• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ohhhh Colors...

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
This started today with me. All my deep reds in clothing have turned a very much brown color today. I haven't done anything, gotten drivers, cleaned my monitor ;) or anything like that. Anyone else notice anything like this?

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Yeah, I'm of the same mind. I know cataract surgery is looming for me in the not too distant future but I don't want to think about it just yet.
My mom had that done and she says it's worse than it was.... so I don't know. I'd certainly get well informed on it.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
You must be using the Snyder colour filter(tm)!
The same one he used to kill all the colour and joy from Man of Steel and BvS!

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
It's odd, guess I'll work on my color calibration. It's kinda one of those weird things where is the red I see the same as yours? lol I noticed it on dark red plant dye which went to brown but haven't really noticed it anywhere else yet.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's odd, guess I'll work on my color calibration. It's kinda one of those weird things where is the red I see the same as yours? lol I noticed it on dark red plant dye which went to brown but haven't really noticed it anywhere else yet.
I've often pondered these thoughts. How do I know what I see as red isn't something else to someone else? For all I know what someone else sees might be green in my color pallet... but we both call it red... because that's what we were taught but in true reality it could be purple. I'm sure there is some science to the frequency or something wavelengths and all... but it just amazes me when they talk about what say a fly can see or a dog or something and you wonder just how are they figuring this? How can you really tell?

Anyway I always had issues with colors not appearing right but that was my monitor taking a crap on me. Plus I use F.lux to adjust my screen display... But it thinks I live in Sydney Australia... due to my working/sleeping hours.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I've often pondered these thoughts. How do I know what I see as red isn't something else to someone else? For all I know what someone else sees might be green in my color pallet... but we both call it red... because that's what we were taught but in true reality it could be purple. I'm sure there is some science to the frequency or something wavelengths and all... but it just amazes me when they talk about what say a fly can see or a dog or something and you wonder just how are they figuring this? How can you really tell?

Anyway I always had issues with colors not appearing right but that was my monitor taking a crap on me. Plus I use F.lux to adjust my screen display... But it thinks I live in Sydney Australia... due to my working/sleeping hours.
LOL! Yeah I've wondered this same thing but I'm sure science has an answer to it. Some things are more fun to wonder about.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
LOL! Yeah I've wondered this same thing but I'm sure science has an answer to it. Some things are more fun to wonder about.
Isn't it? Was something I asked friends about in High School oh so very many years ago... thought about ever since... Kinda like the question I always asked about why the moon seems so large sometimes and small other times yet I know it's not getting closer and further from the Earth really that much... My brain is always fixating on weird things and wondering and questioning all the reasonings it's given about things. Though I'll never fallin with the flat earth theory...

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Isn't it? Was something I asked friends about in High School oh so very many years ago... thought about ever since... Kinda like the question I always asked about why the moon seems so large sometimes and small other times yet I know it's not getting closer and further from the Earth really that much... My brain is always fixating on weird things and wondering and questioning all the reasonings it's given about things. Though I'll never fallin with the flat earth theory...
Yeah I smoked some stuff in my day ;) Back on topic a bit, my monitor went back to "normal". I reset my video card and everything I could find back to default. Still not sure what happened there. Last time my monitor went bad I went and got a new one naturally. I quickly hooked it up to discover the same weird color problems. I was then leaning towards replacing my video card (Doesn't take much to talk me into an upgrade anyway lol). I thought I'll check all the connections one more time. Down by the floor I discovered the cable was full of little holes. I'm sure it had nothing to do with out teething kitten that hung around me constantly ;) New cable I was all set and I had a larger monitor. I also had a nice spare monitor I took to the cottage :) So if it happens again I'll get behind the desk and look at the cable :)

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
my son is color blind.
we didnt find out till he was like 8.

he came out of a eye test and the Dr said "your son is color blind, did you guys know that?"
i said no, turned to my kid and asked if he could see colors.
he said yes.
i turned back to the Dr and said "he said he sees colors just fine"

turns out he sees them differently then the majority of us do.
that made me wonder.... how on earth does anyone really know what the other person sees is the same color as they are seeing?
what i see as red may be green to you, but you call it red, but if i saw it with your eyes it would be green.

back to the OP, go get your eyes checked.
if your pressure is up it could cause your eyes to be straining which could alter the colors you see.
also if your eyes are tired or your tired the cones and rodes..... cones...... cones do the colors right? anyways they loose their zippyness throughout the day.

there are so many answers.

ill bet its your monitor.
bet its on the way out.

hmmm, i may need to dial back the coffee today......

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Elliptical orbit. It's most noticable when the moon is full & close to the horizon. That's when it's a 'supermoon', like the one last weekend.

Colours are ... an optical illusion. They're created by the way objects absorb, bend & reflect light. So they are measureable, just not with the mark one eyeball!

Interestingly, females, as a general rule, can see more shades than males. I'm married, of course, to one of the exceptions to that rule :p

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everytime I change the background or text color on one of the websites I get a string of emails asking why I made the background purple and the text green. When in my selections I made the background medium red and the text black. Very frustrating getting it to where everyone or can agree on what color it is.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Elliptical orbit. It's most noticable when the moon is full & close to the horizon. That's when it's a 'supermoon', like the one last weekend.

Colours are ... an optical illusion. They're created by the way objects absorb, bend & reflect light. So they are measureable, just not with the mark one eyeball!

Interestingly, females, as a general rule, can see more shades than males. I'm married, of course, to one of the exceptions to that rule :p
I was told the Moon looked different on the Horizon and such because of the refraction of the light as it BENDS around the earth making it look LARGER... and when it's high in the sky you don't get that because it's straighter through the earths atmosphere... I took that as good sounding truth... took a long time to get that answer.

As for the kitten... I can see that happening... I had to replace my cable once because it got seriously kinked being pinched between the desk and wall... over time it nearly broke.

My current monitor (A 46" LED HD/TV) is starting to wear and now has odd "light" circles... more and more of them are appearing... it started with just one about a year ago... now there is a whole row of them about 2" apart all along the bottom third of the screen...

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I’ve had this issue before actually. Not on reds but the yellows. They ALL turned green. After some cyber sleuthing I found my Hues.mul was corrupted. Did a file check patch and it fixed it. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I’ve had this issue before actually. Not on reds but the yellows. They ALL turned green. After some cyber sleuthing I found my Hues.mul was corrupted. Did a file check patch and it fixed it. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tried everything but that! Thanks! But it got fixed somehow so I'll try that next time. Makes more sense than instant cataracts ;)

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was told the Moon looked different on the Horizon and such because of the refraction of the light as it BENDS around the earth making it look LARGER... and when it's high in the sky you don't get that because it's straighter through the earths atmosphere... I took that as good sounding truth... took a long time to get that answer.

As for the kitten... I can see that happening... I had to replace my cable once because it got seriously kinked being pinched between the desk and wall... over time it nearly broke.

My current monitor (A 46" LED HD/TV) is starting to wear and now has odd "light" circles... more and more of them are appearing... it started with just one about a year ago... now there is a whole row of them about 2" apart all along the bottom third of the screen...
Actually the reason the moon seems larger on the horizon is because your brain has things to compare it's relitive size. When it is high in the sky you have nothing to compare its size. Visually the moon is exactly the same size on the horizon as it is high in the sky.

* You can actually demonstrate this by holding a pencil at arms length to "measure" the actual size of the moon. Do it once when the moon looks huge on the horizon and then when it appears small high in the sky. The measurement will be the same.

Last edited:

Adrahil

Adventurer
I had the same problem recently with blues on a character outfit. I thought I was going mad, I logged out and back in and the problem went away. I had this issue on log in with EC about 2-3 times this week. I log in and the colors are all off, I log out and back in and its fixed. It gets annoying really.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Actually the reason the moon seems larger on the horizon is because your brain has things to compare it's relitive size. When it is high in the sky you have nothing to compare its size. Visually the moon is exactly the same size on the horizon as it is high in the sky.

* You can actually demonstrate this by holding a pencil at arms length to "measure" the actual size of the moon. Do it once when the moon looks huge on the horizon and then when it appears small high in the sky. The measurement will be the same.
Actually it has to do with the light as it reflects off a flat earth...