• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What if we could buy more vet reward choices through the UO store? (rewards still restricted by age)

Potgut

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For example, for $9.99 (1000 sovereigns) add +1 to your veteran Reward choices. To keep vet reward integrity, have account age restrictions still apply to your reward options.

If UO needs to make more money, maybe this could help too.

I'm finding myself picking (as I'm sure many of you are) the more practicable rewards that have more in game function (commodity boxes, crystal portals, house teleport tiles, seed box..) over many of the cool decor rewards (e.g. statues, banners...) because of the limited number we get. I want many of the other decors as well, but other than Atlantic they're becoming hard to come by for sell on the other shards.

I mean, if we can already buy soul stones, why not this too?

Last edited:

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'd rather they add the rewards to the store because A) Some rewards are worth more or less than others. B) This is how it already is on third party sites. C) Some rewards don't have account age restrictions to use, just to obtain through the system. If I'm paying cash I want to be able to pick one of them.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've often said if people are willing to pay up 9.99 say for a 1 month token that adds 1 month or 2 to your account age... then so what? Why not let them?

Honestly doesn't matter to me. I only see it as a benefit to the game.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Uhm..... this would be cool.
But if so, who can I send sovereigns codes to for a shard shield to and from Drachs to GL?
I would pay for them, just don’t have the account age, and I really don’t wanna start from scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Uhm..... this would be cool.
But if so, who can I send sovereigns codes to for a shard shield to and from Drachs to GL?
I would pay for them, just don’t have the account age, and I really don’t wanna start from scratch.
The character transfer tokens in the store work for anyone. The ones from shield are account bound.

Buy one from the ingame store if you have sovereigns.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The more stuff that more people have access to, the more money EA/BS makes, the healthier the game is because more people are happier.

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
They should remove all restrictions (Account Bound) + Age from Veteran Rewards. And Yes they should sell a veteran reward token on the store.

It's absolutely crazy the way it stands now. Some people are going to drop dead before they can claim certain rewards..on a game that is 20 years old, and losing more people each year as people die off, and realize the time the have left is less and less and they'd rather not spend it playing UO.

Time to throw up the white flag folks...

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL I wonder how well my business would do if a new customer came up and asked for the special sausage and I told them "Sorry that sausage is reserved only for customers that have been around for 14+ years. You can only have the sausage I make for noobs! And at 20 years of being a customer you will unlock Bacon!!!" Or more accurately in my CSA I give every member a whole ham or a Turkey on TG and Christmas free, doesn't matter if they just signed up for the CSA or have been a member for the last 20 years, had I done this in a progressive way like the UO vet rewards it would have been cool the first few years but then the new members coming in would feel cheated and the problems would begin. Bad enough when a wealthy customer writes a check for $2k-$3K for a years worth of meats and the less wealthy customer in line behind them, tries to give me a lecture on social and food justice and why I should sell cheaper to folks with less financial resources. (See this same mentality in UO where some cries about being poor and not being able to buy the things a wealthy player can, whether it be wealthy in game or IRL.) Anyway the vet rewards were a time bomb set long ago and is randomly going off now. I just looked at a RMT site and a 15th year Garden Shed is listed at $100, Vet tele tiles at $25.00, The ethy spider $40. there is a problem. LOL I need to start picking garden sheds and selling them for RM and paying my subs with the money from sales of garden sheds. Selling the vet rewards via a token that just lets you pick any year for even $20 would take revenue away from the RMTs and put revenue into UO. And of course the entitled crowd will complain that those with the most $20s to spend will have and advantage and that somehow our 20 years as a customers is cheapened because the vet special goodies are available to everyone. And OMG the Market will be flooded with vet rewards! Seriously who cares ! If people are having fun and have access either via time or dollars going to support the game. And even with shard shields I spend WAYYYYY more than I should on transfer tokens every month LOL. As much as I dislike transfers and what they have done to the game.......... I do get a wild hair and move 2-3 accounts from one shard to another, even if I had shields on every account, I would still be buying 12-18 transfers per month. I am not going to wait 7 months to move every character via shields....... The impulse urge to move to a different shard would be gone by then :) And in 1 minute the 24 hour timer is up and I can move 3 more characters to Chessy :) What can I say observing the Goblins of Chessy is interesting :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
9.99 for a year maybe.
No... Vets have paid $120 basically for the year... if someone wanted to buy up a year... IMO they too should pay $120... so $9.99 a month. If i could pay that for a year I would... but yeah... not happening. I have no problem with folk wanting to buy up years .... especially those who were unable to play or whatever and think they should be older... but if they want to be able to cash in on years and get vet rewarded for those years... then they need to pay for them at the same price that Vets have.

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
No... Vets have paid $120 basically for the year... if someone wanted to buy up a year... IMO they too should pay $120... so $9.99 a month. If i could pay that for a year I would... but yeah... not happening. I have no problem with folk wanting to buy up years .... especially those who were unable to play or whatever and think they should be older... but if they want to be able to cash in on years and get vet rewarded for those years... then they need to pay for them at the same price that Vets have.
What a sense of entitlement...

You paid for gametime...you paid to play UO. That's it...other than that you deserve nothing 'extra'. Zip, zero, zilch....

What a joke. Sad...very sad...this type of mentality.:coco::thumbdown:

If you were a true veteran you'd be happy with all the years you got to enjoy UO, while others did not, rather than trying to compare it to real life dollars you've spent on an MMO which makes you somehow entitled to something.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You also got to uh actually play the game. It's not a matter of fairness. It's a matter of being realistic on value. Only the sick people that already pay to much on this game will pay that. I'm a very well off individual and I only maintain one account. Some of you spend way too much money and time on this video game/hobby. An expectation that a player (THAT IS ALSO NOT ONE OF THESE VETS ALREADY) is going to pay that kind of money in the game is ridiculous.

Think more about what kind of market this kind of product would have.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
the devs already let anyone use vet rewards, buy them will gold. keep this out of store. if this game starts to turn into a buy anything in store, I'm out of here. gimmie, gimmie, gimmie, I want, I want, I want.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

You paid for gametime...you paid to play UO. That's it...other than that you deserve nothing 'extra'. Zip, zero, zilch....

If you were a true veteran you'd be happy with all the years you got to enjoy UO, while others did not, rather than trying to compare it to real life dollars you've spent on an MMO which makes you somehow entitled to something.
Yea, I have read that attitude so often. Just like with EJ some people rather wanna make it flop than giving up some of their share.

Now lets go ahead and say "We got our power scrolls from fel spawns so you have to get them there too" to @MalagAste and see how that plays out :popcorn:

And in a couple of weeks she will throw another tantrum how all her friends left ages ago and how empty the shard feels. But if a new player tries to fill the void, taking the steep road working to catch up on 20 yo vets, it needs to be as hard as possible.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice dream...
Now the but...
Think
Players can buy all the rewards they need... no in game sale of any vet .. it would be too easy to go buy it.
Second..
With a simple payment for a vet rewards whats stopping a devious player from messing up the market totally..
Don't tell me nah that wont happen... HAVE YOU FORGOT IDOCGUY??????

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You also got to uh actually play the game. It's not a matter of fairness. It's a matter of being realistic on value. Only the sick people that already pay to much on this game will pay that. I'm a very well off individual and I only maintain one account. Some of you spend way too much money and time on this video game/hobby. An expectation that a player (THAT IS ALSO NOT ONE OF THESE VETS ALREADY) is going to pay that kind of money in the game is ridiculous.

Think more about what kind of market this kind of product would have.
It's pretty amazing how people forget all the content they got in return and pretend they solely spent the money for the shard shields without playing the game at all.

They for sure didn't take part in any invasion. Trinsic, Minax or the latest. That's not what they paid for. It's shard shields.
Halloween items, Easter items, etc. Not what they pay for. It's shard shields since day one.
EM events, IDOCs, PvE, PvP. Not what they pay for. Only shard shields that matter.

Or to give it a more serious spin: If I paid $120 like @MalagAste suggest, would someone replay all those stuff for me? And inb4 "I have a friend who never plays but pays to get shields": That's his choice to not play the content he pays for. Suggesting to pay the full price to only get 1% doesn't get any better even from this angle.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nice dream...
Now the but...
Think
Players can buy all the rewards they need... no in game sale of any vet .. it would be too easy to go buy it.
Second..
With a simple payment for a vet rewards whats stopping a devious player from messing up the market totally..
Messing up the market? On many shards people complain they can't even fund the vendor fee, because there are *no players* left buying stuff. If anything, the markets would need more players with demand for low or mid priced items. But if they wanna catch up with ideas like that from the OP, a dozens of vets gets the ego out and say "You have to endure the same pain as we did!!!!!!!!!!"

