• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is it worth coming back?

Fallesafe

Visitor
Hey all,

I played UO in the late 90s/early 2000s; and I'm surprised to see that it's still going. I'm in communication with customer support, right now, to see if I can recover my old account. But I broke down last night, and paid 14 dollars to start a new account and take a look around. And it was a little depressing, honestly, to see how empty my old server (Catskills) was. I ran around for 45 minutes before I found another player. And I saw HUUUGE tracts of land with no player housing. BUt maybe I just wasn't looking in the right places. So I wanted to get a bit of advice about whether the game is still worth coming back to.

I quit shortly after UO Renaissance, when the game got split into two duplicate worlds. I really enjoyed PvP, and ESPECIALLY playing my thief. All my characters were old-school 100, 25, 100 7x GMs (which was the thing to be at that time). Mage PvP was all about precasting spells and whacking each other with halbreds before targeting. And people were getting banned for using UO extreme, and speed-hacking.:D Some questions I have are:

1) Is there still much PvP in the game now?
2) Are disarm thieves still viable?
3) What do current PvP builds look like?
4) Can you still loot people who die?
5) Does "feluccia" see much action? It looked like a ghost town last night.
6) Where do players spend most of their time these days?

Thanks!

Last edited:

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well its free to play after xmas /come spring so would be no brainer?? no

most servers are quite except ATL which as id sy 75% of the UO population playing....so if u want action...just saying...

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
PvP is almost non existent on most servers except Atlantic, and you definitely won't have much use for your thief anywhere other than atlantic either. Most other servers, catskills included, is usually just a couple of small groups who fight once a week or less over spawns. If you don't want to be bored or discouraged with your play history of thieving and pvp considered, I highly advise you to start over on Atlantic. There are usually always people to mess with at yew gate, and several guilds will pop harrowers and despise fights throughout the week.

Most PvPers everywhere else will play on Atlantic, and only go to their small home shards once in awhile when a guild rises up and becomes active.

morPR

PRmeister
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So.... start a guild where you are. Farm "Champ Spawns" and sell to Atlantic players for profit.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
A player like @Aedon Durreah might give you a better perspective of Catskills and they have weekly tavern nights (might want to check it out), but one thing for sure population is low on every shard compared to Atlantic... depends what your looking for though, cuz some like it quiet

Welcome back :)

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The game is still fun, but there will be a learning curve. The game is definitely not lively like it was when you left so if you are looking to relive "the good old days" you will be disappointed, but if you want to have some fun and possibly create a new experience, then give it a shot.

RockoNV

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Napa Valley is not dead and I have a very active guild. Come on over and give it a try. Just ask in chat for an invite to UOS.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes its is well worth returning...
New content, changed dungeons, crafting updates, new pets and taming for pets... I could go on about all the different things we have but why jabber when you can come try it... Are you not worth the 12.99 for a one month trial?

As for shard populations... if you have not noticed Atlantic's has gotten rather thin of late..
Many shards now are getting back returning players and friends meeting up and having fun again on old stomping grounds.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's $10 to get 30 days which is a bargain. Buy a game time and check out the different servers and see how you get on.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My thoughts, based on what you've said, is that you might like the shard Siege. Their rulesets are pretty much pre-tram, the community there is supportive and active, albeit like most shards, quiet. There is a chat channel which most use on all the shards. That helps in forging new friendships and getting set-up.

Just remember that in like all things, things change. All your old friends are mostly gone and with them your created experiences. You can't rebuild that same experience, you have to make a new ones. Go in with some humility and respect for others, forge new friendships and enemies and make it fun. No one likes a thief so make one that people will laugh at while you're robbing them blind. On Siege, returning stolen items goes far. Just don't go in there banging your chest saying you're the greatest, blah blah blah. Like anywhere else, you'll be ignored and people will avoid you. That song has been played a few too many times over the past 20 years.

And my apologies to my friends on Siege. Hopefully you'll someday forgive an old lady for suggesting a thief go reek chaos and pandemonium upon your lands and people. :stir:

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
you can try the 14day free before paying and get the feel for the game, several areas will be not allowed for you till you decide to upgrade the account to play in those areas.

If you still have all the OLD information on your account you had back then you might be able to get it back. I was gone for 7 yrs and got my accounts back as I had kept all that information.

Ultima Store – Ultima Online
A Summary for Returning Players – Ultima Online
Origin

You need to purchase a few more to completely play the game with everyone in the UO world. Link above.
Ultima Online™ Time of Legends
Ultima Online™: Stygian Abyss™ (Account Upgrade)
Ultima Online™: High Seas Booster

There are others as well if you wish to own or craft certain items

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My thoughts, based on what you've said, is that you might like the shard Siege. Their rulesets are pretty much pre-tram, the community there is supportive and active, albeit like most shards, quiet. There is a chat channel which most use on all the shards. That helps in forging new friendships and getting set-up.

Just remember that in like all things, things change. All your old friends are mostly gone and with them your created experiences. You can't rebuild that same experience, you have to make a new ones. Go in with some humility and respect for others, forge new friendships and enemies and make it fun. No one likes a thief so make one that people will laugh at while you're robbing them blind. On Siege, returning stolen items goes far. Just don't go in there banging your chest saying you're the greatest, blah blah blah. Like anywhere else, you'll be ignored and people will avoid you. That song has been played a few too many times over the past 20 years.

