• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Oceania Ventrilo and UO Radio Stations

Oceania Ventrilo

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Oceania has a free public Ventrilo voice chat server for all UO players to use!

Simply download a Ventrilo version 3 client for your device and enter the following details. Search for Ventrilo in the Google Play Store or Apple App Store to download Ventrilo clients for mobile devices, or simply go to Ventrilo.com to get the normal PC program (version 3). Note that no password is required (leave blank) to connect as a guest account. Contact an Admin or Mod to become registered.

Server Details:

IP: 108.61.168.224
Port: 4211

Oceania Ventrilo now also features two radio stations, Radio Oceania and Oceania Talk Radio. Log in to the Vent server to listen to the stations!

Radio Oceania plays the best music from the 80s, 90s, & today. Featuring the biggest hits from every genre from Rock to Classical and everything in-between, Radio Oceania is the soundtrack to Oceania!

Oceania Talk Radio is UO talk shows and podcasts from all around the world, including Australia! From interviews with UO creator Richard Garriott, to podcasts from players past and present, to play guides and reviews of the game itself, Oceania Talk Radio has it all.

Server Rules and Info:

Live Server Stats: Oceania Ventrilo

The Vent server is free for all Oceanian and Ultima Online players to use.

Please always treat others with respect when using this server. Abuse of any kind will not be tolerated!

Contact a mod or admin if you have any questions, need help, or would like to become a member to gain access to the Members Area. Private guild channels can also be created for you.

To contact an Admin or Mod, simply open a private chat with one by right clicking their name and opening the menu, then hover over User, then click Private Chat. Admins and Mods can be identified by the [SA] and [M] abbreviations before their names, respectively.

Explanation of the abbreviations that appear before usernames in the server:

(G) - Guest. Ask an Admin or Mod to become a user.
(R) Registered User.
(DJ) - Radio Station.
(S) - Special Account.
(M)- Moderator.
(A) - Admin.

FAQ:

Q: What does a "C", "N", "G", "M", "S" or "P" mean before a username?

A: "C" shows that a user has global chat open. "N" means the user is in a channel that is muted. This is usually in lobbies. Change channels to speak. "G" means the user has been globally muted. "M" means you muted the user. "S" shows you have special effects on a person, such as turning up their volume. "P" means phantom.

Q: How do I turn someone's volume up or down?

A: Right click the person's username. Go down to Miscellaneous. Click Special Effects. Move Volume from the Available side to Current. Adjust to what you desire. To change it highlight Volume under Current and click Properties.

Q: How do I get Ventrilo to work if I can't talk when another program is on top of it?

A: Close Ventrilo. Right click the Ventrilo shortcut icon on your desktop. Select Run as Administrator. Restart Ventrilo.

Q: Why have I been moved to the Auto Timeout channel?

A: After your computer has been inactive for over 90 minutes you will be automatically moved to this channel by the server. This is done to prevent people's data being wasted while they aren't using their computer.

Q: Can I use Ventrilo on my smartphone?

A: Yes! For Android users, get the Ventriloid app on the Google Play Store. For Apple users, get the Ventrilode app on the Apple App Store. These apps work in the same way that the Ventrilo program for PC does.

Last edited:

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awwww, vent. Sure brings back some memories.

Oceania Ventrilo

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Ventrilo in 2k17 ? "Discord" voice forever
We prefer Ventrilo for two reasons. Firstly, Discord is an unnecessarily bloated memory hog of a program. It uses somewhere in the order of 150MB of RAM while Vent only uses around 15MB. Secondly, the audio quality that Vent can provide is far superior to that of Discord. This is because Discord works as a shared server where you're sharing bandwidth with everyone else on the server, whilst with Vent you get dedicated bandwidth and it isn't all being sucked away by that WoW raid guild doing their thing in another Discord room. Often in Discord it will sound like you're talking through tin cans. Sure, if you want to have a decent text chat program with second rate audio quality that uses up way more computer resources than it should, then Discord is for you, but when it comes to straight up VoIP communications and radio streaming, Ventrilo is far superior.

Ventrilo in 2017? Yep! Ultima Online in 2017? Absolutely! :)

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I would dispute that Ventrilo has better audio than Discord. In Ventrilo it seemed like everyone was either extremely loud or so quiet I couldn't hear them even with maxed out volume.

Discord on the other hand, everyone's volume and audio quality is good and there are more options to adjust the sound if it wasn't.

Also, there is already an Oceania Discord room with about 10 people using it daily, I'm in it too.

It doesn't really make sense to split up the already tiny population of Oceania between two different chat programs.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Discord is an unnecessarily bloated memory hog of a program. It uses somewhere in the order of 150MB of RAM while Vent only uses around 15MB.
Wow 150mb?? It uses 17.7mb for me. I don't have VENT installed to check but I would agree that its probably is way less.

I would dispute that Ventrilo has better audio than Discord. In Ventrilo it seemed like everyone was either extremely loud or so quiet I couldn't hear them even with maxed out volume.
Same here. I found some people were really loud and some were very quiet. I would adjust the levels but it just became a pain in the ass.

The things I love about discord are the fact it has a built in text chat, its so easy to invite and moderate the channel. You can also view people in the channels without connecting. The phone app is also awesome and of course ITS FREE!

However respect to you @Oceania Ventrilo for offering a free voice server. Nobody can knock this. Great for the UO community *tips hat*.

Oceania Ventrilo

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
There is an option to turn individual user's volume up and down in Vent if required. I explained how to do it in the FAQ part of the original post in this thread. That's one of the great things about Vent, it gives you full control of settings like that.

Discord on the other hand, everyone's volume and audio quality is good and there are more options to adjust the sound if it wasn't.
The audio quality in Discord varies literally from second to second and ranges for decent to absolutely terrible, which is something you have no control over as like I explained before the bandwidth is shared with many other people who aren't even in your personal Discord channel but are using the same server.

Also, there is already an Oceania Discord room with about 10 people using it daily, I'm in it too.

It doesn't really make sense to split up the already tiny population of Oceania between two different chat programs.
We have been running this Vent server successfully for many years, well before Discord even existed. We have many long term regular users. I am aware of the Discord room you mentioned. Nobody ever says a word in it, it's all just off topic text chat. That's fine if people wish to do that, but that's not why we have a VoIP server for. We run our Vent for UO voice chat and radio streaming.

This really wasn't meant to be a Vent vs Discord debate. We are very happy with. The quality of service that Vent has provided for many years and will be continuing to use it until something better comes along. We investigated using Discord but found that it did not meet our requirements. If other people wish to use it, that's perfectly fine and up to them, but we have chosen to continue using Vent. It should also be noted that it doesn't have to be a choice of one or the other. People are free to use both if they wish.

Oceania Ventrilo

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Wow 150mb?? It uses 17.7mb for me. I don't have VENT installed to check but I would agree that its probably is way less.

This is what I just got from having Vent and Discord open at the same time. Discord uses three or more processes, which could be why only one is showing that amount for you.

Same here. I found some people were really loud and some were very quiet. I would adjust the levels but it just became a pain in the ass.
That's all down to what individuals have their mic input volume set to and how far they have it from their mouth. That's why there is the option to adjust the volume to suit your own needs.

The things I love about discord are the fact it has a built in text chat, its so easy to invite and moderate the channel. You can also view people in the channels without connecting. The phone app is also awesome and of course ITS FREE!
Ventrilo has all those things too. The server isn't free, but I am more than happy to pay the small amount for it and have been doing so for years. You get what you pay for. It is however 100% free for users. I do concede that Discord's text chat is much better, but that's not what we use a VoIP program for. If I want to talk in text chat I will do so in UO itself or something like Facebook or ICQ.

However respect to you @Oceania Ventrilo for offering a free voice server. Nobody can knock this. Great for the UO community *tips hat*.
Thank you :) I really appreciate that. Like I said before this post really wasn't meant to start a Vent vs Discord war. I was just letting the wider UO community know about our Vent server and inviting people to come listen to the radio stations or chat to some Aussies.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ventrilo offers ZERO way to leave anyone a message forcing you to use stuff like ICQ on top of Ventrilo... further cutting your bandwidth if this is what concerns you...
Ventrilo you can't take a screenshot and post it into to show your friends and those your with what's going on or what they missed... there are no messages, no pictures, nothing but voice. You can not post helpful information to others and must rely on yet another program to do so. With Discord it's all in one.

