• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So, Back After a Couple Years Or So...

Ruby Knight

Sage
Stratics Veteran
So, I decided to play again. Was gone a couple of years. So much has changed. I am playing my SW Mage, fun stuff with the new Primer advancement. I spent what money I had in my bank to put together a suit- NOT CHEAP! Now I am looking for some ways to make some gold...

What can a solo SW Mage go hunt now days to get the best bang for my buck, so to speak? What quest has rewards that are worth a bit of coin? What baddies can I solo without dying every 2 minutes? I need to make enough gold to gear my other toons up. Any suggestions?

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Depending on how good your gear is, farming the roof of Shadowguard in Eodon is a good way to make gold.

It's also possible to make about a million gold per hour by farming Troglodytes in the painted caves, with a bag of sending. They are easy to kill, instant respawn time, and have about 1,000 gold each. Just stay away from the bosses in the back of the dungeon, they ruin it pretty fast.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Depending on how good your gear is, farming the roof of Shadowguard in Eodon is a good way to make gold.

It's also possible to make about a million gold per hour by farming Troglodytes in the painted caves, with a bag of sending. They are easy to kill, instant respawn time, and have about 1,000 gold each. Just stay away from the bosses in the back of the dungeon, they ruin it pretty fast.
Looting a trog every 4 seconds for an hour straight is pretty ambitious, Capt :just saying:

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Looting a trog every 4 seconds for an hour straight is pretty ambitious, Capt :just saying:
I never actually did the math on it, but yeah that would be a bit hard. A few guildies told me they were able to do it regularly so I figured it was possible for most people. I guess they never specified whether they did it with or without scripts though...

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never actually did the math on it, but yeah that would be a bit hard. A few guildies told me they were able to do it regularly so I figured it was possible for most people. I guess they never specified whether they did it with or without scripts though...
Don't know how well a weaver mage would do there but a dexer can farm them 24/7. Did they up the gold on them? I have not been to the Painted Caves in years but seem to remember they dropped 450-500.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ah, yes, the guildies and their Big Fish stories ;)
A note for the OP: Don't know what shard you're on, but if it's Atlantic, I always say try the net tosses at the New Magincia docks midnight Saturday and noon Sunday - a single-tile soul forge deed off a Scalis can net you (pun intended) 100M.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Depending on your wishes for that template, you can always consider tweaking it a bit to add mysticism.
The one is use has:
120 (all)
Magery
Eval Int
Meditation
Focus
Mysticism
Spellweaving
And I occasionally Stone off medi and put on resisting spells if the need arises
The rising colossus deals and withstands quite a bit of damage. Plus the mastery (any of them) makes it a bit tougher.
RCs can tank while you unleash damage spells on the target. Coupled with a few Slayer books you can do a bit of damage. I used this template to farm white wyrms and sell the leather. They also drop a decent amount of coin as well.
Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is a list I use for my SW Mage;

All Virtues - fun, have benefits.
PvP - great support character.
Champ Spawn - with others preferably, hard to solo.
Reknowned Devourer - chance of insane tinkers leggings - done 1000's myself never got one - good imbue drops.
Reknowned Wyvern - chance of insane tinkers leggings - done 1000's never got one, great imbue drops.
Melisandre - only peerless a SW/ pure mage can solo. Chance of Crimson Cincture.
BT Balron - lvl 5 t maps/BT artifacts.
White Wyrm - Barbed leather.
Orcish Brute - Shadow ingots.
Exodus Keys - so another character can do exodus...
Solens - Bags of sending.
BT Mages - BT artifacts.
BT Golden Elementals - gold ingots/BT artifacts.
Navrey - chance of Tangle.
Arctic Ogre Lord - to collect rubbish items easily to unravel for imbuing.

Not really much tbh, you are better off grabbing a Sampire and just soloing all game content.
Apologies for the jaded tone, I'm on my way out, fantastic game, just got too complicated, and all focused around 1 or 2 templates.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Depending on your wishes for that template, you can always consider tweaking it a bit to add mysticism.
The one is use has:
120 (all)
Magery
Eval Int
Meditation
Focus
Mysticism
Spellweaving
And I occasionally Stone off medi and put on resisting spells if the need arises
The rising colossus deals and withstands quite a bit of damage. Plus the mastery (any of them) makes it a bit tougher.
RCs can tank while you unleash damage spells on the target. Coupled with a few Slayer books you can do a bit of damage. I used this template to farm white wyrms and sell the leather. They also drop a decent amount of coin as well.
Hope this helps

I use the same template and I'd add that a level 3 weaving mastery gives that lovely reaper that pretty much owns a lot of things... makes a seriously wonderful shield and tank.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My PVM dexxer (Paladin with Healing) can pretty much sit in Painted Caves and <yawn> take Trogs for quite a while. I get bored after a bit and lure in one of the bosses. Enemy of One and 4 Trogs are no problem.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So, I decided to play again. Was gone a couple of years. So much has changed. I am playing my SW Mage, fun stuff with the new Primer advancement. I spent what money I had in my bank to put together a suit- NOT CHEAP! Now I am looking for some ways to make some gold...