IDOCGUY was obviously given a free go. If they can't get rid of a single offender in their online game, well...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Sense of Entitlement seriously??? Who's entitlement??? Because I actually paid to play all these years I do get the benefits and rewards from that... And I have the knowledge and the stuff... and whatever... but you think it's supporting the game to allow someone to come in and just get a full year for 10 bucks??? Hardly... If they really wanted to help and support UO then they ought to be willing to pay for full value of that lost year..... which is $120... at least. What you'd then be paying for is the privilege of getting your Vet Rewards early and to keep the game going...

If I had a serious sense of entitlement I'd say HELL NO you can't buy up your account.... PERIOD. But didn't say that did I? I said you could pay it up at the rate that you didn't pay while you were off doing whatever and not playing UO... or keeping your account up... not my fault people stopped paying to play.

This subject has been broached before and the DEVs have on occasion said NO... far as I recall so the point is all moot anyway. But if they go F2P and all I could see them letting people buy up months/years whatever... maybe they would give a "discount" but I'm willing to bet they would tick off a lot of old vets by letting a year go for 10 bucks.... hell SA alone is nearly 60 and they will be giving that away come F2P...

You say your are about getting people back into the game and supporting it but I fail to see how 10 bucks for a years worth that would have been @ $120 would help.... I think it would do FAR more harm than good... I could picture it now cheapskate wants to go F2P most the year then when it's time for Vet Rewards and they see something they like just pay the 10 bucks and advance the whole year they missed so they can claim the new reward with 1 month sub and a 10 buck advance get the new shinny and go back to F2P that's almost worse than the 1 month on 3 off roulette a bunch of others play currently with accounts...

And you want to cry to me about entitlements????? I pay for over a dozen accounts and I do NOT play roulette with any of them.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
to allow someone to come in and just get a full year for 10 bucks???
No, they only get the veteran age for 10 bucks. 99% of the content (past invasion events, EM events, anniversary items, holiday items etc.) wont come with it.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sense of Entitlement seriously??? Who's entitlement??? Because I actually paid to play all these years I do get the benefits and rewards from that... And I have the knowledge and the stuff... and whatever... but you think it's supporting the game to allow someone to come in and just get a full year for 10 bucks??? Hardly... If they really wanted to help and support UO then they ought to be willing to pay for full value of that lost year..... which is $120... at least. What you'd then be paying for is the privilege of getting your Vet Rewards early and to keep the game going...

If I had a serious sense of entitlement I'd say HELL NO you can't buy up your account.... PERIOD. But didn't say that did I? I said you could pay it up at the rate that you didn't pay while you were off doing whatever and not playing UO... or keeping your account up... not my fault people stopped paying to play.

This subject has been broached before and the DEVs have on occasion said NO... far as I recall so the point is all moot anyway. But if they go F2P and all I could see them letting people buy up months/years whatever... maybe they would give a "discount" but I'm willing to bet they would tick off a lot of old vets by letting a year go for 10 bucks.... hell SA alone is nearly 60 and they will be giving that away come F2P...

You say your are about getting people back into the game and supporting it but I fail to see how 10 bucks for a years worth that would have been @ $120 would help.... I think it would do FAR more harm than good... I could picture it now cheapskate wants to go F2P most the year then when it's time for Vet Rewards and they see something they like just pay the 10 bucks and advance the whole year they missed so they can claim the new reward with 1 month sub and a 10 buck advance get the new shinny and go back to F2P that's almost worse than the 1 month on 3 off roulette a bunch of others play currently with accounts...

And you want to cry to me about entitlements????? I pay for over a dozen accounts and I do NOT play roulette with any of them.
Just FYI, I didn't agree with his entitlement argument. I do find it funny that we both gave you arguments and you chose to reply to his inflaming one and not my constructive one.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No, they only get the veteran age for 10 bucks. 99% of the content (past invasion events, EM events, anniversary items, holiday items etc.) wont come with it.
Whoopee you are talking about getting an entitlement of getting a Vet Reward for next to nothing... Which IMO is not good for the game. Now if there was some sort of turn in where you could turn in all those old outdated rewards we got years ago because well.... there wasn't anything.... and it was a status symbol only and Vet Rewards didn't actually give you a bonus of any sort really... THAT I would stand behind... maybe a 10:1.... or something...

Personally I'm not against people upping the years of their account ...... What I'm against is cheapening the account age... to the point of ridiculousness.... like I said what's to stop someone from going F2P... waiting for the vet rewards to come out... sub the account for one month.... up their age super cheap and get the new fancy reward at 1/10th the cost??? IMO that would be BAD for the game, the community and the economy of the game.

People have been complaining about the economy and the lack of players but I can say for sure that making Vet Rewards cheap will not make things better. For many selling that shinny new reward for big bucks helps them to buy things that they need... keeps them around... but you cheapen that and let Vet Rewards be purchased for next to nothing then what??? If you do that may as well put Blackthorns items, PS, Roof Drops, Doom Drops and everything else in the store for $$$...

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Whoopee you are talking about getting an entitlement of getting a Vet Reward for next to nothing... Which IMO is not good for the game. Now if there was some sort of turn in where you could turn in all those old outdated rewards we got years ago because well.... there wasn't anything.... and it was a status symbol only and Vet Rewards didn't actually give you a bonus of any sort really... THAT I would stand behind... maybe a 10:1.... or something...

Personally I'm not against people upping the years of their account ...... What I'm against is cheapening the account age... to the point of ridiculousness.... like I said what's to stop someone from going F2P... waiting for the vet rewards to come out... sub the account for one month.... up their age super cheap and get the new fancy reward at 1/10th the cost??? IMO that would be BAD for the game, the community and the economy of the game.

People have been complaining about the economy and the lack of players but I can say for sure that making Vet Rewards cheap will not make things better. For many selling that shinny new reward for big bucks helps them to buy things that they need... keeps them around... but you cheapen that and let Vet Rewards be purchased for next to nothing then what??? If you do that may as well put Blackthorns items, PS, Roof Drops, Doom Drops and everything else in the store for $$$...
A cap. I mean at least type out your argument and think of how someone is going to reply. It's obvious. You can only buy up to 10 years or 15 years or something along those lines would be a solution. You still haven't responded to my constructive arguments which makes it hard to read anything you say as an intelligent argument.

Also, you already can buy Vet rewards cheap. Why would someone pay $120 for a year push forward when you can get a vet reward for less than $2 on a third party site? The perk of what we're saying is you get to use Shard Shields and mounts. Lets be real. And that isn't worth $1500.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
like I said what's to stop someone from going F2P... waiting for the vet rewards to come out... sub the account for one month.... up their age super cheap and get the new fancy reward at 1/10th the cost??? IMO that would be BAD for the game, the community and the economy of the game.
Ok, I'd say that's were we disagree.

It's money for the game. He's not gonna pay the full cost. So you can decide: Take nothing and sent him away or find a way to at least get his 1/10th.

I know it's highly subjective, but: I also don't have a problem with newer players having more stuff than me. I can still keep mine and they don't take anything away from me. Again, highly subjective, but I can't understand people who are scared their neighbour could have items that they already have for years. So be it, I'm usually rather glad for them than sorry for myself.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to to agree that Veteran rewards should stay Veteran rewards, pay on time and put your time in and get a veteran pick or two...

There is already content you can pay for, perhaps you should ask for better "pay for Content".

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I don't object to this in principle, but I don't think people should be allowed to buy months past their actual account age from creation. In my case the account was made in 2002 but I just got my 9 year rewards, so I would only be able to buy up to the 15th year, 6 more years in total. I do struggle to find things to get with my rewards at the moment, I don't need any more ethys and I don't have any desire for Shard Shields, so I often just save them up, not sure I would even buy the extra months if the option was there. :confused:

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The idea is that third party sites already sell them so why should Broadsword not get that business? By allowing a new account to use vet rewards they've created a market that vets can sell on. Right now that market goes to a third party site.

The other issue at hand for me is that new accounts will never get to use some vet items that are exclusive and require 10+ years. Expecting a new account to play 10+ years before using stuff others is using is polarizing.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Polarizing...yes People who pay on time and get a reward and continue to pay and put time in//////// \\\\\\\\\\\People who did not pay, cant pay or unwilling to pay and put the time in...

