• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Finding Basic Items on Player-Run Vendors, By Shard

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've finished the Google spreadsheet to find out a couple of things about what it's like to try to buy basic items on each of the 27 shards in UO: (1) Which shards carry or don't carry specific basic items; and (2) what the lowest cost for each of these items is on every shard.

Here are a few comments about some specific basic items:

• You can find full magery, necromancer, and mysticism spellbooks and repair deeds on every shard, although I didn't check the availability of every type of repair deed.
  • Natural dyes are available on every shard except Origin.
  • Runebooks and runic atlases, scroll binders, and BOD books are not available on a couple of shards.
  • You cannot find exceptional musical instruments on a couple of shards.
  • A couple of shards have no potion or petal vendors.
  • Translocation powder is available on all but 4 shards, but sending bags and pet summoning balls are not available on 6-7 shards.
  • Deeds for forges, anvils, spinning wheels, looms, and soulforges are not sold on about 10 shards.
  • You can't buy powder of fortification bottles on any shard. (I saw one on Arirang early this morning but by this evening it was gone.)
Some prices for certain items, such as the spellbooks and the add-on deeds, seem very high considering that these are the lowest prices for these items on a particular shard.

You can draw your own conclusions about the availability of scrolls of transcendence and alacrity, and power and stat scrolls. I wasn't surprised by what I found, but it concerns me quite a bit that people who start or return to UO and have many, many years to go before they qualify for shard shields will be unhappy about the situation with these items. We cannot expect these people to just plunk down real cash to move their characters to Atlantic or to pay cash to get gold on Atlantic and then buy transfer tokens to move items back to the shards they happen to start on or return to.

Here's a link to the spreadsheet: Basic Items Lowest Cost Per Shard .

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very interesting list I think, thanks Tina! Now if only checked once some things might just been sold out. Like I had a soulforge (100k) stocked yesterday and its gone this morning! Same with some other items (fi snake charmer flutes). My arcane circle (bloodwood 85k) is still on the vendor. Due to atl resellers I have the BOD vendor opted out of search and also at New Player house I want the spellbooks etc reserved as much as possible for new players.
Also here on Europa a first suit and book and knowledge ball is free . Armor is poffed up a bit as well. Petra has a pet stall selling mounts and beetles cheap ... 16 anniv horses are free from many people as wlell. So things can be better than it looks on the list. Still I will use the list right away and see what we can add , great job!

I think our main problem is our items are vaccuumcleaned from the shards and sell on Atl. Some sellers might be happy for the income , but for thoose who want to keep well stocked shops for their shard people and for shard prices , its a pain.

Last edited:

Lady Kyo

Seasoned Veteran
Mannequin Deeds are pretty much as rare as rocking horse poop in Catskills and when the pop up they go for well over 1 mil and I have begun to notice because of this the price of mannequin deeds on Atlantic has gone up to 800k-1 mil for those buying and transferring from Atl to Cats.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Wow Tina you have been busy! That's a very interesting list and I'm sure some people will get right onto filling those gaps in the market, thanks for taking the time! :thumbsup:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very interesting list I think, thanks Tina! Now if only checked once some things might just been sold out. Like I had a soulforge (100k) stocked yesterday and its gone this morning! Same with some other items (fi snake charmer flutes). My arcane circle (bloodwood 85k) is still on the vendor. Due to atl resellers I have the BOD vendor opted out of search and also at New Player house I want the spellbooks etc reserved as much as possible for new players.
Also here on Europa a first suit and book and knowledge ball is free . Armor is poffed up a bit as well. Petra has a pet stall selling mounts and beetles cheap ... 16 anniv horses are free from many people as wlell. So things can be better than it looks on the list. Still I will use the list right away and see what we can add , great job!

I think our main problem is our items are vaccuumcleaned from the shards and sell on Atl. Some sellers might be happy for the income , but for thoose who want to keep well stocked shops for their shard people and for shard prices , its a pain.
I never even thought about the possibility that vendors might be opted out of vendor search, Minerva. I can understand why, especially after seeing the situation with PoF. It kind of blew my mind that there is NONE of it on vendors anywhere, unless you count a full keg selling for multi-millions on Atlantic. I was happy to see, though, that spellbooks can be purchased on any shard after reading a lot of comments that claimed otherwise. I hope that the list gives people some incentive to stock more items on their vendors or open a shop. I need to do some work on my own after doing this. And maybe this information could be useful for further discussions about vendor fees, i.e., to really know what the lowest price is on "basic" items. I suspect that many items go unsold for long stretches and that is why many things are very, very thinly stocked (e.g., you only find one small forge deed on the whole shard).

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so you have effectively demonstrated with a spreadsheet that no change is required to current vendor fees. Why can't everyone's post be accompanied by a spreadsheet to back up their claim?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nice work, interesting findings. Wonder why my PoF on Legends didn't show up...gonna go check and be sure vendor isnt accidently opted out of search.
Must have a taken forever to do this, especially considering the amount of time Atlantic vendor search is down!

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
so you have effectively demonstrated with a spreadsheet that no change is required to current vendor fees. Why can't everyone's post be accompanied by a spreadsheet to back up their claim?
It doesn't matter if a change is needed or not, we will only get what Mesanna wants to do.. but for those of us who are trying to stock and want to do it, vendor fees need adjusted. Or made into a time of sale commission type thing. Whatever. But we are beating our heads against a brick wall anyway, even tho I personally feel anything priced below 1 mil shouldnt have a fee at all attached to it.

:wall:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm adding the lowest costs found for water troughs, elven and stone ovens, wooden chests, and wooden container engraving tools. RL calls, so I will have to finish the rest of the shards for this later this morning.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
wow! That's a lot of data, Tina. Nice work! Looking at it, it appears no one sells enhanced bandages. Must be everyone has a fountain and uses it. That would kind of explain why I can't sell what stock I have. <shrug>

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Thank you for doing this. Now when new/returning players has a question what to sell, I have a great resource to help them. This will also make it easier to know how to price things.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
wow! That's a lot of data, Tina. Nice work! Looking at it, it appears no one sells enhanced bandages. Must be everyone has a fountain and uses it. That would kind of explain why I can't sell what stock I have. <shrug>
I didn't check on enhanced bandages. Going to add it as an item as well.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I found enhanced bandages in vendor search on all shards except Arirang and Balhae.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
She proved vendor fees don't affect things that are used by everyday players. Because they sell!

She also proved that things only returning players or new players would need are not available. Because how many players buy a basic 70 Resist 100% LRC suit every week.

QUOTE="Tina Small, post: 2893650, member: 433"]Deeds for forges, anvils, spinning wheels, looms, and soulforges are not sold on about 10 shards.[/QUOTE]

It would be nice to put deeded items on vendors and not run out of funds. How many spinning wheels do you buy a week? About the same amount as you would buy noob armor.

Now go to each shard and search this:

Legendary Artifact

Compare that search from each shard to the one on Atlantic. Do not include weapons!

Unless you have vendors with items that sell daily, you cant have a vendor that has a piece of armor thats worth many millions on Atl priced at 1.5M on your vendors.

Put a book at 1.5M and give the vendor 900k. See how long the vendor stays up.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Tina Small Were you searching specifically for bottles of PoF?

Most BOD reward merchants, like @Shandara , sell by the keg these days.
Nope, I was just using the term "fortification" to search by. I think I found one full keg on Atlantic. Everything else I found was the empty kegs, and as I mentioned, one lone bottle on Arirang early in the morning that was gone by evening.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Wow! What a lot of time and work you put in there Tina!! Respect! But, things might be a bit less grim than they seem, since most of the items you mentioned are provided for free when a new or returning player asks about them in help chat? And well, Translocation powder and sending bags and pet summoning balls we usually try to teach them how to get them themselves, with the fish n fishing rod quote in mind...

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Plus, one thing to consider, is that we just finished up quite a few weeks of events and happenings...so some of us have been slacking and taking advantage of the short term stuff...and cramming bods for next month.

Shandara

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tina is my hero for doing this. My concern is that vendor search is inconsistent. Just did a search for "powder of fort" and saw over 40 bottles ranged in price from 80k to 125k gold on Great Lakes.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nope, I was just using the term "fortification" to search by. I think I found one full keg on Atlantic. Everything else I found was the empty kegs, and as I mentioned, one lone bottle on Arirang early in the morning that was gone by evening.
I only sell empty kegs and those sell fast. My vendor is out of those. Also I have not done my usual plants and plant resources. See Below:

Plus, one thing to consider, is that we just finished up quite a few weeks of events and happenings...so some of us have been slacking and taking advantage of the short term stuff...
Like I said. Do a shard wide search for legendary Artifacts. Do not include weapons. Compare that to Atlantic. (also use not Garg only, and watch the amount fall.
That is a good indicator of the marketplace of a shard.

Vendor fees for consumables are fine because they have a short shelf life. Individual items priced above 200k each add up to a lot of fees when they do not sell for a long time.

My armor and weapon vendor has lost 500k this month. My consumable vendors have millions on them. That is one reason I have 12 vendors. I can tell which items sell and which vendors fall.

Deeded household items are difficult to stock because even priced low, they can sit forever. Only a few craftable items can be sold for the actual value of the resources that created them. Try it, and see how fast that vendor falls.

Last edited:

Shandara

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The labeling might be an issue too. Just noticed that the individual bottles are "powder of fortifying" in contrast the keg is "for powder of fortification" hence why my abbreviation just listing "fort" came up with more results. Again huge thanks to you Tina for doing all this work.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All fixed now: Found powder of fortifying bottles on 25 shards (everywhere except Formosa and Mugen) and the lowest cost varied from 30,000 to 200,000. I guess it's been a while since I had to buy it from a vendor!

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Deeded household items are difficult to stock because even priced low, they can sit forever. Only a few craftable items can be sold for the actual value of the resources that created them. Try it, and see how fast that vendor falls.
I can testify to this!!'

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just search powder and brings up everything with powder in it

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Nice work, interesting findings. Wonder why my PoF on Legends didn't show up...gonna go check and be sure vendor isnt accidently opted out of search.
Must have a taken forever to do this, especially considering the amount of time Atlantic vendor search is down!
Well probably cause I bought it ;) 10 for a mill ain't bad ;)

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Wow did some miss the point! If it sits there on the vendor for 1 day on Atlantic and sits for months on a vendor say on Legends it's a BIG difference. We refer to vendors on Legends as a hobby cause it certainly isn't for any profit and often a loss. Some of us know if we don't provide basic necessities, even at a loss, the shard is no longer viable. I started a scribe on Legends because when I got there no one was really bothering with it. Now I maintain it as a service to the community cause I sure ain't making any coin off it. A handful of things on a spreed sheet certainly doesn't cover the other thousands of items people would look for at one time or another. It's an interesting thing to read, granted, but it doesn't really mean anything. This is one persons view of what *they* deem important and doesn't reflect the time it sits on a vendor. That's the key element... time it sits. I could go on for awhile about that list...

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I could go on for awhile about that list...
I think it would be interesting if we could start a discussion to determine what kinds of things people have mostly given up finding on player-run vendors on their own shards and that, if they don't qualify for shard shields, they rather resent having to buy on another shard and then ask a friend/guildmate to move it for them. I'm not talking about EM event drops. I'm talking about things like artifacts, scrolls, deco items from champ spawns, vet rewards, high-end player-crafted recipe-derived weapons or armor, etc. The stuff you USED to be able to buy on almost any shard before shard shields came into the picture. Those are the things that returning players under Endless Journey who are years away from qualifying for shard shields will be looking for on their former home shards, where they moth-balled their characters when they quit. And when they find out that there are only a handful of shards where they can get that stuff, will they bother to stay and restart their subscriptions?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it would be interesting if we could start a discussion to determine what kinds of things people have mostly given up finding on player-run vendors on their own shards and that, if they don't qualify for shard shields, they rather resent having to buy on another shard and then ask a friend/guildmate to move it for them. I'm not talking about EM event drops. I'm talking about things like artifacts, scrolls, deco items from champ spawns, vet rewards, high-end player-crafted recipe-derived weapons or armor, etc. The stuff you USED to be able to buy on almost any shard before shard shields came into the picture. Those are the things that returning players under Endless Journey who are years away from qualifying for shard shields will be looking for on their former home shards, where they moth-balled their characters when they quit. And when they find out that there are only a handful of shards where they can get that stuff, will they bother to stay and restart their subscriptions?
I have long ago given up on finding anything on a vendor when I want or need it. I check VS fairly regularly and if I see something I might want or need in the future I buy it and hoard it. Just because something is available one day does not mean it will be restocked in weeks or sometimes months on some shards. The bad thing is someone else is most likely hoarding the very thing I want or need for the very same reasons I am hoarding stuff.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Well it's very much a rather random list kinda focusing on basic needs and stuff I don't have any clue why it's on there. I could make up a list of 50 items and the only shard that would probably have them is Atlantic so it's all very arbitrary. That list is kind like walking into a grocery store that only sold milk, water, bread and lunch meat. Yeah it has everything there you might need to survive but I highly doubt I'd shop there again ;) Even with that list, as is, there clearly shows a lot of shortages. I'm pretty sure N/A means ZERO lol I just posted today on the Legends board I was looking for Zombie Statuettes, Ararat Anchors and some other stuff like that. Haven't seen that kinda thing on a vendor in ages. Cause it's very likely it'll sit forever till someone happens to want one. It's all the fun stuff that you don't see on vendors on the low population shards. I'm like Tyrath... if I see something I might even vaguely need in the future I grab it cause you'll never find it when you do need it. If that list was all that was available in the game it would be a very dull game indeed :)

Last edited:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is a perhaps crazy thought: What if you could use vendor search to search other shards than the one your character is currently on and if you found something you want, you could buy it and then pay 10% of the price as a gold sink to the game to have it transferred to another shard? Or you could look up items on the uo.com site and do the same thing?

When vendor search first came out, people were disappointed you could only search the shard your character was on. Also, I remember reading somewhere that Mesanna promised you'd be able to somehow use vendor search while offline. Whatever happened to that idea?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well it's very much a rather random list kinda focusing on basic needs and stuff I don't have any clue why it's on there. I could make up a list of 50 items and the only shard that would probably have them is Atlantic so it's all very arbitrary. That list is kind like walking into a grocery store that only sold milk, water, bread and lunch meat. Yeah it has everything there you might need to survive but I high doubt I'd shop there again ;) Even with that list, as is, there clearly shows a lot of shortages. I'm pretty sure N/A means ZERO lol I just posted today on the Legends board I was looking for Zombie Statuettes, Ararat Anchors and some other stuff like that. Haven't seen that kinda thing on a vendor in ages. Cause it's very likely it'll sit forever till someone happens to want one. It's all the fun stuff that you don't see on vendors on the low population shards. I'm like Tyrath... if I see something I might even vaguely need in the future I grab it cause you'll never find it when you do need it. If that list was all that was available in the game it would be a very dull game indeed :)
The reason you don't see the statues and whatever is because they are so slow on the shard. If we put some on a vendor, by the time someone bought them, the vendor fees would have eaten up ALL the profit and probably in reality would have gone so deep into the vedors money that it would amount to the vendor owner PAYING YOU to take them LOL.

But it's all cool, Change vendor fees? make a change to benefit the real merchants (who aren't just selling rares and EM events)?? Perish the Thought!!!!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is a perhaps crazy thought: What if you could use vendor search to search other shards than the one your character is currently on and if you found something you want, you could buy it and then pay 10% of the price as a gold sink to the game to have it transferred to another shard? Or you could look up items on the uo.com site and do the same thing?

When vendor search first came out, people were disappointed you could only search the shard your character was on. Also, I remember reading somewhere that Mesanna promised you'd be able to somehow use vendor search while offline. Whatever happened to that idea?
A global vendor search would be great. It would also take 9,000,001 hours to load most likely :) That being said I would love to not have to shield to Atlantic to buy things that most likely originated on a low pop shard and was shielded to Atlantic and bring it back to a low pop shard. On the other hand I could see this being used to pull stuff off of low pop shards even faster and without the need for the transfers.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
The reason you don't see the statues and whatever is because they are so slow on the shard. If we put some on a vendor, by the time someone bought them, the vendor fees would have eaten up ALL the profit and probably in reality would have gone so deep into the vedors money that it would amount to the vendor owner PAYING YOU to take them LOL.

But it's all cool, Change vendor fees? make a change to benefit the real merchants (who aren't just selling rares and EM events)?? Perish the Thought!!!!
Exactly my point :)

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran

I said this in another thread. Great minds think a like :D