• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Strategy for Shadowlords

xxrod17xx

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Ok guys, my main shard is Pacific (pretty slow shard these days) and I play VERY late at night so going to do the new boss with a large group isn't an option. I went last night when boss was down to 10% and everyone there was a thrower.

-are u guys using the crabs? How effective are they?
-I consider myself to be a good samp, how effective are they, I didn't do terrible with all the wisps around
- we have to have a bard with disco I assume?
-what templates are you brining and what are you doing to stay alive?

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I too would love to hear some strategies. My associates and I have determined only that throwing our corpses at him for well over an hour until we annoy him to death is NOT the ideal tactic.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One Sampire, 2 Healers who constantly heal him. 4-5 others who attack him from a distance but kill the Shadow Wisps first when they appear and protect the healers. Fastes time on Drachs, 15 Minutes.

Last edited:

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One Sampire, 2 Healers who constantly heal him. 4-5 others who attack him from a distance but kill the Shadow Wisps first when they appear and protect the healers. Fastes time on Drachs, 15 Minutes.
Oh nice. A tank, two healer and 4-5 DDs xD
Does the tank do anything special to keep the threat/aggro? Or don't these guys switch their targets?

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh nice. A tank, two healer and 4-5 DDs xD
Does the tank do anything special to keep the threat/aggro? Or don't these guys switch their targets?
As long he did not had to run from too many Dark Wisps the Shadowlord stayed on him. Its realy important to kill the Dark wisps as fast as possible before there are too many.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Has anyone had any luck with the paralithodes? (If not, what is the point of them?) Can you use tamers with paralithodes and a pack of healers instead of a sampire?

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Has anyone had any luck with the paralithodes? (If not, what is the point of them?) Can you use tamers with paralithodes and a pack of healers instead of a sampire?

You can, but like Cora, the Shadowlord summons the tamer. And occasionally follows them when they run off, which can cause things to go haywire in a hurry. If you want to use paralithodes, I'd tame them then once the combat starts, let the tamer die and use another character to heal them. That's what we did with Cora for a while.

The idea is this.

The tank doesn't have to be a sampire. You want a melee charater with 120 weapon skill, 45 DCI, as much HP as possible, with like HLD, HLA, ML, Area Effect.

Then you want a bard to discord the Shadowlord. You also want that bard to have the Peace Songs. I'd say peace first, then Provocation. Have the tank in the same party as the melee character(s).

If you have multiple tanks, cross healing works nicely.

Other than that, you mainly need healers. It's not worth the loss of control of the fight to have people attacking the Shadowlord with spells. You'll get some idiots who feel it's their right and who will screw it up for everyone else.

Haven't tried an archer or thrower, but I view them like attacking spell casters, if it causes or can cause loss of control, it's just not worth the damage.

Word of Death doesn't work on Shadowlords.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As long he did not had to run from too many Dark Wisps the Shadowlord stayed on him. Its realy important to kill the Dark wisps as fast as possible before there are too many.

Having a tank with a Whirlwind weapon and blackrock goes a long way to kill off the wisp quickly.

That is why I am leaning towards the axe with AI/WW as being the best weapon to fight the Shadowlord with. Unless you don't mind switching from AI to WW.

Speranza

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What exactly does the Blackrock do? We took it with us last time and I didn't notice any difference after sorting through all my deathrobes :)

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It allows you to hit the Dark Wisp when they put up their shield.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd be on Atlantic farming it now, except my wife is busy making clay dragons that seem to sell faster than she can make them.

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Whats ironic is when we do the Shadowlord us 4 with our tactics it takes about 12 minutes to do it, but when a group a 10 people join in (vive Atl!), then it becomes a mess its then a one hour fight. thats why I ask for the option to do it privatly, but then if they dont change the current drops, im not going there anymore.

Last edited:

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can, but like Cora, the Shadowlord summons the tamer. And occasionally follows them when they run off, which can cause things to go haywire in a hurry. If you want to use paralithodes, I'd tame them then once the combat starts, let the tamer die and use another character to heal them. That's what we did with Cora for a while.
Does that work? I know they summon you to them, much like Mephitis, Purifying Blood Elementals, and the Harrower do - in Mephitis' case, it didn't matter if she was the aggressor on my pets or not, she still pulled me in while I was healing them. Anyone else that healed the Paralithodes would probably get the same treatment from the SL's.

I too would love to hear some strategies. My associates and I have determined only that throwing our corpses at him for well over an hour until we annoy him to death is NOT the ideal tactic.
Personally, I'm a fan of the "cast at them, run, invis, try again, and hope to god you don't die because nobody else is around" tactic. I tried that a few nights ago and I think I spent more time running away from Faulinei.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Personally, I'm a fan of the "cast at them, run, invis, try again, and hope to god you don't die because nobody else is around" tactic. I tried that a few nights ago and I think I spent more time running away from Faulinei.
That was pretty much the same as throwing our corpses at him. We needed a tank, but all we had was a couple casters, a couple archers, and a tamer who couldn't keep the paras alive to save her life. (That'd be me.) So we all kinda ran around throwing spitballs at him and expanding our deathrobe collections. It was really sad.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does that work? I know they summon you to them, much like Mephitis, Purifying Blood Elementals, and the Harrower do - in Mephitis' case, it didn't matter if she was the aggressor on my pets or not, she still pulled me in while I was healing them. Anyone else that healed the Paralithodes would probably get the same treatment from the SL's.

Not sure I understand the question (as in why wouldn't it work?).... but yeah, just let the tamer die. and use someone else to heal the pets. If not, the tamer is going to keep getting sucked in and if they try to run, can drag the creature around with them. You might could trying invising or hiding... but honestly, pets are such a detriment in these kind of fights, I wouldn't bother.

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As usual my guild went there without any strategy. We use to do well using our normal group play. For the night we had no bard and no warrior type . Two tame3rs grabbed two crabs each and the people not needed for that went inside. Do I have to say it was a disaster? But it was humblyfieing:D.
Yesterday it was time for revenge . Bard (Petra Fyde) came along for discording and provoking wisp on the boss , playing her songs and healing. We still had no tank so had to use four tanking crabs. They died at the middle of the fight and had to be replaced once. The tamers died alot , the rest of us that mainly healed crabs and tamers did fine or atleast ok. There were other people there doing their things and made the boss change target alot. We all had an insured piece of blackrock in the backpack.

Took a while but we did it! Next time our best sampire will be dusted off and hopefully we will do it more proffessional and fast:cool:

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Next time our best sampire will be dusted off and hopefully we will do it more proffessional and fast:cool:
I think I am going to try my paladin next time. basically a sampire template, remove necromancy for either resist spells or healing.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure I understand the question (as in why wouldn't it work?).... but yeah, just let the tamer die. and use someone else to heal the pets. If not, the tamer is going to keep getting sucked in and if they try to run, can drag the creature around with them. You might could trying invising or hiding... but honestly, pets are such a detriment in these kind of fights, I wouldn't bother.
Yeah, basically. They'd suck in whoever was healing the pet, making things a little...difficult. Of course, that could have applied with the monsters I listed simply because it was my pet they attacked, but I'm not entirely sure (Purifying Bloods usually focused more on my pet anyway, and if it's Mephitis or the Harrower, you RUN) - it's similar to Lich Lords/Succubi and other AoE abilities retargeting if you're in their immediate vicinity.

ziox

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bump!

Any 2017 new methods template against this bad boy?

Slappyjipper

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I think a tank, 2+ healers & discorder is still the best method. Alternatively it can be fought solo as a sampire ;)

If you want a challenge! : - Raise your Honor to its maximum before the fight. Balrons or Succubi are good for this. When fighting the Shadowlord boss, honor yourself (will last 5 minutes if your at max honor) so the wisps don't attack you. Equip an armour ignore weapon and try to kill the boss before the honor runs out :D If it is about to run out hide in a corner until you can self honor again. The boss isn't too strong. It's the wisps that make the fight difficult. And you will want Resist on your character or plenty of enchanted apples to remove curses and blood oaths.

ziox

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks for your answer,
it means that he is always so hard. Despite all the capabilities we have to get stuffed, trying to solo it seems to be useless and inefficient.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Bump!

Any 2017 new methods template against this bad boy?
Ahhhh... necro ;) Gotta love it :)

I went to check out the Paralithodes shortly after the Pet Revamp.. at that time they could be trained up as well... It would probably take a good while to get one to level 5 considering the limited critters there to kill but would be interested in seeing how the would handle the fight at level 5. I know running with two of them at the boss was a PITA...