value shard bound.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
solutions to prevent depopulation and increase population
This has been discussed for years and no vialble solution has been found. Basically you can categorize any solution into the following two criterias:

1. The solution is not viable/unrealistic/far fetched. Prime example: Polish the NPE, the client & put it on steam -> millions of new players will sub and stay. Shards will be bustling with activity. Problem solved.

2.The community does not want to hear that solution, often ending in death threats against fellow forum members, the devs or death sentence for UO as a whole. Prime example: Merge all shards into at max. one shard per region or maybe even less. -> Less space = shards will be (somewhat) crowded again. Problem solved.

I don't wanna sound negative, but good luck with this thread. I honestly don't expect any serious outcome. (I wouldn't mind at all if you prove me wrong ;))

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
IMO the main two reasons people leave shards other than Atlantic (SOTA) are economy and lack of people to play with.
I think lack of people to play with is a lesser of the two problems. Many denizens of SOTAs like the fact that it's easier to hunt when there are no crowds around. And while there are fewer people, the communities are often tighter. You won't find a group every time you play, but you will get it often enough, and will appreciate companionship that much more.

Economy (lack of) though is the big killer of SOTAs. And economy is dead not so much due to low pop, but because of Shard shields and weekly vendor fees. Shard shields make a giant sucking sound [(c)Ross Perot] while removing everything of value from the shard. Weekly vendor fees make selling anything a losing (in a literal financial sense) proposition. When it takes 2 months or longer for a fairly priced item to sell, there is no way to price it so that it would make sense to both the buyer and the seller. This disproportionately affects returning and new players because they are less likely to have shard shields or have friends with shard shields. Thus, you have these players who are unable to sell their loot, or buy what they need. Some of them move to Atlantic. Many of them leave UO.

How to fix this? There are a couple of ideas that have been suggested:
1. Taking away shard shields will alienate many existing players - not a good solution.
2. Making everything shard bound. I am afraid that horse has left the stable. On many SOTAs the population is low enough that you need access to a bigger market in order to be able to buy some of the rare items. A specific mastery III might take years to farm, and the times when this was acceptable are long gone. So I think stopping cross shard trading at this stage would make things worse, not better.
3. What I think would help quite a bit:
a. Switch weekly vendor fees to a point of sale fees. Make them reasonable, otherwise you will keep commerce just as dead as it is now. Inflation is a far lesser evil here, so if you need gold sinks, make them elsewhere. If you are concerned about people using vendors for storage, look at any other MMO that has figured out this problem. Oh, and auction safes without search function are not a solution. People don't want to spend their precious game time manually sifting through the offerings.
b. Make cross shard trading open to every paying customer. Ideally, make a central trading hub/AH. A less developer-demanding solution is to give everyone monthly shopping passes to the shard of their choice. Whatever income will be lost on transfer tokens will be more than made up on the subs that are not lost.

SwordofExcalibur

One of the last Rangers of Skara Brae
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Endless Journey is coming in a few months. Don't forget.

FTP should bring back a swell of some people.

Still though, the game is dated, pretty buggy, slow, and clunky, so not sure what you'd expect, really.

I came back for the nostalgia, but I'm even a bit mortified when I play and things screw up. LOTS of things need an overhaul. It's still pretty fun. I have my cursing fits once daily though.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sad to say and I don't want to be the "Debbie Downer"... but lets face it...:

The game is ancient and has HORRIBLE Graphics no matter what client people chose.
The game is full of bugs, from the it's fel no it's tram, no it's fel... to trading crash, lag spikes, big issues with the EC that are honestly GAME BREAKING... that sill are NOT fixed... like looting public corpses and taking over 1 min to die...
The game as a HUGE learning curve, lacks any NPE... and many other daunting things facing new seriously new players... not to mention the economy...
The player base isn't exactly welcoming much of the time... from calling folk a "newb" and such to telling them to F off and dozens of other things not to mention there are still tons of folk ready to scam and cheat them... and then there is the multishard bot gold spammer...
Cheaters feel that it's not cheating if no one ever gets banned for it so cheating is RAMPANT... from using unapproved 3rd party programs to running scripts, hacks and everything else under the sun... this is a MAJOR turn off to many former players... coming back and seeing it's still rampantly abused won't help.
Getting in-game assistance is next to impossible... paging a GM can take ages for a response... asking for help in Gen chat results in ..... yep... bad attitude from fellow players... not really good for welcoming new folk...

We seem to be our worst enemy... and even the best of us who are very helpful and kind and such to new players can NOT be around 24/7... on every shard...

I once suggested that instead of "merging" shards... what they need to do is build a facet that acts like a hub with moongates to Britain or somewhere like that on each of the shards... give it NO housing space... just a town and bank if need be... but have it "link" 2, 3, or 4 shards together... pick ones in the same sort of "region"... but leave Atl out of it. If they paired some mid level population shards with a few low ones and such it would work... you could then move freely between the shards... (though I'd say no more than 10 characters on an account per shard) this would allow people to get together and have more folk, more space and more housing... balancing things out and allow larger groups and guilds to band together or whatever... but it would give far more people to play... the Gen Chat and vendor search would be per hub... not per shard... this way 4 shards could be like one hub... Anyway it's a thought but I'm told it'll never happen. I could see shard to shard contests held and perhaps there could be shard to shard Fel Faction type things going on... with a Fel version of the hub for reds and instead of a town the hub in Fel would be 4 bases... EM's of each shard would then be able to work together to provide more events thoughout the weeks and all.... and there could be all sorts of fun things going on... just my thoughts... but you know.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
My idea was that for every consecutive month you play you get 2 or 3 months added to you account age. This would get shard shields faster, but not instant, and encourage people not to do the buy one month get 3 free deal. It would go a long way to making the game a universal shard and at least it's something to address the buy one month get 3 free thing. 14 years to get anything is kinda crazy imho. Paying like 40 bucks to go to Atlantic and back is nuts too, it's the biggest rip off in video games I can imagine. You can buy a 14 year account cheaper than buying transfer tokens regularly lol

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sad to say and I don't want to be the "Debbie Downer"... but lets face it...:

The game is ancient and has HORRIBLE Graphics no matter what client people chose.
True, but for many gamplay beats graphics, which is why most of us are still here.
The game is full of bugs, from the it's fel no it's tram, no it's fel... to trading crash, lag spikes, big issues with the EC that are honestly GAME BREAKING... that sill are NOT fixed... like looting public corpses and taking over 1 min to die...
Such complaints are unfortunately common to almost any MMO out there.
The game as a HUGE learning curve, lacks any NPE...
True again. But many players are specifically here because the easy mode of a typical WoW clone gets boring fast. It's not for every one but the complexity is certainly a draw for many.
The player base isn't exactly welcoming much of the time... from calling folk a "newb" and such to telling them to F off and dozens of other things not to mention there are still tons of folk ready to scam and cheat them... and then there is the multishard bot gold spammer...
This is again true for any MMO. However, smaller shards are much more welcoming.
Cheaters feel that it's not cheating if no one ever gets banned for it so cheating is RAMPANT... from using unapproved 3rd party programs to running scripts, hacks and everything else under the sun... this is a MAJOR turn off to many former players... coming back and seeing it's still rampantly abused won't help.
Getting in-game assistance is next to impossible... paging a GM can take ages for a response... asking for help in Gen chat results in ..... yep... bad attitude from fellow players... not really good for welcoming new folk...
This is common for many older MMOs with limited budgets and many of the newer ones, for that matter.

I once suggested that instead of "merging" shards... what they need to do is build a facet that acts like a hub with moongates to Britain or somewhere like that on each of the shards... give it NO housing space... just a town and bank if need be... but have it "link" 2, 3, or 4 shards together... pick ones in the same sort of "region"... but leave Atl out of it. If they paired some mid level population shards with a few low ones and such it would work... you could then move freely between the shards... (though I'd say no more than 10 characters on an account per shard) this would allow people to get together and have more folk, more space and more housing... balancing things out and allow larger groups and guilds to band together or whatever... but it would give far more people to play... the Gen Chat and vendor search would be per hub... not per shard... this way 4 shards could be like one hub... Anyway it's a thought but I'm told it'll never happen. I could see shard to shard contests held and perhaps there could be shard to shard Fel Faction type things going on... with a Fel version of the hub for reds and instead of a town the hub in Fel would be 4 bases... EM's of each shard would then be able to work together to provide more events thoughout the weeks and all.... and there could be all sorts of fun things going on... just my thoughts... but you know.
I think it's a very good idea. I just wish devs participated in some of these discussions.

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Okay I have an idea- Well actually it's Jirel's so I hope explain this right as Economics and Accounting are her thing not mine. Here goes. . .

The main reason that 99% of players go to Atlantic is Commerce. The buying, selling, and over all trade of in game goods. With this in mind what if we made commerce attractive on smaller shards?

This could be achieved by adjusting vendor fees. For example raise vendor fees on Atlantic shard, and the same time dramatically lower vendor fees on the low population shards.

Then as the population adjusts have the vendor fees set to adjust until they essentially balance. To explain a little in depth as the population rises on the smaller shards the vendor fees would
increase at certain increments at the same time on Atlantic as their population decreases their vendors would lower until all shards would pay the same amount in fees.

I hope this makes sense, it made sense when Jirel explained it.