• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Uo on mobile

Kuzan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
@Kyronix
@Mesanna
Uo on mobile
Ive made this post before and i see 2 other mmorpg making mobile options for there games runescape and albion online even shroud of the avatar made tablet options for its game and i wonder why this cant be made for uo I have less time to play games at home then I used to and have plenty of time on the go or when im out or at work to have uo on which im sure many people do

No you are not going to have all your macros on there so i doubt you see some big mage pvp guys useing it but what could you not do with it Taming champ spawns crafting go running out on your sampire or go fight bosses

Everyone has a smart phone so even the crappier phones can run it the game was made it 97 make it classic client easy to process

Player base can increase from non traditinal pc gamers

Screenshot_20171119-121244.png

Make it happen

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix
@Mesanna
Uo on mobile
Ive made this post before and i see 2 other mmorpg making mobile options for there games runescape and albion online even shroud of the avatar made tablet options for its game and i wonder why this cant be made for uo I have less time to play games at home then I used to and have plenty of time on the go or when im out or at work to have uo on which im sure many people do

No you are not going to have all your macros on there so i doubt you see some big mage pvp guys useing it but what could you not do with it Taming champ spawns crafting go running out on your sampire or go fight bosses

Everyone has a smart phone so even the crappier phones can run it the game was made it 97 make it classic client easy to process

View attachment 74258

Make it happen
I would be for this if they dealt with/stopped all the cheating ect.... with the EJ/free to cheat coming out, no way. just my opinion

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
they would have to:
1. come up with some concept for touch controls to make at least some aspects of the game playable
2. build a whole new UI for it, which is actually usable on a touch device
3. acually implement those changes, so definitely no CC support here.

So if at all, they might add some functionality to the EC for players to come up with custom controls & custom UI for touch...

But honestly, not going to happen anytime soon.

By the way, what would you actually want to do, when playing UO on your mobile?

EJ/free to cheat
LOL, you're cute. How would that be any different than the current 14 days trial free to cheat?

Kuzan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Getting the same feedback as before u know how simple it is it add a joystick option to it like most mobile games have drag icons out of your books that u need it is not going to be a keyboard no its not going to be a pvp friendly you won' have uoassist doesnt mean u can't play drag a health bar and zoomable screen
Might have to see what the other mmorpg do and try to emulate it

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Same feedback as before because nothing has changed.

- We still use a Primary client that is years out of date and cannot be updated, only re-wrote.
- We still have a game where Micro-transactions dont exist, so no profit for the game owners for the development costs (still EA).
- We still have a development team of 5.
- We still are only just keeping this game afloat (more and more crashes as code gets older and more corrupt)
- We still have the same person incharge with her own plan (whatever that is, nobody else knows)
- We still have no idea of actually "how" to make this game a touch pad version (its too indepth right now)
- We still get zero investment from EA.

I can go on you know but.......nothing has changed. ;)

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know a lot of old players who use to play at lunchtime at work... work got wind for many of them and banned any use of their connection on company computers link.
The short time they have at home to play made for their dewindeling attention to the game and the departure soon after.
With Tablets all over and cheaper then ever this idea is gaining ground in my thinking. When people travel it would be great to have the game at hand.
Many use public transportation and have big swaths of time to kill.... the game would fill that gap... The only down side is missing your stop... it has happened.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
u know how simple it is it add a joystick option to it like most mobile games
That's a very naive approach.

What do you plan to control with that youstick?
The mouse cursor? That's going to be the most cumbersome way to controla game ever. Noone is going to play that...
Or just the character? Then how are you going to copen containers? Bring up the item tooltip, so you know what to loot? How do you drag items? How do you open context menus like the ones from vendors etc...

There are so much issues with this. Making a game touch-ready is no simple undertaking...

Let alone all the things, Slayvite came up with....

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess you have not seen the attachable keyboards they have for tablets....
idk for the phones which can/do have built in keypads... my Mega has a huge pad the only thing is the screen size... great vision for the user would be required.
But you do have a point... to make the game usable on a tablet if it can be that is ... might be to much time/funds.
But you have to admit for some this might be a game changer to stay... how many of you have a wife wanting more of your game time... kids too.. hubbies?
We now have odd free time, hour here 2 there, and maybe a half day to play on the off days... that's if the family haven't planned it for some bonding time...

