• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A Thanksgiving Observation....

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So with thanksgiving just around the corner, i'm guessing you have all put up your decorations and got your Turkeys ordered and all that......looking forward to spending "quality time" with the family.

I'm sure you are all now quite familiure with what a Turkey looks like.....
.....now imagine for a second that a unicorn has thrown up over said Turkey......

..............don't you think it looks just like the "new" Phoenix model we have to endure looking at now????:cursing:

I'm sure you will all flock to my cause now in sending a petition to @Mesanna to get the good ole "angry eagle" model re-instated on Tamed Pheonix and leave that unicorn puke covered turkey for the Turtle spawn where it belongs......:bdh:

You can sign below......:please:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So with thanksgiving just around the corner, i'm guessing you have all put up your decorations and got your Turkeys ordered and all that......looking forward to spending "quality time" with the family.

I'm sure you are all now quite familiure with what a Turkey looks like.....
.....now imagine for a second that a unicorn has thrown up over said Turkey......

..............don't you think it looks just like the "new" Phoenix model we have to endure looking at now????:cursing:

I'm sure you will all flock to my cause now in sending a petition to @Mesanna to get the good ole "angry eagle" model re-instated on Tamed Pheonix and leave that unicorn puke covered turkey for the Turtle spawn where it belongs......:bdh:

You can sign below......:please:
NO because I happen to like the phoenix looking more like a phoenix and less like a red eagle... which IMO looked stupid calling that a phoenix... it wasn't even a good red color... looked more like blood than fire.

But I find your devotion to this cause almost as sad as my own devotion to getting the coast zippers fixed in the EC.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I'm not sure I like the old style as it's a bit small and not majestic enough, but the new one is like a weird pigeon/turkey hybrid in an odd colour, can't we have something in-between? :confused:

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh how i miss running for my life from the old Phoenix when i was younger and trying to complete my Phoenix armour set.
It was just fun, it was small yes but prefect for what it was.
It was basically just a mean angry bird that took great delight in blowing thru your best Template designs :D
Then came that cartoon island.....and the "greater" phoenix......which was ok as it was in that land and i didn't have to see it if i didn't want too.
Next came pet revamp and my god i was soo excited to hear we could finally tame that damb little bird and make it do our bidding, and for a while we could and everything was right with the world.....
Then **** happened and this is the result......

The only saving grace is that others must feel like i do as i think i've only ever seen One of the new design being used as a pet as opposed to the many i saw when it was the angry eagle.
(everyone else has them locked away in hopes they will lose that god aweful colouring and shrink if they don't see sunlight for a few years...)

Lady Kyo

Seasoned Veteran
I happen to like the "unicorn has thrown up over said Turkey" Phoenix we have now and I run EC so it looks even...God, dare I say it...Cooler. (kewler?)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'd like to see silver steeds... I'd like to see more variety of colors of Unicorn... but I don't want a white horse ...... telling me it's a unicorn or an orange horse telling me it's a Ki-rin... that's WRONG on so many levels...

What would be cool would be to add a griffin... camels (with pack camels ride-able of course) ... and land boats which are Elephants equipped to carry you and 4 companions as well as able to pack carry (have a hold which would work just like a ships hold)... and you can take that into anywhere... it can ride on a boat but you have to dismount it and all... but yes... land boat/elephant.

Cupid

Lore Keeper
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh how i miss running for my life from the old Phoenix when i was younger and trying to complete my Phoenix armour set.
It was just fun, it was small yes but prefect for what it was.
It was basically just a mean angry bird that took great delight in blowing thru your best Template designs :D
Then came that cartoon island.....and the "greater" phoenix......which was ok as it was in that land and i didn't have to see it if i didn't want too.
Next came pet revamp and my god i was soo excited to hear we could finally tame that damb little bird and make it do our bidding, and for a while we could and everything was right with the world.....
Then **** happened and this is the result......

The only saving grace is that others must feel like i do as i think i've only ever seen One of the new design being used as a pet as opposed to the many i saw when it was the angry eagle.
(everyone else has them locked away in hopes they will lose that god aweful colouring and shrink if they don't see sunlight for a few years...)
There was a way to get Phoenix armor other than with trash points ?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was a way to get Phoenix armor other than with trash points ?
Oh yes, back in the day the armour pieces were an ultra rare drop from killing the Phoenix.....they did sell for big money back then and all they were was normal stat red leather armour but with the tag of Phoenix Armour.
A true status symbol back then....not like these days, i'd be embarrased to wear it.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh yes, back in the day the armour pieces were an ultra rare drop from killing the Phoenix.....they did sell for big money back then and all they were was normal stat red leather armour but with the tag of Phoenix Armour.
A true status symbol back then....not like these days, i'd be embarrased to wear it.
Screenie of new Phoenix armor

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Since someone brought up Unicorns, I think they should look like this :

While we're on it can I have THE Red Bull too? Most awesomest UO addition EVER!

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Slayvite. Forgot say this but YES I will sign said petition.

I punctuate my signature like this.(Harry Potter Phoenix)

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh, and in case it isn’t abundantly clear, I sign this petition. bring back the true UO Phoenix

Last edited:

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After looking in my old mythology book collection I did find a consensus of what the phoenix did look like and its size....
While one book did have it the size of a normal size vulture, most of all other books had it about the size of an emu... the bird is a bit smaller then the ostrich for those of you who don't know what a emu is. Its flightless also.
I have over the years as a tamer owned in the game Silver steeds, Anchinet wyrm, and a trove of odd pets.
I'd love to get back my anchient wyrm

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I read a book one time that said Phoenix's were red, and looked like an eagle.
This is from Bulfinch's Mythology : BULFINCH'S MYTHOLOGY THE AGE OF FABLE : THE PHOENIX

Herodotus describes it as
"I have not seen it myself, except in a picture. Part of his plumage is gold-colored, and part crimson; and he is for the most part very much like an eagle in outline and bulk."
Here is another link that has multiple description depending on the culture : Phoenix Rising: Mythical Creature, Phoenix Bird Mythology, Myth Beast

This is page has info similar to the first link BUT read the literary quotes regarding Phoenixes: PHOENIX (Phoinix) - Fire-Bird of Greek & Roman Legend

This one mentions the Phoenicians and that its feathers were purple :Phoenix

Size wise I keep finding the size of an Eagle. So I'm gonna go with that. Anyone else found something different?

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's what I kept finding as well Luc, an eagle sized bird is the normal description. Other sizes are listed but are definitely in the minority. Colors are all over the place but Reds/Golds/fire are predominate.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure where it's from, it was on an Atlantic vendor I happened to stumble across. I'm guessing it was some sort of event item.
Ohhh........so Atlantic shard are mocking the Phoenix are they....
.....guess they haven't learnt their lesson yet.....
Hmm...and weekend so close, it would be a shame if the shard went down again wouldn't it....:devil: