• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Endless Journey into F2P.

morPR

PRmeister
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why isn't this a main topic discussion piece? 20 years in, the game gets to drop its 14 day trial nonsense. It has been a side-topic on other threads but not the main focus for its own.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was, we discussed it, we got bored with the lack of official responces to questions, me moved on.
It's not released till "next spring" so no point dwelling or ranting over something we know very little about apart from the initial wording.
NEWS - [UO.Com] Ultima Online: Endless Journey

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why isn't this a main topic discussion piece? 20 years in, the game gets to drop its 14 day trial nonsense. It has been a side-topic on other threads but not the main focus for its own.
No, no, no it's NOT f2p! Anything but! It's and endless journey that starts when you play the game without paying. Keep it straight! :p

morPR

PRmeister
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Free to Play games introduce you to game mechanics for free. They typically are not governed by a short time period in which to decide if you want to subscribe. They typically have cash shops for buying items ingame with RL money or some kind of virtual currency is purchased in order to buy the cash shop items. The main draw of the game is to get people to subscribe to the game to get full VIP benefits.

Seems much the same to me. They already introduced sovereigns. You can even buy items that have useful stats which are unique to the cash shop that aren't just cosmetic things. It's mainly a transition from 14 day trial to an unlimited trial like WOW instituted a bunch of years back. Heck, you even get the all important Stygian Abyss UO expansion for free with Endless Journey.

So forgive me if I kinda relate it to being F2P...

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
SA will be given free to all accounts, its only real tie to EJ will be via the high probability of their simultaneous release.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I guess free to cheat/endless cheating wont come out until at least march. i hope they are ready.
- i would start making a video library on uo.com for new people. its so easy to do, there so much to know, this would help the new players more than anything else the devs could do. i bet theres a lot of people on stratics that would help out too. the haven quests just doesn't help enough. too bad each shard dosent have a free chat program. much easier to help people, i hate typing lol
- i hope origin store is fixed, bad codes, only ordering one thing at a time ect...
- account (mis)management, mythic should be a next, next, next and be all set up. or maybe have a video on uo.com to show exactly how to do step by step. most people learn by seeing it done.
- on some shards, new players wont be able to repair their stuff because of lack of repair deeds/venders
- will people really help these new players? are they too busy using multi-clients, where they don't need others?
feel free to add info you think may help or should be looked at.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why isn't this a main topic discussion piece?
The people who read the forums saw the info about EJ. It told us what you get and dont get. I am sure there will be many discussions when it is released.

Ill be opening an EJ account.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would love to see some sort of player driven gold for sovereigns and vice versa added into the ingame store. Allow players to sell their own gold to the ingame store, which can then be bought via the ingame store. No one sells gold, then there is no gold to buy. I know people can already accomplish this by buying store items and then selling them for gold, but why not just cut out the middle process?

Would be a nice way for the EJ people to get into the UO gold economy quicker.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I guess free to cheat/endless cheating wont come out until at least march. i hope they are ready.
- i would start making a video library on uo.com for new people. its so easy to do, there so much to know, this would help the new players more than anything else the devs could do. i bet theres a lot of people on stratics that would help out too. the haven quests just doesn't help enough. too bad each shard dosent have a free chat program. much easier to help people, i hate typing lol
- i hope origin store is fixed, bad codes, only ordering one thing at a time ect...
- account (mis)management, mythic should be a next, next, next and be all set up. or maybe have a video on uo.com to show exactly how to do step by step. most people learn by seeing it done.
- on some shards, new players wont be able to repair their stuff because of lack of repair deeds/venders
- will people really help these new players? are they too busy using multi-clients, where they need others?
feel free to add info you think may help or should be looked at.
At least GLs has a free Discord server... trouble is getting the word out about such things to people who might need it and then many folk just refuse to use such things... and they blunder around and get upset when they could easily join something like Stratics or the Discord and talk to people and find out what they need to know... make new friends and find the help they need... but like they say you can lead a horse to water... but you can't make it drink.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At least GLs has a free Discord server... trouble is getting the word out about such things to people who might need it and then many folk just refuse to use such things... and they blunder around and get upset when they could easily join something like Stratics or the Discord and talk to people and find out what they need to know... make new friends and find the help they need... but like they say you can lead a horse to water... but you can't make it drink.

It'd be quite cool to have a general chat Discord for UO. One that isn't tied to any specific shard or agenda or sub community, just a free for all chat.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is/was a discussion about stopping idoc hunting for "young and EJ " players.
It was also talked about stopping idoc's all together , with different options of the contents of said house. Not sure if any was on the Dev mind...
My thoughts is everyone go to UO.com and read the whole bit on Endless Journey... Its not all people think it is.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well atleast we get cheap resources again, now that we will be having 400 gazillion mining bots running around.
PVP will being a new era as well, now that they can hunt AFK miners, lumberjackers etc etc.

Seriously for this f2p thing to work EA really needs to up their game.
As a vet, i seriously expect more than being able to have a house and a bank box for my $$$ every month.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It'd be quite cool to have a general chat Discord for UO. One that isn't tied to any specific shard or agenda or sub community, just a free for all chat.
I could swear someone started one here on Stratics...

Yup Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers Didn't know it had any agenda or anything... was simply UO.

Magnus started it. Long time ago... it's still available just never see anyone there sadly.

It could use some additional rooms maybe... or maybe it's good the way it is.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well atleast we get cheap resources again, now that we will be having 400 gazillion mining bots running around.
PVP will being a new era as well, now that they can hunt AFK miners, lumberjackers etc etc.

Seriously for this f2p thing to work EA really needs to up their game.
As a vet, i seriously expect more than being able to have a house and a bank box for my $$$ every month.

If you seriously feel like having a house, storage and access to EM events, various other drops, to holiday junk and vet. stuff isn't enough, then surely it a GREAT deal for you to drop your sub and become a F2P account? No? Yeah.

Magnus

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I could swear someone started one here on Stratics...

Yup Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers Didn't know it had any agenda or anything... was simply UO.

Magnus started it. Long time ago... it's still available just never see anyone there sadly.

It could use some additional rooms maybe... or maybe it's good the way it is.
@Magnus should make a promo thread for it I says. :)
Oh heey!

Yeah I should start another thread up. There just wasn't much interest when I posted it before, everyone still seems to love ICQ!

I mean I haven't really done much with it either sadly, but that's how life goes haha.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Oh heey!

Yeah I should start another thread up. There just wasn't much interest when I posted it before, everyone still seems to love ICQ!

I mean I haven't really done much with it either sadly, but that's how life goes haha.
Hate ICQ now that it wants my phone # anytime I try to add anyone... I refuse to give it to them. Pretty much have quit using it... Discord is just way more useful as well... since you can post things in it like forums... everyone can read it... you can hold voice conversations, private message people... whether they are on or not... post links, upload pictures, and so much more.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you seriously feel like having a house, storage and access to EM events, various other drops, to holiday junk and vet. stuff isn't enough, then surely it a GREAT deal for you to drop your sub and become a F2P account? No? Yeah.
After you wait a few months of course.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hate ICQ now that it wants my phone # anytime I try to add anyone... I refuse to give it to them. Pretty much have quit using it... Discord is just way more useful as well... since you can post things in it like forums... everyone can read it... you can hold voice conversations, private message people... whether they are on or not... post links, upload pictures, and so much more.
Indeed. The whole thing has been so ****ing fishy ever since they sold it to Russians. I HATE how the danmn thing wanted my phone number and still regret giving it. UO community should have dropped this sack of **** like 10 years back just like every other online community not typing in cyrillic did. There are like five billion more legitimate and comfy IM solutions available. But noooo.Let''s keep using ICQ. Damnit.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Indeed. The whole thing has been so ****ing fishy ever since they sold it to Russians. I HATE how the danmn thing wanted my phone number and still regret giving it. UO community should have dropped this sack of **** like 10 years back just like every other online community not typing in cyrillic did. There are like five billion more legitimate and comfy IM solutions available. But noooo.Let''s keep using ICQ. Damnit.
I have pretty much dropped it... I check it maybe once a month or so... attempt to get my old friends there into using Discord to ditch ICQ... but they are still stuck in it... though most of the people I play with daily use Discord.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm just gonna do like most people properly would do, have 1 acc witch i pay for, and have the rest of my accounts go f2p, i'm not an idiot :)
It's no secret that alot of people have their accounts active because they don't wanna loose their house (and yes i'm one of those people)