Yes this is a day dream

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess you have not seen the attachable keyboards they have for tablets....
idk for the phones which can/do have built in keypads... my Mega has a huge pad the only thing is the screen size... great vision for the user would be required.
But you do have a point... to make the game usable on a tablet if it can be that is ... might be to much time/funds.
But you have to admit for some this might be a game changer to stay... how many of you have a wife wanting more of your game time... kids too.. hubbies?
We now have odd free time, hour here 2 there, and maybe a half day to play on the off days... that's if the family haven't planned it for some bonding time...

Yes this is a day dream
Hmm a tablet with an external keyboard and mouse..........
......Thats called a Mini laptop, they are available starting with a 10" screen. and on some you don't even need the external mouse... :lol:

Best mini laptops – You won’t find any smaller!

I am such a problem solver this morning ;)

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I love playing the Sims, I tried a version for my tablet, it's a pretty good one with a 10" screen, even so playing the Sims was horrible, I don't play anything on my phone...

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All my equipment is gone must have been the insurance bug...no wait its all under one rune book in the corner of my pack. No really, its hard enough to find my junk on a 32 inch pc screen. I just can not see the translation from pc game to mobile ever being any kind of fun. You would lose too much.

Kuzan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Well instead of all the people who are stratics forum warriors....

Anyone who has been able to get uo on there phone and not streaming thru there pc please post a walk through

Ive seen a video of a guy running uo on a slider phone back in 2008 on YouTube

I was told by a guy at a pc shop a windows phone would be able to download direct x which is what holds a apple and Android from downloading the client anyone have one want to weigh in on that

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone who has been able to get uo on there phone and not streaming thru there pc please post a walk through
Not going to happen. UO Client is a x86 32 bit windows app. It is never ever going to run native on a phone. Good luck finding a x86 emulator for a phone....

Ive seen a video of a guy running uo on a slider phone back in 2008 on YouTube
Whatever you saw, it was either just a stream or complete fake. See answer above...

I was told by a guy at a pc shop a windows phone would be able to download direct x which is what holds a apple and Android from downloading the client anyone have one want to weigh in on that
A windows phone runs windows mobile on an ARM architecture CPU, usually a qualcomm snapdragon CPU. This one DOES NOT run binaries compiled for x86. This includes DirectX.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I love playing the Sims, I tried a version for my tablet, it's a pretty good one with a 10" screen, even so playing the Sims was horrible, I don't play anything on my phone...
I do... I play Pokemon Go... and Gumballs and Dungeons... which is actually kinda a fun time waster...

Philly

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
My husband has said for a couple year that UO needs to do this. Ya got me I don't know what it takes or how and if or not impossible. Nice thought though.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I often thought about how it would play on a tablet... but I just can't see it working. Least not with it's current state... maybe the EC might be able to be adapted... but not CC.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
If I could have a way to update my vendors and maybe see the guild online roster I’d be totally happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Kyronix
@Mesanna
Uo on mobile

View attachment 74258

Make it happen
Porting UO to mobile of any kind would be a ****ing chore and a half, and no matter what you do, it would play like garbage.

Now I could see some kind of linked companion app that allows you to do little games to get some sort of in game benefit, but that would also be a serious project. Anything beyond adding basic content to the current game is essentially a no go. The team is just too small.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's a very naive approach.

What do you plan to control with that youstick?
The mouse cursor? That's going to be the most cumbersome way to controla game ever. Noone is going to play that...
Or just the character? Then how are you going to copen containers? Bring up the item tooltip, so you know what to loot? How do you drag items? How do you open context menus like the ones from vendors etc...

There are so much issues with this. Making a game touch-ready is no simple undertaking...

Let alone all the things, Slayvite came up with....
While it would probably...technically... be doable I think people wildly underestimate the cost, and the time, and the effort for something that at best would appeal only to probably a small subset of an already very niche audience, with an playing experience that even at it's imagined best would be pretty ****.

It's fun to think about, but... it's not really a tenable idea.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Remote desktop. Easily doable on most phones.
In fact, there are even better solutions today with high FPS & low latency like monflo, moonlight, etc...
Go ahead, try it. Shouldn't be hard to pull off. But I can promise you, you won't be satisfied with the experience.
1. You'll still need a desktop machine as host, which actually runs the game. (in the end this isn't the definition of mobile, at least in my book).
2. Controls will be clunky to the point of being not bearable at all.