And my apologies to my friends on Siege. Hopefully you'll someday forgive an old lady for suggesting a thief go reek chaos and pandemonium upon your lands and people. :stir:
Let's hope the Thief can survive it . . .

Lady Kyo

Seasoned Veteran
A player like @Aedon Durreah might give you a better perspective of Catskills and they have weekly tavern nights (might want to check it out), but one thing for sure population is low on every shard compared to Atlantic... depends what your looking for though, cuz some like it quiet

Welcome back :)
Give Catskills another chance. I started there back in 2001. I restarted in 2016 on Atlantic myself but last month, I took the leap and LEFT Atlantic for Catskills, leaving a toon on Atl but reactivating my Catskills toons and transferring my goods to Catskills. Yes, its quiet but no trash talk in Gen Chat and lack of drama is heaven!

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I play across several shards, but with the housing rules, I only have homes on Sonoma and Siege. Still, overall I am glad I returned in 2015, there are things today that make me wish I had stayed in during that time. Like the shard transfer shields. Luckily I have old friends that were still playing the game that have this and allows me to transfer updated gear to my other characters across several shards and also bring home drops and gifts.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Of Course it is worth coming back to you should never "Leave". Today's games are mostly geared out for low attention spans. Uo is and can be as short or as long you want at any time. Love it.

Last edited:

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know how it is on other shards, but on Pacific the best way to connect with the community is through Global Chat on the General Channel. You might want to try it on your own server. Also, you might want to stick around until March to see how Endless Journeys turns out. At any rate, welcome back! I hope you stay!

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Where is this happening?
In the last couple of weeks, I have talked to two different recently-returned players on Balhae while I was checking my shop vendors. One was an American and the other is, I suspect, either Korean or Japanese.

I hope that people who run shops selling the basics on the quieter shops will continue to persevere in doing so and maybe speak up here if they notice that demand for those basic items is growing. Give us all a little hope that the news about Endless Journey is starting to slowly bring in a few old players here and there.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lets see...
Napa has had a few show up.
Catskills new and returning vets!,
Oceania a big influx of returning players and they brought a few new too. Way to go Aussies!!
I have also had friends comment on LS, Legend, SP, GL, Pac and a few others of returning players...
Oh lets not forget Europa too...

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Atlantic has some returning players as well, I've gotten messages from a few old guildies I haven't seen in 5+ years that they have come back during the last few days.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
See I am not blowing smoke up your drawers!
We are getting returning and new people. You just have to look around.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've talked to 3 people who recently returned after a TEN YEAR hiatus...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Where is this happening?
We get a couple of returning players that I meet on LS every 10 days. The last one was before there were GDs. Don is with one tonight training up his Bane. Not an impressive number but any amount is good.

I give them the LS tour. I include the Sir Annoyed Statue we have by the bank.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EJ will go live, people WILL return. See the joke Armor ad the Economy have become. Log out..free shard test centers don’t have the kind of Armor you get on drops in current UO. The current level of good vs bad in Armor goes from 100k at the worst possible level to 1-2p pieces. Don’t forget, you start with what 1k gold... the rollout will be horrible and there will be a huge amount of. It would of worked if’s. That’s a guarantee.. sadly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Folks, if you want to discuss the Endless Journey trial account changes upcoming, please create separate thread and do not derail this one.

I did some thread clean up here for some of the unrelated remarks. Please ensure further posts are in-line of the OP's original topic, and perhaps see some of his numbered questions and provide a response.

superfrog

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hey all,

I played UO in the late 90s/early 2000s; and I'm surprised to see that it's still going. I'm in communication with customer support, right now, to see if I can recover my old account. But I broke down last night, and paid 14 dollars to start a new account and take a look around. And it was a little depressing, honestly, to see how empty my old server (Catskills) was. I ran around for 45 minutes before I found another player. And I saw HUUUGE tracts of land with no player housing. BUt maybe I just wasn't looking in the right places. So I wanted to get a bit of advice about whether the game is still worth coming back to.

I quit shortly after UO Renaissance, when the game got split into two duplicate worlds. I really enjoyed PvP, and ESPECIALLY playing my thief. All my characters were old-school 100, 25, 100 7x GMs (which was the thing to be at that time). Mage PvP was all about precasting spells and whacking each other with halbreds before targeting. And people were getting banned for using UO extreme, and speed-hacking.:D Some questions I have are:

1) Is there still much PvP in the game now? mostly Atlantic
2) Are disarm thieves still viable? Thieves in General aren't much use since insurance
3) What do current PvP builds look like? convoluted and you need a slide rule and abacus to do them properly
4) Can you still loot people who die? only what isn't insured, unless you go to Siege/Mugen
5) Does "feluccia" see much action? It looked like a ghost town last night. only by scriptbots and the occasional PVP'r Atlantic has some life there and Siege does since it only has Felucca
6) Where do players spend most of their time these days? General Chat and Yew Gate

Thanks!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) Is there still much PvP in the game now? Sometimes
2) Are disarm thieves still viable? On occasion
3) What do current PvP builds look like? Mages
4) Can you still loot people who die? Yes
5) Does "feluccia" see much action? It looked like a ghost town last night. NO
6) Where do players spend most of their time these days? Luna