Yes certainly it uses more but it also GIVES more.

I used Ventrilo for years and was always having issues with it locking up... doing strange crap like giving feedback from some folk that was like nails on a chalkboard... some people sounded like they were a million miles from the mic... Others no matter how much you turned them down sounded like the mic was somewhere in the back of their throat half swallowed... garbled somewhat by the loudness... don't have that in Discord. Generally if someone there sounds far away it's because they have swiveled the mic up over their head or down under their chin and a simple reminder fixes it.

Discord gives more and is an all in one program without needing anything else.

Oh an lets not forget that if you want more than a few folk in your server... Discord is FREE... Vent has to be PAID. And they shut you off the moment it's not.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I use both

processes.jpg

While Discord uses only 15 for me, Vent uses 2.9....still minimal on both with 2 browsers, ICQ and UO running :)

You can post a link in Vent using the comments, and also leave a message using comments..not as functional as Discord but it is still doable.

It's just whatever people prefer, nothing is wrong with either :)

Oceania Ventrilo

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Ventrilo offers ZERO way to leave anyone a message forcing you to use stuff like ICQ on top of Ventrilo... further cutting your bandwidth if this is what concerns you...
Ventrilo you can't take a screenshot and post it into to show your friends and those your with what's going on or what they missed... there are no messages, no pictures, nothing but voice. You can not post helpful information to others and must rely on yet another program to do so. With Discord it's all in one.

Yes certainly it uses more but it also GIVES more.

I used Ventrilo for years and was always having issues with it locking up... doing strange crap like giving feedback from some folk that was like nails on a chalkboard... some people sounded like they were a million miles from the mic... Others no matter how much you turned them down sounded like the mic was somewhere in the back of their throat half swallowed... garbled somewhat by the loudness... don't have that in Discord. Generally if someone there sounds far away it's because they have swiveled the mic up over their head or down under their chin and a simple reminder fixes it.

Discord gives more and is an all in one program without needing anything else.

Oh an lets not forget that if you want more than a few folk in your server... Discord is FREE... Vent has to be PAID. And they shut you off the moment it's not.
Vent actually does have both global text chat as well as user to user private chat. You can also set comments and share links etc... Now granted Discord's TEXT chat is better but like I have said before that's not why we use a VoIP program. When it comes to VoIP, Vent comes out on top. Vent gives you options for both inbound and outbound equalizers, frequency, pan, reverb, chorus, flanger, echo, compressor, full iTunes/Winamp/Windows Media Player integration, text-to-speech notifications and chat, cross channel transmitting, and user paging options. You can even enable full surround sound in Ventrilo and position each user in a different location in a 3D sound environment. Discord has nothing even remotely close to that level of sound customization and sounds like you're speaking to the other person through a tin can. Vent uses both less local computer resources as well as less internet bandwidth but manages to provide far superior audio quality and customization. So if you're lagging while you're playing UO and have Discord open, now you know why.

Ventrilo is also free too because I am providing the server free to everyone. Personally, I am more than happy to pay the small price for the server hosting, as I have been for many years, as it provides an unmatched service that you can't get with something like Discord. Again, Vent is 100% free for users and the only person who has to pay anything is me.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Vent actually does have both global text chat as well as user to user private chat. You can also set comments and share links etc... Now granted Discord's TEXT chat is better but like I have said before that's not why we use a VoIP program. When it comes to VoIP, Vent comes out on top. Vent gives you options for both inbound and outbound equalizers, frequency, pan, reverb, chorus, flanger, echo, compressor, full iTunes/Winamp/Windows Media Player integration, text-to-speech notifications and chat, cross channel transmitting, and user paging options. You can even enable full surround sound in Ventrilo and position each user in a different location in a 3D sound environment. Discord has nothing even remotely close to that level of sound customization and sounds like you're speaking to the other person through a tin can. Vent uses both less local computer resources as well as less internet bandwidth but manages to provide far superior audio quality and customization. So if you're lagging while you're playing UO and have Discord open, now you know why.

Ventrilo is also free too because I am providing the server free to everyone. Personally, I am more than happy to pay the small price for the server hosting, as I have been for many years, as it provides an unmatched service that you can't get with something like Discord. Again, Vent is 100% free for users and the only person who has to pay anything is me.
That chat only works while people are ON you can't leave people offline messages... or anything else. Vent never worked that good I used it for years... and now I will never go back. Vent was horrible while I used it. Vent often was crashing and causing issues. Had serious reverb issues with some folk... the quality of voice is highly dependent on the quality of sound the player uses... I've had people in vent that sounded terrible... and it was because they were using cheap mic's and headsets... NO PROGRAM will fix that. Sound quality has more to do with hardware than software.

And Discord has never lagged me. I use a modern computer with a decent bandwidth... anyone who does should not have any issues with Discord.

Vent is not free... someone has to pay.

While yes people can use it for free if someone pays... that doesn't make it free.

Discord replaces Skype, Vent and ICQ. As well as gives private channels, servers, chats, pinned messages, notes, private messages when people are offline or on... and has not had any issues and I use it with groups like the No Man's Sky server that has over 100 users... you can upload images, set links, give permissions and passwords... etc...

But keep using vent. I prefer to move forward and lose the overhead of ICQ+Vent+Skype... but I guess that's why I run the EC/Pincos. Rather than CC+automap+UOAssist... etc...

All about preferences I suppose. But I gave up ICQ when they started wanting me to give them my phone# every time I wanted to add someone to it... I'm not giving my phone# to them.

Oceania Ventrilo

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
That chat only works while people are ON you can't leave people offline messages... or anything else. Vent never worked that good I used it for years... and now I will never go back. Vent was horrible while I used it. Vent often was crashing and causing issues. Had serious reverb issues with some folk... the quality of voice is highly dependent on the quality of sound the player uses... I've had people in vent that sounded terrible... and it was because they were using cheap mic's and headsets... NO PROGRAM will fix that. Sound quality has more to do with hardware than software.
Exactly! If someone is using a bad mic or has it positioned badly, then it will sound bad no matter which program is used. However, let's say that two users are using identical broadcast quality top of the range mics and one is in Vent and one is in Discord. The person in Vent will always sound better as Vent uses a constant bit rate, while Discord uses a variable bit rate that constantly fluctuates based on how much load there is on the Discord server. This is why the audio quality in Discord will often go up and down mid-conversation and range from decent to absolutely terrible. These are the consequences of using a variable bit rate. The quality in Vent never changes and always remains the same as whatever setting the admin has set the quality of the channel to.

And Discord has never lagged me. I use a modern computer with a decent bandwidth... anyone who does should not have any issues with Discord.
I am using a computer built less than a year ago which has a Octacore 4GHz AMD Vishera processor and 8GB of RAM. It chews through the most demanding tasks with ease. The computer used is not the issue here. It doesn't matter if you're using a PC from 10 years ago or from 1 year ago, Vent will always use less of it's resources than Discord will. It should also be noted that many UO players still use quite old PCs. You can literally use a PC from 20 years ago and still play UO quite well on it. The same is true for Ventrilo but is not the case for Discord.

Vent is not free... someone has to pay.

While yes people can use it for free if someone pays... that doesn't make it free.
And I am paying, so therefore it is free for everyone else to use.

Discord replaces Skype, Vent and ICQ. As well as gives private channels, servers, chats, pinned messages, notes, private messages when people are offline or on... and has not had any issues and I use it with groups like the No Man's Sky server that has over 100 users... you can upload images, set links, give permissions and passwords... etc...
Again, we are concerned with the quality of the VoIP service, not anything else. As I have already demonstrated, Ventrilo is far superior to Discord when it comes to audio communications.

But keep using vent. I prefer to move forward and lose the overhead of ICQ+Vent+Skype... but I guess that's why I run the EC/Pincos. Rather than CC+automap+UOAssist... etc...
Oh man :lol: we're not going to turn this into a CC vs EC debate, are we? I think I'll leave that alone and stay on topic. However, I will make this comparison that most reading this should be able to relate to. Vent is like UO; it's older and doesn't look as flash, but it does what it does very well and is unmatched in terms of quality and features. Discord on the other hand is like WoW; it's newer and has more modern graphics, but when it comes to it's core content and features it falls well short of the mark.

All about preferences I suppose. But I gave up ICQ when they started wanting me to give them my phone# every time I wanted to add someone to it... I'm not giving my phone# to them.
That's exactly right, it is all about personal preference. If you prefer Discord, which you clearly do, that's perfectly fine and you should continue using it. Our choice is to continue using Vent as it meets our requirements and works exceptionally well for what we use it for. Like I said before, we investigated using Discord a couple of months ago but found that it was not up to scratch for what we wanted to use it for.

Dorset

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No need to keep bashing the OP, he's just trying to do something positive for the community.

Nothing like a bit of Stratics bashing.........

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not sure what ICQ you have used, but in the 16+ yrs I have used it I have NEVER been asked for my phone number. LOL

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Not sure what ICQ you have used, but in the 16+ yrs I have used it I have NEVER been asked for my phone number. LOL
You probably haven't updated it to the newest version then. About two years ago it updated itself automatically and refused to let me send anyone a message without adding my phone number.

They say that you can't send messages to people with a linked phone number if your phone isn't linked also. So it forces everyone to add it just to communicate with people already on their list.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You probably haven't updated it to the newest version then. About two years ago it updated itself automatically and refused to let me send anyone a message without adding my phone number.

They say that you can't send messages to people with a linked phone number if your phone isn't linked also. So it forces everyone to add it just to communicate with people already on their list.
As you just said, it auto updates itself now so yes I have the latest version and I've had it for awhile. Nope, never been asked for my phone number. I'd think after 16+ years, I'd know how ICQ works. ;)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As you just said, it auto updates itself now so yes I have the latest version and I've had it for awhile. Nope, never been asked for my phone number. I'd think after 16+ years, I'd know how ICQ works. ;)
Always asks for mine... can't add anyone... so I quit using it.

Also ICQ is now owned by the Russians... I was constantly plagued by getting requests from creeps in China, Indonesia, and other countries in the region asking to be "friends with america girl" ... It was disturbing and annoying...

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Always asks for mine... can't add anyone... so I quit using it.

Also ICQ is now owned by the Russians... I was constantly plagued by getting requests from creeps in China, Indonesia, and other countries in the region asking to be "friends with america girl" ... It was disturbing and annoying...
Yeah, that gets annoying too. It doesn't just happen to women either. About once a week some random person who doesn't speak English tries to get me to click on links to their webcam sex websites, which will clearly have viruses if anyone is naive enough to click them.

They don't give up either, I've tried talking to them before just to see if they were bots or not... nope, it's a real person, longest conversation lasted over an hour. They would just keep working their website back into the conversation every few minutes.

I also get randomly added to group chats with over 1,000 people in them against my will pretty regularly. It's normally a person trying to sell something who just adds every random person they can find.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah, that gets annoying too. It doesn't just happen to women either. About once a week some random person who doesn't speak English tries to get me to click on links to their webcam sex websites, which will clearly have viruses if anyone is naive enough to click them.

They don't give up either, I've tried talking to them before just to see if they were bots or not... nope, it's a real person, longest conversation lasted over an hour. They would just keep working their website back into the conversation every few minutes.
I talked to one about that long or longer once trying to figure out how the heck they got my ICQ etc when I had it set to not allow messages from folk NOT on my list... and lo and behold the ICQ website itself has me advertised open to anyone to view my profile... no way to NOT allow that.

And I was bombarded with constant requests...

I was informed long ago that the Russian hackers enjoy getting low # ICQ's ... the lower the better... They haven't hacked mine yet but then I don't use it but once a month if even and since I can't add anyone it's useless to me.

Irony talking about this crap in here and hackers etc... wanting my phone # and my phone goes off and it's one of those "Travel Agency" calls about how I'm a loyal customer... I haven't flown in a plane or traveled or anything using a booking agency or anything I haven't been on a plane since 1984... I drove to the 20th party...

I get enough stupid phone calls like that despite being on the "no call list" which is a JOKE... From travel agency crap to my warranty on my car (toyota) that I've NEVER owned... I've never owned a Toyota in my LIFE... and I don't intend to start now.

Last edited: