• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Been several years, but i'm coming back!!!

croy6325

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
probably been about 10 years or so, I started in 97, quit shortly after they introduced the samurai, ninja, and paladin if my memory serves me right. I remember WoW was destroying all current games and thought UO wasn't too far behind so I didn't want to be tied to a game that was just gonna be dropped like Shadowbane.

anyways, every cpl of years i'll come across the UO intro song "Stones" and sorta day dream about the good old days and the sheer amount of nostalgia this game gives me; which lead me to checking the forums and noticed EJ which tells me they aren't giving up on the game any time soon.

I played Atlantic and Siege, and will likely be going back to Atlantic, WYU was my old hangout and will probably attach myself one way or another to that area.

So, as a player that doesn't have the last several expansions (and won't have them till after Christmas cuz I have 3 kids all with birthdays in December..... :-/ ) What will I be able to do to start earning some gold and basically entertain myself till I learn the ropes again?

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
probably been about 10 years or so, I started in 97, quit shortly after they introduced the samurai, ninja, and paladin if my memory serves me right. I remember WoW was destroying all current games and thought UO wasn't too far behind so I didn't want to be tied to a game that was just gonna be dropped like Shadowbane.

anyways, every cpl of years i'll come across the UO intro song "Stones" and sorta day dream about the good old days and the sheer amount of nostalgia this game gives me; which lead me to checking the forums and noticed EJ which tells me they aren't giving up on the game any time soon.

I played Atlantic and Siege, and will likely be going back to Atlantic, WYU was my old hangout and will probably attach myself one way or another to that area.

So, as a player that doesn't have the last several expansions (and won't have them till after Christmas cuz I have 3 kids all with birthdays in December..... :-/ ) What will I be able to do to start earning some gold and basically entertain myself till I learn the ropes again?
Welcome back friend, check out this link to help you catch up on all those years :)

A Summary for Returning Players – Ultima Online

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Welcome back..
There are a lot of new and exciting things in uo, and some issues, but will not detract from enjoying the game..

Sektor9

Visitor
hehe...

same here. started in '97 quit in '01 and now i'm back.

still don't like the trammel ruleset though

croy6325

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I hear ya, i'll probably spend the majority of my time in fell, just playing similar to the way i used to play. All a out rhe nostalgia for me

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Welcome back to UO! :)

It's always great to see someone returning. There are lots of people willing to help out returning players on Atlantic, so if you need any help you should be able to find someone willing to assist pretty quickly in chat.

The posters here on Stratics are also great at answering questions.

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lots of fel players coming back, let me give you a little break down of pvp. ALL shards besides ATL are pointless to play, they are extremely dead and in my opinion should be merged or closed in some fashion. PvP is nothing but Yew gate fighting, so find a template that can survive an open field dismount. There are multiple guilds depending on your pvp ability would take you in and help you, I suggest HOT. They are a very large guild that can help anyone get established in fel, they are not top tier, but its a start till you adjust. Templates seem to focus around splinter/dp either as a dexxer or a mage.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lots of fel players coming back, let me give you a little break down of pvp. ALL shards besides ATL are pointless to play, they are extremely dead and in my opinion should be merged or closed in some fashion. PvP is nothing but Yew gate fighting, so find a template that can survive an open field dismount. There are multiple guilds depending on your pvp ability would take you in and help you, I suggest HOT. They are a very large guild that can help anyone get established in fel, they are not top tier, but its a start till you adjust. Templates seem to focus around splinter/dp either as a dexxer or a mage.

Croy - first of all, welcome back.
Yes, Felucca is still very cool to play, the best facet of course for those who want to play and chill in a real game environment.

Skittles, I'm going to have to disagree about Atlantic.
Atlantic is the market shard, not the PvP shard.

Europa has it's own share of PvP, our guild is a victim of it's own success currently, we have neutralised all the red/PK guilds as always, and put them in a position where they have to ally, or pull in players from Atlantic whenever any meaningful combat happens. Atlantic is the shard for failed PvPers, who got kicked off their own shard because they cannot compete, and hope to merge in or be something on a shard where the PvP ability is less skilful.