Which group would you pick to back your company? I know which ones. Do these people deserve a reward? Yes At some point loyalty was chosen to be rewarded it should stay that way.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice dream...
Now the but...
Think
Second..
You do realize every vet reward (Except Shard Shields) available is out there on the RMT sites ranging in price from $2.00 up to $150 for the new dragon thing?

I don't object to this in principle, but I don't think people should be allowed to buy months past their actual account age from creation. In my case the account was made in 2002 but I just got my 9 year rewards, so I would only be able to buy up to the 15th year, 6 more years in total. I do struggle to find things to get with my rewards at the moment, I don't need any more ethys and I don't have any desire for Shard Shields, so I often just save them up, not sure I would even buy the extra months if the option was there. :confused:
One can never have too many mining carts, treestumps, sheep, and vet tele tiles :)

What I'm against is cheapening the account age... to the point of ridiculousness.... like I said what's to stop someone from going F2P... waiting for the vet rewards to come out... sub the account for one month.... up their age super cheap and get the new fancy reward at 1/10th the cost??? IMO that would be BAD for the game, the community and the economy of the game.
Who cares if they do and how does it cause any real harm to you if they do?

NO ONE is going to pay $120 per year to age accounts, I can easily afford to but would not even consider more than paying more than $20 per year for the bumps for my younger accounts. But that whole idea of buying account age is just foolish to me to start with, just put a $20 token in the store that has every vet reward to choose from. Those tokens would be top tier money makers for EA/BS. The argument it will ruin the economy is laughable at best, and protects the status quo at the expense of the overall game at worst. When the strongest argument for keeping this train wreck called vet rewards away from the younger or new players is Iwon't feel special or vets and RMTs will no longer control the vet reward market. There is not much of an argument being made against it, and since vet rewards would still be available outside of the store by age even less of an argument. But since some need to feel special throw in Vet reward titles and make those account bound.

Which group would you pick to back your company? I know which ones. Do these people deserve a reward? Yes At some point loyalty was chosen to be rewarded it should stay that way.
The people that have the money to spend and are ready and willing to spend it. The old customers and their sense of entitlement very often get companies into ruts that they can't get out of and lead to terminal cash flow failure.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Polarizing...yes People who pay on time and get a reward and continue to pay and put time in//////// \\\\\\\\\\\People who did not pay, cant pay or unwilling to pay and put the time in...

Both. What issue do you see with allowing all players to use a 10 year old vet reward? Notice I don't say a 10 year vet reward. I say a ten year old vet reward. It's been out for ten years.

This argument is what I anticipated. This is why the other person used the word "entitled." Entitled isn't a negative word. Right now it has negative connotations, but it doesn't change that this is what it is. You feel that because vets have paid for their accounts for 20 years they are entitled to the vet rewards. I understand.

I disagree. I think there are big problems with the vet system. If they had stayed color dye tubs, statues, furniture, and other eye candies then it would be fine, but they have changed into portals, soulstones, seed boxes, organization items, and things as powerful as a shard shield. Ethereal mounts are way more preferred over a regular mount for many reasons. This is an example of a gap that a new player has to have to play with you. It's not attractive to new players.

This entitled mentality is preventing new/returning players. I'm not using the word entitled as a negative, but it is what it is in your own mind.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
is entitled mentality is preventing new/returning players. I'm not using the word entitled as a negative, but it is what it is in your own mind.
Yes I am entitled as per the game design, yes I believe veteran rewards should be still only be used as per age, even though the team has changed to (any age can use). That was very disappointing. That the veteran reward system is keeping players from returning is a super thin argument.

New players have very little content (or) the amount is so overwhelming they don't have the patients to actually stick with it.( its a huge time investment)

Returning players already know the score as per veteran rewards and know they burnt that bridge and Thus the other group of people who think they should be Entitled to get what they lost by paying for it. I don t agree with that sad thinking.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This is the other thing about you all that are against change. Every argument is assumed to be extremely that way. For example, I never said this was why players don't return. I said this is one gap of many and it's not an attractive one. You aren't going to attract people when you exclude them from utility items behind a vet reward system. You're also losing the little money that does go into it when and if they come and only third party sellers sell it.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I understand all points of this and yes I'd love to get more mining carts, tree stumps and sheep....
heck id love more sheep....

But
I see the down side
I would fear the over welming glut of the high end rewards being put out by the handful...

This has nada to do with older player accounts that can get the top rewards... might I remind you many of those older accounts used up their reward points...
Why do you think there are tons of dye tubs, statues (dragons, liches, demons, etc) and first year robes!
I knew kids who played and the minute they got more points spent them like water.
So yea I do know how nice it would be to get a few more of what I could use or do need more of.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
NO ONE is going to pay $120 per year to age accounts
Heck I will. LOL. I have 2 accounts that I can bring up to 14 yrs for a total of less than $400. :) Sign me up! :) FYI, I get your point though. For most players it's not really feasible.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL I spend my younger accounts picks fast on commod boxes, tele tiles, stumps, carts and an occasional ethy. The older accts pick 2 shields every October, except one that is a year younger and gets picks in August. All total I get 40-60 vet picks per year (2) per acct depending on how many accounts I keep active. So whether they are in the store, bought up in age, or given out via the Vet Reward Entitlement program does not really matter to me. What does matter is giving younger players more reasons to stay than leave. Something a lot of other 20 year vets talk about, so long as the younger players can never have what they have or be on equal footing..... Oh and worship them for being around for 20 years and in large part being why the game is in such crap condition that it is in today.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL I wonder how well my business would do if a new customer came up and asked for the special sausage and I told them "Sorry that sausage is reserved only for customers that have been around for 14+ years. You can only have the sausage I make for noobs! And at 20 years of being a customer you will unlock Bacon!!!" Or more accurately in my CSA I give every member a whole ham or a Turkey on TG and Christmas free, doesn't matter if they just signed up for the CSA or have been a member for the last 20 years, had I done this in a progressive way like the UO vet rewards it would have been cool the first few years but then the new members coming in would feel cheated and the problems would begin. Bad enough when a wealthy customer writes a check for $2k-$3K for a years worth of meats and the less wealthy customer in line behind them, tries to give me a lecture on social and food justice and why I should sell cheaper to folks with less financial resources. (See this same mentality in UO where some cries about being poor and not being able to buy the things a wealthy player can, whether it be wealthy in game or IRL.) Anyway the vet rewards were a time bomb set long ago and is randomly going off now. I just looked at a RMT site and a 15th year Garden Shed is listed at $100, Vet tele tiles at $25.00, The ethy spider $40. there is a problem. LOL I need to start picking garden sheds and selling them for RM and paying my subs with the money from sales of garden sheds. Selling the vet rewards via a token that just lets you pick any year for even $20 would take revenue away from the RMTs and put revenue into UO. And of course the entitled crowd will complain that those with the most $20s to spend will have and advantage and that somehow our 20 years as a customers is cheapened because the vet special goodies are available to everyone. And OMG the Market will be flooded with vet rewards! Seriously who cares ! If people are having fun and have access either via time or dollars going to support the game. And even with shard shields I spend WAYYYYY more than I should on transfer tokens every month LOL. As much as I dislike transfers and what they have done to the game.......... I do get a wild hair and move 2-3 accounts from one shard to another, even if I had shields on every account, I would still be buying 12-18 transfers per month. I am not going to wait 7 months to move every character via shields....... The impulse urge to move to a different shard would be gone by then :) And in 1 minute the 24 hour timer is up and I can move 3 more characters to Chessy :) What can I say observing the Goblins of Chessy is interesting :)
People are willing to pay the full rate for each month to get to 14yrs. Let em do it!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People are willing to pay the full rate for each month to get to 14yrs. Let em do it!
That would be the reason many of the L33T support that idea and that idea alone, they know very very few will fork out that kind of cash. And that it really does not make sense to. Look at it this way us older vets are out nothing, we lose nothing, other than selling our vet picks. It is repeating theme, if it would be popular and everyone would benefit from it, the same wore out status quo supporters roll out the same wore out reasons why it should not happen. And in the end it always comes down to their own personal benefit of keeping things the way they are.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A) Players that use or go EJ shouldn't be able to use or buy vet rewards vet rewards should be for full paying customers.
B) Players who fully pay for their accounts, but might of missed a year or 2 should be able to just buy at the UO store $$$ sovereigns to put towards 1 vet reward of the age of your account
Players who decide to go EJ look at letter A) option. EJ players can't have houses most of the vet rewards have to be locked down to use them anyways.
OU wants to ad in first - two year vet rewards to the store for EJ players that would be ok.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Really would only have to buy up to 15 years since nothing after that.
(I know about 20th year dragon but that seemed to be an outlier)

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I don't give a *beep* about buying account age, but give me *beep* consumables to buy.
Stuff like a token that makes sure the next spawn I do I get 2 120 scrolls and 4 115 scrolls or give me bonus on bod points/void pool points when I am doing this content.
Or sell me those talismans to smelt ore with a very right number of charges and those ore maps with 10, 20 more charges so I can go mining knowing what I am getting.
Offer me stuff worthwhile and I will burn money on the game to make my experience far more fun.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The entitled people will be sitting around in a year when the game is shutdown saying "but I was loyal for twenty years"? What happened?

Shard shields should be a 3rd year reward anyway not a 14yr. Its funny how the same people will argue about the economy issues and dead shards and vendor fees in other threads. But then a half decent idea about bringing people back to add to the game which would solve all those issues gets turned away immediately over their sense of nonsense loyalty and how they deserve better for being a 20 year hermit-crab. The economy argument is the funniest since there is no economy in UO right now, it cant get any worse then it already is.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The entitled people will be sitting around in a year when the game is shutdown saying "but I was loyal for twenty years"? What happened?

Shard shields should be a 3rd year reward anyway not a 14yr. Its funny how the same people will argue about the economy issues and dead shards and vendor fees in other threads. But then a half decent idea about bringing people back to add to the game which would solve all those issues gets turned away immediately over their sense of nonsense loyalty and how they deserve better for being a 20 year hermit-crab. The economy argument is the funniest since there is no economy in UO right now, it cant get any worse then it already is.
The ones who feel entitled is the ones who want the stuff for practically nothing while a lot of us pay in full every year. Now if they come up with a solution like every year a full paying customer gets 1000 sovereigns added free to their UO accounts I would be all for players who pay practically nothing have to pay for 1000 sovereigns to have their accounts updated once a year. I might have to become one of those players who practically pay for nothing for one account thats on me.

shard shields will never go down to 3rd year reward status fact no one would buy transfer tokens.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
shard shields will never go down to 3rd year reward status fact no one would buy transfer tokens.
Umm I have lots of shard shields and spent close to $1000 on transfer tokens last Month :) (That is 9 accounts and a couple oddball characters) So even with shields and last month being extreme, I on average drop $200 give or take per month on transfers. There are people that hop around a lot more than me using store xfrs. So I guess that fact is not really a fact.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The ones who feel entitled is the ones who want the stuff for practically nothing while a lot of us pay in full every year. Now if they come up with a solution like every year a full paying customer gets 1000 sovereigns added free to their UO accounts I would be all for players who pay practically nothing have to pay for 1000 sovereigns to have their accounts updated once a year. I might have to become one of those players who practically pay for nothing for one account thats on me.

Don't a lot of accounts age even if not paying because they are grandfathered in? Or did they end that?

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The big defense for not allowing paying for account age and vet rewards is that you all paid for it. Aren't the 20 year accounts grandfathered? I'd love to see they paid all 20 years.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The big defense for not allowing paying for account age and vet rewards is that you all paid for it. Aren't the 20 year accounts grandfathered? I'd love to see they paid all 20 years.
:fake:

There are no Granfathered Accounts. You could say all accounts are grandfathered. If you stop paying you keep the stuff on you and in the bank. If you don't pay the account age stops. Thats why my account that started Oct 97 is only 16 years old.

Do you just make stuff up?

There are grandfathered houses, but if you dont pay all your houses go away. imaryminfool

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
:fake:

There are no Granfathered Accounts. You could say all accounts are grandfathered. If you stop paying you keep the stuff on you and in the bank. If you don't pay the account age stops. Thats why my account that started Oct 97 is only 16 years old.

Do you just make stuff up?

There are grandfathered houses, but if you dont pay all your houses go away. imaryminfool
There were I know someone who had one... but at some time... it was turned off and she lost a very important home... after that she won't come back to game... not that I blame her. No notice no nothing just turned it off.... and her place fell...

afk

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
While i'm on the side of allowing players to buy account age, what about a compromise of sorts? To keep in the theme of the OP you could put the vet reward items in the store, however you would scrap the old vet reward program, and instead give players a set amount of Sovereigns (amount would depend on account age) to spend as a vet age reward. Vet rewards would be accessible by all, also the store items (like stable increase) would basically be available as "vet rewards" as well.