What can a solo SW Mage go hunt now days to get the best bang for my buck, so to speak? What quest has rewards that are worth a bit of coin? What baddies can I solo without dying every 2 minutes? I need to make enough gold to gear my other toons up. Any suggestions?
Welcome back friend :)

Ruby Knight

Sage
Stratics Veteran
My template:
120 mage
120 eval
120 resist
120 med
100 inscription
120 SW
20 Focus

My suit:
All 70
100 lrc
55 lmc
100 sdi
3/8 casting
30 dci
420 luck
30 mr
12 casting focus
Total of 127 ho
Total of 249 Mana
SW pr 3
I have halo, garb, jumu, minax sandals, tangle and slither.

I don't want to change my template as it seems to work pretty good. I do plan to rework my shower to a sampire. I might even try and rework my archer to a sampire as well.

In the meantime I am looking for ways to gather the 500+ mil it takes to build their suits.

These have been great suggestions. I enjoy the solo game. I dislike feel champs because of all the chests and cheaters.

So, keep those suggestions coming. Remember, I am mostly just interested in what my template can do since that is all I have built at the moment.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards

archer-mage-spellweaver.jpg

The above is the one temp plate I use on Sonoma, I have another that is a tamer/mage/SW. So what shard are you playing on?

Ruby Knight

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Currently on ATL. Weren't enough players on Napa or Pac for me to even build my suit. So, I moved to ATL.

Been having fun in the sorcerer's dungeon. Made some gold off the Origin items but that is going away. Looking for what is next that I can do without trying to find a group to go with.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Renowned Wyvern is easy Fairy Dragons you can pull 90-100k gold each round before the forgotten servants spawn. If you do it right you can leave more than enough fairy dragons to wipe out enough servants to spawn the R Wyvern and let the fairy dragons tank for you while pounding it with spells and finishing it with a WOD. The let the Fairy dragons respawn and wipe out any remaining servants and repeat. Having 120 mystic and 120 focus in the mix helps a lot as the RCs are very powerful at that point. I run 120 mage, 120 mystic, 120 med 120 focus 120 eval and 120 Weaving on the toons I farm that spawn with. I usually run a 2300 luck suit with nothing special in the way of mods and 50-70 sdi. I typically get a tinker legs drop every 60-70 wyverns but have dry spells with 200-300 between drops. Can farm every renowned spawn in the abyss with that template........ except that annoying renowned Pixie. Can also Solo Navrey with it Lady M, Dread horn, and about anything else if you have the time and can stand the boredom of dropping one RC after another.

Personally for a gold maker PVM I would drop the 120 resist and inscription and add 120 mystic and focus or Imbuing (Either Give the Mystic more mojo and imbue lets you unravel and gives you relic frags to use or sell). I used to run the same template as yours but the Mystic just gives so much more punch and options and is easier to play.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
y
Renowned Wyvern is easy Fairy Dragons you can pull 90-100k gold each round before the forgotten servants spawn. If you do it right you can leave more than enough fairy dragons to wipe out enough servants to spawn the R Wyvern and let the fairy dragons tank for you while pounding it with spells and finishing it with a WOD. The let the Fairy dragons respawn and wipe out any remaining servants and repeat. Having 120 mystic and 120 focus in the mix helps a lot as the RCs are very powerful at that point. I run 120 mage, 120 mystic, 120 med 120 focus 120 eval and 120 Weaving on the toons I farm that spawn with. I usually run a 2300 luck suit with nothing special in the way of mods and 50-70 sdi. I typically get a tinker legs drop every 60-70 wyverns but have dry spells with 200-300 between drops. Can farm every renowned spawn in the abyss with that template........ except that annoying renowned Pixie. Can also Solo Navrey with it Lady M, Dread horn, and about anything else if you have the time and can stand the boredom of dropping one RC after another.

Personally for a gold maker PVM I would drop the 120 resist and inscription and add 120 mystic and focus or Imbuing (Either Give the Mystic more mojo and imbue lets you unravel and gives you relic frags to use or sell). I used to run the same template as yours but the Mystic just gives so much more punch and options and is easier to play.
you can solo the renowned Pixie with that template, it just takes a looong time to kill her. and on Siege it's likely you will get ganked before you finish her

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
y

you can solo the renowned Pixie with that template, it just takes a looong time to kill her. and on Siege it's likely you will get ganked before you finish her
Yeah , I just can't consider the pixie a solo critter on a template that takes a month of sundays to kill. Although with Fey Slayer Spell books now it might go a lot faster.

Ruby Knight

Sage
Stratics Veteran

Thanks for that info. I Stoned Resist and Inscribe and am working my way up on Mysticism and Focus. Would you share your technique on soloing any of the aforementioned solo battles? Having a template and suit is only 1/2 the battle. I'd love to get an idea on the other half. Thanks!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for that info. I Stoned Resist and Inscribe and am working my way up on Mysticism and Focus. Would you share your technique on soloing any of the aforementioned solo battles? Having a template and suit is only 1/2 the battle. I'd love to get an idea on the other half. Thanks!
For the Wyvern I kill the fairy dragons at the back end of the spawn by the stairs. When the regular wyverns spawn I beat up by the broken bridge with dragging as many wyverns as I can get to agrro on me with me. Fairy dragons wipe them out fast and up by the bridge you now have a Army of Fairy Dragons. When the Servants spawn the FDs will start ganking them. Move toward the stairs area and drop RCs on the servants to the rear. by the stairs. When the wyvern renowned spawns hopefully toward the front/broken bridge area, the fairy dragons gank it and you can drop RCs to assist them while spamming spells with a reptile slayer spell book. Wyvern kills most if not all of the FDs but they drag its life bar down to less than 1/2 usually and RCs hit the wyvern hard. When the wyvern gets low on health get your mana up, it will start hovering where the RC can't hit it, this is when you want to start dropping those big WOD on it usually 2-3 is all it takes with max focus. Loot the Wyvern, Loot all the dead FDs and wait for the new spawn of FDs to start. I leave the servants at the stairs area for the new spawn, of FDs they will kill a good number of the FDs for you before the FDs clean them up. All you have to do is run around looting the FDs and invising when a Servant targets you and drop RCs here and there to whack servants and FDs alike, That gets the second spawn of wyverns and servants up a lot faster, while not speeding up your gold and imbue ingred collections. And just keep repeating over and over and over and over and you rack up a nice pile of gold and ingreds in the process and hopefully many tinker legs.

Three things to watch out for. The Wyverns Breath Weapon Hits hard, not a bad idea to plant a sapling seed in the entrance hallway for a quick rez. Servants can deal a lot of damage fast with multiples target you. Keep invis and greater heal and a healing stone on a macro and always keep your health max and be ready to invis fast. My Number one way of dying there is not watching my weight. The Gold adds up fast there and it sucks to have 2-3 servants or Wyvern Renowned hot on yer heels and your stam run out because you are over loaded with gold. Actually 4 things The Servants will loot you if you die and they loot the gold from the FDs. I killed a servant once that had 58k of someones looted gold on it, and no one around to give it to :( And it is annoying when someone kills all the fairy dragons and leave the Servants. They are time consuming to kill to get the regular flow of the spawn going :)

Take a fully charged bag of sending or three if you are going to camp there for a long time. Sacrifice and Honor are real nice virtues to be up in for self rez and honoring yourself to get your corpse back. If you die and need a rez just run out to the garg town and go straight out from the tomb on the center road and there is a healer......... I believe second or 3rd building on the left. Use your healing to stone to get max health back and run back. Not a horrible trip there and back...... Unless you have to make it often.

All of the abyss renowned spawns work on the same basic mechanics, I just like the wyvern because the FDs and servants will do a good portion of the killing for you. I like doing the renowned Liche and Fire elemental as well. Both of those renowneds drop fast to RCs and the Ess. their spawns drop is some of the most useful. But gold is not as good as FDs and Servants.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is nobody going to address the elephant in the room? That he has 55LMC therefore a non medable suit but has meditation instead of focus...
Good work stratics

Ruby Knight

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Is nobody going to address the elephant in the room? That he has 55LMC therefore a non medable suit but has meditation instead of focus...
Good work stratics
I know, as does most, that it is capped at 40. However, it is quite difficult to make a suit like this just 40 lmc. For a while I was running 160 lrc too.

Armor and jewelry is so overpowered with mods now there is no reason you can't max out a lot of stuff and go over caps. That is the elephant in the room really. I have one armor item that is like 115 total resist and 6 or 7 additional stats.

The other elephant is you can add 120 skill points with wearing 2 peices of jewelry with +60 on each. The difficult part is finding the jewelry that goes with your template. Not really hard, more like uncommon.

Or how about the elephant of being able to solo nearly every creature in UO with a nice suit, template and a little time and know-how.

Man, so many elephants so little time...

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe with a non-meable suit you can break that cap at 55lmc....med would be wasted so you would use focus instead(if you can fit it in). These suits work great for tamers.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Good work stratics
And on yet another thread, instead of contributing in any way to questions asked and the help wanted, you make a negative remark. Geez.

If they are relatively new, it may just be she doesn’t have what she needs yet. Focus might better yes, but keeping medi can be beneficial if she gets the advice she needs.

Instead of criticizing, why not phrase it like,
Oh I notice based on one of your stats that something is amiss. Here is some info on it, do with it what you will.

*shakes head*

Last edited:

Ruby Knight

Sage
Stratics Veteran
C
And on yet another thread, instead of contributing in any way to questions asked and the help wanted, you make a negative remark. Geez.

If they are relatively new, it may just be he doesn’t have what he needs yet. Focus might better yes, but keeping medi can be beneficial if he gets the advice he needs.

Instead of criticizing, why not phrase it like,
Oh I notice based on one of your stats that something is amiss. Here is some info on it, do with it what you will.

*shakes head*

I'm confused a bit. The suit is med, it just has so many +LMC that it hit 55. It also has a ton of MR on it. I regen about 90% of what Meditation does when active. I did not see the comment as negative really.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Only nonmedable pieces can overcap the LMC. my point is that instead of bashing no one for pointing it out ( I myself never noticed it until he said something) he could have said something more constructive.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll suggest you keep you're sw-mage for events, or group hunts (a few WoDs usually gives looting rights, also healing people/pets), because on his own, he aien't gonna solo much on his own.
To get some decent gold, i'll suggest making a T-hunter, some of the gear you can find over in the trade forum selling for 200mill ++ has been pulled out of lvl 6-7 chests.
It does require alot of work thou. (U need to open a crap lot of boxes)

For a starter template you can go something like this
110 mysti
110 focus
100 magery
100 lockpicking
100 carto
100 mining (makes it easy to find the box)
To get maps, kill maisma (cast RC) not the most optimal way but it works.
I will also suggest you use EC for faster loot speed. (In EC when u open a box u can see everything in it, this u cant in CC)
Welcome back and good luck.

Ruby Knight

Sage
Stratics Veteran
You didn't explain why they cant get 55 LMC on a medable suit....

She seems to think she can.
If you mean me, I already stated that I know you cannot have 55 LMC on a medable suit. I was just stating that I HAVE 55 LMC total on my suit.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you mean me, I already stated that I know you cannot have 55 LMC on a medable suit. I was just stating that I HAVE 55 LMC total on my suit.
If you have 100 med and 100 eval, wouldn't that give more passive mana regen than 100 Focus?

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you have 100 med and 100 eval, wouldn't that give more passive mana regen than 100 Focus?
no.
A character receives neither passive nor active Meditation bonuses while wearing non-medable armor unless it has Mage Armor as an item property. Many warriors instead take up the Focus skill, which has similar effects to Meditation but no armor-based limitations.
Quote from UOGuide ( Meditation - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia )
if u want to calculate MR check out the cool calculator over at knuckleheads (Mana Regeneration Calc | Knuckleheads.dk)

Ruby Knight

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I am wearing fully medable and/or mage armor. I am honestly sorry that I put how much LMC was on my suit. It was more to show that the extra mods on armor and jewelry was over powered, not to insinuate that I was cheating some system.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
no.
A character receives neither passive nor active Meditation bonuses while wearing non-medable armor unless it has Mage Armor as an item property. Many warriors instead take up the Focus skill, which has similar effects to Meditation but no armor-based limitations.
Quote from UOGuide ( Meditation - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia )
if u want to calculate MR check out the cool calculator over at knuckleheads (Mana Regeneration Calc | Knuckleheads.dk)
Thanks. I did not know about passive meditation not working with non medable suits. I don't have it with a non med suit but good to know.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So you see Pawain, even experienced players can find the game confusing, I try and get the devs to explain the game more with system messages etc and request they show +3% Lower Mana Cost/ +3% Max mod on studded/bone armour, next time you might not jump on my back so readily.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
next time you might not jump on my back so readily.
I said, "Take over". You are the one that knows about the "hidden" properties on the items and wants them displayed. I was ready to learn something new.