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm just gonna do like most people properly would do, have 1 acc witch i pay for, and have the rest of my accounts go f2p, i'm not an idiot :)
It's no secret that alot of people have their accounts active because they don't wanna loose their house (and yes i'm one of those people)
Sure, but I don't think the F2P will bring any changes to this? I mean, whatever your current arrangement in regards to housing is, you gonna be needing to maintain it for F2P just as well?

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Endless Journey accounts can't have houses, in fact it seems they can't even be friended to a house, if I've read the notes correctly...please correct me if I'm wrong! :)

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm finding there's alot of misinformaton being posted about EJ and quite honestly NO ONE knows for sure right now what it will entail, however what we do know for now is this...

1) There will be restrictions similar to trial accounts (Trial Accounts – Ultima Online)
2) Not eligible for EM Rewards
3) No promotional, holiday or veteran rewards
4) No housing or boats
5) See official link for more (Endless Journey – Ultima Online)

So again, for those claiming it will kill UO or cause major cheating should review the info above. The restrictions that will be put in place should negate or minimize any chance of these accounts being abused with cheating, i'm seeing this as a very positive and long overdue change which should attract/bring back old vets to the game

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So again, for those claiming it will kill UO or cause major cheating should review the info above. The restrictions that will be put in place should negate or minimize any chance of these accounts being abused with cheating, i'm seeing this as a very positive and long overdue change which should attract/bring back old vets to the game
Those are the people who do not play anyway. Maybe they will start some Endless Journey accounts to do all that cheating and IDOC house placing! :lol:

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm finding there's alot of misinformaton being posted about EJ and quite honestly NO ONE knows for sure right now what it will entail, however what we do know for now is this...

1) There will be restrictions similar to trial accounts (Trial Accounts – Ultima Online)
2) Not eligible for EM Rewards
3) No promotional, holiday or veteran rewards
4) No housing or boats
5) See official link for more (Endless Journey – Ultima Online)

@Mesanna (actually I think it was in a newsletter) already stated that Endless Journey is not intended to replace "paid" accounts (which is probably why they insist on not calling it Free-to-Play), so people should not expect it to replace any paid account(s). It also states that the restrictions are still actively being developed in the link quoted above, hopefully it will be successful.

The existing players would just use EJ accounts to farm for free without tying up their paid account(s) & pass bags of farmed goods over to their paid account(s) to store/sell, either through the trade window or just dropping the items on the ground to pickup with an account that could use/sell them. -This is where most of the "cheating" comes in. At least the people running bots now are paying for each account in order to do it. Probably won't need to after EJ is launched, unless they figure out a way to limit that somehow.

Perhaps items that enter the backpack of an EJ account become "account bound" until game-time is applied or it goes up for auction through this "vault" thing.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No boats? How are EJ players supposed to travel over water?
Seems they really do not want the EJ accounts having any account wide storage except paying for a bank stash.

They should be able to use a rowboat. They can experience fishing and water travel.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Mesanna (actually I think it was in a newsletter) already stated that Endless Journey is not intended to replace "paid" accounts (which is probably why they insist on not calling it Free-to-Play), so people should not expect it to replace any paid account(s). It also states that the restrictions are still actively being developed in the link quoted above, hopefully it will be successful.

The existing players would just use EJ accounts to farm for free without tying up their paid account(s) & pass bags of farmed goods over to their paid account(s) to store/sell, either through the trade window or just dropping the items on the ground to pickup with an account that could use/sell them. -This is where most of the "cheating" comes in. At least the people running bots now are paying for each account in order to do it. Probably won't need to after EJ is launched, unless they figure out a way to limit that somehow.

Perhaps items that enter the backpack of an EJ account become "account bound" until game-time is applied or it goes up for auction through this "vault" thing.
So basically if you look at the current trial account restrictions, they can only receive basic ore and logs (iron, plain logs)... no resources, ingredients or scrolls. I doubt they'll change that once they go over the list and honestly that might have been a gold mine to farm like 10 years+ ago but now those basics resources are abundant and almost worthless

"When EJ gets here I'm going to have an idoc finder running 24/7 on every shard" ~ Person I will not name

There will be major cheating if not properly handled.... and that is just ONE way they will indeed create more cheating, I've heard of several now. For everyone who used free accounts in their nefarious endeavours making said accounts not expire will make it much easier to do. Some really think outside the box so Mesanna needs to be up to the task of doing the same. Let's hope she is.
So this is a good point but then again where's the big threat? Most of these idoc guys already have multiple accounts and scout possible idocs 24/7... their paying accounts will have the advantage of being able to place a house amongst other things... while EJ accounts can't

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Can regular paid accounts place more than one house on the same or different shards now days? IE two new houses in Atl, or one house in each of 2-3 other shards? I thought that there can only be one house per account in uo?

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Yes one house per account plus one on Siege/Mugen (spelling?)

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
in fact it seems they can't even be friended to a house, if I've read the notes correctly...please correct me if I'm wrong! :)
Read that too.

If it turns out that way, kinda sucks. My house is in Fel and therefore not public. While in Trammel everybody can just set his house public and host EJ toons. But yea, I'm used to feeling that way :p

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So basically if you look at the current trial account restrictions, they can only receive basic ore and logs (iron, plain logs)... no resources, ingredients or scrolls. I doubt they'll change that once they go over the list and honestly that might have been a gold mine to farm like 10 years+ ago but now those basics resources are abundant and almost worthless
I was referring mostly to legendary items & direct-to-pack artifacts. There currently aren't any posted restrictions on it, yet they're top-tier equipment.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, if it ends up being like trail accounts there really won't be anything worth farming. No colored resources, no backpack drops. I feel like if you have a paid account it would be a superior choice to activly play even a short time doing everything a EJ account could conceivably do automated. Unless they are way less restricted than expected.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was referring mostly to legendary items & direct-to-pack artifacts. There currently aren't any posted restrictions on it, yet they're top-tier equipment.
Don't think they can get drops (nothing for sure yet of course, but I reallllly doubt it) and nothing with good loot could conceivably be automated.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Read that too.

If it turns out that way, kinda sucks. My house is in Fel and therefore not public. While in Trammel everybody can just set his house public and host EJ toons. But yea, I'm used to feeling that way :p
Well, you could dual account trade window with yourself, or if EJ can drop things in boxes make your house public, but make all the entries private, and a box for them on the porch. If they can't drop things in boxes, just do a house search for hidden people, then just drop the stuff on the floor. That's how we used to do it in the olden days. :p

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, you could dual account trade window with yourself, or if EJ can drop things in boxes make your house public, but make all the entries private, and a box for them on the porch. If they can't drop things in boxes, just do a house search for hidden people, then just drop the stuff on the floor. That's how we used to do it in the olden days. :p
Yea, I could also bend over backwards! :p

(or finally move to a tram house ;))

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea, I could also bend over backwards! :p

(or finally move to a tram house ;))
it's not too bad really. Honestly though I don't think there's much appeal in an EJ account if you already have a sub unless you play on siege. On siege you get a free mule for all the non scrolled skills. When you only have the one character, that's a pretty big bonus.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
You don't need special resources to fill BoDs.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Per Mesanna, EJ accounts will be able to get special resources, ingreedients and scrolls. Should this be the case? Hells no. It would open up UO to enconomic manipulation on an epic scale. Do I expect them to pull their heads from betwixt their nethers and change course? Not without some serious pancakes, cajoling and outright shaming from the community...

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Ummm Your namesake BoD.

View attachment 74282

But Most dont need. Some cooking need hard to find resources and some Carpentry.
Yea but with the new shiny banking point system for bods, the point stands. With regular resources, you can bank enough points to claim any and all rewards. With an automation the time investment is a moot point.