• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EA Negative Press and Stock and UO

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
I despise pay to win and will never play that sort of game again, ew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I despise pay to win and will never play that sort of game again, ew

So far, none of the things others have said they liked and consider pay 2 win is in my opinion. Merlin still won't respond to my direct question asked twice though, so who knows. The general idea for the topic has been answered though and I agree that it's not going to change anything with EA.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So far, none of the things others have said they liked and consider pay 2 win is in my opinion. Merlin still won't respond to my direct question asked twice though, so who knows. The general idea for the topic has been answered though and I agree that it's not going to change anything with EA.
Really the closest thing we have in UO to P2W are Mythic tokens. If you exclude the RMT sites and traders. P2W IMO are things that take you from noob to end game content by entering the credit card number. Or let you buy things that are not available to or only available through countless hours of grinding to people that can't or wont spend the money on the game balance changing stuff. Sadly there are a lot of people that don't want to actually play the game, and just hop into the high end content. And they either buy the suits and skills RMT or the Plat or ten to buy the stuff in game. The real question is should someone have a advantage in game simply because they are well off or wealthy IRL. Or worse have content that those who can't afford to P2W are for all practical purposes locked out of. IE you can't have this until to pay or grind away for 50+ hours. Used to be just...... If you want this you put the time in to grinding for it. But that changed when RL money came into play in obtaining items in a game. Now it is for many people how "How much is going to cost RL$ to skip everything inbetween to be able to do everything and have the best gear to do it." Personally I buy and sub to the game to play the game and obtain the things I want or need with the in game mechanics. I am like you why even buy the game if all you want to do is jump right into the end game content. As someone who plays the game I hate the P2W and credit card warriors, on the other hand from the RL perspective if the games officially offered everything available by the RMTs at the same or lower prices they would rake in a whole lot more profits and break the backs of the RMTs at the same time. Oh you are selling 120 tactics for $14 on your RMT site cool we will sell them for $7 on the official site........... I would imagine the would sell one hell of a lot of power scrolls and bring in a whole lot of revenue that right now is bleeding off to the fine upstanding RMT folks. IS P2W sure it is and sadly I don't think it is ever going to end. I would just rather see those RMT profits going to EA and hopefully filtered down to broadsword to build a better game overall............. and increase my stock value and dividends :) Uo just happens to be the only EA game I play :)

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
We agree, yea, but I'm okay with the mythic token and level boosts in games that aren't just released. I'm okay with catch-mechanics. If it's a game that was just released and immediately has a DLC that unlocks everything (MKX) then that's something I have an issue with. I still bought MKX because I'm a fan of Mortal Kombat. That's the game from my prime gaming years... But I didn't buy this DLC. I bought the extra characters later though. They weren't released simultaneously with the game.

That's why I think Merlin and I really agree, but because of his (sorry to say) argumentative tone in this topic and hard to sway attitude he thinks differently. That's why to be objective and constructive I think it's important to say what is Pay 2 Win to us and find a common ground on that first.

EDIT: I also like League of Legends fast level DLC. But the difference there is LoL is free to play.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
God but I hate agreeing with you, but the Paying for "Random" is where the problem and litigation arises and makes it gambling.
I think it's only technically gambling if you can end up with nothing. So long as a loot box has SOME kind of drop (even if it's something no one wants), it's not legally considered gambling.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Do they not have arcades in Brussels? I know we have them in all the touristy areas here in the US. Seems similar, but I'm arguing for something I don't like here...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@Tyrath I don't consider Mythic Tokens as pay to win... the only thing they do is take a few skills and stats up a ways... making it a tad bit less dull for most of us who've worked skills on 100's of character more bearable... now that said newbs using Mythic Tokens to reach end game faster are only cheating themselves out of learning to play. So IMO it's rather a reverse of pay to win.

You still need to finish the character, get geared and scrolled... and finish out the stats. Loads of work left to get end game. Sure I can gear out and scroll out a tamer in no time that way... but it's still 1/2 a finished tamer.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
As far as mythic tokens, there’s only a few skills I use them for.
Taming skills
Disco/Provo
Lockpicking
Cartography

These personally are just in PITA skills that I don’t enjoy taking a month to raise on multiple characters.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Tyrath I don't consider Mythic Tokens as pay to win... the only thing they do is take a few skills and stats up a ways... making it a tad bit less dull for most of us who've worked skills on 100's of character more bearable... now that said newbs using Mythic Tokens to reach end game faster are only cheating themselves out of learning to play. So IMO it's rather a reverse of pay to win.

You still need to finish the character, get geared and scrolled... and finish out the stats. Loads of work left to get end game. Sure I can gear out and scroll out a tamer in no time that way... but it's still 1/2 a finished tamer.
""Really the closest thing we have in UO to P2W are Mythic tokens."" See that very first sentence was really important.

I think it's only technically gambling if you can end up with nothing. So long as a loot box has SOME kind of drop (even if it's something no one wants), it's not legally considered gambling.
The courts will decide that not us but IMO in purest sense of gambling the loot boxes are a gamble as you are paying in hopes of your get something worthwhile instead of straight up buying a guaranteed item. In essence a chance at something is being purchases.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cart? I thought that only got hard after 99.5.
I though it was 95 and you had to do the last 5 with pinks or T maps........ been forever since I trained CART and LP though.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I though it was 95 and you had to do the last 5 with pinks or T maps........ been forever since I trained CART and LP though.
Satyre trick and a packy for final points in both works if you cant find pinks.

Troll The T Hunter

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been playing league of legends for the past year and haven't spent a dime. You would be amazed at the number of people that pay for "skins" for their characters or pay to unlock new champions. The game is really good at balancing "free" with "paid". They have a free champion rotation that last about a week so you can try out new champions. In no way do I feel any pressure to pay to win.